2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Wilson Staff Cavity Back vs. other big brands-feedback?

RoyalMustang

I was throwing around the idea of trying some Wilson Staff CB irons. I like, but don't love, my Mizuno MP20 MMC irons. I think it's the DG120X profile and seem to prefer something a bit more traditional. If I go that route, I will probably just get newer irons, as the Mizunos are beat up and I would keep them as a 2nd set. 

Anyone play the Wilson Cavity Back? The irons I would compare them to are similar; something like a Callaway MB/Apex Pro combo set, Mizuno 223, or Tour/Forged 923 combo set.

I'm open to playing blades in the scoring irons, but don't NEED to for ego purposes. I do want a crisp, forged feel.  

How are the long irons to hit? I find my MP20 MMC irons to be pretty easy in the long iron section, but I have hit the new 225 hot metal and they have a bigger sweet spot, which I'm not opposed to. 

I've been playing the Staff CBs for two seasons now. I switched from Srixon Z785s.

The Staff CBs are probably most comparable in shape/size to the Titleist 620CB. The blade length is compact. It is shorter than the Z785 which is why I switched to them. I wanted a shorter blade from heel to toe.

I couldn't be happier with them. The look at address and feel is fantastic. They are quite forgiving on thin misses (my specialty) and the rounded sole (front to back) is great through the turf. I play 4-PW and to the extent that a 57-year old 5 handicap can hit a 4i, I hit it pretty well. I'm a pretty low ball hitter and can still hold a green when I make solid contact.

They are super easy to adjust for loft / lie and I have mine bent for my preferred gapping. I swapped out the stock DG S300 for Nippon 125 since I am not a DG fan.

I really should be looking for another set as a backup for when I wear these out.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

One of the best cb’s on the market.  Everyone is different with their needs on how they deliver the club through impact, but I thought the sole design is not talked about enough.  They are so smooth through the turf, feel fantastic and have a little pop to them even though they have traditional lofts.

• Like 2

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

I am currently playing the Wilson Staff CB irons and I absolutely love them.  I find them very forgiving for their compact size.  The sole is very rounded but they do not have a lot of bounce.  1* of bounce in the 3 and 4 irons, then going up 1* of bounce for each club, reaching 6* of bounce in the 9-iron and pitching wedge.  This is exactly why I like them, they are low bounce but with a very rounded sole they play like they have more bounce and are hard to hit fat.

The feel is a wonderful firm forged feel, much better feel than the PXG 0311P Gen 3’s that I had.  Trying different modern Players Distance irons I just didn’t love the feel of them at all.  I missed the feel of a forged cavity back.

I’d say the Wilson Staff CB are a little more forgiving than the Titleist 620 CB, although the Titleist CB definitely wins in the looks department.  I played the Titleist 620 CB when they first came out but started having elbow trouble so decided to move on from them as they had Project X 6.0 steel shafts.  The sole of the Wilson definitely seems a bit wider than the Titleist CB, although I didn’t own  both sets simultaneously to make a side by side comparison.

I bought the Wilson’s here on the BST mainly due to the fact they had the MMT 125 shafts in them and have been very happy with this combo.  For those of us that prefer a forged cavity back iron, the Wilson Staff CB is a strong contender.

• Like 1

I am currently playing them for the second time actually and they are staying put. I had them, sold them and regretted it almost immediately. I was a long time player of the FG Tour V6 as well and agree with the above poster in that I favor the V6 between the two. I find that I hit both the Staff CB and V6 long irons better than any other Cb I've  used. I have absolutely no fear with the 4 iron in my hand. I can't say that about some other irons I've played.

The V6 irons are some of the best forged CB’s ever made. Still in many pros bags.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 7/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, RoyalMustang said:

I was throwing around the idea of trying some Wilson Staff CB irons. I like, but don't love, my Mizuno MP20 MMC irons. I think it's the DG120X profile and seem to prefer something a bit more traditional. If I go that route, I will probably just get newer irons, as the Mizunos are beat up and I would keep them as a 2nd set. 

Anyone play the Wilson Cavity Back? The irons I would compare them to are similar; something like a Callaway MB/Apex Pro combo set, Mizuno 223, or Tour/Forged 923 combo set.

I'm open to playing blades in the scoring irons, but don't NEED to for ego purposes. I do want a crisp, forged feel.  

How are the long irons to hit? I find my MP20 MMC irons to be pretty easy in the long iron section, but I have hit the new 225 hot metal and they have a bigger sweet spot, which I'm not opposed to. 

I found a set that matched my specs: 1/2" short (I always choke down a touch), X100 shafts. Got them in LN new condition for $600, so I'm going to give them a try. 

The 1/2" short should work well: I play my driver at 1" short and my 3H at 1/2" short. Haven't been fitted but when I did the Ping measurements, I came up "red". It makes sense: I am 5 foot 9 but with really long legs and long arms. Full length clubs always feel too "upright" for me. 

I'll just chime in and re-iterate what everyone's already said. Lovely irons; I came from V6s to CBs and found them easier to hit than the V6s without sacrificing anything in the feel department.

Worst day of my golf life was selling them and I wish I just re-shafted instead.

Titleist TSR2 10* - Ventus TR Red 6X

Titleist TS3 4W 16.5* - T1100 Evenflow White 6.5

W/S UT 20* - HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0

W/S Dynapwr Forged 5&6i - PX Rifle 6.0

W/S '24 CB 7-PW - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM9 50@49* - PX Rifle 6.0

Vokey SM8 54/58 - PX Rifle 6.0

SINK 1992 Custom

Still loving my Wilson CB's with recoil 95. I played my career best ever at 81 with these last week. Normally I try break 90 when I play. They sure look good too.

• Like 2

Driver... Cobra Aerojet LS, Lin-Q M40X R
Fairway... 4 & 7 TEE E722 Ventus Red R
Irons... 4-P Wilson Staff CB, UST Recoil 95 R
Wedges... 50/54/58 Cleveland RTX-6 Recoil 95 R
Putter... Odyssey White Hot Pro Super Stroke 2.0 XL Legacy

I finally hit the CBs: one set with an X100 that felt like it was HS (it's 3/4" short) and one with an S300. 

Both were superb, but the X100 launched super low, even when flushed, and really required a controlled tempo. I could be sloppier on the S300 and get better results: the typical well-struck ball had probably a 30% difference in height. 

Superb irons though: the 7 iron S300 was carrying 183 and the 5 iron 215. That's a lot of distance for an iron without too much "tech". They seem to have a huge sweet spot; slightly larger than my MP20 MMC set. 

Looking good so far!

• Like 2

Vaguely related, but after getting a blank cheque for iron shopping last Christmas, I had a fitting and a trial session with various irons.

Although the TM P770 and Mizuno JPX-921 were nice semi-finalists, a set of W/S D7 forged with KBS $ Taper Lite shafts were clear winners.

Not too much offset and great launch numbers, all in a compact traditional head.

If the P770 had the $ Tapers and not the Tour 120 in them, it could have been closer.

Regardless, wish they had had the Staff CB in stock, as they certainly would have gotten a whack.  But based on the heavier shafts, I still might have ended up with the D7 Forged.

TL:DR - Wilson Staff makes nice clubs.  Make sure it's the right shaft.

Edited by ScooterMcTavish

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

On 7/30/2023 at 11:13 AM, hammergolf said:

The V6 irons are some of the best forged CB’s ever made. Still in many pros bags.

The one set I really really regret selling. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

horrible exp with the V4 - weights were all over the place - absolute nightmare, love the looks of the V6 - but passed on them, picked up a set a CB for super cheap last month - they are a builders dream, don't have to use any tip weights to D2 on a set of KBS tour reg, even from OEM only the pw had a 2g tip weight, the entire set of heads are well constructed.  they are basically a 620 CB look a like with better feel, forgiveness, and extra tech in 7i-4i.  there is nothing to help or hinder you, they are what they are, traditional CB's with a PW that looks proper unlike the heinous mizuno mp pw :(. only issue is excess rusting on the face.

look, feel wise good as anything out there, maybe Mizuno slightly thumpier, but all that is subjective

forgiveness, srixon beats it by a country mile

price - very competitive if you stick with the stock offerings