2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Overcoming general fatigue for 64 year old

J295

Looking for unique processes to explore to improve my stamina as I am easily fatigued the past 10-15 years.   Some days great and others really dragging.  I’ve scaled back golf and exercise. 

64 year old that eats and sleeps well and has lifetime of athletics and fitness but frustrated I tire so easily.  6’4” 205lb non smoker non drinker.  Do two double espresso daily to help energy.  Nap most days.  

talked to doc numerous times and have good bloodwork and sleep test results.  No stress (retired 10 years). No med issues.  

Any ideas on processes I can explore to see if I’m stuck with this or can remedy?

edit to add:  I can conquer the world when I get up at 6 AM until about noon… Then it’s a struggle so add another espresso then ok … 

Edited by J295

It sure sounds like you have something that is not showing up in the standard labs.  Most doctors seem to say, “Your tests are fine, you’re okay.”  Look for a nurse practitioner (usually) that does functional medicine.  They look outside the normal box.  They might not take insurance, but what’s it worth to feel better?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

M4 Driver
5, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

You're getting old!!!  LOL  

Sleep study was my first thought, but it's good.  What kind of training, if any, do you do?  

I'm a few years older than you and training always wakes me up for the entire day if done on a good night's sleep.  

Late in the afternoon, instead of checking for light leaks, take a walk, pedal a bike, or go for a swim.

Nutrition?

• Thanks 1

If you're perfectly healthy, then it comes down to nutrition and sleep.  Make sure you get 7-9 hours of restful sleep every night.  Eat clean for most meals and really limit your sugar intake.  Eating too many carbs in general will make you feel sluggish throughout the day.  Also, eat more frequently but smaller meals throughout the day rather than eating huge meals less frequently as it will help keep your bgl more stable throughout the day. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Do you walk or ride when you play ? Weight of your iron shafts ? I play w a few 65-70yr olds that walk from 6000yrds 3-4 days a week w pushcart or electric pushcart , pretty cool inspirational stuff. If you always ride try walking 9 and riding 9 for a few weeks work on your golf stamina - get a chest X-ray , as the others mentioned full panel blood work ; torso CT scan. Quick story but no sympathy please retired FD also trained my entire life sports etc. No overindulging in my life - had Kidney stones ; had them Blasted out still felt lousy actually walked off the golf course a few times : insisted to my Urologist something is still wrong. He said I’m crazy I’m healthy fine strong yada yada -I insisted to more tests and they found a Kidney tumor size of a golfball. Be your own advocate. Recently had the RCC robotic partial nephrectomy and if I didn’t push it it may have been too late when they found it. 64 is young n strong 💪 keep grinding T

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

If you're perfectly healthy, then it comes down to nutrition and sleep.  Make sure you get 7-9 hours of restful sleep every night.  Eat clean for most meals and really limit your sugar intake.  Eating too many carbs in general will make you feel sluggish throughout the day.  Also, eat more frequently but smaller meals throughout the day rather than eating huge meals less frequently as it will help keep your bgl more stable throughout the day. 

I would say if he really wanted to dial it in get a CGM since it may or may not be carbs, or at least the amount of carbs. Heck, some fasting might help if had someone that could oversee it and make sure doing it correctly.

I would add to possibly up the protein too since older people don't metabolize it as well. Could lead to feeling worn down if not getting enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your adrenals are probably way over stressed from all the caffeine.  Not a good solution, because it will usually wreak havoc with quality sleep patterns....leading to a downhill spiral with general fatigue and loss of strength.

Daily caffeine always comes with some sort of health cost.  Depending on exactly how much you're taking in...and at what times of the day, the negative effects can vary for each individual.

• Thanks 1

Just now, lilcaeser said:

Oh also get your testosterone level checked -there are natural and synthetic remedies 💪💪💪

Good post.  I'm 43 and on doc prescribed HRT because of some of my choices I made when I was younger.  Having low test levels really sucks and can definitely affect energy/stamina levels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, E2EGOLFER53 said:

Have your thyroid levels tested the TSH, T3 and T4.  https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/glands/underactive-thyroid/

This 100%

Not all doctors check this. If you have a deficient (under active) thyroid you will be tired like you can barely stay awake. 

Edited by PJE
  • Thanks 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

I'm no doctor so I won't discuss anything medical.  But normally getting tired during the round when you get older is to do with lack of aerobic training and or not hitting the gym to gain muscle back.  There may be lack of flexibility.  But I notice most of the guys I play with that give in with four or five holes to go have no aerobic background to hold it together for 18 holes.

I also take into account things like avoiding heavy training the day prior to my golf round; good sleeping is key for physical recovery even though it sounds obvious.  I've just started to change some of my daily habits to keep on playing competitively for as long as I can.  

If you're healthy you should revise your physical training more than anything.  It's like golf: if you want to play well own a good swing first. If you don't, discussing shafts and balls and driver specs is kind of useless.  

• Thanks 1

I can certainly attest the multitude of health issues associated with low testosterone. 

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in January 2023 due to my PSA numbers going up several points in just a few months and the MRI showing a small mass.  My doctor discussed my options for treatment and we concluded that a radical prostatectomy was the best option for me.

Then being the idiot I've been accused of being more than once, I asked if there was a way to put off the surgery until after the U.S. Senior Am qualifier in July.  He said no problem. We caught it very early.  DNA testing showed it was a slow growing variant and a hormone shot would take my PSA numbers to zero and keep the cancer from growing any further.  OK.....good to go.

Well let me assure you.....when your testosterone drops to near zero, your life changes drastically.  Always tired. Can't sleep. Weight gain.  Worst of all, over all weakness.  I lost 10 mph of club head speed and no matter how hard I worked, it would not come back.  I hit nothing but poof balls with no compression and almost no ability to flight the ball.  I tried everything to try and get ready to play in July but it was so bad I finally had to admit defeat and withdraw. 

Good news is I'm cancer free and recovering fine.  My testosterone levels are creeping back up and I'm in the gym trying to get my speed back up and training with some of the Mach 3 speed equipment.  But the best news I've gotten from my doctor is that if my PSA numbers remain at undectable at my next appointment in November, he's prescribing testosterone shots to get me fully back. 

I'm am literally thrilled with the idea of feeling like my old self.  This low testosterone stuff is no joke.  To anyone thinking they might have low T, get it checked.  It can make a world of difference in how you feel.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got get your second opinion from another doctor. 🙂

Caffeine is great for alertness, but it can come at a cost and if this has been a life long thing then you could be simply suffering from body chemistry and function disrupted by excessive caffeine intake which would make you feel tired as soon as the caffeine is metabolized. So consider giving it up, and give it two weeks to judge because it can take that long to adjust. Your doctor would notice low testosterone on a blood panel, and so if it is low and he's ignoring it that is what the second opinion is for.

There are so many things that cause general fatigue, and the internet (us) are going to suggest possible problems like Thyroid Disease, Low Testosterone as caused by a real condition, or other variants of potentially serious issues that you needn't clog up your headspace with.

Symptom checking had me thinking I had a terminal illness years ago; I didn't. I did have cancer, and lost my right nut to it, but I don't need or want supplement as neither my Urologist at the time nor my primary care doctor consider(ed) it necessary. The risks involved can also cause other medical conditions a 64 year old would like to avoid if the risk isn't justified.

I've seen my blood tests in the past and they do a full spectrum so any hormone or body produced chemical (or synthetically produced and ingested chemicals) will show up on those tests. If any of yours were off, I would think your P.C. would have told you. They'd be incompetent if they did not.

So go talk to a different doctor and leave the testing/diagnosing to them rather than GolfWRX. 😄

Edited by Mikey_HACKilroy
  • Thanks 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

My advice would be to see a cardiologist and get a full workup done including a stress test. 

Also, make sure you're hydrating properly daily.

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

4 hours ago, Nickb333 said:

Creatine. 

I’ll expand on that one word answer, since I had a blood test for that today. The blood test is to check kidney function and results are affected by muscle mass. Level out of range is associated with fatigue.  

I’m not sure if Nick is suggesting getting a blood test, or taking a supplement.  (how would we know?).  

If it’s about the supplement here’s an article, however I’m not suggesting taking this or any supplement without reviewing with a Dr. first.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-creatine/art-20347591

Hope my multiple word answer is helpful.  😉

• Thanks 1

Ya, I’m sorry for the brevity. There was already a lot of good advice posted.

I didn’t think creatine was controversial based on the reading I’ve done. There doesn’t seem to be any undesirable side affects. And it seems to help a lot with recovery from workouts. (Yes, golf at 64 is a workout) Creatine is also credited with an increase in mental acuity. So it’s not just for athletes. 

Of course, do your own research. Creatine has definitely helped me. At 64 I was feeling some of the same fatigue op mentioned. Hydration was a factor, but Creatine helped the most. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2023 at 7:40 AM, naval2006 said:

I'm no doctor so I won't discuss anything medical.  But normally getting tired during the round when you get older is to do with lack of aerobic training and or not hitting the gym to gain muscle back.  There may be lack of flexibility.  But I notice most of the guys I play with that give in with four or five holes to go have no aerobic background to hold it together for 18 holes.

I also take into account things like avoiding heavy training the day prior to my golf round; good sleeping is key for physical recovery even though it sounds obvious.  I've just started to change some of my daily habits to keep on playing competitively for as long as I can.  

If you're healthy you should revise your physical training more than anything.  It's like golf: if you want to play well own a good swing first. If you don't, discussing shafts and balls and driver specs is kind of useless.  

Just returning to report that I did modify my training and it has made a huge positive impact.  

• Like 4

I found it helped to get a lightweight bag and pushcart instead of trying to carry a bag as I'm very small.

I can push/pull 25 pounds around hilly executive golf course twice for 18 holes in 40 degree weather!

I get physical activity by gardening almost every day.  The hardest stuff I do is cutting up trees with a hand saw.

• Thanks 1