KBS Tour V, $ Taper & C Taper Lite Help

Mookie91

I’m not getting fit so please no posts. Wondering opinions on Tour V, $ Taper & C Taper Lite in terms of stiffness and dispersion in the Stiff category.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

Currently playing $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts in my irons and Tour V Wedge 125g in my wedges.  All of them also have Pro-Soft vibration dampening inserts installed in the shafts.

At one time or another I’ve also played the Tour V, Tour, and the C- Taper and a few others from KBS.

Regardless of what brand of clubs I’ve played over the last 10 -12 years the one constant for me has been KBS shafts.  

They work well for me, especially in my irons.  I hit down on the ball  and produce a fair amount of spin.  I prefer to see the golf ball take one hop and stop on the green.  I also avoid the X-Type golf balls because they spin too much for me.

The $-Taper shaft is my preferred shaft because it balances launch and spin well for me.  The Tour V tends to fly lower and spins a bit less for me, that is why I like it in my wedges.

What you are trying to achieve should direct you towards the correct shaft.  

Spin, Launch, peak height, descent angle, Carry distance and both front to back and side to dispersion are the parameters that I focus on when selecting a shaft.

The C-Taper Lite should launch higher than the $-Taper.  The Tour V likely will launch and spin less than the $-Taper. 

If it’s possible, go hit them all and see what happens.  

Best wishes as you go through the process to identify the shaft that delivers your best results.

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

Dispersion is a matter of how the shaft feels which affects delivery into the ball.  However, I found the Tour V to be the most accurate shaft for me among the three you listed.  It's also very linear in feel compared to the other two which makes it feel more stout I suppose.  $-taper and C-taper lite have more of a bend/kick to them.  They also launched higher and spun more than the Tour V.  I have an aggressive transition and stout and linear shafts feel better which is probably why the Tour V was the best fit for me.  

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Hoyoymac said:

Currently playing $-Taper 120g Stiff shafts in my irons and Tour V Wedge 125g in my wedges.  All of them also have Pro-Soft vibration dampening inserts installed in the shafts.

At one time or another I’ve also played the Tour V, Tour, and the C- Taper and a few others from KBS.

Regardless of what brand of clubs I’ve played over the last 10 -12 years the one constant for me has been KBS shafts.  

They work well for me, especially in my irons.  I hit down on the ball  and produce a fair amount of spin.  I prefer to see the golf ball take one hop and stop on the green.  I also avoid the X-Type golf balls because they spin too much for me.

The $-Taper shaft is my preferred shaft because it balances launch and spin well for me.  The Tour V tends to fly lower and spins a bit less for me, that is why I like it in my wedges.

Spin, Launch, peak height, descent angle, Carry distance and both front to back and side to dispersion are the parameters that I focus on when selecting a shaft.

The C-Taper Lite should launch higher than the $-Taper.  The Tour V likely will launch and spin less than the $-Taper. 

Best wishes as you go through the process to identify the shaft that delivers your best results.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I’m just looking to tinker a bit. Played X100 for years like everyone else and dabbled in Super Peening Blues and really liked KBS Tour.  Going to get a stock set if ZX5 MK II and looks like they have a good selection of KBS products.  I’ll probably end up with Axioms in there at some point but want to tinker with KBS for a start.

Thanks again

Edited by Mookie91
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Dispersion is a matter of how the shaft feels which affects delivery into the ball.  However, I found the Tour V to be the most accurate shaft for me among the three you listed.  It's also very linear in feel compared to the other two which makes it feel more stout I suppose.  $-taper and C-taper lite have more of a bend/kick to them.  They also launched higher and spun more than the Tour V.  I have an aggressive transition and stout and linear shafts feel better to me which is probably why the Tour V was the best fit for me.  Appreciate the info

Edited by Mookie91

Just my experience, and my swing speed is likely less than yours.

C-taper Lite - if you are used to playing x100, they’re going to be too high launching, even in X, let alone S.

Tour V - for those who really want a lighter shaft but who really want to swing really fast and aggressively anyway. While I’m clearly not its intended audience, its blind application is questionable in most cases.

$ Taper - its calling card is spin reduction, and my experience is that it succeeds. However, the ZX5’s reputation, though somewhat undeserved IME, is also lower spin. If your overall goal is spin reduction, well….

Tour - frankly, the standard tour is what I would go with if it was me. The most “neutral” KBS shaft, it will allow the ZX5’s to behave in their intended manner to a great degree.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

48 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

$tapers or tour v cant go wrong imo. I went with $ and absolutely love them - Chose them over the axioms after two sessions, loved both but $ just felt better. 

Awesome.  I think I’m leaning towards the $ Taper as I’ve heard the Stiff plays solid but with a bit of KBS Tour feel.

11 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

Just my experience, and my swing speed is likely less than yours.

C-taper Lite - if you are used to playing x100, they’re going to be too high launching, even in X, let alone S.

Tour V - for those who really want a lighter shaft but who really want to swing really fast and aggressively anyway. While I’m clearly not its intended audience, its blind application is questionable in most cases.

$ Taper - its calling card is spin reduction, and my experience is that it succeeds. However, the ZX5’s reputation, though somewhat undeserved IME, is also lower spin. If your overall goal is spin reduction, well….

Tour - frankly, the standard tour is what I would go with if it was me. The most “neutral” KBS shaft, it will allow the ZX5’s to behave in their intended manner to a great degree.

Loved the Tour in the past.  My concern ,may be just my insanity, I’m not sure how these manufacturers are using 110 gram shafts as stock and then maintain swing weight when you go with a 130 gram shaft.  Can’t imagine they’re creating multiple weight heads.  Ping and TaylorMade have weight screws that may factor in but not sure how Srixon would.  When I’ve gone heavier shafts in the past with 225s and HMP the builder has had to use tip weights or tungsten powder to get D2-D3.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

My concern ,may be just my insanity, I’m not sure how these manufacturers are using 110 gram shafts as stock and then maintain swing weight when you go with a 130 gram shaft.  Can’t imagine they’re creating multiple weight heads.  Ping and TaylorMade have weight screws that may factor in but not sure how Srixon would.  

If only it was insanity LOL. My, and others experience with Srixon is that they make no attempt whatsoever to determine, let alone adjust for swing weights for builds with non-standard shafts or lengths. In theory, the head badge is intended for this, but I’ve ever heard of it being used.

The standard shaft is 100g, and you’re looking at 120g. You do have options, like building 1/4” over length…

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

1 hour ago, Mookie91 said:

Awesome.  I think I’m leaning towards the $ Taper as I’ve heard the Stiff plays solid but with a bit of KBS Tour feel.

Yea the feel is awesome on the $, but you have to like the balance point being higher in their shafts - Not sure if you've tried before, but I love them for that reason. I play 130x 

I have a few buddies who play the stiff, and also the middle ground stiff+ that they offer as a tweener. I hit all three options you meantioned well, just came down to feel and spin. I get a lot of spin out of the $ personally in the new t100, but I like them for that reason. 

Edited by JohnnyHangs

1 hour ago, JohnnyHangs said:

Yea the feel is awesome on the $, but you have to like the balance point being higher in their shafts - Not sure if you've tried before, but I love them for that reason. I play 130x 

I have a few buddies who play the stiff, and also the middle ground stiff+ that they offer as a tweener. I hit all three options you meantioned well, just came down to feel and spin. I get a lot of spin out of the $ personally in the new t100, but I like them for that reason. 

I’m hoping they work as this is where I’m leaning.

Edited by Mookie91

1 hour ago, Jeff58 said:

If only it was insanity LOL. My, and others experience with Srixon is that they make no attempt whatsoever to determine, let alone adjust for swing weights for builds with non-standard shafts or lengths. In theory, the head badge is intended for this, but I’ve ever heard of it being used.

The standard shaft is 100g, and you’re looking at 120g. You do have options, like building 1/4” over length…

Maybe go a 1/4” over

Edited by Mookie91

I think this website has a really good explanation of where different club shafts fit

https://exactgolf.com/pages/iron-shaft-comparison

It’s really eye opening in terms of the difference between stiffness and weight, especially between manufacturers. The terms “regular” and “stiff” aren’t a scientific value, but the CPM measurement is a good way of comparing them.

image.png.76c192000d7976ff8a3e7a9360ba2518.png

image.png.8a86770be03708a6e669d94ca2fdb4ea.png

If you’re a Mizuno player like your Avatar, you could try and pick up a demo 6 iron head of the same (or similar) club to the one you’re playing off eBay, then pick up some shafts and try them out. You can also get Mizuno demo club adaptors pretty easily, so you can just glue them on and find out what feels best for you.

2 hours ago, moora said:

I think this website has a really good explanation of where different club shafts fit

https://exactgolf.com/pages/iron-shaft-comparison

It’s really eye opening in terms of the difference between stiffness and weight, especially between manufacturers. The terms “regular” and “stiff” aren’t a scientific value, but the CPM measurement is a good way of comparing them.

image.png.76c192000d7976ff8a3e7a9360ba2518.png

image.png.8a86770be03708a6e669d94ca2fdb4ea.png

If you’re a Mizuno player like your Avatar, you could try and pick up a demo 6 iron head of the same (or similar) club to the one you’re playing off eBay, then pick up some shafts and try them out. You can also get Mizuno demo club adaptors pretty easily, so you can just glue them on and find out what feels best for you.

I don't believe that the PX 7.0 CPM out lower than the PX LZ 6.5.  PX LZ feels and plays softer than the OG PX.  Same thing for the C-taper 130X. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

41 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I don't believe that the PX 7.0 CPM out lower than the PX LZ 6.5.  PX LZ feels and plays softer than the OG PX.  Same thing for the C-taper 130X. 

I was thinking the same thing.  There was a shaft chart floating around here that I believed was pinned but can’t seem to find it.

On 12/16/2023 at 7:32 AM, Hoyoymac said:

Can you comment on the feel differences between $-taper in your irons and Tour-V in your wedges? I was considering building a set of irons with $-tapers and wasn't sure what to use for wedge shafts:

1. $-taper in wedges

2. Tour Wedge Shaft

3. Tour-V Wedge Shaft

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

I would test them. IMO the Tour V is a lot different from the other two. 

A couple of notes: My 7 iron swing is 86 mph. Tempo moderate to quick. I do not like shafts with no kick whatsoever or those with a big kick. I also am in the Mike Taylor (Tiger’s iron builder) in that I think trying to hit a swing weight is overrated. It’s a result, not a goal. It’s not even really a weight — nothing really weighs D2 or D4 or anything — it’s a balance scale. So I get the total weight how I want it and the feel how I want it and whatever the swing weight is, it is. Does not matter to me. My fits have been much better focused on total actual weight. 

1. C Taper Lite X flex (115g) soft-stepped once is my favorite of the ones you list. I get mid-launch with it. Easy to flight. It is like a friendlier C Taper. Still loads the on less than perfect swings. The whole “launches high” rep is very relative. It launches in a great window for me. I get perfect spin and stopping power with this shaft. Very reliable and feels great. 

2. Tour V is my least favorite. Very stout, rigid feel. Excellent shaft but I don’t like the feel. I actually rank it as one of my least liked shafts I’ve played. Requires an aggressive swing IMO and I feel how stiff it is in my hands and I think I swing too hard with it. 

3. $ Taper feels pretty good. Also a solid shaft. I like it better in reg-plus at 115g because I like that weight. A $ Taper stiff will feel a little stiffer than a C Taper Lite X flex. I still would play the standard Tour, C Taper Lite or C Taper over this one. I am a Project X Rifle fan so C Taper is appealing. 

Right now I am playing C Taper 120g stiff parallel tips in my irons. Those play a little softer than the taper tip version. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

2 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

Can you comment on the feel differences between $-taper in your irons and Tour-V in your wedges? I was considering building a set of irons with $-tapers and wasn't sure what to use for wedge shafts:

1. $-taper in wedges

2. Tour Wedge Shaft

3. Tour-V Wedge Shaft

The Tour V wedge shaft feels just slightly stouter than the $-Taper 120 Stiff that I play in my irons.  

The main difference for me is that the trajectory is slightly lower and the spin is also slightly lower.  

I rely on a fair amount of spin while chipping but I don’t want my full swing shots to spin back too much.  The Tour-V Wedge 125g Stiff shaft gives me exactly what I want.

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

I've played all of the following (no C-Taper Lite) and here are my thoughts. Tour V feels different enough that you'd want to hit it first. Pretty unique profile. 

Tour Stiff 120 - mid launch, mid/low spin for me. great feel. love it in mid and long irons

$ Taper 120 and 125 - the 120 stiff feel a touch stiffer than Tour 120, less action in lower third. Touch less spin

Tour V Stiff (110g) - This basically takes same weight stiffness Tour and bumps up stiffness in the midsection. Stiffer mid makes it feel quite stable at lower weight. The handle and tip of Tour V 110 feels softer than Tour 120. Similar spin as Tour 120 but in lighter weight. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

On 12/16/2023 at 9:19 AM, Mookie91 said:

Loved the Tour in the past.  My concern ,may be just my insanity, I’m not sure how these manufacturers are using 110 gram shafts as stock and then maintain swing weight when you go with a 130 gram shaft.  Can’t imagine they’re creating multiple weight heads.  Ping and TaylorMade have weight screws that may factor in but not sure how Srixon would.  When I’ve gone heavier shafts in the past with 225s and HMP the builder has had to use tip weights or tungsten powder to get D2-D3.

I have asked Srixon this question and they do not build to specific SW's.  I believe they measure the heaviest one and build the rest to them.  

I played the tour-v 110 for a while and built several sets.  I will say they SW very light compared to other shafts.  Like 3 points lighter all other things being equal.  You might like the feel or not, but I'd definitely try it beforehand.   

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

1 hour ago, shellbmb said:

I have asked Srixon this question and they do not build to specific SW's.  I believe they measure the heaviest one and build the rest to them.  

I played the tour-v 110 for a while and built several sets.  I will say they SW very light compared to other shafts.  Like 3 points lighter all other things being equal.  You might like the feel or not, but I'd definitely try it beforehand.   

I think Tour V has the highest balance bounce of all KBS shafts. Then Tour, then $ Taper, then C Taper. 

I actually love Tour V in longish irons but not so much in short irons. 

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

22 hours ago, PNW said:

I think Tour V has the highest balance bounce of all KBS shafts. Then Tour, then $ Taper, then C Taper. 

They also work great for over-length builds when you don't want the SW to get up there.  

• Like 2

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

6 minutes ago, shellbmb said:

They also work great for over-length builds when you don't want the SW to get up there.  

Absolutely. Definitely agree with you on that

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

On 12/18/2023 at 8:56 PM, PNW said:

I’m leaning $ Taper 120 but super worried they will be C8 😂

@Mookie91 I haven't found $ Tapers to be counterbalanced like that and I've built with both 120 and 125. I would bet its one point lighter than your X100. Two at most. LA Golf shafts on the other hand... yeah those would drop to C8

• Thanks 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

27 minutes ago, PNW said:

@Mookie91 I haven't found $ Tapers to be counterbalanced like that and I've built with both 120 and 125. I would bet its one point lighter than your X100. Two at most. LA Golf shafts on the other hand... yeah those would drop to C8

Appreciate the info.  I understand Srixon’s stance that they can’t guarantee a swingweight but a guy like me who prefers stock length and MCC Midsize grips, it may push me to the 245s instead ☹️

• Like 1

@Mookie91 I don't think you can go wrong with either of those heads!

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

i have experience in these shafts but heavier versions, never swung the C taper lite

the $ taper is going to be the best feeling shaft, very smooth, simliar to regular tour, but should be lower spin

Tour V going to feel stouter for sure, I consider it crisp and should feel the same or heavier, even though the weights at flexs are lighter,  should also lower spin and launch

if you prefer feel, would suggest $ taper, if you are looking for more control, lower spin and launch, tour V.  The regular C taper i find is like swinging rebar, but very consistent, not sure if the lite is the same 

• Thanks 1