2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Worried that using line on ball when putting takes too much time

19 minutes ago, Dpavs said:

I have found that for myself, simply using the alignment aid on the putter and picking a spot on the green along my intended line about 10-14 inches in front of my ball works much better than any line on a ball aimed at a distant spot ever did.

Some people (like me) have been taught to focus on a spot even with the hole for intended start line, rather than something nearby.  But, like you, I'm envisioning the startline of the putt and aligning the ball to match - I'm just using a target near the hole rather than something close to my ballmark.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

50 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

So, how to you line your shot on the fairway? Did your pro teach you that?

Of course you cannot do it in the fairway. But why not take advantage of the help on the tee box? I don't leave mud on my ball on the green or on the tee just because I can't clean it in the fairway.

But you of course know better...

• Like 2

If the line assists in making more putts, keep using it. Spend the time on the practice green and figure out how you can increase your efficiency and accuracy. Incorporate this into your PSR and carry on.

Do yourself a favor and don't time yourself until you figure out what works best for you. Then practice with a timer until you get into a "compliant" groove.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

2 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

Misaligned the line in relation to what exactly? There is no line to be misaligned from. It’s a visual line that one chooses to be correct for the putt they intend to hit. A putter can only start the ball on the his intended line with his intended speed. If he does that and misses, it was is a misread. Not because he misaligned the line to his intended line 999 times out of 1000.

I guess you did not read my 1st post on this thread so I quote it here:

"You should also bear in mind that an error of one single degree in a 5 yard putt is 3,14 inches at the hole which means you will always miss your putt if you cannot line your ball up exactly accurately. And trust me, you cannot, you will always make an error of one or more degrees."

2 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

Of course you cannot do it in the fairway. But why not take advantage of the help on the tee box? I don't leave mud on my ball on the green or on the tee just because I can't clean it in the fairway.

But you of course know better...

I simply wonder why one should use several different methods in aligning a shot. To me that sounds really stupid. Especially when they take more time than needed.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I simply wonder why one should use several different methods in aligning a shot. To me that sounds really stupid. Especially when they take more time than needed.

What insight - I think that I will stop using a tee on the tee box because I cannot use one from the fairway. 

dave

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I bring the ball to my left eye, align it with the ballmark and target, then set it down exactly how it is.  It takes only a few seconds.  I can't line it up while the ball is on the ground, it's nearly impossible.

I only do it to help with my initial alignment.  After that, I'm like Aaron Baddeley, I look at the target then quickly at the ball and putt towards the image of the target fresh in my mind.  I can't use the line to "guide" my stroke, I just can't trust it so I only use it for initial setup.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

10 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

It is interesting that amateurs in a rules forum tell you that the line on a ball method is ineffective or that there are better methods to use, when the pros that make a living use this method quite extensively. The best golfers I know all use a line on their ball to help them make more putts and get the ball closer to the hole when they miss.

I'm a golf professional, a very good putter, and don't use the line. And I've tested a lot of players. The line isn't as helpful as you may think, nor are players as good at or as consistent at aligning it as you may think.

I said a lot more in the other recent topic on this, so I'm not going to re-hash it all here. Just this bit.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Don't be fooled by the actions of the TV professional men and women. They are just pretending to use the line, you know, just going through the motions, because they are all paid secret millions by the Sharpie Company. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I'm a golf professional, a very good putter, and don't use the line. And I've tested a lot of players. The line isn't as helpful as you may think, nor are players as good at or as consistent at aligning it as you may think.

I said a lot more in the other recent topic on this, so I'm not going to re-hash it all here. Just this bit.

I don't know if this is agreeing or disagreeing with @iacas, but in my case I found using the line effectively to be quite difficult. Learning to accurately aim your line without excessive tweaking is hard (as is accurately aiming your line even WITH excessive tweaking). Getting used to putting on a line that looks WAY left of the target is hard. Taking all the fine motion out of your hands when putting (somehow that is absolutely crucial for me when using the line) is hard. 

But for the first time in my life practicing putting does not feel like "practicing coin flipping". 

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC

7 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

I guess you did not read my 1st post on this thread so I quote it here:

"You should also bear in mind that an error of one single degree in a 5 yard putt is 3,14 inches at the hole which means you will always miss your putt if you cannot line your ball up exactly accurately. And trust me, you cannot, you will always make an error of one or more degrees."

To someone who is struggling with his putting, you are such an encouragement. 😄

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, larrybud said:

I'll do that once in a while when tee markers/tee box is aimed away from where you want to hit it.

12 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

How the heck do you aim on the fairway???

That is simply ridiculous. And you still need to aim from the back to see where you are trying to shoot.

What's the fairway got to do with it ? He specifically told you WHEN he does it; occasionally - when the tee box isn't lined up "straight" down the fairway.

12 hours ago, Schulzmc said:

Not ridiculous at all. Using a line on the ball (or the Taylormade Response wide line as mentioned above) to help align your tee shot and help you visualize that line while over the ball is extremely helpful. My golf pro taught me this and it has made a huge difference.

Obviously, it's ridiculous, or is that impossible, or stupid, or dumb, or, or, or whatever other pejorative Mr. B might use when someone doesn't do/see things HIS way. :classic_rolleyes:

11 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

So, how to you line your shot on the fairway? Did your pro teach you that?

So there can be only ONE way to aim a shot ? Oh my,,,,,,, oops.gif

I wonder if you know what sounds stupid to me,,,,,,,,,,  nah, I'll bet you already do. :einstein:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 7/17/2023 at 8:10 PM, MBAndrews21 said:

I have been experimenting with using a line on my ball when putting. I have found that it has helped my putting (so far). However, I am concerned that it takes too long for me to line the ball up correctly. Today I timed myself on the practice green, and it was taking about 60 seconds for me to hit each putt (includes reading the putt and lining it up). It always takes me a few attempts to get the ball perfectly lined up. I will try to do this when others are putting, but it is not always possible.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get the balled lined up correctly without taking so long? Is 60 seconds to hit a putt acceptable?

Here ya go newbie - plenty here to read about the line on the ball.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1941456-im-telling-you-guysline-on-ball/

Oh, and don't let the resident curmudgeon bother you. You never really get used to him, but as time goes by you kinda sorta get used to him. :classic_laugh:

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I have met teaching professionals who can be even more encouraging:

"Stop doing stupid things!!"

IMO that is a very good instruction.

Really?  You remind me of a maths teacher I had in the past who was reputed to have said to a colleague on one occasion  (though not of me), "That boy just refuses to understand."   More positively it also reminds me of the various top class trainers who took me through my ski instructor's qualification and subsequent training.  All were always positive, always encouraging, always supportive, always flexible and in coaching us to develop our own coaching emphasised through word and example the need to take clients as they were and work with them to bring out the the best in themselves.

And in all my years in education, I don't think I have ever put a student down because of their mistakes, misunderstandings or even stupidities.  

Stop doing stupid things".  You are joking aren't you? Trying (and succeeding) to wind me up? 😃

Putting a learner down is the very antithesis of good teaching, of good coaching. 

Edited by Colin L
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Colin L said:

Stop doing stupid things".  You are joking aren't you? Trying (and succeeding) to wind me up? 😃

I am dead serious.

"Stop doing stupid things" does not say YOU are stupid and it certainly is not meant to say that.

"Don't take stupid risks"

Does that sound like putting a person down? Or does it wake the person up to think what would be a stupid thing to do and how to avoid it by doing a clever thing instead?

The way I see it you have mixed up a deed with a person. A deed can be stupid without the person having done it being stupid. Besides, we all do stupid things once in a while, even those of us who certainly not are stupid.

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

What's the fairway got to do with it ? He specifically told you WHEN he does it; occasionally - when the tee box isn't lined up "straight" down the fairway.:einstein:

Well, if you need a special method of lining up your ball on the tee due to distracting position of the tee markers how are you going to line up on the fairway , in the rough or in a bunker should there be similar distracting things around you? And why the heck those markers distract you in the first place??

I remember years ago when I was setting tee markers for a competition with our national head referee he laid a comment about tee markers not perfectly perpendicular to the fairway: "If you do not know where to hit your ball you should not come here at all".

I agree with him from all my heart.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Well, if you need a special method of lining up your ball on the tee due to distracting position of the tee markers how are you going to line up on the fairway , in the rough or in a bunker should there be similar distracting things around you? And why the heck those markers distract you in the first place??

I remember years ago when I was setting tee markers for a competition with our national head referee he laid a comment about tee markers not perfectly perpendicular to the fairway: "If you do not know where to hit your ball you should not come here at all".

I agree with him from all my heart.

Providing you place your ball behind the line joining the two tee markers, the alignment is pretty irrelevant. When addressing the ball you can't see the tee marker behind you.

• Like 1

Never used a line as a kid (can't remmeber if anyone did in the 90's). Took 20 years off and am back (3rd year). Battled using a line and putted terribly for 2+ years. I finally gave up and just go with visual/feel. I immediately saw positive results. 

I would stand over the ball and not feel comfortable about my line and was always changing / second guessing it rather than focusing on the actual putt. I never reset though in the interest of pace of play so i'd just make the adjustment on the fly.

Everyone is different though. 

22 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

How the heck do you aim on the fairway???

That is simply ridiculous. And you still need to aim from the back to see where you are trying to shoot.

I pick a spot and swing. But I'm going to use the tools available when they are available. I'm going to clean a ball when on the green, I'm going to tee a ball up on par 3s. Neither of which are available when in the fairway either.

We're all different and not everyone is adept at aiming the line across the top of the ball. It's worth experimenting with different orientations of the line to see if another orientation is easier for you. 

There's a tour pro who likes to set the line so it starts on top of the ball and goes down and around the ball facing the intended line. Another one likes to set the line so it's parallel to his putter face at address. 

I found I struggled most with Divide balls that effectively have a line all the way around the ball. It was hard for me to get that line adjusted well enough for me to trust it. 

If you play around with it you'll probably find a method that suits your eye, mind and approach to reading greens. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I am dead serious.

"Stop doing stupid things" does not say YOU are stupid and it certainly is not meant to say that.

"Don't take stupid risks"

Does that sound like putting a person down? Or does it wake the person up to think what would be a stupid thing to do and how to avoid it by doing a clever thing instead?

The way I see it you have mixed up a deed with a person. A deed can be stupid without the person having done it being stupid. Besides, we all do stupid things once in a while, even those of us who certainly not are stupid.

Essentially, there is no place for the word "stupid" in teaching or coaching.  It is derogatory, demeaning,  potentially hurtful and in terms of encouraging progression, counter-productive.  

And of course I am conflating the deed with the person and that is what the learner is going to do.  There is an old saying "stupid is as stupid does" which encapsulates it.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colin L said:

Essentially, there is no place for the word "stupid" in teaching or coaching.  It is derogatory, demeaning,  potentially hurtful and in terms of encouraging progression, counter-productive.  

And of course I am conflating the deed with the person and that is what the learner is going to do. There is an old saying "stupid is as stupid does" which encapsulates it.  

Not sure how it's on topic, so all I'll say is that I think it's generally a bad idea to make all-encompassing type statements. Smart people can do dumb things without being dumb.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

1 hour ago, Colin L said:

It seems we will have to disagree on this. And for the record, I have been teaching, educating and coaching for more than 40 years and in all environments words like stupid or dumb come up and in most instances not in a derogatory, demaning, etc. meaning.