2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Moving from Players Distance to Cavity Back Players irons?

ad_l1b

Currently gaming P790s from 2021 (played Titleist T300s before that) and like them a lot however my handicap has dropped from 20 all the way down to a 10 over that last year or so. On a whim I went to go try out the new Ping 10k driver just to see if the hype was real (was not better than my LST) and while I was there my fitter had me try the Titleist T150s and the new Mizuno 243s. LOVED the feel from these irons and honestly really like how much feedback they gave me over the p790s. I could tell exactly where I struck the ball on the face vs with my P790s its a lot more numb unless its an extreme miss. My miss is mostly a pull to the left that ends up getting me in trouble long, what I found with the cavity back irons is that miss ended up being much less of an issue as they didn't fly nearly as far. I also was expecting a huge drop off in carry distance but in fact it was very similar and the ball flight was much better to my eye and the stopping power into the green with descent angle and spin was REALLY nice. I would not go so far as to say that my iron striking is the best part of my game, but as I hit those irons it occurred to me that the increased feeling/feedback would probably help me continue to improve more quickly than the forgiveness at this point. Maybe I am delusional but I didn't see a HUGE gap in forgiveness between the cavity back and the players distance. I am really considering picking up a set of the Mizuno 243s or something similar, but before i light fire to a bucket full of cash wanted to see if anyone had some helpful thoughts maybe from their journey. 

thanks in advance

• Like 3

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50* S Grind 54* D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: L.A.B. DF 3 TPT shaft Press 3*

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS 

To me, it all comes down to face contact. If you're hitting the center of the face pretty consistently then you aren't going to notice much difference if any at all.

Now if you're not, which it sounds like you aren't. Well then I would make the swap.

Make the game as easy as possible !!!!!!

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

I think forgiveness is an often over used term.  Great for marketing, but no club is going to fix bad strikes.  That said, what shaft is in your current set and which were you fit for?  Have to wonder if the better dispersion is coming from that.  As for the change, go with what looks and feels the best to you.  If one of this are off then you likely won't be happy with the decision.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, ad_l1b said:

I would not go so far as to say that my iron striking is the best part of my game, but as I hit those irons it occurred to me that the increased feeling/feedback would probably help me continue to improve more quickly than the forgiveness at this point.

Having played blades since learning, plus a few modern Tour iron designs like my T100; impact vibrations are imperative for me.  Though the head material and design contribute, it's the shaft that allows the talking to reach my hands and my head to read the message. 

As you consider clubs with Player attributes, let me remind you, they are not the best at letting the user off the hook with sloppy ball striking.  When a person goes brain-dead, bad scoring with certain clubs and shafts sends a message.  

I've said it often, solid ball striking comes from constant attention to details, there's NO let up like with more forgiving irons; reason I still hit the ball well and card respectable scores.  Good luck!

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

9 minutes ago, golfinbrad said:

I think forgiveness is an often over used term.  Great for marketing, but no club is going to fix bad strikes.  That said, what shaft is in your current set and which were you fit for?  Have to wonder if the better dispersion is coming from that.  As for the change, go with what looks and feels the best to you.  If one of this are off then you likely won't be happy with the decision.

My current irons are fitted with OBAN CT 125 stiff, and I have been really happy with those. I was able to hit the T150s and the 243s with the same shaft setup as my gamers only obvious difference is the loft sleeve weight on the fitting shaft. Like I said the thing i noticed was the ball flight looked better (visually and on trackman) and the feel/feedback was night and day different. 

• Like 1

ARCCOS 

8 minutes ago, ad_l1b said:

My current irons are fitted with OBAN CT 125 stiff, and I have been really happy with those. I was able to hit the T150s and the 243s with the same shaft setup as my gamers only obvious difference is the loft sleeve weight on the fitting shaft. Like I said the thing i noticed was the ball flight looked better (visually and on trackman) and the feel/feedback was night and day different. 

Sounds like you already convinced yourself.  Go for it and have fun!!! 

I have several set of CB and other "Tour Cavity" but prefer to play my club matches and important ones with players distance for lower flight. That said, severe misses with a P790 or say a ZX7 or Pro 223 are likely the same, if all lofts match you may get more speed out of a P790. So you may just have to get used to a new set of distances. I have to agree with you though, it is a better feel experience. 

For me, it was tough to swallow some guys hitting 7 while you hit a 6 but once you get past that there are no issues and in theory if you get better feedback you would be lowering your feedback with practice etc.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SUPERG said:

I have several set of CB and other "Tour Cavity" but prefer to play my club matches and important ones with players distance for lower flight. That said, severe misses with a P790 or say a ZX7 or Pro 223 are likely the same, if all lofts match you may get more speed out of a P790. So you may just have to get used to a new set of distances. I have to agree with you though, it is a better feel experience. 

For me, it was tough to swallow some guys hitting 7 while you hit a 6 but once you get past that there are no issues and in theory if you get better feedback you would be lowering your feedback with practice etc.... 

I dont mind clubbing up if i can drop it and stop it :)

• Like 2

ARCCOS 

1 hour ago, golfinbrad said:

Sounds like you already convinced yourself.  Go for it and have fun!!! 

again though I may be delusional here 😛  

ARCCOS 

Would you consider a blended set? Say like Mizzy 243’s in short to mid irons and then 245’s in the longer irons? I haven’t hit the 243’s yet but I remember hitting the 223’s in my last fitting and they were great all around. They almost made it in the bag but I ultimately went with the ZX7’s 5-P. However I recently swallowed my pride and acknowledged that I could use a little more forgiveness in my 5&6 irons so I swapped in the ZX5 mkii 5&6. They gave me the additional forgiveness I was looking for, feel great and provide feedback to know where I’m hitting on the face, just not as buttery as my ZX7s. I imagine that the drop off in feels between the Mizzy 243 and 245 would be minimal, if any though

A significant issue with a typical fitting is that you’re being fit for a 7 iron. I decent ball striker can hit any 7 iron in the controlled fitting environment. You then purchase the player/blade set, become despondent in real play, and under the “Goldilocks” rule, trade them for Cleveland Halo XL’s.

An alternative might be to purchase TM P7MC’s. Then just integrate whichever P790’s with the P7MC’s that you’re comfortable with.

• Like 2

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

I currently have T200's that were fit for me last year when I was a 22HC. I'm now a 9 HC and am looking to do the same thing. I have a Cobra fitting soon to try the Cobra King CB which I would combo with the King Tours in the 4 and 5 iron if I like the clubs.

Driver: Cobra DarkSpeed LS 10.5° - Ventus Blue 6x
3W: TaylorMade Qi10 15° - Kai'li White 70x
5W: TaylorMade Qi10 18° - Kai'li White 70x
Irons: Cobra King Tour 4-5 Cobra King CB 6-9 Cobra King MB Pw-Gw - Modus 120x
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 TourRack 54 mid & 58 low - Modus 125 Wedge Shaft
Putter: L.A.B Mezz.1 Max w Accra shaft

This is golf WRX….. buy 20 sets. Change them very few weeks. Or every 9 holes. 

Rinse and repeat. 

I hate fittings. They generally suck. 

id rather go to PGA superstore. Grab a bunch of the preowned clubs for sale and hit them in a simulator. They let you do that with the preowned sets. Try the shafts and different heads. Or go find a second swing. Go in a weekday when no one is there. Or use global golf UTry program.

Or buy tons of stuff on here and take them out on a course and mess around with them. 

these places have so much available this time of year because everyone is trading in. Most try to a of sh*t….

here is the kicker, learn what it is about the dynamics of the shafts and heads that work for you. 

for example, I need heads with high CG and longer blade length. But little offset. My shafts need to be between 110 and 125G with almost no kick in the middle. I can handle but flex or tip flex in Tour V or Modus 130. Once you start wrapping your head around that you can start to realize it’s not about players cavity vs GI Vs blades, it’s a type of club and shaft dynamic that works for your swing. 

Then in typical WRX fashion still buy stuff here that doesn’t fit that profile because somehow you still want to try it…. Which I am probably about to do right now….. off to BST … to buy super low CG irons with some kind of slot back and a mid flex shaft that is light weight…. Because well, you know…..

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reading the original post, the OP mentions after improving and growing into the clubs, his misses now are often left.   while i haven't looked at those version of p790's, this was a thing for many manufacturers that the more game improvement on into player's distance clubs had more offset helping players eliminate the most common right misses.  

moving into CB's and blades/ MB's, usually they have limited to no offset.   the elimination of offset was the reason i went from a 12 HC to mid single digit.

so, yes, i 100% agree with T Golf 23 on trying clubs and shafts and finding those sweet spots - this is most important - but don't sleep on trying to remove offset.

and in ten years or after your mid-forties you'll be back asking for more forgiveness again.  

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

9 hours ago, ad_l1b said:

Currently gaming P790s from 2021 (played Titleist T300s before that) and like them a lot however my handicap has dropped from 20 all the way down to a 10 over that last year or so. On a whim I went to go try out the new Ping 10k driver just to see if the hype was real (was not better than my LST) and while I was there my fitter had me try the Titleist T150s and the new Mizuno 243s. LOVED the feel from these irons and honestly really like how much feedback they gave me over the p790s. I could tell exactly where I struck the ball on the face vs with my P790s its a lot more numb unless its an extreme miss. My miss is mostly a pull to the left that ends up getting me in trouble long, what I found with the cavity back irons is that miss ended up being much less of an issue as they didn't fly nearly as far. I also was expecting a huge drop off in carry distance but in fact it was very similar and the ball flight was much better to my eye and the stopping power into the green with descent angle and spin was REALLY nice. I would not go so far as to say that my iron striking is the best part of my game, but as I hit those irons it occurred to me that the increased feeling/feedback would probably help me continue to improve more quickly than the forgiveness at this point. Maybe I am delusional but I didn't see a HUGE gap in forgiveness between the cavity back and the players distance. I am really considering picking up a set of the Mizuno 243s or something similar, but before i light fire to a bucket full of cash wanted to see if anyone had some helpful thoughts maybe from their journey. 

thanks in advance

I see you have a 3 and 4 hybrid in the bag, and start your irons at 5 iron. The p790 5 iron is 23.5 degrees of loft.  If you really wanted to see if the t150 or mizuno 243 irons are a good fit, go find 4 and 5 irons in the t150 and 243 and see if you can hit them well enough to gap with your current hybrids.  I can tell you personally, hitting a p790 5 iron is completely different from hitting a players cavity, especially off un-even lies, bunkers, mud and the rough.  If you can hit them well, then honestly go for it and enjoy the new clubs.  I've had p790, p770, t100s, hmb20, mb20, and 225's, so just giving you some advice from personal experience. 

2 hours ago, FmaxTurboSi said:

I see you have a 3 and 4 hybrid in the bag, and start your irons at 5 iron. The p790 5 iron is 23.5 degrees of loft.  If you really wanted to see if the t150 or mizuno 243 irons are a good fit, go find 4 and 5 irons in the t150 and 243 and see if you can hit them well enough to gap with your current hybrids.  I can tell you personally, hitting a p790 5 iron is completely different from hitting a players cavity, especially off un-even lies, bunkers, mud and the rough.  If you can hit them well, then honestly go for it and enjoy the new clubs.  I've had p790, p770, t100s, hmb20, mb20, and 225's, so just giving you some advice from personal experience. 

I hit the 6 iron in the fitting bay because Club Champion…that’s all they have. But yeah I would be open to going into the 245 or t200 in the 5 iron.

ARCCOS 

3 hours ago, skaarsgard said:

and in ten years or after your mid-forties you'll be back asking for more forgiveness again.  

Turning 50 this year 🙂

• Like 1

ARCCOS 

I know when I hit a shot that's not near the middle of the club face with every club in my bag from driver to putter. Between my hands, my ears and my eyes I can identify where on the clubface I hit the ball. Knowing what to do with that information is far more difficult than getting the "feedback".

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

5 hours ago, ad_l1b said:

Turning 50 this year 🙂

similar age here and still play CB's too but the winters and body reminds me that there's a reason all my senior friends play more forgiving irons.  i'm a ho too so i switch clubs each round thinking the next set will eliminate my problems.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS 9* Ventus Blue Velo TR 6s                        Titleist TSi3 9* Tour AD-TP 6s

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 3w 15* - Tour AD-DI 7s                 Titleist TSi3 3w 16.5* Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist 910h 19* Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s                                        Titleist TSi2 19*  Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85s
2021 Titleist T100s 5-GW w/ MMT 95s                                          Ping i25 5-PW w/ C Taper 120s

Callaway PM Grind/ 54*/ 60*                                                          Scratch DW 50*, TM MG High Toe 56*/ 60*        
Bettinardi Queen B #10 Tiffany                                                       Scotty Cameron California Fastback                                             

20 hours ago, T_Golf_23 said:

This is golf WRX….. buy 20 sets. Change them very few weeks. Or every 9 holes. 

Rinse and repeat. 

I hate fittings. They generally suck. 

id rather go to PGA superstore. Grab a bunch of the preowned clubs for sale and hit them in a simulator. They let you do that with the preowned sets. Try the shafts and different heads. Or go find a second swing. Go in a weekday when no one is there. Or use global golf UTry program.

Or buy tons of stuff on here and take them out on a course and mess around with them. 

these places have so much available this time of year because everyone is trading in. Most try to a of sh*t….

here is the kicker, learn what it is about the dynamics of the shafts and heads that work for you. 

for example, I need heads with high CG and longer blade length. But little offset. My shafts need to be between 110 and 125G with almost no kick in the middle. I can handle but flex or tip flex in Tour V or Modus 130. Once you start wrapping your head around that you can start to realize it’s not about players cavity vs GI Vs blades, it’s a type of club and shaft dynamic that works for your swing. 

Then in typical WRX fashion still buy stuff here that doesn’t fit that profile because somehow you still want to try it…. Which I am probably about to do right now….. off to BST … to buy super low CG irons with some kind of slot back and a mid flex shaft that is light weight…. Because well, you know…..

"I need heads with high CG and longer blade length. But little offset."

So having narrowed down the style of irons you prefer...what types have you found that fit the bill? Curious as that's starting to sound similar to what I play best with as well. Thanks!

Edited by wigib2
typo

Like the OP, I’m 50 and I’ll never forget what my first golf coach said waaaaay back in ‘88 when I started to love this game. Back then you had 3 choices in irons in my clubs pro shop…. Bladey blades, Eye2’s or 845’s. He said “play the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at”. It’s always stuck with me. CB, players distance, GI, SGI, players etc…… I ignore that lingo and just go back to what Pro told me all those years ago. 

• Like 2

TM Brnr Mini Driver 13.5(12)

TM RBZ Stage2 3Hy 

TM RBX Stage2 4Hy

Ping G410 5-U

Ping Glide 3.0 SS 52/56

Ping Sigma G Craz-e. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:23 PM, ad_l1b said:

thanks in advance

I'm a +1 and I play p790.  I get it..10 is good, but you got there by using equipment that works for you.  Why make the game harder? 

• Like 2

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max driver

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 3 wood

Adams tour proto 20 hybrid

Callaway Apex CB 24 (4-pw)

Vokey sm9 52/58 wedges 

Scotty fastback 1.5 putter

On 1/17/2024 at 12:54 PM, Pepperturbo said:

Though the head material and design contribute, it's the shaft that allows the talking to reach my hands and my head to read the message. 

.  So much talk about club heads….Good club head , bad shaft.  No Bueno.  

And the anecdotal comments, the xxx are the best irons ever; I went to a CB and they're way better!  I always hit blades!   I tried those and they’re no good!  

Rarely see apples to apples comparison. Different club head with the same shaft to compare. 

And too much marketing blather in golf equipment.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, PARETO said:

Like the OP, I’m 50 and I’ll never forget what my first golf coach said waaaaay back in ‘88 when I started to love this game. Back then you had 3 choices in irons in my clubs pro shop…. Bladey blades, Eye2’s or 845’s. He said “play the most forgiving irons you can stand to look at”. It’s always stuck with me. CB, players distance, GI, SGI, players etc…… I ignore that lingo and just go back to what Pro told me all those years ago. 

Excellent advice i wish I had 4 decades ago!!!!!! Would have saved me a lot of aggravation.

However, there was a time when I would have been embarrassed if my friends saw me with cavity back irons. It was blades all day 2-pw. Vanity, ego, stupid; not as good as I could have been. Now I don't care. I will play whatever works the most effectively. My bag has a lot of head covers lol. 

• Like 2