2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

My thoughts from another thread...

TD Max is HUGELY impressive in the golf course environment (where it REALLY counts, but I digress), particularly for players who don't spin the driver a ton, but in an indoor fitting bay it is not going to make TrackMan/GCQuad squeal like the OG Smoke TD or (insert knuckleball dispenser driver of your choice here). If Max TD was a full blown retail release, it would likely turn into that driver that the customer SHOULD choose but just can't make themselves do it because the other driver in the contest produced that occasional intoxicating nuclear missile... while wrapping them around a tree trunk on every other ball.

Think I've said it in other threads, but compared to Ai Smoke TD the Max TD doesn't have as high a distance ceiling but by comparison it is a bit like bowling with bumpers. Think today was my third round with Max TD in play, and every time out there have been drives where at impact I'm thinking "uh oh" only to look up and see a perfectly functional ball. Not taking me to places no driver has taken me before (while by no means being short), but it is saving me shots by giving me a clean look at a green that was thoroughly undeserved. Much to be said for that, obviously, as it's those differences that show up very clearly on the card (again, where it really counts).

this is spot on and reminds me when the tensei orange first came out and Tiger, Rory, Sergio, Rickie, and a slew of other pros where putting it in the bag, it was hailed the trackman king and I think everyone on the range increased speed...only a few months later guys swapped it out in favor of something else and in a sense only a few guys play it now. the problem with a range session type fitting is we all get into a rhythm with any club, on the course when we're "experimenting" on every tee box is where it counts. 

1 minute ago, Neo1 said:

this is spot on and reminds me when the tensei orange first came out and Tiger, Rory, Sergio, Rickie, and a slew of other pros where putting it in the bag, it was hailed the trackman king and I think everyone on the range increased speed...only a few months later guys swapped it out in favor of something else and in a sense only a few guys play it now. the problem with a range session type fitting is we all get into a rhythm with any club, on the course when we're "experimenting" on every tee box is where it counts. 

Pro Orange definitely had its "Flavor of the Month" moment, but it was always a niche product best suited to a player with rare combination of VERY smooth tempo (because the handle section in it was so soft) but also plenty of speed through impact (because the quite stiff midsection and tip). Swings like Ernie Else and Justin Rose come to mind as being well suited to Pro Orange. At the time of release it was quite unique and therefore generated a lot of curiosity. Personally I loved Pro Orange on my best swings, but found it to be very Jekyll and Hyde when my tempo went to pot and I got quick. The relatively soft handle seemed to make the results from those poor swings all the worse.

The trick for fitter and player is recognizing (and ultimately choosing) the most playable, repeatable, and score-able option in launch condition data rather than what simply makes us giggle. Too many fitters (and players) let the GC Quad or Trackman make the decision entirely for them rather than using this data to inform their choice. Might sound like the same thing, but it's not.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

3 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Some to just cash in on the trade in. I am somewhat bummed as a person not looking to just offload this right away and get fit first doing it the right way. 

2 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

TD Max is HUGELY impressive in the golf course environment (where it REALLY counts, but I digress), particularly for players who don't spin the driver a ton, but in an indoor fitting bay it is not going to make TrackMan/GCQuad squeal like the OG Smoke TD or (insert knuckleball dispenser driver of your choice here). If Max TD was a full blown retail release, it would likely turn into that driver that the customer SHOULD choose but just can't make themselves do it because the other driver in the contest produced that occasional intoxicating nuclear missile... while wrapping them around a tree trunk on every other ball.

Think I've said it in other threads, but compared to Ai Smoke TD the Max TD doesn't have as high a distance ceiling but by comparison it is a bit like bowling with bumpers. Think today was my third round with Max TD in play, and every time out there have been drives where at impact I'm thinking "uh oh" only to look up and see a perfectly functional ball. Not taking me to places no driver has taken me before (while by no means being short), but it is saving me shots by giving me a clean look at a green that was thoroughly undeserved. Much to be said for that, obviously, as it's those differences that show up very clearly on the card (again, where it really counts).

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

In my first range session with the TDM I also noticed a few "oh that was a bad swing" balls that went dead straight and much longer than any previous experience my brain has had with that type of feel/feedback on the face.

I think the Paradym Tour has more onset than this head does which is what contributes to the fade bias of the PDT. The TDM has more offset and is easier to turn over but still less than a retail draw model, obviously. It's very subtle.

@Rbsiedsc I was hoping to wait for a demo head to try too. I asked a retailer if they were going to get any and they said probably not. So i was waiting for reviewsbefore buying. Then callaway online stock sold out. Then i found out they were coming to retail in very limited quantities. I was able to get one from a retailer. But i had to buy it and then test it.  So i did. And i was disappointed. I play std paradym which ive tested against smoke max. Paradym and smoke max were the exact same driver for me. 3d max and paradym testing showed no increase in ballspeed. Same launch.

3d max had Higher spin with 10g back and same spin with 10g forward. Better dispersion with 10g back and worse dispersion with 10g forward. 

So I went home and put it for sale for what I put into it plus shipping. 

While I waited for it to sell,I hit it more. I made a slight swingweight tweak and then I started to see improvement. Basically got it to where it was equal in all ways (on a launch monitor) to the paradym. That just reinforced that I would sell it. 

But, after my round Saturday, I decided to give it a comparison to Paradym on the range...full flight, no launch monitor, just swing away. I was rather surprised...3d max just took off in a higher window but not balloony. Driver after drive...up and away. As others have said, hit one just a bit off and expect to see it going offline and look up and it's tracking like it was struck perfectly. That made me think I needed a true head to head, on-course. So I pulled it from.bst and will do that test soon.

Launch monitor says it's the same driver as paradym. With paradym, I hit a ton of fairways. 36 hole event this week3nd and I missed 2 or 3 fairways total...that's what paradym and smoke max do.  But my miss with paradym is a ball the starts on a left line and goes dead straight. 3d max starts dead online over and over and over. So, 3d max could make the bag if it shows tight dispersion on course. 

You're waiting for a demo head when all the answers you need have been provided. It's better but not as long as 3d. It's basically the same as smoke max. 

@bcflyguy1 agree 100% with your takes on 3d max. There is no long ball. There is no fast uptick in this head. clay long showed paradym std with a ct of 254 and 3d max at 240. Same loft. Center of gravity basically the same. 3d max is basically a Smoke max with 3d shaping. But a very good driver.

@third-times-a-charm agree with the "oh that was a bad swing" stuff. I hit them on the range about an hour after playing Saturday. It was hot. I was tired. i was swinging hard...and 3d max was pumping out ball after ball of 10 yard fades. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

Goes to show you never REALLY know until balls start flying down range.

100%, I was actually thinking when I ordered that I wished it came in 8*.  I am typically a high ball hitter, like really high, and have had my best driving with 8 to 8.5* drivers.  I as pleasantly surprised at the flight of this for me.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Well, you're better off than me,  Mine went from shipping 6/11 to 8/30 overnight from Saturday to Sunday 😞

Yes...better than most.  If I got delayed until August, I'd just cancel my order.  That is ridiculous.  Sorry it's not working out smoothly for you.  

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

16 minutes ago, ANimz said:

Yes...better than most.  If I got delayed until August, I'd just cancel my order.  That is ridiculous.  Sorry it's not working out smoothly for you.  

If I had to guess, the heads slated to arrive in August will likely just be to fill orders made after they ran out of heads the first time. 

WITB Link

1 hour ago, bcflyguy1 said:

If I had to guess, the heads slated to arrive in August will likely just be to fill orders made after they ran out of heads the first time. 

Probably true! 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 minute ago, joshfisher said:

At least you have an uldate. Ordered from fairwaygolf over a week ago and still 0 updates...

They arent known for good communication.

Unrelated to your specific comment but on the 8.5 heads; the tour issue TD M 8.5 release from them and other high end fitters has zero to do with the retail head release from Callaway. The selling and building of those heads is seperate from all of the 9 and 10.5 models with F serials.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

5 hours ago, fjk said:

I see very few comparisons to AI smoke max. 

TD had better “best” numbers than standard max for me but max was just way easier and more consistent getting balls in play. Fit at outdoor range on gc quad.

curious for the opinion of those who liked standard max vs TD max.  

This was my question. Currently game standard ai smoke max and really like it. It’s lower spin than most max models I’ve noticed. I have heard the TD max spins more on average than the standard max. Has anyone seen this that has compared both? 

4 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

I see TDM as having less PUSH bias than TD (difference in start line rather than curvature) rather than fade bias; would you agree?

Think this is a main reason why I get along with it so well, as my killer miss with driver is the bombed straight block.

100% agree with this statement. 

I have been saying of smoke TD I do not see any fade bias but more of a right start line bias with little to none gear effect on slight toe misses sending it straight right lol. I am actually curious how much bulge I have on my driver face as it is pretty amazing how little it does gear comparatively to other low spin heads I have tried.

I just added a degree of loft and made it upright for the sole purposes of the start line and its been fine from there. Kinda tightened things up. Did what Xander did to his TD face and sharpied some lines to align the face better. 

6 hours ago, fjk said:

I see very few comparisons to AI smoke max. 

TD had better “best” numbers than standard max for me but max was just way easier and more consistent getting balls in play. Fit at outdoor range on gc quad.

curious for the opinion of those who liked standard max vs TD max.  

I had the Max and went to the TDM. The Max was more forgiving for sure but at the expense of launching too high. Spin was higher but manageable. The main thing I am noticing is if I try to hit a pull-cut, the Max just stayed more left. I never had any issues with a slice on the TDM but I could bring it back to center easier. Still more draw biased than the QI10 for sure and similar to a TSR3. Had some issues with blocks but those were bad swings. I’m liking it but still really figuring it out. I almost immediately saw I needed to tee the Max low. This is not the case with the TDM. It’s not point and shoot yet but will 

need more time to get to that point. My biggest problem is out range has been under renovation and we can’t hit anything longer than 165 yards. So on course is my only experimentation.  

1 hour ago, awtryau89 said:

I had the Max and went to the TDM. The Max was more forgiving for sure but at the expense of launching too high. Spin was higher but manageable. The main thing I am noticing is if I try to hit a pull-cut, the Max just stayed more left. I never had any issues with a slice on the TDM but I could bring it back to center easier. Still more draw biased than the QI10 for sure and similar to a TSR3. Had some issues with blocks but those were bad swings. I’m liking it but still really figuring it out. I almost immediately saw I needed to tee the Max low. This is not the case with the TDM. It’s not point and shoot yet but will 

need more time to get to that point. My biggest problem is out range has been under renovation and we can’t hit anything longer than 165 yards. So on course is my only experimentation.  

Interesting feedback. Have read several places that the td max is actually higher spin than the standard max which I find to be interesting 

Problem solved.  Hit the local GG.  They had two TD Max in 9.0 in stock.  Took my Darkspeed X in got $510 in the 2X trade so walked out with only $99 out of pocket. 

• Like 2

Vokey

2 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'm starting to think Callaway is engaging in "engineered scarcity" on these limited releases. The Rahm putter, the Jailbird and now this driver. It's a pretty good way to drive online hype/engagement without having to spend much on promo. 

Yep. Like Retro Jordans. Make em want it… without needing it. 
great marketing. 
And they are killing it!  
and it help me clean out some ol Dustys I’ll never use. 
cheers 🍻 

If anyone is really desperate for one now I may be able to assist. I tore my rotator cuff and will be having surgery in a couple of weeks.. that will end my golf this season 

• Sad 3

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

4 minutes ago, tigercolt77 said:

If anyone is really desperate for one now I may be able to assist. I tore my rotator cuff and will be having surgery in a couple of weeks.. that will end my golf this season 

Sorry to hear! 

Vokey

23 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Sorry to hear!

I'm not sure what's worse, missing golf for months or how mad my wife is that I got hurt.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali black 

Callaway UW Denali blue 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5 

9 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

@Studliness this is likely why.

WITB Link

2 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Problem solved.  Hit the local GG.  They had two TD Max in 9.0 in stock.  Took my Darkspeed X in got $510 in the 2X trade so walked out with only $99 out of pocket. 

Looking at the loft, does this driver launch higher or lower than the regular Triple Diamond?

Anyone know how it launches compared to last year’s Paradym Triple Diamond?

I play 9 degrees in some heads and 10.5 in others. Trying to determine how this the TD Max might fit in. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

30 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Looking at the loft, does this driver launch higher or lower than the regular Triple Diamond?

Anyone know how it launches compared to last year’s Paradym Triple Diamond?

I play 9 degrees in some heads and 10.5 in others. Trying to determine how this the TD Max might fit in. 

I’ve been playing the Paradym TD in 10.5 but I bought this head in 9.0. No regrets so far. Launches pretty high. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

my local GG also is showing 2 in stock and i am looking to trade in a TD for the TDM.   how did you get $510 in trade though - i just checked the site and the darkspeed x is showing $220?  

its also only showing $240 for the triple diamond im looking to trade in.  thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, blown93302 said:

my local GG also is showing 2 in stock and i am looking to trade in a TD for the TDM.   how did you get $510 in trade though - i just checked the site and the darkspeed x is showing $220?  

its also only showing $240 for the triple diamond im looking to trade in.  thoughts? 

You have to go into the store and have them process the trade to get the bonus. And supposedly some GG stores won’t do it. But I bet if you can get them

to check with Callaway, they’ll see it is fine to approve the trade bonus and will do it. It really makes no difference to Golf Galaxy, so they have incentive to honor it. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I had the Max and picked a TDM @ 9.0 from local Golfmart on Friday. Tried the regular TD when I bought the Max originally and launch was just a little low and right for my liking. 

The Max was great but lofted it down to 8.0 and still found it launched too high and it wasn't a shaft issue. I have the TDM lofted UP to 10 degrees now just to close the face a touch and have been very pleased. Penetrating ball flight and think it sounds better than the Max. Know people have said this thing doesn't have a long ball in it but I have found otherwise. My miss tends to also be toeside and this handles that outstandingly. 

Was all geared up for GT2/3 launch as well and honestly can't see how either one of those would beat this. 

Using a GD Tour AD HD 6S shaft...

Edited by Gundee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

You have to go into the store and have them process the trade to get the bonus. And supposedly some GG stores won’t do it. But I bet if you can get them

to check with Callaway, they’ll see it is fine to approve the trade bonus and will do it. It really makes no difference to Golf Galaxy, so they have incentive to honor it. 

ok, so the trade value that i see on the GG site is not what they'll give me..... instead they'll process the trade through callaway and will get the callaway values?  thanks again - shows two in stock so will head over first thing when they open

1 minute ago, blown93302 said:

ok, so the trade value that i see on the GG site is not what they'll give me..... instead they'll process the trade through callaway and will get the callaway values?  thanks again - shows two in stock so will head over first thing when they open

Not sure which value they give you. But @Carolina Golfer 2 just did this so perhaps he can chime in with how it works on that.