Titleist T150s are gonna be all-timers

MtlJeff

see a lot of numbers, want to be a numbers kinda guy but am a sucker for looks.  Now I'm busy waiting for the blueprint T.

good luck with the 150.  

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I got fit into a combo set of T200 (6-9 1° weak) and T150 (PW-GW). Came from Cobra King Tours (5-PW). Already carried a 52° gap wedge, so I basically have 2 gap wedges now with the T150 48° gap wedge. I don't really care what the number on the bottom of the club says, but I have even better gapping now than what I came from. The 125 yard shot was always a tweener for me since it was too much for a full PW and too far for a full 52°.  I've eliminated the 5 iron, because the T200 5 iron was basically the same as my current 4 hybrid. So I bought a 6 club iron set instead of 7.

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

I've hit them. They are very nice, but something still bothers me about t100, 150 etc. Feel. I grew up playing 695 CBs and they were smooth as butter. I feel like all the new T series still feel slightly clicky to me with a Pro v1. I prefer zx7 zii but they are both very good 

Edited by R5Two

4 hours ago, R5Two said:

I've hit them. They are very nice, but something still bothers me about t100, 150 etc. Feel. I grew up playing 695 CBs and they were smooth as butter. I feel like all the new T series still feel slightly clicky to me with a Pro v1. I prefer zx7 zii but they are both very good 

620CBs have that same feel still.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2023 at 8:21 PM, Brooks_Cupcake said:

compared them pretty extensively vs the T100, and I didn’t find a discernible difference between the two. I saw a bit more ball speed but the peak height was the same but both got there in different ways.

The T150 was a better bit in terms of indoor optimized numbers because of the lower spin profile, but I preferred the feel of the T100 23’s. 
Both are great irons, but I didn’t see anything that knocked out my TCB.

How do they (in particular T150) compare to the ‘21 T100S? I have no complaints with The T100S, but always experimenting to see if there are significant gains in terms of feel and performance. Is it worth the upgrade from T100S to T150?

47 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

While I don't think the T100 or T150 lack in top-quality feel, I just think it's a moot point altogether. 

Tour guys worry about spin optimization. Low indexes care about gapping and peak heights. Mid indexes worry about distance. High indexes worry about getting the ball up with some help. Nobody is going in purely worrying about feel anymore. In fact, it's rarely discussed in this era when we're all so aware of all the parameters measured by LMs. 

Respectfully disagree. Tour guys worry about money. All the top brands make great equipment and they can fit spin, gapping, trajectory, etc. Especially now with all the specialty shafts. You have seen multiple tour players move equipment brands and win in the same year. I have seen amatures move from one GI to another and have very similiar numbers.  Everything is good. In my opinion all that is left is money, looks and sound/feel.

That's why we have so many TCB vs T100 conversations, etc. All equipment is good and big manufacturers have a club series for every player. 

• Like 2

On 8/25/2023 at 8:23 PM, MtlJeff said:

This is actually my first set of Titleist irons! Can you believe that? (probably not all given my history---but it's true)

They are really sweet! I mean i am sure the new Apex Pros are gonna be awesome and all that

I just think the look and size of these are perfect. I am guessing a lot of golfers will choose them

(waits for bag of money from titleist---I'm an influencer dammit!!!!)

I wish I had this level of commitment to a set of irons! I am very jealous!! 

1 hour ago, Sean124 said:

I’ll never understand the feel comments for T100/T150, but to each their own. They feel great to me and I was a Mizuno blade guy for years. 

But the guys on here who say T100 isn’t “workable” enough are out of their minds. 🤣

I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread but I understand the feel comments because it just depends what people like.

The T150 is clickier than some other forged heads. But some people like that. Everyone has a different opinion of what feel even is. My 0317 definitely feel "softer" but I don't necessarily prefer that

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 8/27/2023 at 8:57 AM, MelloYello said:

I'm not sure the T150 serves as much of a purpose as some claim it does (for low handicappers). Titleist has achieved distance by hitting the intermediate spots WRT ball speed & spin. And they've compensated for what would be a slight loss in launch angle with a slightly lower CG to balance peak height with that of T100. 

So, they've successfully turned your 7-8-9 iron into a 6.5-7.5-8.5. However, how much of that is just optimizing for launch monitor sessions (i.e. full swings on fairway lies)? Titleist fitters are pointing hard at the improved distance and saying, 'hey, you're not losing height so this is objectively better.' And there's no doubt the public (at least the people making big swings on launch monitors) are buying into this. 

But I think it's a little more complicated. The T150 has the same blade length & offset as the T100 so it's "confidence-inspiring" look comes almost entirely from the (marginally) thicker topline. Okay, but few in the crowd that were opting for T100 over CB/MB were complaining that T100 wasn't big enough. The purpose of T100 was to preserve the tour-preferred CB aesthetic. And if T150 has the same blade length & offset, how much is really being accomplished by that topline, particularly if the lofts are noticeably stronger? 

Personally, I would notice the loft as a negative every bit as much as I'd notice the "confidence-inspiring" topline. If the blade length isn't longer on the T150, it'd be a wash to me at which point the only real selling point of the T150 would be the added distance...but who asked for that and what does it really do for the low-index golfer?  

This might rattle some cages but I would call the T150 the "player's" alternative to the T200.

Likewise, I would relate the T100 to the CB the same way with the CB being a "traditional" version of the T100. As an aside, if the T100 and CB are aimed at the same player, we can notice how much more popular the inclusion of tech is in the T100 with the CB being selected by only a few purists. 

*I think* we'll find a lot of these T100 guys who are grabbing the T150 for the "free distance" may come back next year complaining about a lot of practical issues just as if they were to have gamed a T200. I suspect we'll hear about gapping issues, limited ability to manipulate trajectory & spin, loss in (manipulated) distance control, less-than-desirable spin from outside the fairway, etc. 

These same issues inevitably arise when you start playing the stronger-lofts-lower-CG game. 

In other words, these guys won't be able to go to the world of T150/T200 without paying a price for that distance which Trackman and GC Quad said they were going to get for "free." It's all fine and dandy to make the trade-off in the longer irons, but what low-index golfer is asking for the extra distance of high-launch & low-spin in their short irons? 

What gives me pause about the T150 is that it's really designed to win in the arena of launch monitors and so much content today is driven by full-swing-only sessions. I'm not convinced that your average T100/CB player is really dying to give up what they'll have to for another half-club of short-iron distance (on full swings) but hey, I'm ready to admit that Titleist has done as much as they can to challenge that. 

All I'm saying is that we've been down this path before and while it's relatively new for Titleist, all they've really done here is to extend the "distance at all costs" mentality into something that's the same general size of the T100.

Will that new approach be popular? Well, personally, I think the guys who want the distance are going to prefer the T200 for it's size, sole and launch. I don't think the player who wants distance is really asking Titleist to please shrink the T200 down to match the T100/CB but that's just my opinion on it. 🙂

I know guys who play the T200 and they wouldn't want their clubs shrunk down to the size of a T150/T100. And I know the T100/CB guys and they don't want to play the high-launch/low-spin thing in their scoring irons. 

So personally, outside of guys staring at full swing data on Trackman, I'm not sure who the T150 really helps. Maybe the guy who doesn't hit his T100 far enough? I guess?

If the Vokey design is considered acceptable in the Gw, why are we obsessing about raw power on the 8-9-Pw? Shouldn't the added stability in the T100/CB be sufficient? The T100/CB are certainly much more stable than the Vokey which sits right next to it in the bag!

It just doesn't make sense why a player would want a Vokey Gw and then all of a sudden shift to a completely different mindset seeking pure power with the very next club in the bag, especially when it's going to come at a cost. 

There's going to be a penalty for all this distance. Shot-making in the short-irons is going to suffer with strong lofts and low-spin heads and to me, that's antithetical to the low-index's objective of scoring.  

I echo a lot of these thoughts and it has me confused what my next set of irons should be. I play off a +1 to 1 depending on how the flat stick has been. 6i ss is 95mph. Irons are my strength. Currently game Mizuno mp20 blades p-7 and HMB 6-4. My main complaint with them is on course when I am between a 7i and 6i, as they play much different in flight, spin, and turf. 

T100s are on my short list to try, probably P-6. The looks, loft package, and performance seems perfect. I do love having some extra forgiveness in a 5 and 4 iron, but not sure if the t150 accomplishes that or should I go t200 in 5 and 4? 

T150 for P-4 seems crazy to me. The only purpose of that seems to be so I can tell my buddies I hit an 8 iron 10 yards farther than I used to, but that is so counterproductive to good golf. If I cared about looks more than scores then I'd just go back to my full blades 3-p. Currently my 50* vokey covers the 115-130 gap well, my PW is 130-145. A PW going 140-155 would create a massive gap in one of the most important yardages in all of golf.

So, to me, the only practical purpose of t150 would be extra forgiveness vs the t100 in the long irons, and I have no idea how much help they actually provide there? Plus my loft gaps would be tough to overcome....buy t150 then bend 2* weak? That would mess up offset, bounce, etc. 

At the end of the day once you get above a certain speed, t150 just seem like launch monitor heros in a smaller looking package that will compromise your ability to score on the course. 

Point being I have no clue what irons to get nor how to combo them. Wish they made a normal lofted club with t200 type forgiveness....seems if you want any forgiveness in irons these days you need to play juiced lofts that hurt your game. 

Edited by Floyd12
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Floyd12 said:

I echo a lot of these thoughts and it has me confused what my next set of irons should be. I play off a +1 to 1 depending on how the flat stick has been. 6i ss is 95mph. Irons are my strength. Currently game Mizuno mp20 blades p-7 and HMB 6-4. My main complaint with them is on course when I am between a 7i and 6i, as they play much different in flight, spin, and turf. 

T100s are on my short list to try, probably P-6. The looks, loft package, and performance seems perfect. I do love having some extra forgiveness in a 5 and 4 iron, but not sure if the t150 accomplishes that or should I go t200 in 5 and 4? 

T150 for P-4 seems crazy to me. The only purpose of that seems to be so I can tell my buddies I hit an 8 iron 10 yards farther than I used to, but that is so counterproductive to good golf. If I cared about looks more than scores then I'd just go back to my full blades 3-p. Currently my 50* vokey covers the 115-130 gap well, my PW is 130-145. A PW going 140-155 would create a massive gap in one of the most important yardages in all of golf.

So, to me, the only practical purpose of t150 would be extra forgiveness vs the t100 in the long irons, and I have no idea how much help they actually provide there? Plus my loft gaps would be tough to overcome....buy t150 then bend 2* weak? That would mess up offset, bounce, etc. 

At the end of the day once you get above a certain speed, t150 just seem like launch monitor heros in a smaller looking package that will compromise your ability to score on the course. 

Point being I have no clue what irons to get nor how to combo them. Wish they made a normal lofted club with t200 type forgiveness....seems if you want any forgiveness in irons these days you need to play juiced lofts that hurt your game. 

Well said.

I’m looking for the same kind of club you are and have similar struggles (expect the low hc, which I am no where near 🙂 )  but have not been able to find it.    Have you tied the jpx tour?

Pxg 0317 and ping i210/230 are close, but a little chunky.   Srixon zx7 is also close if you get along with the soles.  Those three seem to give a higher swing speed the forgiveness without a ton of extra ball speed or launch.  The pings are so consistent it almost makes trying to take some yardage off/add difficult.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

13 minutes ago, Floyd12 said:

I'm currently playing off a +2 and made the switch to T150's from prior gen T100S and long time AP2 player.  There's more to it than just getting hung up on the lofts as the T150 allow me to hit my launch and spin windows better than "traditional lofts" like T100, again for my swing.  The size of the T150 is very close to AP2 size, combined with the different weighting and added forgiveness allows for a better miss for me as my miss can be a groove or so low and these T150's are amazing for that miss.  I care less about what loft or number is stamped on the bottom as it's only 2* different, so I adjusted my wedges accordingly to hit my numbers on the course with no gaps on the lower end.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sean124 said:

I’ll never understand the feel comments for T100/T150, but to each their own. They feel great to me and I was a Mizuno blade guy for years. 

But the guys on here who say T100 isn’t “workable” enough are out of their minds. 🤣

Yeah, agreed!

I just recently went through a big session comparing my Srixon Z-forged blade to the T100 and T150 and I can say with 100% confidence that the Titleist sets felt every bit as good (if not better) than my blade. They have a heavy, muted thump that was the very definition of solid & powerful. 

I hit the ball quite well and my numbers with the T100 matched my Srixon blade identically across the board: launch, spin, height, land angle, carry, etc. 

What shocked me most was that the T150 felt basically identical to the T100 although it did lack a bit in launch & spin on partial shots and draws. I would consider both the T100 and T150 to be elite-level in sound & feel. No downgrade at all (to my senses).

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

13 minutes ago, kevster1 said:

I'm currently playing off a +2 and made the switch to T150's from prior gen T100S and long time AP2 player.  There's more to it than just getting hung up on the lofts as the T150 allow me to hit my launch and spin windows better than "traditional lofts" like T100, again for my swing.  The size of the T150 is very close to AP2 size, combined with the different weighting and added forgiveness allows for a better miss for me as my miss can be a groove or so low and these T150's are amazing for that miss.  I care less about what loft or number is stamped on the bottom as it's only 2* different, so I adjusted my wedges accordingly to hit my numbers on the course with no gaps on the lower end.

Based on my testing I felt I was more likely to hit the ball a fraction too low with knock-downs and draws when using the T150. I felt the added loft and spin of the T100 made it a more workable club for me across all types of shots. 

Ian Fraser of TXG recently commented on a certain type of club being better for a Brooks type of swinger who's a bit more "on top" and who hits a bit more of a "squeeze fade." 

I found the advantages of the T150 were only present when I had a neutral path and a shallow (-2o) AoA. In other words, if I made a conscious effort to step on it I saw reasonable height (90-105 feet) and a good land angle (47-49o).

But on those knock-downs and mid-flighted shots with a slight draw I was a little prone to seeing the ball come out a bit too flat. I think I'd still like to try the T150 in practice, if only to see how different it truly is. 

For me, the T100 was obviously a clone of my Srixon blades. The numbers between those two were an exactly match across the board. But I think the added loft/spin was better for working those partial shots. 

Just my 2 cents on who might fit into the T150 and who might not. 

Would you say you're more of a powerful, fade player?

I ask because I think maybe the T150 could turn into a punishing club for a lower-flight guy who turns it over on his stock shot. 

In my experience, these stronger lofts only work for the type of (modern) player who's relatively shallow, with a neutral path and who's probably more prone to hitting that high fade people love to hit now.

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

28 minutes ago, kevster1 said:

Thanks for the response. You mention "for my swing". What's your typical 6i ss, path, AoA? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Well said.

I’m looking for the same kind of club you are and have similar struggles (expect the low hc, which I am no where near 🙂 )  but have not been able to find it.    Have you tied the jpx tour?

Pxg 0317 and ping i210/230 are close, but a little chunky.   Srixon zx7 is also close if you get along with the soles.  Those three seem to give a higher swing speed the foregives with a tone of extra ball speed or launch.  The pings are so consistent it almost makes trying to take some yardage off/add difficult.

I have never tried the jpx tours, in no small part due to the same issue. What to do with 4i/5i? JPX forged has juiced lofts, so it's the same issue as t100 and t150.

I can certainly hit a 5i and 4i in a blade, but would just rather a little extra help because why not? I'm not flag hunting from 200+ out. 

Edited by Floyd12
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Floyd12 said:

Thanks for the response. You mention "for my swing". What's your typical 6i ss, path, AoA? 

Good question and I eagerly await the response because I think it definitely matters. 

I'll say that for me the combination of stronger lofts (offset by a slightly lower CG) only became a benefit when my AoA was low (-2o) and my path was relatively neutral. With that, I saw a 7i that flew an extra 5-yds out to ~170-yd, spun about 5700, averaged around 95- or 100-ft peak height and landed at about 47o

I think all that would be fine if it were someone's stock shot. 

When I hit my stock mid-draw with a path that was a bit more out (+4o) with a steeper AoA (-4o) I saw limited height (80-ft), very low spin (5200) and a disappointingly low land angle (42.5o).

For those types of swings I thought the T100 performed better as it still delivered around 5600 spin, 90-ft peak height and preserved a 47o land angle. 

My impression was that the T150 is a fine club but probably better for the guy who's more neutral in his delivery. Maybe the T150 is the fade player's iron while the T100 is the draw player's iron? That's a bit too simple but it gets to the heart of the difference, I think. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

24 minutes ago, Floyd12 said:

6i swing speed is right around 86mph as I'm taller 6'4" allows for that little longer, smoother swing. Path is very neutral to 2* max out to in (thus fade) with AoA around 3.5 down. During fitting my fitter actually said my shot shape is what they are seeing the pros go to, higher soft fade.

My 150/200 combo is on order- ships 9/9.  Fitter saw no demonstrable difference in forgiveness/spin between 150/200 with me. I ordered 5/6 iron 200 model just for the height.  Got a nice higher flight out of those versus the 5/6 150.  Also went with the AMT Black shafts.

The turf interaction is wonderful - 150 are skinny and 200 aren't far behind.  Looking down at these irons you won't feel like you are "hitting a different iron" when you transition to the combos.  

• Like 2

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

32 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Good question and I eagerly await the response because I think it definitely matters. 

I'll say that for me the combination of stronger lofts (offset by a slightly lower CG) only became a benefit when my AoA was low (-2o) and my path was relatively neutral. With that, I saw a 7i that flew an extra 5-yds out to ~170-yd, spun about 5700, averaged around 95- or 100-ft peak height and landed at about 47o

I think all that would be fine if it were someone's stock shot. 

When I hit my stock mid-draw with a path that was a bit more out (+4o) with a steeper AoA (-4o) I saw limited height (80-ft), very low spin (5200) and a disappointingly low land angle (42.5o).

For those types of swings I thought the T100 performed better as it still delivered around 5600 spin, 90-ft peak height and preserved a 47o land angle. 

My impression was that the T150 is a fine club but probably better for the guy who's more neutral in his delivery. Maybe the T150 is the fade player's iron while the T100 is the draw player's iron? That's a bit too simple but it gets to the heart of the difference, I think. 

That is pretty much my exact stock shot and one I've spent a long time (and money) getting that way.  Again the T150 choice allowed me a better miss for my tendency to miss slightly thin. Big difference short right into bunker vs short right front edge of green...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevster1 said:

6i swing speed is right around 86mph as I'm taller 6'4" allows for that little longer, smoother swing. Path is very neutral to 2* max out to in (thus fade) with AoA around 3.5 down. During fitting my fitter actually said my shot shape is what they are seeing the pros go to, higher soft fade.

That makes a lot of sense to me then because I think that's exactly who the 'power spec' style of irons helps, IMHO; the player who tends to present a healthy amount of dynamic loft. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

9 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Yeah, agreed!

I just recently went through a big session comparing my Srixon Z-forged blade to the T100 and T150 and I can say with 100% confidence that the Titleist sets felt every bit as good (if not better) than my blade. They have a heavy, muted thump that was the very definition of solid & powerful. 

I hit the ball quite well and my numbers with the T100 matched my Srixon blade identically across the board: launch, spin, height, land angle, carry, etc. 

What shocked me most was that the T150 felt basically identical to the T100 although it did lack a bit in launch & spin on partial shots and draws. I would consider both the T100 and T150 to be elite-level in sound & feel. No downgrade at all (to my senses).

Everything you said I like to hear, except it is really surprises me that the spin numbers are the same. Do you have a really shallow angle of attack? My launch angle was a little different too, but my spin numbers were way different (comparison was z forged ii and p7tw). It certainly can happen I'm not throwing shade, it's just surprising how all the different elements come togeather. 

100% cool with everyone who loves the sound and feel or doesn't see any difference. We are all different! 

17 hours ago, Floyd12 said:

MP-20 to HMB is a very disjointed blend there. Mizuno says if you are using it with MP-20 you should be cutting at the 5 not the 7:

Play as a full set, long iron replacement or a mixed set with MP-20 muscle backs or MP-20 MMC. Our recommended breakpoints for blended sets are between 4&5 iron or 7&8 iron.

16 hours ago, Floyd12 said:

I have never tried the jpx tours, in no small part due to the same issue. What to do with 4i/5i? JPX forged has juiced lofts, so it's the same issue as t100 and t150.

I can certainly hit a 5i and 4i in a blade, but would just rather a little extra help because why not? I'm not flag hunting from 200+ out. 

Why not? Because you don't need it.

I had switched back to my Sub70s (659) for a week for my year end club championship just because i was comfortable with them under pressure. 

But man, hitting T150s on the range is just so pleasing. I hit them higher, longer, they are more enjoyable to hit. And the 659's are similar lofted this isn't a jacking thing. This is a bad*ss iron

I think i'm really gonna get along with these ....

It's funny after switching too, i was worried they might be too small.....after using them back to back with 659CB i think i could've easily gone T100

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique