I'm telling you guys...line on ball

Some very interesting takes in this thread. My anecdotal experience is that I putt better with a line on the ball, though no alignment aid on my Putter (or vice versa) - but never the two together as that's when I get distracted and lose focus on speed.

With that said, when practising my putting - I almost exclusively focus on speed and it's difficult to find rhythm in my practice sessions if I'm lining up all my putts. Often I'll place two tees about a foot apart - almost like goal posts - and try to stop the ball in between them.

Appreciate the common train of thought is to practice what you play, but that's just what works for me. As they say, different strokes for different folks. 

Driver - Ping G430 LST 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 60X

3 Wood - TaylorMade Stealth 15* Ventus Blue 80X

Hybrid - Nike VR_S Covert Tour 19* Kuro Kage Silver 80X

Irons 3 to PW - Kyeoi KK CB KBS $-Taper 125X / Black Gloss

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Black Satin 48/10 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Raw Finish 52/10 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore Black Satin 56/12 DG Spinner

Wedge - Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl 60/12 DG Wedge

Putter - Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport Long Neck Custom Copper Finish              

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X

I'll add my opinions for what it's worth...

Putting involves a few key variables

1. Speed

2. Face angle at impact

3. Putter head alignment

4. Read

They all work together to help (or mostly prohibit) you making putts. Some of those variables are more important than others. 

If your speed control is terrible then it doesn't much matter what you do with the others. 

If you cannot consistently deliver the face close to square to your line then you're fighting a losing battle. You are not billy mayfair.

If you can't read a green then you're guessing anyway.

We practice speed control. We work feverishly to improve stroke mechanics. There are ways to practice green reading. All pros do and all amateurs should practice alignment. Mirrors. Chalk lines. Strings. Etc. 

I've been trying to use the line on the ball for years. I'd try it, hate it, try it again, and hate it still. I would always give it a passing chance and abandon it after about 5 practice putts. 

Any test that takes random golfers and has them try using the line, when they haven't before, is a flawed test. Using the line is a long term endeavor that must be practiced to build trust AND to retrain your eyes. The way we see things has been ingrained through repetition.  

Using the line on the ball is about 1 thing ONLY - eliminating variance to a variable. Using it takes time to get used to. Using it very well could show a flaw in your mechanics that needs work. 

You'll get no arguments from me that speed trumps line. But if you're standing over a putt wondering what speed to hit it then you've already started to lose the battle. You have to commit to a line that is based on speed. 

Variation in process leads to waste and errors. 

Transitioning to using the line on the ball takes practice. You have to get to where you stand over a putt with the putter head properly aligned (to your read) and then have a speed focus. You can't putt the line.

I use it for any putt 10' and under now. I use it for putts over 40ish feet. In just a short time, I've been able to train myself to be speed focused after lining my putter up to the balll. 

Speed on the course is feel - variation is inherent.

Face control on course is about repetition - variation is inherent

Green reading has variation but we use all sorts of steps to reduce variation (not eliminate variation). Aim point, levels, rooftops, mountain orientation, natural land slope like rivers and valleys, in Florida you look for drainage spots. 

Why not eliminate as much variation in alignment as possible? You can't draw a chalk line on the course. You can't put a string down. You can't put a mirror down. You can put a line on your ball.

Improvement is about small changes that take time to ingrain and identifying how that change affects other elements of a process. To me, eliminating variation in alignment is a no brainer. Let's me focus on the the key variable...speed. It also provides key in around feedback on my reads.

One note on short putts that break a bunch (more than 2 balls outside the hole) - I don't use the line. For putts with that much break I will be all feel oriented. I'll continue to practice those putts to see if the line is better or not. Fornow, right to left breakers with a ton of break will be no line. Left to righters are more likely to get the line since I miss high on those more often.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

People get mad at me when I say something that goes against what they believe works for them or is correct.  This is never about I’m smart and you’re dumb and do what I say. That’s ridiculous. 

wait until you bring back up voodoo putting or the recent research on heads up! They’ll be coming with pitchforks. 

13 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Several levels to this.

First, statistically golfers of all skill levels just don’t make that many putts.  Putting better is all about 3 putt avoidance and that’s getting the speed right.  The more you focus on line, the less you’re focusing on speed.  

Second the line is dependent on what speed you hit it.  When you line up the line you limit yourself to hitting it the speed that line necessitates or you’ll miss it.  You’re taking away your brains subconscious ability to adapt.  There is not one line to the hole.  There are multiple variables at work.

I have done this test so many times with so many people 

Attempt A.  I align them incorrectly, but competently on 6-50 foot putts and say just hit it solid the right speed with no attention to line at all.

Attempt B.  We roll putts at the hole and figure out the prefect line for a putt that goes less than a foot passed the hole and I line them up perfectly on that line.  Then I say make this putt on that line.

A destroys B by such a wide margin it’s  comical.  

One of the worst things a golfer can do is discern anything from a small sample size.  Golfers remember the one day where they hooped in everything and try and recapture that magic and long term, putt worse.  Watching golf on TV Sunday doesn’t help this either.  People get the idea that’s what good putting is.  Those are the elite players who are putting the best that day.  That’s almost like thinking you can solve your retirement finances by buying lottery tickets.

So far in my 40 years as a golfer and teacher, in both my epiphanies and seeing those of others.  The number of AHA moments that actually panned out has been Mr. Blutarski’s GPA.  

Almost universally, enormous short term success is fools gold.  

Very interesting and never seen explained this way. And it makes total sense, in that when you ‘line it up’, you lock in yourself to a required speed (and we’re not even talking about self doubts about the alignment when getting to your play box, over the ball).

So more of a ‘feel’ approach, especially on makeable 4-8 footers where we have made more than a few in the past and that our body+mind will ‘find a way’ out of the many speed+break combos (with the assumptions our mechanics are sound).

Basically saying that Steph Curry would never think about hitting a ‘certain height’ when shooting a free throw or Aaron Rodgers thinking about the apex of a dump off to the corner of the end zone over a defender, correct interpretation?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Using the line on the ball is about 1 thing ONLY - eliminating variance to a variable.

In our testing, people don't often line the line up where they think they are. It's highly sensitive to where you place it in relation to your dominant eye, and how much you bend over, and how far in front of you you place the ball, etc.

Another reason not to use the line: I could make the case that it's adding variance, not eliminating it.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

In our testing, people don't often line the line up where they think they are. It's highly sensitive to where you place it in relation to your dominant eye, and how much you bend over, and how far in front of you you place the ball, etc.

Another reason not to use the line: I could make the case that it's adding variance, not eliminating it.

What if they use the putter shaft to help aim the line, like Bryson and others do? There should be no doubt as to where the line is lined up, leaving only the speed to get right. 

• Like 1

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

14 minutes ago, iacas said:

It takes practice. 

"in our testing"... folks who don't use the line and you take them onto a green and test their ability to use it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Simp said:

What if they use the putter shaft to help aim the line, like Bryson and others do? There should be no doubt as to where the line is lined up, leaving only the speed to get right. 

Yes, that can help.

14 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

"in our testing"... folks who don't use the line and you take them onto a green and test their ability to use it?

No, well established line users.

And, selfishly, it's slow(er) as I think I said earlier.

Ultimately, the putter has to be aimed properly, not the ball. So I skip the step of lining the ball up, and then lining the putter up, and just skip right to lining the putter up.

Edited by iacas
  • Like 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yes, that can help.

No, well established line users.

And, selfishly, it's slow(er) as I think I said earlier.

Ultimately, the putter has to be aimed properly, not the ball. So I skip the step of lining the ball up, and then lining the putter up, and just skip right to lining the putter up.

Ever tried to teach people to use the line properly rather than just skip it?

13 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Ever tried to teach people to use the line properly rather than just skip it?

Not really, no, because I actually think it's the opposite of helpful. I actively discourage people from using the line, because I've seen so much sensitivity to it, because it's slower, and because it's adding a step that's ultimately potentially helpful but unnecessary: you want the putter to be aligned, the ball is round. It doesn't need to be aligned at anything.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not really, no, because I actually think it's the opposite of helpful. I actively discourage people from using the line, because I've seen so much sensitivity to it, because it's slower, and because it's adding a step that's ultimately potentially helpful but unnecessary: you want the putter to be aligned, the ball is round. It doesn't need to be aligned at anything.

Do you teach aimpoint or advocate for it?

I do agree that it CAN be slower...for those who don't practice using yhe line.

Just now, getitdaily said:

Do you teach aimpoint or advocate for it?

Yes. My teaching partner and I were among the original instructors.

Just now, getitdaily said:

I do agree that it CAN be slower...for those who don't practice using yhe line.

It's absolutely slower than me just plopping my ball down with white showing. Even if it's three or four seconds, that's three or four seconds slower.

I'm glad you like it and feel it works for you. I don't like it, and I have a few issues with it, having tested it out more than anecdotally.

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Wonder how many on tour use it...especially from 10' and under 

Oh, tour players can be no different when it comes to being lemmings.

They’re kinda like middle-aged guys (uncles, family friends) always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up.

They’re looking for ideas…

The available data show the common thread among the best putters is consistency of path at impact being true to the intended line.

(Not my opinion, method, theory or feelings.)

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

I see a ton of pros using the line, including the best putter on tour. 

Does he? Maverick, that is?

Maybe he does. But you've been doing this for two weeks. I've tested hundreds of golfers, and likely putt better than you do myself. Let me clarify too: that doesn't mean it doesn't work for you or that I'm trying to tell you to stop doing it. I just don't think it's the wonder that you seem to think it is right now, in your honeymoon phase. 😄 I've shared some of the reasons I don't care for it and don't teach it.

Best of luck to you in continuing to find success with it.

37 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Oh, tour players can be no different when it comes to being lemmings.

Yeah… Tour players watch YouTube videos more than most people would know.

Edited by iacas
Clarified

7 minutes ago, iacas said:

Does he? Maverick, that is?

Maybe he does. But you've been doing this for two weeks. I've tested hundreds of golfers, and likely putt better than you do myself. Let me clarify too: that doesn't mean it doesn't work for you or that I'm trying to tell you to stop doing it. I just don't think it's the wonder that you seem to think it is right now, in your honeymoon phase. 😄 I've shared some of the reasons I don't care for it and don't teach it.

Best of luck to you in continuing to find success with it.

Yeah… Tour players watch YouTube videos more than most people would know.

I've been trying off and on for a while...over a year.  I just never worked to get comfortable with it. I'd get 5-10 putts with it and dismiss it. I've been working more and more with it the last 6 or so weeks. Great in practice and then a dud on yhe course. I had to learn to trust it.

I've practiced it a lot the last month. It is clearly better. Some will laugh, but this is no honeymoon phase. This is simply me taking out alignment as a variable. 

I hated it for a long time. Now I don't. And I'm not done perfecting it yet. My eyes still see a bit of wonkiness on right to left breakers. Those have been slow to "see" correctly.

Spoiler

On 6/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, getitdaily said:

About 2 weeks. 

31 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I've been trying off and on for a while...over a year.

Okay.

32 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I've practiced it a lot the last month. It is clearly better.

… for you, you think.

This is simply me taking out alignment as a variable.

The ball is round. It's not the alignment that matters.

I hated it for a long time. Now I don't. And I'm not done perfecting it yet. My eyes still see a bit of wonkiness on right to left breakers. Those have been slow to "see" correctly.

So… it's still variable?

This isn't going anywhere, so, for that reason… 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

16 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I see a ton of pros using the line, including the best putter on tour. 

Wonder how many on tour use it...especially from 10' and under 

I really don't follow the men's game these days. I watch the LPGA pretty much exclusively. I guess over the last decade my interest in the men has gone away to the point I just don't really care about the men for whatever reason. 

Anyhow, I see virtually everyone on the women's tour using a line. Literally all the best players (or at least the top all-around players like Lydia Ko and Jin Young Ko) are using it and they are tremendously effective with it. 

What's interesting to me is that they seem to use it out to pretty "extreme" distances of like 20- or 30-ft and it still seems to not only roll end-over-end (a pretty impressive skill in and of itself!) but it seems to be perfectly aligned with their aimpoints, LOL. I can't tell you how many putts I've seen go in from 20-ft during which the line rolled end-over-end. It's impressive to watch!

I don't think Amateurs will ever be that good at using the line but it just shows how much you can do to help yourself, even just inside 10-ft. Line it up and roll the ball at the right speed. 

To me, if the top LPGA players are doing it I really don't care what folks on GolfWRX want to say. People should think for themselves. If some want to give away the opportunity claiming it makes them worse to have an alignment aid that's legally allowed, that's fine by me, but it doesn't really seem reasonable. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a lot of tribalism here with folks wanting to "debate" these issues. To me, that's the worst part of it. 

I don't see how helpful advice can be "debated." 

To me, if there's something to look into that could make me better and I found myself more interested in "debating" it rather than trying it and learning to implement it as a helpful tool, that would say more about me than anything else. Those interested in improving are already out on the green experimenting and trying to get better. 

My conception of these Forums is that they're merely a place to share helpful stories and learn from others. Still, I see a lot of "your experience is wrong and let me tell you why..."

It's 2023. Debates are a waste of time. Either try something and implement it or don't but don't try and explain to me your opinion of why Lydia Ko or Jin Young Ko are wasting their time. Child please. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

I really don't follow the men's game these days. I watch the LPGA pretty much exclusively. I guess over the last decade my interest in the men has gone away to the point I just don't really care about the men for whatever reason. 

Anyhow, I see virtually everyone on the women's tour using a line. Literally all the best players (or at least the top all-around players like Lydia Ko and Jin Young Ko) are using it and they are tremendously effective with it. 

What's interesting to me is that they seem to use it out to pretty "extreme" distances of like 20- or 30-ft and it still seems to not only roll end-over-end (a pretty impressive skill in and of itself!) but it seems to be perfectly aligned with their aimpoints, LOL. I can't tell you how many putts I've seen go in from 20-ft during which the line rolled end-over-end. It's impressive to watch!

I don't think Amateurs will ever be that good at using the line but it just shows how much you can do to help yourself, even just inside 10-ft. Line it up and roll the ball at the right speed. 

To me, if the top LPGA players are doing it I really don't care what folks on GolfWRX want to say. People should think for themselves. If some want to give away the opportunity claiming it makes them worse to have an alignment aid that's legally allowed, that's fine by me, but it doesn't really seem reasonable. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a lot of tribalism here with folks wanting to "debate" these issues. To me, that's the worst part of it. 

I don't see how helpful advice can be "debated." 

To me, if there's something to look into that could make me better and I found myself more interested in "debating" it rather than trying it and learning to implement it as a helpful tool, that would say more about me than anything else. Those interested in improving are already out on the green experimenting and trying to get better. 

My conception of these Forums is that they're merely a place to share helpful stories and learn from others. Still, I see a lot of "your experience is wrong and let me tell you why..."

It's 2023. Debates are a waste of time. Either try something and implement it or don't but don't try and explain to me your opinion of why Lydia Ko or Jin Young Ko are wasting their time. Child please. 

The dominant negative voice in thread summed up his opinion with 

1. People don't use it correctly 

2. It slows down play 

I applaud him for concern about pace of play. I made sure using the line wasn't going to slow me down. I practice it. I can line it up and hit yhe putt in the same amount of time it took me before. Instead of lining up the putter and then looking from hole to putter 3 times, now I just line up the putter, look at the hole, and go. I'm no slower.  Now, a lot of folks are slower with it...line it up, measure it, change it, measure it. That is slow. Folks can get it right quickly if they practice it.

As for not lining it up correctly...again, practice it. An alignment aid won't work if you lone it up incorrectly. Using the line on the ball is not a "get on the first tee and use it". It takes practice to get used to it...lining up properly, adjustment to where the ball is lined up, speed control, trust,  etc.

If every beneficial process was skipped because people don't do it right then there would be no instruction. 

You said it best...if the lone on the ball causes you to miss putts then there is something wrong with your stroke or distance control. Whether you want to improve that or not...do your thing. 

But the pros are showing that the line is a benefit. And someone on here has noted "if most pros are doing something, you can safely assume you should be too".

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

If every beneficial process was skipped because people don't do it right then there would be no instruction. 

That is what's beginning to worry me about these WRX instructors who use the site as a recruiting tool or who constantly cite their own teaching as evidence. They offer so much advice around here that only makes sense from the perspective of someone who's bad and isn't practicing. To someone like myself I find it all a bit too patronizing because I'm not bad precisely because I do practice. And of course, the more you practice the more you appreciate subtlety and the more these absolutes just seem out of touch and overly simplistic. 

The analogy I provided of using an alignment stick and claiming it stopped you from controlling distance with your PW is one that maps directly onto this discussion. It's nonsensical and yet it's allowed to pass in putting for some reason. 

If I try to put myself in their shoes, I guess I get it. Instructors spend the vast majority of their time with bad golfers who do most everything poorly and need to be told what better golfers see as fundamental or even intuitive.

And being an engineer I can appreciate that instructors also have to speak in generalities to be conservative. Sometimes it's more important that what you say is not explicitly wrong, LOL. Like when an instructor claims that speed is critical, that's not explicitly wrong, but it's also not helpful to the experienced golfer who knows it well and can appreciate that other things must sometimes be made the point of focus, too. 

I think maybe when your advice is borne out of working with high handicappers you get used to focusing on one thing at a time. Yet better players have to integrate lots of things simultaneously. So I think at best we end up talking past each other and at worst we end up "debating" stuff that really shouldn't be pulled apart at all. 

I'm choosing to just abandon these silly debates. I'm here to share my experience, not debate. I wish these instructors the best but I'm finding they often have their own agenda. That's fine, but I'm not coming here to throw a bunch of "likes" on certain posts so those individuals can grow their brand and make money off the site. I've seen people try and pivot that way in other forums and it's always awkward precisely because it's sort of unethical. Some of us are here to chat, discuss and share while others are here to promote and sell. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

LOL I use the line while putting and also on tee shots!  I do because I started using a check and go ball balancer / marker many years ago and the claim was that when the ball was oriented correctly the roll would be more true.  I have never been convinced of that though I did experiment with it a fair amount.  One thing that I have noticed is that I used to see a few balls out of every dozen that were rather badly balanced.  I don't see that anymore so I guess the the manufacturers have tightened up their processes a bit. 

Anyway, I line the line up while putting but I don't pay much attention to it.  Maybe it helps and maybe it doesn't.  It did take me a few rounds to get used to it, but it is pretty much automatic now and using the line does not slow my putting process at all.  As a matter of fact I sometimes notice that line is not really lined up very well and I just go ahead and hit the putt anyway as I can sort of calculate an offset in my head. 

LOL Doing it all wrong I suppose?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

LOL I use the line while putting and also on tee shots!  I do because I started using a check and go ball balancer / marker many years ago and the claim was that when the ball was oriented correctly the roll would be more true.  I have never been convinced of that though I did experiment with it a fair amount.  One thing that I have noticed is that I used to see a few balls out of every dozen that were rather badly balanced.  I don't see that anymore so I guess the the manufacturers have tightened up their processes a bit. 

Anyway, I line the line up while putting but I don't pay much attention to it.  Maybe it helps and maybe it doesn't.  It did take me a few rounds to get used to it, but it is pretty much automatic now and using the line does not slow my putting process at all.  As a matter of fact I sometimes notice that line is not really lined up very well and I just go ahead and hit the putt anyway as I can sort of calculate an offset in my head. 

Do what makes you confident. 

Just don't ever ask me to go shooting guns with you...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

Haha, I would say I generally do the same thing. 

There's no sense in *not* using the line on short putts and likewise, there's no sense in being a perfectionist either. I sometimes find myself using it as a general "guide" much as you describe. 

I do find it really funny that several posts back someone said, 'I don't like it unless maybe it'll help you if your alignment is off at close range...' and I had to laugh as I wondered, what the heck do you think we've been advocating for?!

Why else use it except to verify you're aligning properly?! 

And to that point, YES, I absolutely do find that little 2- and 3-footers are often the very putts where it's easiest to become misaligned precisely because the hole is so close and not far off in the distance. Does this even need to be said, LOL? 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I don't think the pro's are knocking the line at all.  

They are just being realistic.  The line is not a cure.  It's not a magic fix.  It can be a helpful aid and maybe bring confidence in your line as well as alignment.  But it can also make you worse by trying to focus too much on the line.  

I've used the line for many and many years.  I'll never change, unless they make it illegal.  

I've had awesome putting days using the line and really bad days using the line.  You still got to roll the ball to your desired target with the desired speed. 

How to use the line and using the line would be way down the priority list for good putting in my opinion.  Again I use it and I'd recommend it for many.  But it's certainly not something on it's own that will dramatically make you a better putter consistently.      

• Like 1