Hozzle rockets. How to be less bad

Bocaji

Recently I suddenly forgot how to hit the golf ball. I know my head rotates with my shoulders and I think that is the main contributer.  I think I've always had my eyes come up in my swing and I'm tired of dealing with it so I was wondering if any one has had this issue and what it took to get rid of it? Like what drills you would do and how much time it took to get your head down through the shot. I also struggle with a really short backswing but whenever I try to lengthen it it gets real ugly.

I'm hovering the club as a drill as it apparently reduces tension in your arms. Believe me when I say that it was thr only way I could make contact with the ball. 

I really appreciate any insight!

Edited by Bocaji

Head down isnt the issue.  Looks like you're addressing the ball with the hosel to start and the ball is a bit too far back in your stance.  Not a lot of torso rotation in the DS  so that throws the club out towards the ball.  

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

18 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Head down isnt the issue.  Looks like you're addressing the ball with the hosel to start and the ball is a bit too far back in your stance.  Not a lot of torso rotation in the DS  so that throws the club out towards the ball.  

Maybe I'm looking at it but isn't my ball forward of Center in my stance?

What do you mean by torso not rotating? I'm looking at it and it looks like I'm rotating. Am I rotating my hips but not my torso? I never really thought about that.

Edited by Bocaji
Spelling

Ball is a hair forward of your sternum, not horrible but can go forward a smidge or two.

You are closed at impact and don't open up till your past impact.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

17 minutes ago, MPStrat said:

Trail hand grip is a little weak

Do you have a dtl? 

This is from a month ago. I was hitting driver pretty good this day. Drove the green on this one. But again my swing is so short, it can be a problem sometimes. Practice swing I may have a fuller turn

Overall, good motion. Need to see a down the line video.

I see shoulder rotation that is complete by p3...a bit early. You dump angles too early on the way down.

My guess is the backswing is just a bit inside/under the shaft plane and hands move toward the ball in transition too much. 

Just a guess tho without a better dtl video.

• Like 1

Here's what I see based on your two swing videos. In your back swing (DTL) your lead knee bends a bit too much and your lead hip moves too far into the ball. At the top your shoulders level out a bit. In transition, you want your shoulder plane to steepen, so in your downswing your shoulder plane is pointed closer to your toes than your back swing. Why? Because 1) ideally you want shaft lean at impact. Shaft lean reduces the radius between your sternum and the club head, so you need to be closer to the ball to make contact, and 2) steepening your shoulder plane shallows the club.

Now from the front view as you move into the downswing towards impact your positions look pretty good, but you don't have time to make up for the flattening of your shoulders. At the point in this image your shaft should be parallel with the ground, but it is 45* off. Your athletic brain took over and realized that you weren't going to reach the ball because you ran out of time, and you dumped the wrist angles.

Edit adding this - 100% correct.

1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

You dump angles too early on the way down.

Standing up is also a shallowing move. I'd need a better DTL video to know more, but this is what I see.

image.png.dfe70ea574a7c1629c0e9ba0fdb32c63.png

Edited by ShawLF
adding remarks from other poster

5 hours ago, Bocaji said:

Recently I suddenly forgot how to hit the golf ball. I know my head rotates with my shoulders and I think that is the main contributer.  I think I've always had my eyes come up in my swing and I'm tired of dealing with it so I was wondering if any one has had this issue and what it took to get rid of it? Like what drills you would do and how much time it took to get your head down through the shot. I also struggle with a really short backswing but whenever I try to lengthen it it gets real ugly.

I'm hovering the club as a drill as it apparently reduces tension in your arms. Believe me when I say that it was thr only way I could make contact with the ball. 

I really appreciate any insight!

I don't see noting wrong...you have a great swing motion. You are just lacking awareness of impact and where you are in relation to the ball an so the hosel is intersecting the ball instead of the club face.  No problem, just move to a different location and retest until you find strike as I'm certain that you aren't far off.  

Practice swings tell nothing.  Your head coming up is not the reason.

Your arms are late in the sequence and the club head is coming out early to avoid hitting it fat.  A down the line hitting a ball would tell us more.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

• Bocaji changed the title to Hozzle rockets. How to be less bad

I think i managed to neutralize whatever has been causing my hozzle shots but not consistently. First two videos contact is okay, wondering if I did something different here or u just managed to get away with it here. Last video speaks for itself 

You’re getting away with it.  These balls would have been fat as you’re coming way too far from the inside.

Your arms are sucking way inside and spinning your body harder and leaving arms father behind is long term making the issue worse.  

Arms need to work more vertically going back and need to start sooner coming down.

Slightly different camera angle but look how misaligned your hands and left arm are compared to hips and knees at same point in swing when hips and knees are square to feet.

IMG_0109.png

• Like 2

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

5 minutes ago, KD1 said:

@MonteScheinblum if he got his right hip back and around in the back swing would he have more room to work with? Also, he's flat footed until p9. Is he hitting it off his trail side?

Agree

BERTRAND RUSSELL

You have a good motion but you're jamming yourself up by being too close to the ball at address.

image.jpeg.7f138431edc0fb6dab12cdc784e5e126.jpeg

The right side needs to have room so it can swing under the left side between the left side and the ball.

So before you tie you and your brain up in knots with a bunch of extraneous band aids give yourself some room to hit the ball and go from there.  

To add some visuals to what Monte said above:

BocajiTakeaway.gif.d6513ab7a37834b3a3a4c604fc1787c7.gif

This is the "low and slow" move where I get to use my favorite Monte clip. The "lifting up" part later in the  clip isn't relevant to you here, but taking the club back shut, flat, and inside like this is a recipe for problems, especially with both your address position (a little cramped) and how you transition (arms get left further behind):

BocajiTrans.gif.7def2bf9adbd5f01e3e70586fd31fddf.gif

Your hands have already gotten into a position where they would need to work earlier and more horizontally to get them back in front of you, but you do the opposite here by leaving them up as you start turning early. This compounds the problem and gets you coming down both late sequence wise and far too inside path wise.

For some context, this overall swing looks like a reaction to some of your previous videos from 2021/2022 where your swing was longer and looser. Your grip is more neutralized from that time which is good, but you've swung to a bit of an opposite extreme with a super short, flat, and inside backswing that is creating these shanks. The hands need to work much more vertically which something like the Faldo Drill or other Preset Drills can be a good starting point for. Ideally this sorts out the inside/flat part and i'd like to see what happens from there before recommending anything else.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

9 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I get to use my favorite Monte clip

You’re dead. 😂

• Like 2

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

You’re getting away with it.  These balls would have been fat as you’re coming way too far from the inside.

Your arms are sucking way inside and spinning your body harder and leaving arms father behind is long term making the issue worse.  

Arms need to work more vertically going back and need to start sooner coming down.

Slightly different camera angle but look how misaligned your hands and left arm are compared to hips and knees at same point in swing when hips and knees are square to feet.

IMG_0109.png

So my understanding is arms getting sucked in is due to my setup (too close to ball) and my takeaway being too inside. So I should start with standing farther from the ball (arms hanging directly below shoulders?) And working on a preset drill to help get the club on plane, right? Will the preset drill help get me lengthen my swing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

There is a good chance your arms do what they do because you are holding the face shut.

I do feel as though that has something to do with my short swing rn. I feel like I'm trying to take a full swing with a pitch/chip motion (minimal wrist movement). I need to get out of that but I don't know exactly how. 

2 hours ago, KD1 said:

@MonteScheinblum if he got his right hip back and around in the back swing would he have more room to work with? Also, he's flat footed until p9. Is he hitting it off his trail side?

In the past I would straighten my right leg instead of turn but that was a no no according to who i was working with at the time. I don't think I'm straightening it anymore but am I still not turning going back? Not sure how I guess

1 hour ago, Bocaji said:

In the past I would straighten my right leg instead of turn but that was a no no according to who i was working with at the time. I don't think I'm straightening it anymore but am I still not turning going back? Not sure how I guess

You'll extend the trail leg but you don't want to lock the knee out.

Also, for what it's worth to you check out Athletic Motion Golf's YouTube video from earlier this year about distance from the ball. As far as I can tell your setup checks all of their boxes. I'm personally in no position to argue with anyone here about the golf swing but AMG is generally well respected around here and they provide another point of view.

• Like 2