I'm telling you guys...line on ball

12 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Figure out how to use it. Figure out why you can't. 

From 10' and under AND from 35'+ it is just so much better using the line.

I was a "I can't use it, the line messes me up" guy...you have to retrain your eyes to what straight is.

Use the line and you'll putt better once you have retrained your eyes.

How long has it been working for you since you figured it out?

16 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

A few things

2 weeks is not close to long enough to judge something.  This could just be coinciding with a good streak of putting.

Nothing works for everyone.  Forcing what worked for someone else is the bane of the amateur existence.

Line is almost irrelevant in putting.  Several putting experts have proved that to me, as do the stats.

Line may not be a sufficient cause, but it sure is a necessary one.

I previously went back and forth but been a big fan for years now since I started practicing with a line on the ball as well. It’s a little annoying to hit every putt on the practice green using a line but it really pays off imo. Helps me understand my tendencies with read, check my roll and I’m actually practicing how I play. 

• Like 2

To each his own.  I gave it an honest effort with line for several years along with a bunch of different styles mallets, no bueno for me.  I went back to a naked Anser mallet and putting the ball down with nothing visible except dimples, basically putting like I did when I was a kid and have slowly gotten better and better since.  I do believe it's important for everyone to experiment with what works best for them though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Figure out how to use it. Figure out why you can't. 

From 10' and under AND from 35'+ it is just so much better using the line.

I was a "I can't use it, the line messes me up" guy...you have to retrain your eyes to what straight is.

Use the line and you'll putt better once you have retrained your eyes.

figure out why you need it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

2 weeks is not close to long enough to judge something.  This could just be coinciding with a good streak of putting.

Nothing works for everyone.  Forcing what worked for someone else is the bane of the amateur existence.

Line is almost irrelevant in putting.  Several putting experts have proved that to me, as do the stats.

All of that.

I don't use the line. I line my putter up to where I want to hit the ball, and a line on the ball would distract from that, and pull my eyes to a spot where I don't want my attention drawn.

I've fit enough Edel putters (the "Classic" line) to know that where your eye's focus is pulled has a good effect on where you see straight.

I don't need the line, and in fact, putt better without the line. Plus, it's slow(er).

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I am open to anything when the putter goes cold. However I have found that overall I putt better, particularly on short putts when I don’t use the line. It’s more difficult for me to start the ball on-line when I use the line on the ball. For me, putting is 90% getting my eyes in the right place and then rolling it end over end. If I do those two things I putt decent to very well. Lately my putting has been great. I know many people who use the line religiously. Whatever works.

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

A few things

Could you please explain a little further on the last paragraph? 

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Several levels to this.

First, statistically golfers of all skill levels just don’t make that many putts.  Putting better is all about 3 putt avoidance and that’s getting the speed right.  The more you focus on line, the less you’re focusing on speed.  

Second the line is dependent on what speed you hit it.  When you line up the line you limit yourself to hitting it the speed that line necessitates or you’ll miss it.  You’re taking your brains subconscious ability to adapt.  There is not one line to the hole.  There are multiple variables at work.

I have done this test so many times with so many people 

Attempt A.  I align them incorrectly, but competently on 6-50 foot putts and say just hit it solid the right speed with no attention to line at all.

Attempt B.  We roll putts at the hole and forgive out the prefect line for a putt that goes less than a foot passed the hole and I line them up perfectly on that line.  Then I say make this putt on that lone.

A destroys B by such a wide margin it’s  comical.  

One of the worst things a golfer can do is discern anything from a small sample size.  Golfers remember the one day where they hooped in everything and try and recapture that magic and long term, putt worse.  Watching golf on TV Sunday doesn’t help this either.  People get the idea that’s what good putting is.  Those are the elite players who are putting the best that day.  That’s almost like thinking you can solve your retirement finances by buying lottery tickets.

So far in my 40 years as a golfer and teacher, in both my epiphanies and seeing those of others.  The number of AHA moments that actually panned out has been Mr. Blutarski’s GPA.  

Almost universally, enormous short term success is fools gold.  

What about shorter putts, where even amateurs should make more than they miss, 3, 4, 5 footers

Any experience on how using a line helps or doesn't on those?

• Like 2

Just now, Trippels said:

What about shorter putts, where even amateurs should make more than they miss, 3, 4, 5 footers

Any experience on how using a line helps or doesn't on those?

If you’re horrific at lining up 3-5 footers, even you you use the line, you need to practice lining up better.  I’m not saying lining up the line is bad for everyone at all times, but it has many limits.  If you can line up the line and then hit a solid putt without steering the line on your putter to the line on the ball, you’re a better man than I am. 

Im saying for most golfers it has poor long term success. 

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I can say that a fat line, not a thin line has helped me a lot with putting.  I align the ball to my starting point, then align the putter.  I never look at the ball again.  The putter is set and I look at a point just behind the ball.  I make a solid strike with the distance to the hole in my mind.  I do not second guess the line I've chosen and the putter position once it's set. 

I can't use a thin single line. I can't even align that line correctly to my start point.  I use the TM Tour Response with the fat green line 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Several levels to this.

First, statistically golfers of all skill levels just don’t make that many putts.  Putting better is all about 3 putt avoidance and that’s getting the speed right.  The more you focus on line, the less you’re focusing on speed.  

Second the line is dependent on what speed you hit it.  When you line up the line you limit yourself to hitting it the speed that line necessitates or you’ll miss it.  You’re taking away your brains subconscious ability to adapt.  There is not one line to the hole.  There are multiple variables at work.

Attempt A.  I align them incorrectly, but competently on 6-50 foot putts and say just hit it solid the right speed with no attention to line at all.

Attempt B.  We roll putts at the hole and figure out the prefect line for a putt that goes less than a foot passed the hole and I line them up perfectly on that line.  Then I say make this putt on that line.

One of the worst things a golfer can do is discern anything from a small sample size.  Golfers remember the one day where they hooped in everything and try and recapture that magic and long term, putt worse.  Watching golf on TV Sunday doesn’t help this either.  People get the idea that’s what good putting is.  Those are the elite players who are putting the best that day.  That’s almost like thinking you can solve your retirement finances by buying lottery tickets.

So far in my 40 years as a golfer and teacher, in both my epiphanies and seeing those of others.  The number of AHA moments that actually panned out has been Mr. Blutarski’s GPA.  

This is super informative, thank you Monte! Maybe I’ll try out no line for a couple months lol. I used to always take practice strokes beside the ball and felt that was tough with no line because I felt it was harder to aim that way as opposed to stepping into the putt from behind. That was really my biggest complaint with no line. 

Line can be used in a lot of ways... Some line it up perpendicular to the target to help with putter face alignment... Some use it only during practice to help with visuals, alignment, and also to see how the ball is rolling... 

I used it for such purpose, as a training aid, but then I got so comfortable with it that it became a normal pre putt routine. 

For longer putts where speed and general direction is more important, I prefer to use no line as it allows me to focus on the speed more. 

For a 6 foot putt to win the club championship, I will most likely line up. 

YMMV.

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Several levels to this.

Second the line is dependent on what speed you hit it.  When you line up the line you limit yourself to hitting it the speed that line necessitates or you’ll miss it.  You’re taking away your brains subconscious ability to adapt.  There is not one line to the hole.  There are multiple variables at work.

Attempt B.  We roll putts at the hole and figure out the prefect line for a putt that goes less than a foot passed the hole and I line them up perfectly on that line.  Then I say make this putt on that line.

So much good information in this post.  I  am a line user, but I do so because for my process it lets me set up repeatably and then line is completely out of my mind and all I'm focused on is speed.  If you can't do that in my opinion you shouldn't use a line on the ball.

I personally use it BUT it's only to help my initial setup.  I really look and dial in to the spot I'm putting to, then glance down quickly then hit.  I can't use it to guide my stroke, because subconsciously that line is pointing away from the hole and it's hard to trust it.

Lamkin Crossline - my favorite golf product ever

UW Huskies

I also agree with Monte.  I will also add if you can’t read greens you could have a laser and it wouldn’t matter.  Plus speed has 2 variables, how far you take the putter back and how much force you apply in the forward stroke.  The “best” putters can eliminate or make 1 variable a constant.  

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star