2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What's your low HI and what would it be if every aspect of your historic game peaked together?

nosedive32

Current 7.7

Low 6.4

When I peaked my driving was the best it had ever been. Bad drives were 240+ in play. Average drives were 260+. Routinely hit at least 1-2 280-300 range a round and almost never hit it out of play. Now I'm about 20 yards short of those distances and not as straight but still usually in play.

Long approach play - it's been many years but there was a time when I was probably close to 50% to hit a green from 175-225. When my HI peaked I was probably around 30%. Right now it's probably 10-15%. 

125-175

At my best I was probably 60-75% to hit a green from this range. When my HI index peaked I was probably only around 50-60%. Currently I'm probably around 30-40%.

Inside 125

At my best I almost never missed greens from inside 125. I'd conservatively say I'd miss 1 in 10. When my HI peaked I was probably missing 2 or 3 out of 10. Right now I might miss 3 or 4 out of 10 from inconsistent distance control and strike. Proximity to the hole scales with the number of misses.

Short game

At it's best I'd say I was probably 75+% to make a generic up and down. When my index peak it was down closer to 50-60%.

Right now I'm probably around 40-50%.

Putting

I'm currently prone to poor distance control and short misses and can Routinely find 2 or 3 three putts in a round I shouldn't. Also not making a ton of mid range putts.

At my best I tracked strokes gained putting regularly and my averages were about dead on scratch. 4 out of 5 rounds I'd gain on scratch and be around tour average or even plus and then the bad round would offset the gains.

All together I'd say if all the different parts of my game just clicked together and matched the level they had all been consistently at the best for a period of a few months I could easily get down to scratch golf.

AI Smoke Max 9 Tensei Blue 65S

2023 BRNR 11.5 Proforce M40X 65S

2024 Apex UW 19 MMT 70S

2024 Apex Pro 4-PW DG Mid 115 S300

RTX Full Face 54 60, Full Face 2 64 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

LAB DF3 34 69 Press Pistol 2

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, nosedive32 said:

Current 7.7

Low 6.4

When I peaked my driving was the best it had ever been. Bad drives were 240+ in play. Average drives were 260+. Routinely hit at least 1-2 280-300 range a round and almost never hit it out of play. Now I'm about 20 yards short of those distances and not as straight but still usually in play.

Long approach play - it's been many years but there was a time when I was probably close to 50% to hit a green from 175-225. When my HI peaked I was probably around 30%. Right now it's probably 10-15%. 

125-175

At my best I was probably 60-75% to hit a green from this range. When my HI index peaked I was probably only around 50-60%. Currently I'm probably around 30-40%.

Inside 125

At my best I almost never missed greens from inside 125. I'd conservatively say I'd miss 1 in 10. When my HI peaked I was probably missing 2 or 3 out of 10. Right now I might miss 3 or 4 out of 10 from inconsistent distance control and strike. Proximity to the hole scales with the number of misses.

Short game

At it's best I'd say I was probably 75+% to make a generic up and down. When my index peak it was down closer to 50-60%.

Right now I'm probably around 40-50%.

Putting

I'm currently prone to poor distance control and short misses and can Routinely find 2 or 3 three putts in a round I shouldn't. Also not making a ton of mid range putts.

At my best I tracked strokes gained putting regularly and my averages were about dead on scratch. 4 out of 5 rounds I'd gain on scratch and be around tour average or even plus and then the bad round would offset the gains.

All together I'd say if all the different parts of my game just clicked together and matched the level they had all been consistently at the best for a period of a few months I could easily get down to scratch golf.

My best of all came over a two round period in 2011.  I shot -6 and -4 back to back.  The 6 under round was as close to perfection as I have been capable of.  all 13 fairways and all 18 greens.  Made 6 putts.  and two putted the others. 

Very interesting topic. Lowest index ever was 1.8 when I was between marriages and playing a lot. My course management is way better now, but I also have lost speed so current is 4.1. I think if I could travel back in time and just overlay my current course management over my skill set and 20 yr younger body, I could be close to scratch. I have never been a good enough iron player to get into the plus range. 

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 Ventus Black TR 6S

Ping G430 3w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Ping G430 7w Ventus Blue TR 7S

Titleist 510 utility 4 iron HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist T150 5-PW, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 48F, 54D, 58T
Scotty Cameron Phantom '24 7

Ball ProV1x

Lowest: 3.9

Current: 4.2

When I got to my lowest I was on a good (for me) iron streak. My approach play is generally my weakest point. I miss more greens than I should for a player of my index. Thankfully my short game is good enough to recover most days.

If I get a day where the irons are on, I'll scare par.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Low:  3.1 (2 weeks ago)

Current: 3.9

My all-time low index includes my all-time low round of 71.  The iron game was absolutely money.  It was the most effortless round I have ever played.  The 71 could have been 66 if the putts dropped.  I had 9 other birdie looks from inside 20 ft.  The round was 2 birdies, 1 bogey, and 15 tap in pars.  

If every round was like that I would be a +2.   However I am content with an index in the 4.5 range.  Generally my rounds vacillate between 77 and 83.  The 83 can be a good round with no birdies and the 77 can be a bad round with some good up-and-downs.

I am a terrible putter.

My low is +2.4 this past season

This is kind of a fun question. If i could drive the ball the way i could in my late 20s, when i was fairly accurate and swung 115-118, i think i could be really good. I only drive about 260~ now

I think my all around game now with an ability to hit it 300+ off the tee would be very dangerous

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

+2.4, and it was as good as I was ever going to get if I'm being brutally honest.

I've always been a streaky putter, but I had a decade or more the right side of scratch, so my better putting rounds were included in that spread.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

Current is 1.1 

Lowest was 0.3 earlier this season.

If a round of golf was only 14-15 holes, I think I would be a plus cap easily (not sure this counts as "historic game").  The finishing holes at my home course are tough, and I know this, but even in tournaments/qualifiers at other courses I play great for 14 or 15 holes and just collapse. 

TSR3 9* w/ Ventus Black 6X

Sim TI Rocket 14* w/ Atmos Black TS 7x

Callaway UW 17* w/ Tensei Pro White 70tx

T100S (4-P) w/ Project X 6.5

Vokey SM9 w/ Project X 6.5 Wedge (50/54/58)

***Custom Goodwood G6***

Current +1.4

Lowest +3.1

Potential +5

I have only kept an official handicap since February 2022 when I joined my private club and have been down to a +3.1 and +2.9 each summer while falling to around 0 during winter months.  
i still haven’t had my best game at any point though during that time like I did 5 years ago in the fall.  13 rounds over 2.5 months in 2018 my worst score was 72 with a low of 64.  That 72 was from the tips at greenbrier first time seeing it. My best round was not the 64 though at my local muni(rated 73.2 6800y) but was the 70 I shot at nemacolin mystic rock from the back tees, sight unseen, with 3 3-putts on the back 9. At the time rates were 77.0/149 and 7526y. Loosely estimating I probably would have gotten somewhere around +5.5 or +6. 

Still searching for it though 🤦‍♂️

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I am not big on backwards vision, saying IF this or that, then...  It's a fictitious narrative, but I'll play.

Years back, after playing for 6yrs, I reached an index of 2.  My lowest round was 68, with sporadic rounds under par; but from big boy tip's, playing even up, I am prouder of an even par "72" on a difficult course, and taking the $$$ from a much younger regional event "+" Champion.  I knew undoubtedly then I would reach scratch or better.  For me, having goals are meant to be surpassed; only more important elements redirected my focus.

Now, past 70 and a 4+ index, my goal is to shoot my age from 6500yds.  The closest recently was 75.  Never give up, never say die!

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I'm a 10 now at 57 years old. Just retired in May so hoping to play and practice more and get that down. I was a solid 4-5 in the 90's and early 2000's when I played a lot ( 100 rounds a year )

Play 20-30 rounds a year the last 5 years. Injuries have really hurt lately, hoping to lose some weight and get fitter for the spring. 

Low 5.4.  Driver was brilliant all year, and my short game was great.  Had a 5 birdie round that year and back to back 75's.  Currently at 5.6, but that is because my past two rounds have been 76, 77.  I did not have a great summer this year, but also was working on some swing changes this year as well.  I expected to rocky spots.  

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2