2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Version 2 Taylormade Qi10???

Didn't think it was worthy of it's own thread, but looks like there is a Max V2 now as well.  Maybe I just completely missed it, but haven't seen that one mentioned so far.  USGA list has it as a * head too like the core V2

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

On 2/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, Golfrnut said:

Didn't think it was worthy of it's own thread, but looks like there is a Max V2 now as well.  Maybe I just completely missed it, but haven't seen that one mentioned so far.  USGA list has it as a * head too like the core V2

Wonder if like the core V2 with the CG forward to cut spin? 

6 hours ago, ronster said:

Wonder if like the core V2 with the CG forward to cut spin? 

All the Tour truck would need to do to cut spin is to put more weight up front & less in the rear.  The clubs are nearly pure carbon you really can't move CG by doing anything other than messing w the weights or by literally being a different shape of head.
Gotta be "Something" different about the heads.

Edited by ignitewvu

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Yeah, I would think it would almost have to be some sort of shape change at this point.  The weight port being moved to change lateral CG. Something. 

on the identifiers notes, it only calls it a * head like the other one. No extra photos or anything to show key differences. Unless the images are exactly the same and you can overlay them, hard to tell without some insider info. 

Edited by Golfrnut

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)

Spider Tour X3

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

For most of us the difference probably  is -

one costs $599 with stock shafts

one costs $900 with no shaft and has a * on it by the loft

Yeah I had a run years ago where I was enamored with “tour van” gear. Got over it when I came to the realization that my game was, and never will even sniff, the game and needs those guys have. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So take this with a grain of salt as its speculation. Was watching a youtube vid and and one of the TM reps said they could not add weight to the max head because it would make it non-conforming (assuming this is MOI related). So perhaps, and just a perhaps, the * head starts at a lower MOI value to allow them to add weight for shorter playing lengths. 

Edited by Golfrnut
  • Like 3

Spider Tour X3

8 hours ago, Golfrnut said:

So take this with a grain of salt as its speculation. Was watching a youtube vid and and one of the TM reps said they could not add weight to the max head because it would make it non-conforming (assuming this is MOI related). So perhaps, and just a perhaps, the * head starts at a lower MOI value to allow them to add weight for shorter playing lengths. 

What I have discovered about tour heads is that they all tend to start out lighter so they can be customized more to each players specs. OTR heads are all weighted with stock shaft in mind. This may not be totally true but just something I have observed when I went through the tour issue faze as well

11 minutes ago, jhford00 said:

What I have discovered about tour heads is that they all tend to start out lighter so they can be customized more to each players specs. OTR heads are all weighted with stock shaft in mind. This may not be totally true but just something I have observed when I went through the tour issue faze as well

its been a bit of a known thing that adding any sort of perimeter weighting will improve MOI. I kinda assumed the marketing was ‘rounded up’ to sell clubs, but if they are in fact at the USGA MOI limit, the theory makes sense.  I would have assumed they would dial back the heads to give their tour folks padding so they didnt get hit with an illegal head, but maybe that’s a caveat they are telling their players that are choosing to use them. 

Spider Tour X3

5 minutes ago, ronster said:

I think on the Fully Equipped podcast one of the tour reps said the heads are no where near the COR limit, unlike the retail heads. It would make sense if the same limit was applied  for MOI. 

5:20 in. 

• Like 1

Spider Tour X3

6 hours ago, jhford00 said:

Wunder also said, for callaway at least, that the tour heads have thicker faces and will be 2-3 mph lower in BS compared to a retail head so that they don’t become non conforming during the year for the player. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tree Levino said:

Wunder also said, for callaway at least, that the tour heads have thicker faces and will be 2-3 mph lower in BS compared to a retail head so that they don’t become non conforming during the year for the player. 

Most tour pros can probably get away with 3mph less BS

Your average golfer like myself needs as much BS as they can get. 

What we don't need is people talking BS on the golf course 🤭

• Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade Qi10 9* - Ventus Black 6S

Woods: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 & 5 Wood - Ventus Black 7S

Hybrid: TaylorMade Qi10 Tour - Ventus Blue 85HYB Stiff

Irons: TaylorMade p790 & p770 Combo Set - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Wedges: TaylorMade MG4 50 SB - 54 SB - 58 LBV - KBS Tour 120g Stiff

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour DB 35"

6 hours ago, ronster said:

I think on the Fully Equipped podcast one of the tour reps said the heads are no where near the COR limit, unlike the retail heads. It would make sense if the same limit was applied  for MOI. 

1 hour ago, Tree Levino said:

Chances of getting a hotter head are def in retail. 

I remember reading that. I think that is only for Callaway though?? 

Seems to me like it would be very hard for TM to make a thicker face with the carbon. If they did then I wish I would have bought a tour issue one bc I went through 4 last year!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m in a TSR3 right now but I did prefer the softer feel with my TM drivers. Just hate the right bias of them. With my understanding of what’s been mentioned here I’m interested in trying the Qi10 rather than the LS version… But is it worth trying to get the V2 or could a retail head achieve the same thing?

My launch and spin numbers were great with the Stealth Plus. It was just the right bias that I didn’t love 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jfeldt7 said:

I’m in a TSR3 right now but I did prefer the softer feel with my TM drivers. Just hate the right bias of them. With my understanding of what’s been mentioned here I’m interested in trying the Qi10 rather than the LS version… But is it worth trying to get the V2 or could a retail head achieve the same thing?

My launch and spin numbers were great with the Stealth Plus. It was just the right bias that I didn’t love 

Nothing hot melt can’t fix or lead tape initially to dial it in. 

Edited by UnderPar18
  • Like 1
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

I wonder is @Peoples Golf ever got in a Core Head to to do the "Real" comparison???

• Like 1

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115

6 minutes ago, ignitewvu said:

I wonder is @Peoples Golf ever got in a Core Head to to do the "Real" comparison???

Surely this isn’t that difficult to make happen?  

It would be nice to hear what the differences truly are and  compare what you are getting for what I am assuming is a premium price for the * model.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Surely this isn’t that difficult to make happen?  

It would be nice to hear what the differences truly are and  compare what you are getting for what I am assuming is a premium price for the * model.

This one has me curious just cause I'm a junky.  I find it difficult to think the internal construction is really that much different from the Retail Core head (Seeing the material is basically all CF).  Will already shot down the theory that it was a LS profile in a Core Frame.

7 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

Aren’t pros better at controlling spin? Why wouldn’t amateurs who struggle to keep their spin down be a good fit for an LS head?

Pros swing harder than 90 percent of ams and have face contact dispersion pattern the size of a qtip head.   If LS’s heads are too low spin for pros who hammer a 1/4 by 1/4” quadrant in the middle of the face… why would an am who hits it all over the face, with far less speed, in a less forgiving LS head benefit?  They don’t.  

Example from this morning….Keopka just stepped out with a non LS TM head.   Plenty of others are skipping the LS heads.  I have plenty of personal experience comparing LS vs non LS heads … but that only applies to my swing and no one else’s.   So I’ll save my breath. 

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

58 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Pros swing harder than 90 percent of ams and have face contact dispersion pattern the size of a qtip head.   If LS’s heads are too low spin for pros who hammer a 1/4 by 1/4” quadrant in the middle of the face… why would an am who hits it all over the face, with far less speed, in a less forgiving LS head benefit?  They don’t.  

Example from this morning….Keopka just stepped out with a non LS TM head.   Plenty of others are skipping the LS heads.  I have plenty of personal experience comparing LS vs non LS heads … but that only applies to my swing and no one else’s.   So I’ll save my breath. 

No one is saying every amateur should use an LS head. I’m saying plenty of amateurs can fit into an LS head. I’m also saying, pros who have already mastered the low-spin bomb swing might fit into a driver with a non- LS head and that fact has nothing to do with what any amateur needs. 

If you’re an amateur with a high swing speed who hits the center of the face consistently but struggles with a steep angle of attack and out-to-in path, there’s a decent chance your a better fit for an LS driver. The reason I know this is because I just discovered it for myself. The Qi10 LS is plenty forgiving for amateurs.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Frank Newport said:

No one is saying every amateur should use an LS head. I’m saying plenty of amateurs can fit into an LS head. I’m also saying, pros who have already mastered the low-spin bomb swing might fit into a driver with a non- LS head and that fact has nothing to do with what any amateur needs. 

If you’re an amateur with a high swing speed who hits the center of the face consistently but struggles with a steep angle of attack and out-to-in path, there’s a decent chance your a better fit for an LS driver. The reason I know this is because I just discovered it for myself. The Qi10 LS is plenty forgiving for amateurs.

I play a cut off the tee and do not want to see the ball go left ever with the driver.

In neutral to -1 path with driver and have a +2 to 4 AoA of attack, with 115-120 clubhead speed on course depending on how much I’m playing.  My miss is low on the face and occasionally in the heel.  The low spin heads help me keep spin managed ( below 2800) on those misses.  So far my qi 10 has been the most forgiving right biased driver I’ve swung.  

alternatively i struggled to get the core head below 2500 spin on centered strikes.   Miss spiked over 3k for me on the day I tried.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I play a cut off the tee and do not want to see the ball go left ever with the driver.

In neutral to -1 path with driver and have a +2 to 4 AoA of attack, with 115-120 clubhead speed on course depending on how much I’m playing.  My miss is low on the face and occasionally in the heel.  The low spin heads help me keep spin managed ( below 2800) on those misses.  So far my qi 10 has been the most forgiving right biased driver I’ve swung.  

alternatively i struggled to get the core head below 2500 spin on centered strikes.   Miss spiked over 3k for me on the day I tried.   

I’ve been having that same experience with the Standard Stealth 2 for the past year. I absolutely love the Standard Stealth 2 driver. It’s long and very forgiving. I think it’s one of the most underrated drivers on the market, but when I get steep it spins too much and the distance drop off is remarkable. Especially when I strike it low. I recently went to a TM demo day to see if I could mitigate the issue with a different shaft. It worked and got my spin lower, but the fitter said he might have something that could eliminate the issue completely. I told him I wasn’t really in the market for a new driver, just a shaft, but I’d love to tinker. He handed me the Qi10 LS. It was an eye opening experience. The good swings resulted in a 5-10 yards increase over the Stealth 2, but the steep swings are where the LS shines. Steep swings resulted in a much longer and straighter ball flight. The fitting was outdoors on a Trackman.

I was skeptical going into the demo day. I always assumed LS heads were for much better golfers than me and I already have a driver I love, but I got to see outdoors with a Trackman how an LS head can actually benefit some players regardless of their handicap. Don’t sleep on LS heads just because some pros aren’t using them. The Qi10 LS is extremely forgiving and you might just find it the most forgiving in the lineup for your swing.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Newport said:

I struggle with spin windows, I hit a ton of fairways and have decent clubhead speed, but if I don’t manage my spin numbers I lose a lot of distance. I’ve been on the unicorn hunt for a long time, forgiving low spin head (those two factors are constantly at odds). I have no brand loyalties and have played everything the last 5 years (Ping, Callaway, Titleist, PXG, Taylormade) in multiple releases except Cobra. The TSR4 checked most of the boxes and has been great, but the AI Smoke TD kicked it out of the bag. My new head comes in tomorrow. Worth a look, I couldn’t get along with the Qi10LS for my swing even though I wanted to.

• Thanks 1

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*