2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Spider Tour X Proto

R5Two

16 minutes ago, toastinato said:

Yes, that is what I meant. Obviously I know the face milling can't be added. But I figured custom building a spider with a different face seems to make a bit more sense than purchasing a putter that is out of stock and being sold for $800+. So I'm not quite sure where that "not an abundance of savings" came from. Is there somewhere special you can purchase these still for that price? I said "pretty much build one" because I am fully aware that it isn't exact. 

I'm talking strictly about the retail price.  You never once mentioned secondary market prices when you were referring to the Proto. So no, $420 versus $500 isn't an abundance of savings. Of course $420 is is much cheaper than $800. But if somebody pays that much for one of these, they're really dumb or they have lots of disposable income and have their heart set on a milled version. Those folks have no interest in a cheaper version with an insert anyway. But those were kneejerk prices that we always see on releases like this anyway. It's not like these were some rare Scotty release that sold out in seconds. They were available for an entire day. There are many of these being listed now at $700 that aren't selling, and will not sell at that price. There's one right now on eBay for $550. So get out of here with that $800 nonsense. 

UPDATE: There's one on the BST right now that's been up for 12 hours for $525. So no, nobody is being required to pay $800 for these.

Edited by coreyhr

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 19° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 23° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM/TS4 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

18 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

I'm talking strictly about the retail price.  You never once mentioned secondary market prices when you were referring to the Proto. So no, $420 versus $500 isn't an abundance of savings. Of course $420 is is much cheaper than $800. But if somebody pays that much for one of these, they're really dumb or they have lots of disposable income and have their heart set on a milled version. Those folks have no interest in a cheaper version with an insert anyway. But those were kneejerk prices that we always see on releases like this anyway. It's not like these were some rare Scotty release that sold out in seconds. They were available for an entire day. There are many of these being listed now at $700 that aren't selling, and will not sell at that price. There's one right now on eBay for $550. So get out of here with that $800 nonsense. 

UPDATE: There's one on the BST right now that's been up for 12 hours for $525. So no, nobody is being required to pay $800 for these.

My sincere apologies, Corey. I wasn't up to date on pricing. I checked eBay briefly and saw pricing in the range I mentioned and was wondering that for myself. I was truly unaware of the differences in the mycustom version versus the Proto release, besides the face milling. I haven't followed pricing enough to know that last night they dropped massively. So when I see a $420 putter online that LOOKS the same as one that is sold out and on eBay for $950, I figured I'd ask that question. My bad for the misunderstanding. 

9 minutes ago, SaVo_ said:

just got my putter back from re-shafting and just realized typical torque wrench is too big to take these weights out 😑

can anyone point me to a place I can buy the wrench needed to unscrew these weights?

thanks

Your best bet is to buy a Torx set, but I believe Taylormade uses T20 size Torx bits. I think that's what I used for the rear weight on a Stealth head. I'm not sure if the Spider bottom weights are the same as that, but something similar to this set will have what you need. This is what I bought for the Stealth rear weights. Does the hole on the weight have a thin post in the middle of it?

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97471.html

Edited by coreyhr
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

Your best bet is to buy a Torx set, but I believe Taylormade uses T20 size Torx bits. I think that's what I used for the rear weight on a Stealth head. I'm not sure if the Spider bottom weights are the same as that, but something similar to this set will have what you need. This is what I bought for the Stealth rear weights. Does the hole on the weight have a thin post in the middle of it?

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-pc-star-tamper-proof-key-set-97471.html

Thanks Corey I appreciate it. This should work as the weights I ordered for my spider are labeled as stealth weights, but they are the closest I've seen to the new spider weights. It does not have any thin post in the middle.

5 minutes ago, SaVo_ said:

Thanks Corey I appreciate it. This should work as the weights I ordered for my spider are labeled as stealth weights, but they are the closest I've seen to the new spider weights. It does not have any thin post in the middle.

Ok. That Torx set I linked will definitely work. Not sure if you have a Harbor Freight nearby, but most likely any T20 bit will work since it doesn't have that little post in the middle. The stealth rear weights, along with other previous Taylormade weights, many times have a little stem in the middle of the weight. So you have to make sure you buy a Torx bit that has the hole cutout in the tip and doesn't have a solid tip. 

Man, I am so glad I bought this putter.  Messed around with it again today at the course and boy does it feel so darn good.  I’m going to extend it and put it up against the rest of my CB putters this offseason.  I’d like to find a heavier shaft since it’s going to be extended to 38 inches.  It will be a fun little project…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Man, I am so glad I bought this putter.  Messed around with it again today at the course and boy does it feel so darn good.  I’m going to extend it and put it up against the rest of my CB putters this offseason.  I’d like to find a heavier shaft since it’s going to be extended to 38 inches.  It will be a fun little project…

Mine will be here Thursday. I’m excited to size it up against my Odyssey AI Milled 3t, which is showing a lot of promise for me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, coreyhr said:

Mine will be here Thursday. I’m excited to size it up against my Odyssey AI Milled 3t, which is showing a lot of promise for me. 

I haven’t messed around with the Odyssey AI milled yet, I’m afraid to. I have a feeling I’d fall

in love with it too.  I think you’ll really like this Spider milled.  It grows on me more each day.  

12 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Let us know if those weights work when you get them.  I need to order some for my new experiment now😂

I tried the weights i ordered off amazon, they fit into the spider, but i have to use the screw that came with the putter, as the aftermarket one is much longer and doesn't secure the weight as good.

11g weights were the stock in mine, probably gonna go either 2,4, or 6 gram in it. Play 2g in my old spider. at 37 inches with a pro cord grip 

if anyone would like a link I can post in here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SaVo_ said:

this may be a dumb question, but are these weights supposed to click in when they're secure like a normal torx wrench does with weights on driver and such?

Like Scotty_2987 said, it's the wrench that clicks when removing/tightening driver heads. So you won't get that with a Torx bit. Just get it nice and snug, it won't come out. Don't won't to overtighten and strip the weight. If you're concerned and feel confident with that weight, can always add some Loctite to the threads. That will definitely secure it, but isn't necessary. If you do go that route though, they can still be removed later with a little bit of heat applied. 

• Thanks 1

Delivered yesterday, took it over to the course today & spent :30 on the practice green by myself.  I LOVE the look at set up and the feel.  I’m use to a large matador grip and Pistol GT 1.0 feels small.

I hit some nice putts and missed some head scratchers, which isn’t surprising.  I’m bagging it on Friday afternoon without changing the grip.  Will be a little better idea when I’m really looking at the green, clearing junk and in a nutshell, it counts.  If the look at set up and feel still float my boat, but grip still feels small, will switch that out and go from there.  My initial run was positive.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, bambooluv said:

OK, first roll (on indoor mat) impressions. This will come to retail in a non-limited release. calling it!

Quick background. I've been an Anser2/NWPT2 head user for as long as I can remeber. As a nut, I will always try anything that catches my eyes. The Spider-mini has always been one I liked but the feel and or make up (tech and whatso have you) has made it less desirable for me.

Have always been drawn to a milled putter, and I almost backed out of this order after learning that it was only face milled and that the entire body/neck was not a one piece mill. This was the best opportunity for me to try a blade/mallet and decided to go forward getting it properly shafted and built to my desired length to start testing her in rounds. 

Upon recieving it, looks killer in hand compared to some of the other early pics, (praying that it's finish holds up over time TM has a poor track record in my opinion in this department in the past.) Got up to my buds shop at Impact Precision Golf and before yanking the shaft, rolled it a few times and right away knew that we were cooking with fire, the shallow milled face feels great, (very close in feel to my PLD-custom w shallow mill!) My bud was quick to drop in the new Accra Sync shaft and threw in my trusty P58 grip to cap her off. Went to the practice mat and proceeded to drop the balls like it was ment to be!

Had to get back to work, otherwise would of spent more time on the Mitchell getting it speced out more so. You guys will love it!

Long story short...

• Great look at adress for those that are used to a blade style with plumbers neck.
  • Easy to align up the ball with the True-Path tech.
  • Balance back and through has the standard Spider performance that has made it so popular in the industry.

20231111_120619.jpg

20231111_120510.jpg

20231111_120449.jpg

20231111_120415.jpg

20231111_115800.jpg

20231111_112231.jpg

20231111_112502.jpg

I think this putter might be a winner for me.  Only problem for me is that it's a little bit too short.  I'm going to throw a KBS Graphite Shaft in it and see how it does.  I took it out today and didn't miss anything within 6 feet, rolls the ball great and definitely like the milled face versus the insert.  I guess I'm one of those guys that haven't gotten along with the spider inserts.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 - 9* Ventus Black 7x
Taylormade Qi10 - 15* Ventus Black 8X
Srixon ZX Utility MKII Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X Hybrid
PING Blueprint S- 4-PW DG Tour Issue X100 
Titleist Vokey SM9 - 56.14F & 60.10K (LB) Wedgeworks DG TI S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X SS Proto 35.5"

Titleist Pro V1

16 minutes ago, nels said:

I think this putter might be a winner for me.  Only problem for me is that it's a little bit too short.  I'm going to throw a KBS Graphite Shaft in it and see how it does.  I took it out today and didn't miss anything within 6 feet, rolls the ball great and definitely like the milled face versus the insert.  I guess I'm one of those guys that haven't gotten along with the spider inserts.

It’s definitely a winner, that’s for sure!  It’s way too short me for me as well.  I may try to find an old tank shaft and see how that would work.  Still trying to figure out how I could possibly make this one work in the offseason. 

Edited by TheMoneyShot
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 9:16 PM, TheMoneyShot said:

I haven’t messed around with the Odyssey AI milled yet, I’m afraid to. I have a feeling I’d fall

in love with it too.  I think you’ll really like this Spider milled.  It grows on me more each day.  

Mine gets here tomorrow! I hated the new AI stuff just preference nothing wrong with it just not for me in the feel/sound department. I hated the non milled a little less than the milled 

• Like 2

Well I was very surprised today! I carpet rolled the outter in my room and I liked it but I was surprised at the feel. I have kind of gotten used to the insert in my slant neck so I felt the milled face felt very firm. 

I know of had a weird expectation that I was getting a Scotty Cameron in a Spider package, but it isn't quite the same. 

I will say it sets up beautifly. Look is 10/10 the feel just wasn't quite there for me. I actually preferred the Tour Z I have! However my buddy absolutely loved it. He gets his tomorrow so I let him practice woth mine and he was hooked. 

Great experiment, but just not for me! Had fun though and again I love the setup and alignment. I will be throwing it on BST when my old ad closes, have it in the FB groups now of anyone needs to try it! 

• Like 2

Mine arrived today and I’ve been rolling it on the putting mat. There’s not a putter that is easier to align or set up than a Spider plumbers neck. I had forgotten how well they set up. There’s no fidgeting with it to get it aligned. Just set it down and it’s perfectly aligned. I haven’t taken the plastic off yet but I like the firmer milled feel. So much better than the insert. The Ai-Milled 3t I just got is definitely considerably softer than the Spider milled. But I’m going to take them out to the course tomorrow and see if that opinion changes. I was pulling the Spider a bit at first but seem to have corrected that. I’m impressed with everything about it so far. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, E.J. said:

Played 9 with it today.  Really putt well, 16 total putts, but the big win was I hit the ball where I wanted to and my speed was good.  No 3 putts and don’t think I had anything over 2’ on my 2nds.  
It’s half a round, but I really like it so far.  

It’s definitely a great stick👍

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:56 PM, R5Two said:

Well I was very surprised today! I carpet rolled the outter in my room and I liked it but I was surprised at the feel. I have kind of gotten used to the insert in my slant neck so I felt the milled face felt very firm. 

I know of had a weird expectation that I was getting a Scotty Cameron in a Spider package, but it isn't quite the same. 

I will say it sets up beautifly. Look is 10/10 the feel just wasn't quite there for me. I actually preferred the Tour Z I have! However my buddy absolutely loved it. He gets his tomorrow so I let him practice woth mine and he was hooked. 

Great experiment, but just not for me! Had fun though and again I love the setup and alignment. I will be throwing it on BST when my old ad closes, have it in the FB groups now of anyone needs to try it! 

Interested in the Spider if it’s still available 

Ping G430 Max

Taylormade Stealth2 4 Wood

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood

Irons TBD

Raw Vokey SM9's 

Spider X Proto