2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping 430, 10k vs Max vs LST

hrs122

Has anyone had a chance to test on trackman or the course.   I have both the LST and the Max (my son plays), but I am really curious to see where the 10k fits.  Most of the online videos are comparing the 10k to the max, but I haven't seen anything that brings in the LST.  I like the extra distance I get with the LST.  I trying to figure out if the difference between the 10k is mostly marketing and hype, or if there is real improvement there.  The regular max is too spinny for me @ 3000 +

The biggest thing with the 10k is the mis-hits. They go a bit farther and straighter. Then the spin rate can be a little lower. 

For me in my fitting, we had to work in getting my spin-rate UP (SS100). But the shots with the 10k were much better for dispersion than the MAX and LST. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I heard on the Ping podcast that Marty Jertson said the LST was lowest spinning, then 10k, then Max, then SFT was highest in that order if that helps. 

But yes, the 10k is supposed to be better maintaining ball speeds across the face on mishits and maintaining consistent spin rates.

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ GD AD-DI 7X
Taylormade SIM TI 15* w/ GD AD-DI 8X

Srixon u85 2-Iron w/ Dynamic Gold X100
Ping Blueprint S 4-W w/ KBS $Taper 125
Ping s159 50s/Ping Glide 4.0 54s/Vokey SM9 60T
L.A.B. Mezz 1

Titleist ProV1

On 1/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, ad_l1b said:

10k is supposed to be Goldilocks best of max best of LST, I didn't see much in it when I compared it to my LST but my swing has some "special" issues as I come in very neutral at around 103-108mph. So spin is an issue for me but not because of how fast i swing the club, but more so my AOA. The LST is already crazy forgiving for a low spin driver so I had low expectations going in.

YMMV but the LST was still the winner for me, especially with the adjustable weight.

I haven’t hit the 10K, but own both the LST and Max. The Max is more forgiving, but the LST is more consistent. And the LST is more forgiving than one would reasonably expect from a low-spin 440cc head. It is really quite impressive how forgiving the LST is.

In short, not terribly surprised that the 10K did not unseat the LST for you.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

10K should sit somewhere in between MAX and LST as far as spin goes. My results were within 100-200 rpm of one another between the LST and the Max 10K. Biggest difference for me in the fitting was that I get the occasional knuckle ball with the LST (1600-1700 spin) and the occasional 3000-4000 spin ball with the original MAX. With the MAX 10K I never had any drop below 1900 and never saw anything above 2900 (Have hit a ton of balls with the LST 9 and 10.5, but MAX and MAX 10K have probably hit 40-50 shots indoors on Trackman). The face is slightly more shallow on the 10K so looking at others' results that can be a pro or a con and some people have been spinning it more or less so definitely go test it...I was hitting the 10.5 Max 10K in a fitting w/ Ventus TR Blue 6X and was hitting 4-5 up on the ball and spin was averaging ~2250. Picking up my MAX 10K this afternoon

Edited by ajbillings
  • Like 2

PING G430 MAX 10K 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

PING G430 MAX 3W 15°@14° | Fujikura 2024 Ventus Blue 7X

PING G430 MAX 7W 21°@19.5° | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8X

PING G430 5H 26°@25° | Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 9X

PING i230 5i-7i, PING Blueprint S 8i-PW | Fujikura Axiom 125X

PING Glide 4.0 Stealth 50°-12 | Fujikura Axiom 125X

PING Glide 4.0 Stealth 55°-11 (56°@55°), 60°-8 (58°T@60°), Glide Forged Pro 60°-09 (59°EYE2@60°) | DG S400 Tour Issue "Season Opener" Masters Edition

PING PLD Custom DS72H 35.5" | BGT Stability Tour Masters M-Edition and L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX 36" White/Green Masters Edition | LA GOLF P-Series 135 White/Green

Titleist Pro V1x

Just had a fitting where I hit all this years new heads, along with the full g430 range and the new 10K.  The 10k with an AD di 6s felt like a cheat code.  Picked up 19 yards on my 400max and dispersion was so tight.  Spin average 2200 with 106 club speed.  Nothing below 2000 or above 2650.  

G430 max was too spinny, the LST just didn't feel right at all in any of the 4 shafts we tried.  Hated the TM range and Paradym went some but I wasn't consistent.  Only one that came close for me was the Cobra darkspeed.

I've not ventured into after market shafts before, but the difference with the AD was too much to ignore. 800gbp all in though 🤢

Edited by UKGolfer86
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, UKGolfer86 said:

Just had a fitting where I hit all this years new heads, along with the full g430 range and the new 10K.  The 10k with an AD di 6s felt like a cheat code.  Picked up 19 yards on my 400max and dispersion was so tight.  Spin average 2200 with 106 club speed.  Nothing below 2000 or above 2650.  

G430 max was too spinny, the LST just didn't feel right at all in any of the 4 shafts we tried.  Hated the TM range and Paradym went some but I wasn't consistent.  Only one that came close for me was the Cobra darkspeed.

I've not ventured into after market shafts before, but the difference with the AD was too much to ignore. 800gbp all in though 🤢

Did you hit the 10K in 10.5 or 9?  

8 hours ago, UKGolfer86 said:

People SHOULD NOT sleep on the Darkspeed! As far as distance and smash factor it almost knocked the Ping out of the bag. Plus it looks soooo good. Forgiveness wise it was pretty damn good too. I would not be surprised if at some point I don't pick one of these up and start messing around with it. I imagine if you put the big weight in the back it might pick up even more forgiveness. 

Edited by ad_l1b

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50 S Grind 54 D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: LAB DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS 

5 hours ago, ad_l1b said:

People SHOULD NOT sleep on the Darkspeed! As far as distance and smash factor it almost knocked the Ping out of the bag. Plus it looks soooo good. Forgiveness wise it was pretty damn good too. I would not be surprised if at some point I don't pick one of these up and start messing around with it. I imagine if you put the big weight in the back it might pick up even more forgiveness. 

For sure, i hit the Max and the X, X was definitely the one for me out of the 2.   I could quite happily play it, it was a decent jump better than my G400 MAX and the fitter originally said he thought the 10K was going to spin too much for me... yesterday was their first day with the 10k heads in the bay so didnt have much data to work with.  Well he was wrong, even set at 10.5 i was dropping 250-300 lower than my G400 MAX 9*.  10K turned down spun less, avg 2200, launching a little over 13 degrees, which i believe is pretty optimal with around 105mph swing?  I could be off.  I dont have all the data yet, hoping the fitter can send that to me today.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like the 10k has been designed to be in the middle. The forgiveness of the max, but less spinn and more weight in the back to improve the ballspeed.

I'm gonna hit PING on wednesday, no experiece with PING for years. What would be your guess what driver would suit me? My stock speed is 125-126mph in Trackman, say 129 in GC. AOA is around 4.5-5. 

I have struggled with spin in the past and played very low lofts, but not as fast as I used to be. 

Edited by SimonAgren

On 1/30/2024 at 6:54 AM, Carterlandini said:

Ok so I’ve been wondering why they haven’t released an LST version of the 10k that I was holding out for. I guess it sounds like there’s no need for one. I’ve got a MAX and an LST - time to test the 10k and maybe do a trade in.

You could make an even better trade, get rid of them both and get a TSR3.  It's longer/faster and launches higher than the LST, and is super forgiving. Best move I have made in years!

Edited by Golfinfloridaafter40
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

3 hours ago, SimonAgren said:

Seems like the 10k has been designed to be in the middle. The forgiveness of the max, but less spinn and more weight in the back to improve the ballspeed.

I'm gonna hit PING on wednesday, no experiece with PING for years. What would be your guess what driver would suit me? My stock speed is 125-126mph in Trackman, say 129 in GC. AOA is around 4.5-5. 

I have struggled with spin in the past and played very low lofts, but not as fast as I used to be. 

125 mph swing or ball speed?  Also, if you only need 100-400 rpm drop/increase in spin, the easiest and most cost effective thing to do is switch balls. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

39 minutes ago, Golfinfloridaafter40 said:

10k turned down in loft loses the 10k moi and lots of spin.  Same as an LST gains spin and moi if you loft it up

You could make an even better trade, get rid of them both and get a TSR3.  It's longer/faster and launches higher than the LST, and is super forgiving. Best move I have made in years!

How does adjusting loft affect MOI?  Never heard that one before. 

• Haha 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

I played the Ping G430 Max for a while, and recently moved into the G430 10k. I tested the LST and Max last year and settled in on the Max with Ventis Black 6x. Numbers were pretty good (and kind of a weird combo of shaft and head). Fast forward to last month, I got a 10k. I have had them both on the trackman and my FSK (usually all range sessions on FSK, unless indoors then I use a trackman at the academy I occasionally coach at). Spin is about the same on center shots as expected, to maybe slightly lower (maybe 150-200, but I do not middle my driver all the time so I haven't had it long enough to truly get a sense and really see tendencies, this is the reason why I chose the 430 max last year). In all other areas Numbers were more consistent or even slightly better (ball speed) on slightly toe shots especially in the 10k. One thing I did notice is that it doesn't go left, it will draw, but on those gross shots that should rope hook, it really doesn't. I think that is one of the benefits of this driver and where it will save some strokes. It is definitely easier to hit solid slight fades with this club than the 430 max. 

I had a great conversation with one of the lead fitters at Pete's Golf here on Long Island who are one of the top fitters in the Country (Sonny who is a friend whom I play a lot of golf with), and he spent two days training on the new PING products, got to Q and A the engineers (has some great insight on hot melt, MOI and the back weights in the new  10k, in relation to how easy it is to accidentally exceed the legal limit based on swing weight and length when adding weight to the head or changing the back weight for shorter driver lengths). His fitting experiences with the 10K has also mirrored my experience.  One thing he said and I would agree with but I don't have a lot of experience with the LST is that the 10k from a fitting perspective fits right in between the LST and Max. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Ventus Black 60x

Sim2 15* GD Tour Ad Hd 

Callaway X Hot pro 20* Hybrind Tour AD HD 95x

Srixon ZX-7 4-p Modus 120x

Vokey SM9 50, 54, 58

Lab Mezz Max C/B 

Just now, SimonAgren said:

Swing speed. Ball speed is around 190mph at best. 
I like the left dash ProV1X best 🙂

BEAST!!!  I rotate between the left dash and Vice Pro Plus.  Left dash is already low spin.  I'm gonna test the new CTX and TP5x.  '24 TP5x is supposed to be a more durable version of the left dash with higher ball speeds. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Currently gaming the 430 max (10.5).  Average spin is ~2500, which is slightly higher than optimal for me, but any less loft and i get too many sub 2000 spin.  Blindly bought a 10k (10.5) and so far it sits in the perfect window, 165 ball speed, 12-13 launch, 2200-2300 spin.  Im seeing forgiveness on high toe shots and spin stays at 2000+ unless I really smother it.  Sound is slightly louder (not any worse sounding, just louder) and feel is a bit more “solid”.  Going in the bag.

I’ve used the G430 10K for the last 6 rounds.  Middle of the winter and I’ve had 4 of the best driving rounds I’ve recently had.  Short games needs some brush up. And the greens are a little iffy after a harsh Jan.  But overall I am more than happy with the 10K.  Definitely worth the upgrade over the G430 Max.  As least for my game.

I tested the 10k max and the lst today with a PING fitter. I couldn’t feel where I hit it on the head with the 10k max. That’s MOI 😅. It didn’t fit my profile; you should probably have a lower AOA, closer to 0.

I hit the lst best. It was a ”slow” day for me, but I had great efficiency and good ball speed on the mishits. For me, as a higher AOA player, keeping the spin low enough on the hits lower on the head was great.

325 carry avg and good landing angles with good roll out. Not the fastest club for me, but I can see me hitting it with confidence and finding fairways.

My recommended setup:

PING 430 LST @ 8°

PING Tour 2.0 75x @ 45.5”

• 1 month later...

Long time reader, first time posting so bear with me. As folks are playing with the 10k longer, I'm wondering if it's feeling worth the upgrade from the Max. I've been playing the 9 degree Max with Tensei 1k Pro Orange for about 9 months now and feel like I'm still struggling to get spin and launch under control. I tend to be a higher launch and spin player anyway and am almost always fighting a right miss. I know much is likely swing related, however, I do also wonder if I could get a little more help from my set-up. Are you seeing an appreciable decrease in either launch or spin or both that would warrant an upgrade?