I'm telling you guys...line on ball

5 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I tried the intermediate spot and it was terrible for me. I was so focused on that spot that I had the speed control of a 4 yr old.

You did it poorly, then. I line up to a spot (where that spot is varies), but once I'm lined up… I focus only on speed.

4 hours ago, Kuuuch said:

@iacasdo you have any data on when pros typically use a line on the ball? Specifically talking about the ones who use it sparingly. For instance I’ve noticed Rory has a line on his ball but it looks like he rarely uses it. Is it just putts that should be aimed inside the hole? 

No. It's not in the ShotLink database. 😉

Many have a line on their ball for the times they want to use it, but not use it for most of the round, or they'll have the line on their for the times they might want to use it.

I don't base what I ask regular golfers to do based only on "well, a lot of guys whose job it is to do this have a line on their ball and even sometimes use it." 😄 

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I've played 3 rounds with the line in the ball

Oh my.

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

For long putts (40ish feet or more) I use a spot about 3 inches in front of the ball to align the line.

Why wouldn't you just align your putter - the thing that actually matters - to that spot? 😛 

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

You did it poorly, then. I line up to a spot (where that spot is varies), but once I'm lined up… I focus only on speed.

No. It's not in the ShotLink database. 😉

Many have a line on their ball for the times they want to use it, but not use it for most of the round, or they'll have the line on their for the times they might want to use it.

I don't base what I ask regular golfers to do based only on "well, a lot of guys whose job it is to do this have a line on their ball and even sometimes use it." 😄 

Oh my.

Why wouldn't you just align your putter - the thing that actually matters - to that spot? 😛 

Maybe I did. Just like you poorly use the line on the ball.

3 rounds has been plenty after numerous practice attempts over the last year to get it right. This isn't a swing change where muscle memory is concerned. It's using a line for alignment. 3 rounds of positive feedback is called positive reinforcement that the line is bettering my putting. 

Because I don't want to. I use the line. 

See where this goes? I advocate for the line. You don't. That's fine. Carry on.

Edited by getitdaily

55 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

I definitely think that's a fair criticism but I've also watched a number of great putters who I felt were a little slow. Over time, I've realize they are simply more diligent in their pre-putt routine. Having watched it pay off, it's encouraged me to spend a couple extra seconds giving a putt it's due and really "caring" whole-heartedly that I'm giving every putt my full attention. 

And you're right, if it's just goofing around with your buddies that's one thing. 90% of my rounds are money matches though where every single shot matters because you're playing alongside 3 other guys who form a team. If you goof around your team won't appreciate that. 

You might be like me, IDK, but I have a strong tendency to rush because I'm just generally an impatient person. I can get impatient in traffic. I can get impatient on the internet. I can get impulsively angry when I stub my toe. I can get impatient when I'm doing yardwork. I've never been a detail-oriented person. I've always wanted to burn through things as quickly as possible. 

On the greens, I always just want to get in there and hit it. Slowing down is definitely something that did not feel good for me but upon watching some of my group's better putters, I've realized that there's nothing wrong with being more deliberate--especially if the results are there. 

I've talked about it before but last year when I got down from being a 2-index to a 0 it was largely because I was putting a lot better at close range (inside 6-ft). I ended up playing better, building skills that have lasted and also shot my personal best several times. It was a great year. 

So for many of us who are playing in money games and really trying to shave strokes, we're out there trying to spend those extra couple seconds getting focused and our playing partners would be the first ones to say, "yes, please do that if it helps you!"

I get where you are coming from. I have found taking more time on the greens to actually be worse like overanalyzing the breaks, lining up your ball etc. vs. being more athletic with the putt and just hitting it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I advocate for the line. You don't. That's fine. 

This inspired me to at least come up with a theme song for your cause. 

I keep a close watch on this ball of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the sharpie out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I use the line

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* Tour AD HD 5X, Big Tour 15.5*, Rad Tour 18.5* Even Flow White 6.0

Titleist U500 4 23* Hzdrus Smoke Black 6.0 

Titleist 718 AP2 5-P DG AMT White S300 

Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S, DG S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1, Vice Pro Plus, Foresight GC3 

6 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

This inspired me to at least come up with a theme song for your cause. 

I keep a close watch on this ball of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I keep the sharpie out for the tie that binds
Because you're mine, I use the line

This is apropos. I use a BLACK sharpie to draw my line.

Let's see if I can sum this all up.

If the line helps you, you should use it.

If the line doesn't help, you shouldn't use it.

That about right ? coffee.gif

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 6/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, getitdaily said:

Monte, I usually agree with you...but not here.

Line has allowed me to take alignment doubt out and focus solely on speed. It's far from irrelevant for me. 

Sorry.  I agree with @MonteScheinblum.  Two weeks in any endeavor is NOT nearly enough of a sampling.  I don't buy sticking one or two fingers in the air has much line value either.  IMO a line on the ball is subtle crutch, kinda like having one's caddy read the line to help get the ball in the hole.

And I put a line on my ball, but it's used as a blatant identifier for idiots.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

3 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Blatant identifiers still don’t stop idiots.  Last year in US senior open qualifier, I hit it over a corner near a green on a blind tee shot ea;ray in the round.  Hit it on the correct line, got up there and never found it.  Went back, hit another near the green chipped on and made bogey.  Get to the back 9, did the same thing on a similar hole and drive up to the green.  As I neared it I see a woman picking up my ball and heard her yell to her friend.  “Look, I found another ball with a gorilla on it,” and she picks it up.

I was irate.  Her husband comes up ready to fight me asking me why I’m yelling at his wife.  I told him what happened.  He took over.  “What the **** are you doing picking up golf balls, especially during a tournament.  This is why I told you not to come.”

I hear ya.... had something similar happen more than a few times.  Most recent was on a Par 4.  Hit  2 iron down the middle expecting it to be in the middle about 220 out.  When we get there it's gone.  The idiot in front of us grabbed it... Two holes later we're standing waiting from them to tee off, I asked if anyone saw my MARKED ball two holes back, one guy reached into his pocket and says, I thought this was mine.  As he handed it to me, I said you mean to say you mark your ball the same way as I do??? With a line and stars??? Next time look before you pick up balls.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

4 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I hear ya.... had something similar happen more than a few times.  Most recent was on a Par 4.  Hit  2 iron down the middle expecting it to be in the middle about 220 out.  When we get there it's gone.  The idiot in front of us grabbed it... Two holes later we're standing waiting from them to tee off, I asked if anyone saw my MARKED ball two holes back, one guy reached into his pocket and says, I thought this was mine.  As he handed it to me, I said you mean to say you mark your ball the same way as I do??? With a line and stars??? Next time look before you pick up balls.

The fact I used to hit it really far had people grabbing mine all the time and then telling me it wasn’t mine because no one could hit it there.  Dozens of times, maybe even over 100 times over the years.  

Many times I’d inflame the situation by being me and saying something like, “Look boss, you seem like someone who would want to grab everyone’s balls, but keep your hands off mine, I’m shy.” 

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, MK7Golf21 said:

I get where you are coming from. I have found taking more time on the greens to actually be worse like overanalyzing the breaks, lining up your ball etc. vs. being more athletic with the putt and just hitting it. 

I would posit that pretty much everything in life comes down to finding a balance, right? 

I would agree with you that it's *REALLY* easy to over-analyze when you're out there putting because in the putting game, we have to put forth an unusual amount of mental energy. Think of everything we're worried about: green speed, contour/slope, what we did on the last putt, what our expectations are on this putt based on length and difficulty, speed, line, setup, stroke, etc. 

I could argue that putting feels entirely mental to the dedicated player who's got a reasonably solid stroke. 

I think finding the right balance is key, but that doesn't mean forgetting all the above stuff and just winging it either. To me, it means getting better at handling all the above stuff and working until some of it becomes second nature.

That's my current goal with putting >> I want to be doing a lot but not have any of it be noticeable. If I'm stressed out or slowing down, I'm not achieving my goal. 

Obviously too much thinking could be called "over-analysis." That could be detrimental, just like rushing and being careless with your alignment could have you leaving strokes on the table, too.

The trick (with almost everything) is finding out which you need to lean into a little more. Since I'm a rusher, I've had to force myself to slow down and be more detail-oriented. My first instinct with a lot of things is to cut corners and go as fast as I possibly can. 

>> I've found there's a fine line between casual and careless. 

Pace of play is great and all but I want to strike a balance between pace of play and shooting good scores. I would assume most people are like that, too. 

Edited by MelloYello

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

57 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Sorry.  I agree with @MonteScheinblum.  Two weeks in any endeavor is NOT nearly enough of a sampling.  I don't buy sticking one or two fingers in the air has much line value either.  IMO a line on the ball is subtle crutch, kinda like having one's caddy read the line to help get the ball in the hole.

And I put a line on my ball, but it's used as a blatant identifier for idiots.

The problem with that statement is that, as a passing glance at a post, one see "two weeks" and defaults to a thought. 

It's been 2 weeks that I've been able to confidently use it during a round. It's been over a month that I've been practicing it on greens with slope and on my mat at home. It's been over a year that I've sporadically tried it and hated it.

2 weeks is how long I've been comfortable with it. I've had more reps in practice with it than reps during rounds. This isn't a flash in the pan epiphany. It's been a grind-it-out process to make it work. And now it is.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

The problem with that statement is that, as a passing glance at a post, one see "two weeks" and defaults to a thought. 

It's been 2 weeks that I've been able to confidently use it during a round. It's been over a month that I've been practicing it on greens with slope and on my mat at home. It's been over a year that I've sporadically tried it and hated it.

2 weeks is how long I've been comfortable with it. I've had more reps in practice with it than reps during rounds. This isn't a flash in the pan epiphany. It's been a grind-it-out process to make it work. And now it is.

You've heard the term "honeymoon..." It will last only so long.  In all my years in sports and business, 2 weeks of anything is NOT a reliable sampling.  But if you think it works, fine. 

If what you're saying was factually true, it would benefit ALL golfers.  Yet in my years of putting, without a line, I seldom 3 putt.  I watch tour players spend inordinate amounts of time lining up putts using lines, including short putts, and they still miss the putt.  Fowler, for one, did it more than once last weekend.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Let's see if I can sum this all up.

If the line helps you, you should use it.

If the line doesn't help, you shouldn't use it.

... Not only do I not use a line on my ball, I remove the line paint fill line on my putter. My first 15 years playing I used an 8802 which of course has no markings of any kind, so I find a line on my ball or on my putter distracting. My playing pard always draws a line on his ball so I think your in depth explanation sums it up nicely. 

• Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not only do I not use a line on my ball, I remove the line paint fill line on my putter. My first 15 years playing I used an 8802 which of course has no markings of any kind, so I find a line on my ball or on my putter distracting. My playing pard always draws a line on his ball so I think your in depth explanation sums it up nicely. 

I like where you're coming from, TBH. 

I think it has a lot to do with the difference in generations and how people are being taught to approach putting. 

Conditions Change:

For instance, I really think a lot of the modern "no-wrist" putting strategies that are so focused on the core and/or the shoulders are a direct result of having better, faster greens. Eliminating wrist hinge helps ensure one hits the ball more softly and can keep the face more square throughout the arc.

As times change so do the variables of the course and thus different techniques get deployed. We could say the same about undulating green complexes and the rise to dominance of the L-wedge in the last 40 years. 

Speeding up the Learning Process:

It makes perfect sense that the modern generation is looking to get away from feel and learn in a way that's more structured. I know that for me (watching the LPGA) it seems that the vast majority of players there are using the line as opposed to the few that don't. And that's definitely a tour that skews toward youth, ya know? 

Breaking Old Habits:

By the nature of trying something new, people who experiment with the line are always coming from the experience of not using the line, which they use as their baseline for what's normal. Thus, using a line is always described as being too deliberate or too distracting. 

Modern players who begin with it from their early years just get used to it and thus, you don't really hear them saying anything like that. And if you ask me, it's probably better to use it (so long as it's allowed) versus just eye-balling it. 

Evolution Happens:

While I can imagine those with decades of experience eye-balling it might prefer the traditional, I don't think I'd recommend to a younger (or otherwise developing) golfer that they go the conventional route.

In the same way, I'd recommend left-hand-low for beginning golfers because I think it's just straight-up better in more ways than it isn't if you're starting from scratch (or otherwise willing to work at it). 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 minute ago, MelloYello said:

I like where you're coming from, TBH. 

I think it has a lot to do with the difference in generations and how people are being taught to approach putting. 

For instance, I really think a lot of the modern "no-wrist" putting strategies that are so focused on the core and/or the shoulders are a direct result of having better, faster greens. 

It makes perfect sense that the modern generation is looking to get away from feel and learn in a way that's more structured. I know that for me (watching the LPGA) it seems that the vast majority of players there are using it as opposed to the few that don't. And that's definitely a tour that skews toward the youth, ya know? 

... I certainly understand some are naturally more mechanical and put better that way. I get taking the hands out of the putting stroke on lightening fast greens can be advantageous on short putts. But I also think putters with excellent feel will always be the elite putters. Crenshaw, Tiger and Faxon come to mind. I am not talking about wristy strokes, but feel is in the fingers which is the only contact golfers have with their clubs. I do think many of todays younger player grew into the game with high seed camera's and a very technical approach to playing the game and it has obviously worked well for them, but with so many cookie cutter swings and strokes it seems to be the Scotty Scheflers (swing) and Cam Smiths (putting stroke) that separate themselves from the mechanical pack. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I certainly understand some are naturally more mechanical and put better that way. I get taking the hands out of the putting stroke on lightening fast greens can be advantageous on short putts. But I also think putters with excellent feel will always be the elite putters. Crenshaw, Tiger and Faxon come to mind. I am not talking about wristy strokes, but feel is in the fingers which is the only contact golfers have with their clubs. I do think many of todays younger player grew into the game with high seed camera's and a very technical approach to playing the game and it has obviously worked well for them, but with so many cookie cutter swings and strokes it seems to be the Scotty Scheflers (swing) and Cam Smiths (putting stroke) that separate themselves from the mechanical pack. 

That's true but then you get to talking about the few exceptions to the general rule. I think the vast majority of people here would love to have the swing of even the worst PGA Tour player, right? 

So, yeah, we can say "cookie cutter" like it's a bad thing but really that'd be akin to saying Alabama cranks out "cookie cutter" NFL prospects. From their perspective (and those of the prospects who are looking to reach the NFL) that's definitely a good thing. 

I know folks like those you describe but they are exceptionally gifted and I think that's usually more to do with their upbringing, spending tons of time on the putting green as a kid, etc. Those stories are less about the technique and more about the unique story of that particular person in my experience. 

In the same way that great players often make terrible coaches because those great players so often fell back on a level of talent their students' won't be able to muster, I think we can say something similar about maybe not getting overly obsessed with the world's most historically-great putters as examples. It's why when I cite users of the line (a list which includes TW and Faxon, btw) I always try and list many different types of putters, some conventional and some not. 

Everyone always talks about Bobby Locke and his closed stance...should we all copy that? And let's be honest, did TW and Faxon really putt identically? No, putting definitely the most unique and individual part of the game. Wouldn't you agree? 

If that's the case, then it makes sense for players to experiment with the line and my guess is that the vast majority of young people will decide it does more to help (on putts of reasonable length of course). 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

30 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You've heard the term "honeymoon..." It will last only so long.  In all my years in sports and business, 2 weeks of anything is NOT a reliable sampling.  But if you think it works, fine. 

If what you're saying was factually true, it would benefit ALL golfers.  Yet in my years of putting, without a line, I seldom 3 putt.  I watch tour players spend inordinate amounts of time lining up putts using lines, including short putts, and they still miss the putt.  Fowler, for one, did it more than once last weekend.

The reason I debunk the "2 weeks isn't enough time" response is just what flipped the switch...

Practice green, 10 footer. 10 putts with no line. Make half. Then 10 with line and make 8. Do it again on a putt that breaks the opposite way. Same result. I kept repeating that test every day I went to practice. Then I'd try it on the course. And I'd hate it on the course.

I repped it over and over in practice. That made me get more and more comfortable with it during a round. 

There are times when you just know. This isn't "I tried this new move today and was striping it". This is hard work paying off. 2 weeks of using it on course. More than that trying to get comfortable. 

I'll give another example. Had a lesson with Mr gorilla ball (monte) and we outlined the next big change I needed to continue to get more consistent. I started to work on that move. I repped it for 2 weeks and saw really good data start to emerge. I took it to the course and tried the new move and shot 3 over. Abandoned the move for the round and shot 3 under. The new move wasn't ready (which I knew). I've continued to rip the new move. It's still not ready. 

So, when that new move is more deeply ingrained and I post that I've been using it for 2 weeks, is that a small sample or does the sample include the practice reps too?

3 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

That's true but then you get to talking about the few exceptions to the general rule. I think the vast majority of people here would love to have the swing of even the worst PGA Tour player, right? 

So, yeah, we can say "cookie cutter" like it's a bad thing but really that'd be akin to saying Alabama cranks out "cookie cutter" NFL prospects. From their perspective (and those of the prospects who are looking to reach the NFL) that's definitely a good thing. 

... I don't use cookie cutter as a bad thing at all and why every week on any tour anybody can win. And yes the vast majority here certainly should trade for a cookie cutter Tour Swing. But those with exceptional and extraordinary talent will always rise to the top. Patrick Mahomes would be be good example doing so many things technically "wrong" but so right for him, and using Scheffler again the guy gained 18 strokes on the field tee to green at the Memorial and the closest to him was at 10. 

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

25 years ago Scotty Cameron showed me a remarkable video.  It was 20 golfers all among the top 50 in the world.  It was a worms eye camera.  All you could see was their feet, putter ball and hole about 6-8 feet away.  It was a straight putt on turf indoors.  More than half weren’t aimed at the middle of the hole and a few weren’t even aimed on a line that the putt would go in.  All 20 went in.  His point.  Grinding on the perfect line is limiting.  That’s where I first learned line was almost irrelevant.

Finally I have something in common with a Tour Pro,,,,,,,, well,,,,,,, except for making 20 out of 20.  :classic_smile:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

13 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

So, when that new move is more deeply ingrained and I post that I've been using it for 2 weeks, is that a small sample or does the sample include the practice reps too?

IMO nothing in golf is a valid quick sampling.  Reading Greens and undulations takes experience, that's when it should be quick.  Ever watch a tour pro read greens, LOL, then his caddie reads the line again, then the pro looks further, then Pro crouches to align the line with apex or cup??? Only to miss the cup all together.  Too many crutches in golf to miss the shot or putt.

Did you watch golf Sunday?  It was silly waste of time to miss the fairway, miss the shot all together into the green, or miss the putt wide, after all the time to line it up, as if it was a sure thing.  I've watched tour guys personally, having played with more than a few of them.  They may play and putt better than little ole 4 index, me, but they take forever to putt and make shots, even during casual $$$ rounds.

It takes months for me to be confident in what new irons, woods or new shafts can do, same goes for a ball.  There's NOTHING in golf that even has a month learning curve.  I been playing for 30+ years.  IMO, aligning the ball line with target apex on a putting line should be simple, but it's not for most people.  IMO learning to read greens has greater value, over a line on a ball. 

But, like I said, if you think that line makes an actual difference, fine.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I line up to a spot (where that spot is varies), but once I'm lined up… I focus only on speed.

I'm failing to understand how this is different than using a line on the ball.  This is exactly what I do.  My eye never suited picking a spot near the ball.  For decades I would pick an apex point or, for straightish putts, somewhere within or just outside the cup.  I've felt for years that I could putt better, especially inside of 10 ft.  For the last 3 years I've committed to the line and a standardized process.   

The lineallows me to line up and then only focus on speed.  The moment I'm lined up and set I'm no longer focused on the line on the ball.  The rest is feel.   I'm surprised to heard that 'the line doesn't matter'.  And that being more athletic is the ticket.  The idea that it doesn't matter how well I address the putter is quite perplexing. 

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

I can’t believe this debate is still going on.

These are the facts.

1.  The OP thinks he may have found something that works for him.  That is great, I hope it works forever.  

2.  2 weeks is a small sample size for being so sure something works for an individual, never mind for everyone.

3.  In the experience of two instructors, it isn’t helpful to many.

4.  A world renowned expert says lining up perfectly isn’t important.

Conclusion.  Try it if it works, do it, if it doesn’t, don’t.

Opinion.  Putting has a much more intangible relationship to success than other shots.  The placebo affect is huge in putting.  Even though empirical evidence and data suggests it’s not going to have any lasting positive affect, if you’re steadfast it does, it’s likely to help.

The only point I was trying to make is something I deal with every day.  The aha epiphanies golfers have every day are almost always fools gold and even if they aren’t, it’s not a universal panacea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

11 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I'm failing to understand how this is different than using a line on the ball.  This is exactly what I do.  My eye never suited picking a spot near the ball.  For decades I would pick an apex point or, for straightish putts, somewhere within or just outside the cup.  I've felt for years that I could putt better, especially inside of 10 ft.  For the last 3 years I've committed to the line and a standardized process.   

The lineallows me to line up and then only focus on speed.  The moment I'm lined up and set I'm no longer focused on the line on the ball.  The rest is feel.   I'm surprised to heard that 'the line doesn't matter'.  And that being more athletic is the ticket.  The idea that it doesn't matter how well I address the putter is quite perplexing. 

The "line doesn't matter" crew are using the principle that people can be aimed offline and still make putts. And they're right. SAM puttlab data shows that people line up one way or another and then compensate. That all is fine too. 

Alignment compensations are ever present. And those compensations are a primary reason why it takes time to learn to use the line. That's why my very 1st post said "learn why you can't use it". If you line up 1.5* right and then putt out to in then using a line is going to be a challenge. Using the line will show faults in your stroke. So it's likely that one will need to improve stroke dynamics to be able to use the line. But then you get feedback from using the line...you see the ball roll...did you pull it, push it, terrible speed but online. It's a great tool for intra-round feedback.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Derek Uyeda, a putting coach who has some of the biggest names on tour has said he doesn’t know why everyone doesn’t use the line. He says it should be illegal because it’s almost like a training aid. I can see his point on that. 

But for me, steering the putter head through impact is the enemy of a good roll and the line makes me steer it. It makes me less confident over a putt and causes manipulation. I realize this isn’t the case for everyone. 

20 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Derek Uyeda, a putting coach who has some of the biggest names on tour has said he doesn’t know why everyone doesn’t use the line. He says it should be illegal because it’s almost like a training aid. I can see his point on that. 

But for me, steering the putter head through impact is the enemy of a good roll and the line makes me steer it. It makes me less confident over a putt and causes manipulation. I realize this isn’t the case for everyone. 

I am not sure why it's not non-conforming. It really is a cheat code to align properly. 

I'll puppet the "line doesn't matter" crowd if there's discussion about eliminating it via a new rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

I am not sure why it's not non-conforming. It really is a cheat code to align properly. 

I'll puppet the "line doesn't matter" crowd if there's discussion about eliminating it via a new rule.

While it does feel against the spirit of the rules, it would be hard to outlaw. All golf balls are going to be branded by a logo (and probably a product name: ProV1, TP5, etc.). 

So long as people can pick up, clean and replace their golf balls on the putting green, it'd be near impossible to stop golfers from finding some way to line up a logo. 

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS