2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Struggling. Not sure if it's me, putter or all together

Shankapotimous

What a frustrating period. This will be long, but I wanted to just throw it out there to get some feedback and comments. 

About 6 years ago, I started to play golf again, taking it seriously. I have a great instructor at GolfTech (top 10 in my state), and things are progressing very well. In between, I decided to focus more on my putter. I was playing with Oddysey EXO-7 putter, thinking nothing of it. It's a short bend neck putter (I am a lefty so selection is limited). To be honest, I bought this putter because I just liked the way it looked and felt how the ball sounded coming off of it. I didn't know anything about toe hangs or face balances, etc. It worked fine. I would putt 36 per round on average. But I wanted to get better. 

Then I discovered Scotty Cameron. I was messing around with a blade putter some at the store and it just felt a little different. I can't describe it, but it felt like I had better "look" on my backstroke. So I bought one. Got "fitted" at GG (I know I know, the only reason why I went there is because it was free if I bought the putter there, so I did it that way). it came up that 34 inch putter with 71 loft was good for me. 

First round out, I had 47 putts. I continued, but NOTHING worked. It was horrible. I lost total faith and confidence. So, being suborned, I bought Phantom X 5.5, but this time, I felt like shorter putter would feel better, so I got 32.5 inches. Things got better. I went back to my regular 36 putts per round and continued playing with this putter this year. However, something was missing. I just don't know  what. my shorter putts were shaky. I would miss 3 footers occasionally that should sink. 

One time, I went to the basement and for the hell of it, took out my very first putter. TM Rossie.. I noticed that this putter had a double bend neck and was face balanced. Since it was 35 inches long, I cut that sucker to 32.5 and slapped a big fat Winn grip on it. Right away, my backstroke felt better, more confident. So, now, I will play today in my league with this putter to see how it plays out. 

I am just so discouraged. Maybe I am expecting too much? Maybe I am just not a very good putter. I practice putting, but then get on a course and my putting game is just mediocre. Nothing special. I think the best I had was 14 putts on 9 holes in my league. Normally, it's 16, occasional 20, which is bad. 

I am seriously considering just sticking with this old putter since it's face balanced and see maybe this is my problem? It sucks because I have almost 1k worth of brand new Scotty Camerons sitting here. Newport blade didn't even see a season and X 5.5 was used just this year. Should I stick with 5.5 and "learn" it? I just feel like the putter should make me a little better? I guess one thing I need to come to realization is that I just want to like Scotty Cameron and have it as my gamer, but if my old crusty putter is giving me better results, then I just can't use Scotty, unless...I blow another $500 for Phantom X 12....ughhhh

Anyone else had this craziness going on? How did you overcome it? 

Edited by Shankapotimous
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

It's not the putter until you start averaging under 32 putts on 11+ greens hit.

You need to get better. 

That is also my thinking lol...maybe this constant putter changing and fiddling with grips actually makes me overthinking all this?

I'm a hack but one thing golf has taught me is that a putter is all about "feel". Just like Furyk and his second hand "Yes" sophia putter.

I'd play whatever feels the best but golf is no longer just a scoring game, it's also a vanity fair where looking good/goof, can get you as much attention as shooting a 59.

For the record I play with an original 1959 Karsten "My Day". I'm currently lined up for a Bettinardi Queen B but I'm not expecting any difference in my game, just a different feel.

How much time are you spending practicing putting and how are you practicing putting? You mention all the different models you have tried, but literally zero mention of drills, hours on practice greens, etc.. I think this speaks to what the issue is. Could be wrong though. When you go to play, are you spending time warming up on the practice green beforehand or just immediately going to the range and smacking drivers like so many other people I see?

13 minutes ago, Putter Addict said:

How much time are you spending practicing putting and how are you practicing putting? You mention all the different models you have tried, but literally zero mention of drills, hours on practice greens, etc.. I think this speaks to what the issue is. Could be wrong though. When you go to play, are you spending time warming up on the practice green beforehand or just immediately going to the range and smacking drivers like so many other people I see?

I spent entire winter practicing on my BirdieBall 14 footer. I use PuttOut tool as well from various  lengths. I really like that tool and it helped me with the pace on the greens. I also recently bought Perfect Putting mat. I can say, I probably do around 200 putts per day through out the day. I also have a mirror that I use, but my alignment is always consistent. 

I never play without a warmup. I always putt on the practice green. Usually, I do pretty good there. As soon as round starts, I feel like I am just "scared"? I don't know how to explain it. I am missing so many birdie opportunities that turn into boggies. Even from <10 feel at times. I putt in every single putt and never take gimmies, just so I can use that opportunity to putt under pressure. There were times that I missed 3 footers!

That is helpful. Sounds like it has gotten in your head at this point. One thing I used to love doing was playing a game with buddies on the practice green. So you have stakes but not quite scoring stakes. So like a putting version of HORSE, etc... gives you a bit of the feeling of having to make the putt but a bit less pressure. Also have someone take a look at your putting to see what breaks down when playing vs practicing. May help.

Funny you say about the game on the practice green. We just did that for the first time with my neighbor. We create a game. 

Pick a hole and we both putt 4 balls. Make it in one putt, that's 2 points. Two putts, that's 1. If you make a second one putt in a row, that's 4 points, next one is 8 points, etc...etc...

To add pressure, if you leave it short, you deduct 1 point. 

Whoever reaches 21 first, wins. 

It was actually fun! 

We went around the practice green since there was nobody around. They have 3 holes there, so we just went around and around.

You're in your own head too much, you're over thinking your putter and putts. Don't think on the green kinda just read and react, the less you think the better I find.

Also what is bad? Is it your speed? Is it your reading? Is it something else I cannot think of? 

Like mentioned above what's your proximity to the hole for 1st putt? Are you starting at say 20ft on average and having 40+ putts or 50ft on average and 40+ putt? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Overall, my pace is good. On long putts, it's probably more reading. My biggest issue is missing those "easy" putts. Like a 3-4 footer. 

Here are some of my putting stats:

Average: 36.9

1 putts: 19%

2 putts: 56%

3 putts: 22%

4 putts: 2%

Zero putts: 1%

GIR Putts: 2.3

Non-GIR Putts: 1.9

image.png.9129ff59e077f97c55c7f3a9515e51e8.png

8 minutes ago, Shankapotimous said:

Overall, my pace is good. On long putts, it's probably more reading. My biggest issue is missing those "easy" putts. Like a 3-4 footer. 

Here are some of my putting stats:

Average: 36.9

1 putts: 19%

2 putts: 56%

3 putts: 22%

4 putts: 2%

Zero putts: 1%

GIR Putts: 2.3

Non-GIR Putts: 1.9

image.png.9129ff59e077f97c55c7f3a9515e51e8.png

If those 3-4ft putts are an issue just stand over them for like 10 in a row. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

1 hour ago, Shankapotimous said:

What a frustrating period. This will be long, but I wanted to just throw it out there to get some feedback and comments. 

About 6 years ago, I started to play golf again, taking it seriously. I have a great instructor at GolfTech (top 10 in my state), and things are progressing very well. In between, I decided to focus more on my putter. I was playing with Oddysey EXO-7 putter, thinking nothing of it. It's a short bend neck putter (I am a lefty so selection is limited). To be honest, I bought this putter because I just liked the way it looked and felt how the ball sounded coming off of it. I didn't know anything about toe hangs or face balances, etc. It worked fine. I would putt 36 per round on average. But I wanted to get better. 

Then I discovered Scotty Cameron. I was messing around with a blade putter some at the store and it just felt a little different. I can't describe it, but it felt like I had better "look" on my backstroke. So I bought one. Got "fitted" at GG (I know I know, the only reason why I went there is because it was free if I bought the putter there, so I did it that way). it came up that 34 inch putter with 71 loft was good for me. 

First round out, I had 47 putts. I continued, but NOTHING worked. It was horrible. I lost total faith and confidence. So, being suborned, I bought Phantom X 5.5, but this time, I felt like shorter putter would feel better, so I got 32.5 inches. Things got better. I went back to my regular 36 putts per round and continued playing with this putter this year. However, something was missing. I just don't know  what. my shorter putts were shaky. I would miss 3 footers occasionally that should sink. 

One time, I went to the basement and for the hell of it, took out my very first putter. TM Rossie.. I noticed that this putter had a double bend neck and was face balanced. Since it was 35 inches long, I cut that sucker to 32.5 and slapped a big fat Winn grip on it. Right away, my backstroke felt better, more confident. So, now, I will play today in my league with this putter to see how it plays out. 

I am just so discouraged. Maybe I am expecting too much? Maybe I am just not a very good putter. I practice putting, but then get on a course and my putting game is just mediocre. Nothing special. I think the best I had was 14 putts on 9 holes in my league. Normally, it's 16, occasional 20, which is bad. 

I am seriously considering just sticking with this old putter since it's face balanced and see maybe this is my problem? It sucks because I have almost 1k worth of brand new Scotty Camerons sitting here. Newport blade didn't even see a season and X 5.5 was used just this year. Should I stick with 5.5 and "learn" it? I just feel like the putter should make me a little better? I guess one thing I need to come to realization is that I just want to like Scotty Cameron and have it as my gamer, but if my old crusty putter is giving me better results, then I just can't use Scotty, unless...I blow another $500 for Phantom X 12....ughhhh

It’s very common for people to not get along with certain necks/toe-hang. Just stick with a double-bend and keep practicing. Stop trying to force other putters/models to work, you’ve clearly identified the type of putter you are most confident with. And there’s nothing wrong with using a double-bend/fb putter…just look at how popular they are on Tour, idk why u sound ill-content with the fact that you’re best suited for face-balanced

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

I have been there and I know the feeling. I don't think equipment changes will really give you the long term solution or satisfaction you're looking for.

I think what helps me is taking a bit of time off to recalibrate your mind and let any lingering negativity subside a bit. Take this time to get rid of your expectations and obsession with results (not accusing you of being obsessed, but I know that I have been at times). When you feel like getting back to it, try to simplify your approach and just focus on improving one thing at a time. For me, my fault is that I start picking my head up to look at the roll of the ball after I have struck my putt, so I literally just hit a bunch of putts inside 10 feet going through my whole routine (read from behind ball, get up, 2 practice strokes, set the putter head behind the ball, set my eyes over the ball, set my feet up, take one last look, and let it go) thinking about nothing other than keeping my eyes focused on one dimple of the ball. Make a game of it, if you want. See how many in a row you can make from 3 feet. See if you can go 5/10 from 10 feet. You get the idea. Once you feel good about that first correction, you can move on to another factor if you want. Repeat until your putter works again. 

If you don't have a somewhat reliable pre shot routine and just step up to putts feeling bad about yourself or hoping they will go in, it likely doesn't matter what kind of putter you're using. I promise you're a more capable putter than you realize. However, constantly tinkering with your putter(s) just makes it harder for your eyes to get used to the way a putter looks when it's aimed correctly/incorrectly and if anything it would be easier to figure out if you have a certain tendency if you practiced and played with the same one for a while. Go through your routine, be decisive, focus on one basic aspect of the stroke, and do it again and again. 

And always remember the golden rule of putting: "If you miss, the next one is due to go in. If you make it, the next one is due to go in."  

5 hours ago, MattM97 said:

If those 3-4ft putts are an issue just stand over them for like 10 in a row. 

Yes…..but.  My guess for @Shankapotimous is it’s really is the pace on those short putts.  

Do they get to the hole or do they get a couple feet past?  Getting a bit tentative on short one leads to a decelerating stroke.  Commit to hitting the back of the hole on the short ones.

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I think you have to retrain the brain a bit. Anything over ten feet, you should just be thinking two putt, leaving yourself the shortest putt possible. Speed control is 90% of this. Switching putters isnt helping dial that in. Putting gets alot of blame but dont forget poor approach and short game can lead to bad putting numbers. If you hit the green but are 50+ ft away alot,  the problem isn’t necessarily putting but getting the ball closer. 

1 hour ago, Shilgy said:

Yes…..but.  My guess for @Shankapotimous is it’s really is the pace on those short putts.  

Do they get to the hole or do they get a couple feet past?  Getting a bit tentative on short one leads to a decelerating stroke.  Commit to hitting the back of the hole on the short ones.

Could be but he said pace is pretty good. I know for myself I struggle with the shorter ones as well. Shoot my make percentage from 25ft is double than from 6-9ft.

Lefty - WITB Thread

If money is no issue, you can try alternative putting like armlock, broom, or counterbalanced like Fowler/Clark/Keegan

A grip change to shock the system isn’t a bad idea. Sometimes the body responds well to a shock to the system. You can try claw or left hand low

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

9 hours ago, Shankapotimous said:

Clock drill will change your life!! Put 3-5 balls at 12/3/6/9 if the hole was the center of the clock. Start at 3’ and if you miss you start over. You can work your way up to 5’ or 7’ if you’re feeling frisky. This is the only drill I practice and has single handedly taken me from a good putter to a great putter. It simulates pressure on the course if you start over when you miss. Could take 15 min or hours. Find a hole where you get uphill, downhill and right & left breaker.

WITB - 5/23/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 60G

4W: TSR2 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 70G

7W: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

4H: TSR2 21* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5 80G

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H/62T - DG X100TI

Odyssey AI One Rossie S / TaylorMade TP Collection Juno

Ball : ProV1 for now not 100% commited to it though

2 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Could be but he said pace is pretty good. I know for myself I struggle with the shorter ones as well. Shoot my make percentage from 25ft is double than from 6-9ft.

I hear ya but most guys I play with say their pace is good if the ball just gets to the hole. That leads to issues on short putts.

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I consider myself a competent but not particularly good putter. But that's speaking as a low teens handicapper. According to my Strokes Gained app I'm about 2-1/2 shots worse than a Scratch golfer and "putting handicap" is 11.

Looking at your percentages, my 1-putt make percentage from each range is the same to very slightly better than yours. But your 3-putt percentages are much higher. Not sure I agree with your assessment that 3-4 footers are a bit part of the issue. It's about 3-jacking from intermediate to long distances IMO.

• Like 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Well... my dudes.. I have one question for you. Have you ever topped a putt? Yes, I mean, TOPPED. Well, I did! yesterday! I topped a long 40 footer lol...Can't make this s*** up. 

Anwyays, something is definitaly going on. Even my league playing friends said that yesterday. I am just so nervous on those short putts. I missed 3 of them yesterday. Here is how my putting went:

Hole   Distance   Putts

1          7 feet        2

2         5 feet        2

3         40 feet     3

4         5 feet        1 (Used putter from the fringe, hence why this is one putt because I made the next one)

5         15 feet      2

6        3 feet        1

7        40 feet      3 (topped first long putt, had a good line though, missed a 3 footer here - lipout)

8        10 feet      1

9        40 feet      3 (missed a 3 footer here - lipout)

18 total putts. Lots of mishit putts with this putter. Just could feel them not being hit in the right spot. Despite missing some short ones, I think I just simply played too much break. On one hole, I originally set my ball up (I use line)...looked at it, and left it there.. then, changed the line a little. If I didn't change it, the putt would go in. 

Like some of you said, I simply need to practice and maybe incorporate other drills in my practice sessions. I can putt at home all damn day and make them in, but if that doesn't translate on the course, then I am just wasting my time. 

Shank... my 2 cents. Line  up your putters lightest to heaviest and have a home putt off. Use the winner the rest of the season. Forget using a ball line, eyeball your line and stroke the putt, we're just going for distance control ( kind a like corn hole ) judge distance and hitting that spot. Make your PPR short and routine. Think and feel tempo, it stays the same every single putt, just your stroke gets longer on the lag putts. Quit thinking about anything over the  putt trust your routine and NO peaking on the short ones. 

Pro's only make half their 10 footers, we're not Pro's here. 

42 minutes ago, Shankapotimous said:

Well... my dudes.. I have one question for you. Have you ever topped a putt? Yes, I mean, TOPPED. Well, I did! yesterday! I topped a long 40 footer lol...Can't make this s*** up. 

Anwyays, something is definitaly going on. Even my league playing friends said that yesterday. I am just so nervous on those short putts. I missed 3 of them yesterday. Here is how my putting went:

Hole   Distance   Putts

1          7 feet        2

2         5 feet        2

3         40 feet     3

4         5 feet        1 (Used putter from the fringe, hence why this is one putt because I made the next one)

5         15 feet      2

6        3 feet        1

7        40 feet      3 (topped first long putt, had a good line though, missed a 3 footer here - lipout)

8        10 feet      1

9        40 feet      3 (missed a 3 footer here - lipout)

18 total putts. Lots of mishit putts with this putter. Just could feel them not being hit in the right spot. Despite missing some short ones, I think I just simply played too much break. On one hole, I originally set my ball up (I use line)...looked at it, and left it there.. then, changed the line a little. If I didn't change it, the putt would go in. 

Like some of you said, I simply need to practice and maybe incorporate other drills in my practice sessions. I can putt at home all damn day and make them in, but if that doesn't translate on the course, then I am just wasting my time. 

I've topped, drop-kicked, toe-jammed and borked more putts than I can count over the last 30 years and 5,000 rounds. Once you start trying too hard and thinking too much, eventually it'll start edging into out-and-out yips.

Once a good few years ago, I whiffed at an 18-inch putt, not because I stepped up and backhanded it, I actually lined it up and gave it my full attention but then froze over the ball until all I do was twitch at it without hitting the ball. 

I don't know what the cure is for you but you've got to find some middle ground between what you're doing (obsessive putter-changing, practicing, stat-keeping) versus giving up and not developing some touch and consistency in your stroke.

For me, the turning point was when I quit trying to make the putter go "straight back and straight through" and I quit watching the alignment line my putter during my stroke and I quit doing practice strokes. I totally leaned into visualizing the line before stepping up to the ball then doing the old Davis Love thing of taking one last look at the hole then starting the stroke the instant my eyes were back over the ball. 

The worst thing I ever did was spend a few weeks during the winter hitting putt after putt after putt indoors trying to groove that SBST stroke with several different putters by making "perfect" strokes on 8-foot straight putts. It took me a long, long time after that debacle to be able to putt a lick. And longer still to really get back to having some feel and touch and putt without tension in my hands, arms and shoulders.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted