If you could only ever hit one shot on EVERY shot: draw v fade FOREVER, which would you want?

Denny100

Hi Everyone

If you could only hit one type of shot forever, regardless of the situation, what would it be?

Id say all things being equal, DRAW is probably best as it would translate to lower spin rates off the driver and a more efficient delivery of the club. Id consider hitting driver well to be an absolute key to playing well so the "better" mechanics of the inside path should, theoretically, give more scoring opportunities.

Just wondered your thoughts? I know there is a lot of nuance to it, its not a simple question

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

My heart says a draw but my head says a fade. I caught the tail end of the persimmon driver/balata ball era, hitting a draw back then was certainly beneficial at that time distance wise. Being right eye dominant it's the shot I see nearly all the time, especially from the tee. 

But there is more of a chance of a 2 way miss for me playing a draw. My miss is nearly always right, I find the modern drivers really hard to draw so it takes the left side out of play nearly completely by playing a fade. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Contrary to popular belief, you can also hit fades with optimized spin rates on Driver.

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

4 minutes ago, Binson said:

Contrary to popular belief, you can also hit fades with optimized spin rates on Driver.

I think you CAN, it just takes very good mechanics to do it like you see at tour level

34 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

I think you CAN, it just takes very good mechanics to do it like you see at tour level

You don't need to be tour level, you just need to have the correct setup.

The whole "draw goes further than a fade" thing comes out of the fact that when you are hitting a draw you are, generally speaking, removing loft at impact whereas with a fade you are generally adding loft. If you play a fade and are your driver is optimized you can hit long, low spin fades.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

55 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

You need the appropriate club head delivery (at impact) to hit an optimized shot of any shape. It doesn't require tour level skill or speed to achieve.  

18 minutes ago, jvincent said:

The whole "draw goes further than a fade" thing comes out of the fact that when you are hitting a draw you are, generally speaking, removing loft at impact whereas with a fade you are generally adding loft. If you play a fade and are your driver is optimized you can hit long, low spin fades.

It's a matter of the appropriate Angle of Attack, Face to path,  and Dynamic loft for the speed you deliver. 

The wrong way to hit a fade with a driver if you want optimized numbers is to have a severely downward AoA with a face that is too open to the path.  This is a swing flaw most people have early on in their golfing careers.  Then to correct, they have to learn to hit a draw and because they've also improved their AoA and face to path, they get a huge jump in distance.  So, fades get a negative perception with the majority of golfers.   

The right way to hit an optimized fade with a driver is to have a neutral to positive AoA with a face that is only slightly open to path. And that is the same for a draw as well - only difference being the face slightly closed to path. 

Edited by Binson

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5H - Ping G425

8 minutes ago, Binson said:

You need the appropriate club head delivery (at impact) to hit an optimized shot of any shape. It doesn't require tour level skill or speed to achieve.  

It's a matter of the appropriate Angle of Attack, Face to path,  and Dynamic loft for the speed you deliver. 

The wrong way to hit a fade with a driver if you want optimized numbers is to have a severely downward AoA with a face that is too open to the path.  This is a swing flaw most people have early on in their golfing careers.  Then to correct, they have to learn to hit a draw and because they've also improved their AoA and face to path, they get a huge jump in distance.  So, fades get a negative perception with the majority of golfers.   

The right way to hit an optimized fade with a driver is to have a neutral to positive AoA with a face that is only slightly open to path. And that is the same for a draw as well - only difference being the face slightly closed to path. 

I spent a lot of time on this last offseason and it has been a dramatic improvement off the tee. I am about +5 AOA, which is easier with ball forward a bit playing a cut. I still have a 2-way miss, a squared up face/block and a face too open/wipey fade. I can align with the left side and if it holds its line and doesn't cut it's fine. If i get lazy and leave it too open I lose distance off to the right but playable. If I leave it just a degree or two open it cuts a little and rolls out like a draw. It's the optimal tee shot IMO. 

• Like 1

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

Bear in mind my question wasnt JUST about off the tee, but I feel like off the tee is such a key part of the game that optimising the strike from the tee is crucial.

There are other situations where the draw shape and the mechanics to hit it would be counter productive

3 minutes ago, Denny100 said:

Bear in mind my question wasnt JUST about off the tee, but I feel like off the tee is such a key part of the game that optimising the strike from the tee is crucial.

There are other situations where the draw shape and the mechanics to hit it would be counter productive

I still hit draws primarily with my irons unless I have to. I only switched to a fade with driver off tee. I both both with FW.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

Paradym ✦✦✦ 15˚ Kai'li White 80

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/Toulon San Diego Garage-Naked

Pro V1X 

Draw cause they are harder for me to do now and feel cool lol. I got 2 dog leg's left on my home course. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

If it's a shot shape that can never deviate, I'd pick like a 1 yard fade. So straight that it's barely perceivable.  If I could pick no draw or fade, I'd do that instead and be able to play some pretty dang good golf just being able to flight shots up and down. 

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5H - Ping G425

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

Im gonna back this one, join Team Fade.

When I started playing backend of covid, I was a slicer like most who start out. then I learned to hit it left, but more so a over the top pull. Was harder to be more consistent compared to a slicer. then I played a fade/slice miss again last year as a  mid double digit handicap, I hit the ball high and long, I averaged about 300 off the tee with good numbers on stealth driver, irons going further than ever, I knew my miss everytime, i compressed the ball, can hit it high, etc. I could hit my gap wedge lets around 140 for reference

my swing as I dropped to a single digit this year became a draw this year again, Off the tee im maxing 270, used to be best part of my game, now my worst. Can't compress the ball, super flat, stuck swing. Could hit my gap wedge 110 all out currently. My Mechanics and sequencing sucks. Taking this off season to go back to a steep fader. Swing speed has been the same from last year to this year all year round on monitors, so I know the numbers tell me im not creating good launch conditions. 

Someone who has began a swing from scratch recently continue to change, and ive experienced both shapes for a good amount of it. I don't see any reason to go away from a fade ever again.

5 minutes ago, SaVo_ said:

Someone who has began a swing from scratch recently continue to change, and ive experienced both shapes for a good amount of it. I don't see any reason to go away from a fade ever again.

I played a draw for a long time. My swing was super flat with all my clubs and as a result I was very inconsistent with my irons. I managed to get down to a pretty consistent 7-ish index thanks to a pretty good short game when I missed.

I made the change to be more upright, primarily to improve my iron play. After figuring out that I couldn't play my old draw with driver and my new swing path I switched to a fade and I'm now a "consistent" 5-ish index. For an old guy who doesn't practice I'm good with that. Driver is pretty rock solid now. Good shots are a tight, 5-yard fade that runs like crazy when it hits the ground.

Like most faders I struggle with a pull, mostly with my irons, from time to time.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

I played a draw for a long time. My swing was super flat with all my clubs and as a result I was very inconsistent with my irons. I managed to get down to a pretty consistent 7-ish index thanks to a pretty good short game when I missed.

I made the change to be more upright, primarily to improve my iron play. After figuring out that I couldn't play my old draw with driver and my new swing path I switched to a fade and I'm now a "consistent" 5-ish index. For an old guy who doesn't practice I'm good with that. Driver is pretty rock solid now. Good shots are a tight, 5-yard fade that runs like crazy when it hits the ground.

Like most faders I struggle with a pull, mostly with my irons, from time to time.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. I have been able to make jumps in my short game and that in part helps keep my scores lower. But like everyone else, you’re not gonna have it everytime you play, and those days my short game is lacking i have nothing to rely on, as I’m so inconsistent tee to green. My goal this winter is to get much more upright. I’m fortunate to be a tall golfer at 6’4. I’ve been told i swing like I’m 5’9. Can only imagine how much power im leaving on the table currently with my swing flaws. I guess playing a fade just helps me stay more in control of optimal launch conditions for my swing in a short time. Draw seems like i have to really force some things in my swing to make it work 

Easy, a 5-yard fade. 

I used to draw the ball at the last golf course I was a semi-private member at. But that's what a lot of the holes on that course called for. It was great when it worked, but when it turned into a hook it had the potential to get ugly, and fast. 

The course I'm currently a member at prefers a fade, so that's what my swing has evolved into. I'm finding it so much easier to control, even when my swing is off.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

For someone who struggles seeing the ball go right I want to say draw. In reality I should say tiny fade. I don’t want something I sim in the rough on the left side just to get it to land on the right side. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

i think one thing that influences my opinion is that its quite easy to get that 3-5 yard buttery fade flight

But achieving the same with the draw is tough.

A lot of people can hit the big slinger right to left if needed around a tree

But i feel the thing pros have in their advantage especially with irons is high ball speed, spin and peak height, so their "draw" has the same buttery look to it.... its never hooky

• Like 1

This probably an advance level answer or most do not think of in this way.

In terms of approach I like to play draws into them. My view is that if aiming at a target and correctly playing a draw you do not or really try not to have the draw pass your line. I much rather have it draw way short of line than to cross it. With that being said I like to be on the right side of the greens and with ~90% of all greens being back to front being a right handed golfers I will have mostly right to left putts which is the consensus of direction right handed golfers do better with including me. 

• Like 1

I like the look of a fade better. 🙂 And I also disagree that you need tour level mechanics to get great drives with a fade. Some of my best drives are fades.

But I'll accept the compliment that I have Pro Tour mechanics..... I mean, shoot.... that's a hell of a complement, even if it wasn't directed at anybody in particular. LOL 😄

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

12 hours ago, jvincent said:

Yes. Difference imo is a lot of golfers hit a fade with an out to in path. Creating loft and spin.

Where as good players hit a fade from an inside path. Which doesn't add loft and spin. That's my definition of the power fade.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like 1