2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Taylormade MG4 Wedges

spinnywedge

2 hours ago, hwturner17 said:

need some specs on Rory's lobber. That low spinner he hit was a religious experience 

60 degree "RW" grind I believe I saw, let me try and find it....

I don't know how accurate that is though, wrong putter listed: https://www.golfwrx.com/724132/2023-ryder-cup-witbs-team-europe/

image.png.62fc95fd3eea30bbd355696545e9f058.png

Edited by PickItUpGolf
  • Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

1 hour ago, endy said:

Yes it is a special RM-07 grind, there is a TM video somewhere of Rory explaining it 

Well durr (to me!) obviously it's RM not RW, I thought "W" sounded wrong haha!

Must've been looking at the text the wrong way round 🤪

Edited by PickItUpGolf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PickItUpGolf said:

Well durr (to me!) obviously it's RM not RW, I thought "M" sounded wrong haha!

Must've been looking at the text the wrong way round 🤪

Haha! I know I saw a video of Rory explaining what he wanted out of the grind and how they landed on the 60-07 but I cannot find it at the moment...

These would sell like hotcakes if they released them to the public after the dirty little nipper he hit yesterday 

Edited by endy
  • Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 3:01 PM, jwb10 said:

Now have the TW 56 and the 58 V-grind. Nice clubs, good performance, as expected in a premium wedge. I was very happy TM made customization so easy, and how quickly they arrived. I have had no problems, however, toweling them clean....😎

What’s the reasoning behind the 2° gap in wedges? Just curious. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone sticking with MG3 instead of going to MG4?

I’ve been playing MG3’s for 2 years and absolutely love them…my wedge game has never been better but they are starting to wear so due for a refresh (Stock shaft 52/56/60LB)

The only difference I’m going to make is possibly go for the TW grind in the 56/60 as my LB60 is not the greatest in boggy wet winter! I’m in 2 minds whether to pick up an exact same set of MG3 and save some cash (all 3 for £350) or go for the MG4 and part with an additional £200

The lighter shaft in the MG4 is a concern (yes I know I can go custom) but I have my yardages absolutely dialled in with the MG3. It seems that the only real difference is the finish and the face tech but given the reports of the etching wearing off quick, last gen face tech may be just as good!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nickosbad said:

Anyone sticking with MG3 instead of going to MG4?

I also played the MG3’s in my sig for two seasons and traded them out for MG4’s due to high wear.

The image below is the 50 after about 100 balls. The “spin tread” in the impact zone is close to gone.
The other head is a Cleveland CG14. It’s over 15 years old and has hit thousands of shots. In comparison, it’s close to new.

My initial thought was that TM had grossly miscalculated the wear levels of this material and face finish. However, this amount of wear could be easily seen in a single day of testing. It appears more likely IMO that the MG3’s intended purchase cycle was indeed 2 seasons and the MG4’s has been reduced to 1.

While the groove rule change’s intended purpose may have been to limit spin rates, its effect has been the growth of micro grooves and surface finishes with significantly reduced lifespan. 

IMG_1725.jpeg.a7b4ef928a4aa3c8d89a11591d8a91ee.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I

On 10/14/2023 at 1:37 PM, Jeff58 said:

I also played the MG3’s in my sig for two seasons and traded them out for MG4’s due to high wear.

The image below is the 50 after about 100 balls. The “spin tread” in the impact zone is close to gone.
The other head is a Cleveland CG14. It’s over 15 years old and has hit thousands of shots. In comparison, it’s close to new.

My initial thought was that TM had grossly miscalculated the wear levels of this material and face finish. However, this amount of wear could be easily seen in a single day of testing. It appears more likely IMO that the MG3’s intended purchase cycle was indeed 2 seasons and the MG4’s has been reduced to 1.

While the groove rule change’s intended purpose may have been to limit spin rates, its effect has been the growth of micro grooves and surface finishes with significantly reduced lifespan. 

IMG_1725.jpeg.a7b4ef928a4aa3c8d89a11591d8a91ee.jpeg

I see no wear? I have a set of rtx4 if you want to see actual “wear”. And they still spin great 

Callaway Smoke TD Max 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym TD 3W- evenflow white 75x 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Callaway apex CB - 4-Pw - 6.0 PX LZ 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
LAB DF3 

36 minutes ago, Kale_m said:

I

I see no wear? I have a set of rtx4 if you want to see actual “wear”. And they still spin great 

I would invite you to try them for yourself.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Got my mg4 60 in.  Appears to have a more rounded leading edge which I’ve never really been a fan of.  We’ll see how it goes.  Really like my mg3

IMG_0568.jpeg.f3f8f7b71c3b74e9ae9772e68f7295f2.jpeg

78198EA1-AD0B-4C92-A53C-25B64403CBCC.jpeg.4bf4a8f93dd2a639b8e45bf60a9abee5.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg.a5cf6260d9578bc3330e74ed2e9ff7a1.jpeg

Edited by Kylekoz17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

On 10/15/2023 at 7:33 PM, Jeff58 said:

I would invite you to try them for yourself.

Send them my way if you’re throwing them out! 

LAB DF3 

• 1 month later...

Want to do a bit of a revisit on these if people don't mind...

How are your MG4s wearing?

And.. 

How are the performing? 

Currently have a couple in the bag, and I'm testing them against Vokey SM9, Mizuno S23 (should've waited for the T24 maybe), and the '23 Cobra Snakebite.

I'm only able to test indoors which isn't ideal, but want to compare some spin numbers and things like that on Trackman.

Luckily, I have a more worn down wedge that's been used, and also one that's unopened, so I can hopefully test spin rates of Brand new vs worn, should be interesting!

Edited by PickItUpGolf
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

And.. 

How are the performing? 

Currently have a couple in the bag, and I'm testing them against Vokey SM9, Mizuno S23 (should've waited for the T24 maybe), and the '23 Cobra Snakebite.

I'm only able to test indoors which isn't ideal, but want to compare some spin numbers and things like that on Trackman.

Luckily, I have a more worn down wedge that's been used, and also one that's unopened, so I can hopefully test spin rates of Brand new vs worn, should be interesting!

Count me in as interested.  I likely upgrade my Glide 3.0 next year.   I do like the look of those snakebites. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

8 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

And.. 

How are the performing? 

I am interested in personal reviews of the MG4’s also. I went to Golf Galaxy last weekend and did their wedge fitting. What they told me is that I’d benefit most from higher bounce wedges (that’s what I usually play) so I guess I’m using the right stuff already. I compared the MG4 SB grind against my current mid grind RTX Zipcore wedges. They are very similar in feel and spin, which is a good thing. If I were to get new wedges, I’d give the MG4’s a go. I’ll probably get them anyway.

Edited by pmang
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
Odyssey WH OG #7 34”

The only thing that is bothersome about the MG wedges is the chrome ring on the hosel. For some reason just looks "cheap" to me. The MG4 does seem like a nice wedge though otherwise. 

• Like 1

WITB:

Woods: Titleist TSR2 9° Driver, TSR2 3 wood, Titleist T200 2iron

Irons: 2023 Titleist T150 (4-GW)

Wedges: 54D12°, 60M08° Wedges

Putter: Spider Tour Z

Ball: TP5x

On 11/18/2023 at 5:47 PM, Minarets said:

Count me in as interested.  I likely upgrade my Glide 3.0 next year.   I do like the look of those snakebites. 

I think the Snakebites feel the most likely to go through anything, if that's something you might be after? I also like the full face.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:35 PM, maximusppl said:

The only thing that is bothersome about the MG wedges is the chrome ring on the hosel. For some reason just looks "cheap" to me. The MG4 does seem like a nice wedge though otherwise. 

I actually like that!

Okay, going to try and put everything I tested today into a post and not ramble too much, be right back....

• Thanks 1

This is what my bag looked like this morning:

4 X Milled Grind 4s

2 X Titleist Vokey SM9s (ignore the 54s nickel/steel, didn't use it)

2 X Mizuno S23s

1 X Cobra Snakebite

And a few of my p790s to play some par 3s with...

Going to try and make some sense of all this, and keep it somewhat brief, I can ramble a bit!

Feel

Feel is something that's super important to me, but might be difficult to nail down with different shafts and different weights, but I'll try my best.

Vokey SM9s

It's not surprising why these are so popular, overall they feel really nicely balanced to me, and they swing really nicely, with good feel off the face.

Mizuno s23s

Feel a little lighter weight, so if that's something you enjoy? You'll not go wrong here. You might not be surprised that I'm going to say the face on these feels absolutely superb. Only downside to me personally is the weight, because they feel a little too loose to me, but that face interaction is something! 

Cobra Snakebite

These to me feel the heaviest heads of the bunch, and they would give me the most confidence in thick rough and wetter conditions. There's something different to the shape too, being the more pearl drop shaped of the bunch I've played with here. 

NOTE: I only have a 50* and 56* in these so just took the 56 along because I was comparing against a 54, 58 and a 60.

TaylorMade Milled Grind 4s

Feel wise, I think these might be the most balanced of the lot. They're not as soft as the Mizunos off the face, but they do feel a little softer to me than the other 2.

They also swing really nicely, and I think they feel among the best balanced also.

Not a perfect test...

I've got a mix of shafts here, from s400 dynamic golds in the Cobras, to the lighter weight 115g tour issues in the MG4s, so maybe that influences some of these feels at least a little.

If I had to pick a winner based off of feel? I think as an overall package, I do think the MG4 wins it ever so slightly, but I'm not yet sure if I'll be replacing the SM9s with them or not.

Next I'll try to get some of my performance numbers across and also talk a little about those laser etches grooves. That might take a while to put together...

IMG_4354.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PickItUpGolf said:

This is what my bag looked like this morning:

4 X Milled Grind 4s

2 X Titleist Vokey SM9s (ignore the 54s nickel/steel, didn't use it)

2 X Mizuno S23s

1 X Cobra Snakebite

And a few of my p790s to play some par 3s with...

Going to try and make some sense of all this, and keep it somewhat brief, I can ramble a bit!

Feel

Feel is something that's super important to me, but might be difficult to nail down with different shafts and different weights, but I'll try my best.

Vokey SM9s

It's not surprising why these are so popular, overall they feel really nicely balanced to me, and they swing really nicely, with good feel off the face.

Mizuno s23s

Feel a little lighter weight, so if that's something you enjoy? You'll not go wrong here. You might not be surprised that I'm going to say the face on these feels absolutely superb. Only downside to me personally is the weight, because they feel a little too loose to me, but that face interaction is something! 

Cobra Snakebite

These to me feel the heaviest heads of the bunch, and they would give me the most confidence in thick rough and wetter conditions. There's something different to the shape too, being the more pearl drop shaped of the bunch I've played with here. 

NOTE: I only have a 50* and 56* in these so just took the 56 along because I was comparing against a 54, 58 and a 60.

TaylorMade Milled Grind 4s

Feel wise, I think these might be the most balanced of the lot. They're not as soft as the Mizunos off the face, but they do feel a little softer to me than the other 2.

They also swing really nicely, and I think they feel among the best balanced also.

Not a perfect test...

I've got a mix of shafts here, from s400 dynamic golds in the Cobras, to the lighter weight 115g tour issues in the MG4s, so maybe that influences some of these feels at least a little.

If I had to pick a winner based off of feel? I think as an overall package, I do think the MG4 wins it ever so slightly, but I'm not yet sure if I'll be replacing the SM9s with them or not.

Next I'll try to get some of my performance numbers across and also talk a little about those laser etches grooves. That might take a while to put together...

IMG_4354.jpeg

Whew seems like analysis paralysis lol. 

I kid, I kid. I see you say you have different shafts so it seems like you might want to get apples to apples with the only exception being the clubhead to properly test. Just my $.02. However, the info from testing is always helpful to me personally, so thanks!

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 70g TX
3w: Ping G430 MAX 15° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 80g TX

2i: Srixon Zx7 UT 105Tx 

4-7: Srixon Zx7 MKii DG X7

8-PW: Srixon Z-Forged II DG X7

50°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

54°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

58°: Ping Glide 4.0 6T DG S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select GoLo 6

39 minutes ago, JustAPlusGuy said:

Whew seems like analysis paralysis lol. 

I kid, I kid. I see you say you have different shafts so it seems like you might want to get apples to apples with the only exception being the clubhead to properly test. Just my $.02. However, the info from testing is always helpful to me personally, so thanks!

It is a little bit analysis paralysis for sure! But I am trying to pick my wedges for the next couple seasons (hopefully lol). 

The main reason I have a mix of shafts is because they're all my own clubs, apart from the MG4s too, so not entirely ideal testing.

• Like 1

Laser Etched Face on the MG4 - Good, Bad, or Doesn't matter?

Trying to make sense of the spin, and my concerns on the face wearing was the other thing here, you'll see in the photo above that I had one entirely brand new MG4, I forgot to take to pics of all the face, but the others which were open, 2 of them had been used as demo clubs all summer, one of the others I unwrapped new the other day.

So the 58 LBV was worn/used, and the HB 13 54* too. 

Surprisingly: my lowest spinning shots were all from the 54* SB 11. That was new in plastic this morning, I was expecting that one to spin a little higher being new. It did hit a few in the 10k range, but the average was low, and my lowest spin shots came off the newest face.

Weird!

So I kanda put my mind at rest about whether or not the face wearing off would cause any problems, and it really doesn't seem like it's going to.

But!

Based off the spin numbers, the Vokeys, and s23s actually averaged out the best. The Snakebites seem to generate less spin.

So overall verdict? The Vokeys were probably a close joint second in terms of feel, but numbers wise? They're joint first.

So I think I've made my mind up, and the Vokeys will be staying in the bag. Although it's very tough to pick!

Edited by PickItUpGolf
  • Like 1

I had a chance last week to hit some MG4 wedges from a TM rep who visited my club. Currently I play Cleveland RTX wedges in 54* and 58*. I recently fitted into P790s (+0.5", 2* up) which came with a gap wedge that I really like, so I've been leaving my 50* wedge at home...

Anyways, the MG4 wedges the guy had on hand were pretty well used. I hit the 54* and 58* wedges w/ stock SB/11* bounce on each. For me, I almost always use the 54* under 100 yds and so I need for it to feel good and have some versatility. My full swings were all pretty much bang on 100yds, nice high flight, felt pretty good. Not sure they were so amazing as to make me want to buy them. Even with the worn "treatment" on the face they spun as good as any other wedge I've tried... I wouldn't get too caught up in that personally. To me it seems like a bit of a gimmick. The wear marks on the wedges I hit had pretty much deleted all of those markings between the grooves but they still performed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwweston said:

I had a chance last week to hit some MG4 wedges from a TM rep who visited my club. Currently I play Cleveland RTX wedges in 54* and 58*. I recently fitted into P790s (+0.5", 2* up) which came with a gap wedge that I really like, so I've been leaving my 50* wedge at home...

Anyways, the MG4 wedges the guy had on hand were pretty well used. I hit the 54* and 58* wedges w/ stock SB/11* bounce on each. For me, I almost always use the 54* under 100 yds and so I need for it to feel good and have some versatility. My full swings were all pretty much bang on 100yds, nice high flight, felt pretty good. Not sure they were so amazing as to make me want to buy them. Even with the worn "treatment" on the face they spun as good as any other wedge I've tried... I wouldn't get too caught up in that personally. To me it seems like a bit of a gimmick. The wear marks on the wedges I hit had pretty much deleted all of those markings between the grooves but they still performed.

That's exactly what I found too.

I was worried that if the laser etched stuff was gone, what happens then? But doesn't seem to matter at all really.

If anything, the only downside to the grooves is they're going to take off too much coating on balls until it's gone IMO. Might even be better off without it being there maybe haha.

8 hours ago, PickItUpGolf said:

It is a little bit analysis paralysis for sure! But I am trying to pick my wedges for the next couple seasons (hopefully lol). 

The main reason I have a mix of shafts is because they're all my own clubs, apart from the MG4s too, so not entirely ideal testing.

You can get multiple seasons out of your wedges? I can get a summer out of mine. With as much as I practice with them and then playing tournaments they get worn spots pretty quickly and I start to notice the ball balloon a little on the control shots and a little less grab around the greens. 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 70g TX
3w: Ping G430 MAX 15° Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 80g TX

2i: Srixon Zx7 UT 105Tx 

4-7: Srixon Zx7 MKii DG X7

8-PW: Srixon Z-Forged II DG X7

50°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

54°: TaylorMade MG4 DG X100

58°: Ping Glide 4.0 6T DG S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Super Select GoLo 6

Just now, JustAPlusGuy said:

You can get multiple seasons out of your wedges? I can get a summer out of mine. With as much as I practice with them and then playing tournaments they get worn spots pretty quickly and I start to notice the ball balloon a little on the control shots and a little less grab around the greens. 

I don't know yet is the honest answer, maybe not lol

First full season this past year, 80 rounds or so. With a lot of changes/rotation in the bag. So I guess we'll have to wait to see on that next year.

Might not even be that I use the same wedge for 2 seasons, but might want the same model twice in a row if I get comfortable with them.

The new Pings still need to be tested too...

• Like 1

I have played my rtx4 for 3 seasons now. Prob about 200 rounds. 

they still rip back on the greens no problem.

manufactures have drilled it into us that we need new ones after so many rounds,  just like the mechanic tries to sell you car parts you don’t need 

LAB DF3