2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Vessel, Ghost, Jones

Phebus

Vessels are great bags - wish they had a better top layout 

Ghosts are rebranded vessels - the 7 way top is the best option out right now in my opinion.  

Jones shoulder straps are garbage.  Great layout for clubs… stupid 6 pack cooler pocket. 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

15 hours ago, Phabs said:

Jones shoulder straps are garbage.  Great layout for clubs… stupid 6 pack cooler pocket. 

Oh man I bought one a few years ago locally cause it was cheap, spent like 2 hours in my backyard trying to set it up and couldn't get the straps in a comfortable spot. It's now just holding extra clubs until I upgrade my current bag and that moves to spill over. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MattM97 said:

Oh man I bought one a few years ago locally cause it was cheap, spent like 2 hours in my backyard trying to set it up and couldn't get the straps in a comfortable spot. It's now just holding extra clubs until I upgrade my current bag and that moves to spill over. 

Yep I spent legitimately an entire month in my backyard trying to figure out how to make them sit comfortable and level - finally said screw it and sold the bag.   You shouldn't have to remove straps from the bag and reverse them , buy extra parts or have a masters degree to get a golf bag strap set up.   I love the top layout, hate the stupid bro cooler pocket and absolutely despise the shoulder straps.   

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

never understood the hate for the jones shoulder straps, they're basically the same setup as the hoofer straps in the 90s and early 00s before backpack setups became the norm. i've been using my original trouper since 2019 both carrying and on a push cart without any issues, but i agree, the large cooler pocket is so stupid to me that i'll be looking at another brand for my next bag.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1k Black 7x 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* Tensei 1k Black 7x 42.5"

Cobra F6 Baffler 19.5* Diamana Blueboard 8x 41.25"

Titleist U505 4i Tensei 1k Black 8x

Titleist T100 5i-9i Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 46F/50F/54F/60M Project x 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

9 minutes ago, a_gorilla said:

never understood the hate for the jones shoulder straps, they're basically the same setup as the hoofer straps in the 90s and early 00s before backpack setups became the norm. i've been using my original trouper since 2019 both carrying and on a push cart without any issues, but i agree, the large cooler pocket is so stupid to me that i'll be looking at another brand for my next bag.

If it wasn't for that cooler pocket I would most likely have bought one.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:26 PM, Phebus said:

Vessel, Ghost, and Jones, all three are having good Black Friday sales right now and I need a new bag. Of the three, what company makes the most tangle free bag that’s good on a push cart?  It’s for a full 14 club bag with midsize grips. 

Have a Ghost.  Very happy with it.

Similar to Vessel.  The advantage to ghost is the seven way top.

The advantage to Vessel is the full length side pocket on the right.

Other than that, it's the colorways and the branding.  Can't go wrong with either.

2 hours ago, klbcec said:

Have a Ghost.  Very happy with it.

Similar to Vessel.  The advantage to ghost is the seven way top.

The advantage to Vessel is the full length side pocket on the right.

Other than that, it's the colorways and the branding.  Can't go wrong with either.

Which one do you have from Ghost?   My only turn off is the overbranding... i'd take all the rad flight tags off and flip the straps so the ghost logo is hidden.    That possible with their straps or is one side a fabric and the embroidered side leather? 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

On 11/14/2023 at 5:08 PM, Phabs said:

Not a fan of the double straps, but a big fan of their single straps on their carry bag.  I've actually had a single strap on their utility stand bag and loved it.

the cooler pocket?  it's also very meeeehhhh lol

18 hours ago, islesmb said:

If it wasn't for that cooler pocket I would most likely have bought one.

I've never had an issue with the straps either. They work just fine. I agree about the cooler pocket though. I thought I'd like it, but its positioning is very annoying and detracts from the functionality of the bag. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

I've never had an issue with the straps either. They work just fine. I agree about the cooler pocket though. I thought I'd like it, but its positioning is very annoying and detracts from the functionality of the bag. 

I have Jones Trouper, the shoulder straps are just ok. Single is actually better and fine with a push cart. I could live without the cooler bag in front. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.0 Driver Black Ventus Velocore Shaft 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood GD Tour AD DI-7

Ping iCrossover GD Tour AD 9x
Srixon ZX7/DG AMT White 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM9 50,54,58
LAB Golf DF 2.1 Broomstick
Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

Podcasts: The Par Train

13 hours ago, Phabs said:

Which one do you have from Ghost?   My only turn off is the overbranding... i'd take all the rad flight tags off and flip the straps so the ghost logo is hidden.    That possible with their straps or is one side a fabric and the embroidered side leather? 

I have the all black stand bag - Anyday Katana.

As for the red zipper pulls, they send you black pulls you can switch out. You cannot flip the strap.  It's microfiber of some sort on the underside. But with the Katana, that isn't all that noticeable.  See below.  I had the ball pocket cover done after this, will post a pic later.

Here is a pic.  Obviously, you can remove the red and black name plate thing.  And you can change to zipper pulls.

20230812_171632.jpg.dee02c04bd75c7e2a7e389eaba96ca7f.jpg

20230812_171614.jpg.ebd09803a85804774b31d41acc309529.jpg

20230812_171601.jpg.ac56d588c37635af941c8556452b30e5.jpg

• Like 3

Had the original Vessel Players III 14 way top on a SunMountain pathfinder 4 wheel push cart - Loved the combo and look of the bag, but the interior liners for the club dividers frayed and started to tear in about 2 months. Vessel replaced it with another 14 way top for me. Took it to Bethpage Black and had a caddie for the day - he ended up carrying my 3 wedges in his hands because the liner kept catching the grips and they were getting stuck. Grips are regular size Lamkin Sonar wraps, so not oversized at all, but quite grippy. Once again, Vessel replaced the bag, but with 6 way top this time. It still sits in my garage, brand new, in a box, unused.

Vessel customer service was fantastic to work with at the time. Not sure if they have changed anything with the 14 way top on the new Players 4 edition.

Edited by Chirodad

6 hours ago, klbcec said:

As for the red zipper pulls, they send you black pulls you can switch out. You cannot flip the strap.  It's microfiber of some sort on the underside. But with the Katana, that isn't all that noticeable.  See below.  I had the ball pocket cover done after this, will post a pic later.

Here is a pic.  Obviously, you can remove the red and black name plate thing.  And you can change to zipper pulls.

Any tangle with the top lay out ?    That's the 7 way right? 

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

9 hours ago, klbcec said:

That's a nice looking bag.

What do you like/not like about it? 

Edited by MMB1500

3 hours ago, Chirodad said:

Had the original Vessel Players III 14 way top on a SunMountain pathfinder 4 wheel push cart - Loved the combo and look of the bag, but the interior liners for the club dividers frayed and started to tear in about 2 months. Vessel replaced it with another 14 way top for me. Took it to Bethpage Black and had a caddie for the day - he ended up carrying my 3 wedges in his hands because the liner kept catching the grips and they were getting stuck. Grips are regular size Lamkin Sonar wraps, so not oversized at all, but quite grippy. Once again, Vessel replaced the bag, but with 6 way top this time. It still sits in my garage, brand new, in a box, unused.

Vessel customer service was fantastic to work with at the time. Not sure if they have changed anything with the 14 way top on the new Players 4 edition.

I currently have a Vessel VLS and have the same problem with the divider liners fraying.  It hasn't created any large issues, but something to note for others that it may not be an isolated issue.  It is currently the reason keeping me from upgrading to the Player IV.

Edited by statorator

17 hours ago, Phabs said:

Any tangle with the top lay out ?    That's the 7 way right? 

I organize the bag as follows:

Putter w oversize Winn grip and driver in the top well.  2 Hybrids and FW wood the next level slots, 567 and 89pw, in the next level and 3 wedges in the bottom level.

This minimizes any tangle.  I've had tour bags, cart bags with 14 way tops.  Those have the least amount of tangle.  I've also had numerous stand bags including Ogio, Sun Mountain, Titleist and Ping.  All have had more tangle than tour or cart bags.

The Ghost is a stand bad and the top is 9x11 inches.  I prefer it to every other stand bag top except the Ogio Woode top I had back in the day. But the look of Ogio bags has really dropped off in the last ten years, so I haven't purchased one.

Reader's Digest version:  I have no issues with the top and tangle.  It's better than any stand bag top I have used except Ogio Woode.

17 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

That's a nice looking bag.

What do you like/not like about it? 

Like the look, the materials, the single strap option.  That's why I bought it.  Also, it's something different.

The water bottle pockets are easy to use and everything is accessible.

Don't like:  wish the right side pocket was full length. Wish they made the zipper pulls in different color options instead of just black or red, so it can be customized.  Also, I would include a magnetic area near the top that you can stick a magnetic rangefinder on.  

My two cents.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, klbcec said:

Nice looking bag!

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

I have a Jones Trouper R and find it really comfortable to carry. No complaints about the straps. It's a lot lighter than the Vessel or Ghost bags (5 vs 6.5 pounds). It just kinda sucks for my electric cart though and always twists, but I primarily carry so not a huge deal. I'd much rather have a lighter bag for carrying and deal with it on the cart when needed. But, if I didn't carry, getting one of the Vessel bags would be no brainer. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

10 hours ago, Phebus said:

Well after looking at a Vessel bag and a Ghost I saw a Sun Mountain Midstripe bag and actually liked it the best. 

I had a sun mountain 2.5 carry but like the jones trouper better. I appreciate the extra slot to place either your driver or putter 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1
Bag Jones Trouper R

On 11/16/2023 at 10:31 AM, klbcec said:

Do the Ghost bags have a magnet on there somewhere for attaching their magnetic towels?

I just ordered a couple towels during the sale and that feature might be a tiebreaker for me when deciding between bag brands down the line.

I cannot comment on the other 2, but recently purchased a Vessel XV and my initial 3 outings I had no tangle issues w/ MCC +4 Midsize grips.  I carry a full 14, for whatever that’s worth.

It’s early, but I was just thinking this morning how much I like it.  I’m coming from a BigMax bag, which I really liked, but having a couple magnetic pockets and the cart strap going under the top one is something I never knew I needed.

3 hours ago, 1puttTUT said:

Do the Ghost bags have a magnet on there somewhere for attaching their magnetic towels?

I just ordered a couple towels during the sale and that feature might be a tiebreaker for me when deciding between bag brands down the line.

You would think they would, right? But no. They don't.  It her has the only magnetic bat.

• Like 1

I just placed an order for the Vessel Players IV Pro with the 20% discount.  It doesn't make me feel good that I immediately got an email to purchase "protection" for $47.  If I am paying this much for a bag, you better fix it for free if there is an issue.

• Like 2

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Jones Trouper 2 owner of one year.  Big fan of the bag and would buy it again. The straps are not an issue and I like the ease of carrying with one strap for short walks. The cooler pocket has been used as my golf ball compartment and works great.  Overall assessment: excellent, well made golf bag for walking, riding, or in a push cart.  

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV