2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Trying to decide what to do with my wedges

aquapig

For reference, if it matters, I'm about a 2 index right now. I have a steepish swing. I play in Florida and my course is typically very soft. Ofcourse there are some hard pan areas around some greens when chipping. 

I know I'm in a minority but I play 3 different brand wedges right now. Old SM5 Vokey 50, newer Mizuno T22 54, and a 58 Jaws.

I'd like to replace them and get on brand and stick with the 50, 54, 58 setup. 

Any suggestions?

@aquapig, I live north of Tampa.  Seems like rain season never stopped this year, so lots of soft/wet turf.  Mixed in with hardpan.

I've always got both a high-bounce (usually my sand wedge) and low-bounce option in my bag.    High-bounce for the wet turf and low bounce for the hardpan.

Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, TM are all viable options.  So is Mizuno, I gamed them for years and was happy with the results.

Go to your local store and hit the same loft from the different brands - see what fits your eye and what works for you.  Then build a 50/54/58 with that brand.

Good luck!

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

1 minute ago, hagimihale said:

@aquapig, I live north of Tampa.  Seems like rain season never stopped this year, so lots of soft/wet turf.  Mixed in with hardpan.

I've always got both a high-bounce (usually my sand wedge) and low-bounce option in my bag.    High-bounce for the wet turf and low bounce for the hardpan.

Vokey, Cleveland, Callaway, TM are all viable options.  So is Mizuno, I gamed them for years and was happy with the results.

Go to your local store and hit the same loft from the different brands - see what fits your eye and what works for you.  Then build a 50/54/58 with that brand.

Good luck!

Thank you.

I live in Palm Harbor and I'm a member at Ardea CC and play Cooperhead a few times a year as well.

As far as going into one of the big box stores, I've done that to look at the different wedged, but hitting wedges off a matt doesn't really help much IMO. 

Titleist is having a demo day in a few weeks at my club so I plan to go hit some of their Vokeys and hopefully the rep is helpful with helping me decide which grinds are best for me. 

1 minute ago, aquapig said:

Thank you.

I live in Palm Harbor and I'm a member at Ardea CC and play Cooperhead a few times a year as well.

As far as going into one of the big box stores, I've done that to look at the different wedged, but hitting wedges off a matt doesn't really help much IMO. 

Titleist is having a demo day in a few weeks at my club so I plan to go hit some of their Vokeys and hopefully the rep is helpful with helping me decide which grinds are best for me. 

If you have a demo day coming up at your club just wait for that will be the best. 

Obviously could be more ideal to look at all brands but if you get a fit and spec sheet can see if other brands grinds and bounce match if you want to go another route. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

5 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

If you have a demo day coming up at your club just wait for that will be the best. 

Obviously could be more ideal to look at all brands but if you get a fit and spec sheet can see if other brands grinds and bounce match if you want to go another route. 

Yeah that's the plan right now.

I'm opened to any brand but it's time to get some consistency in the bottom of my bag. 

Hoping to have a better understanding of all the different grinds on the Vokey wedges as I've never really understood them. 

@aquapig Here's a few suggestions you might not have thought of?

Ping S159 Wedges, Ping has really stepped up their Wedge Game and added lots of grinds & options.

Edison Wedges, This guy is a wedge guy and offers a very good wedge that might fit your needs? Check him out.

Artisan if you can find them or get you hands on them.

Best of luck, The turf in Florida can be tricky, but I'm sure you can find a nice set of matching wedges to fit your needs.

Rich 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

@aquapig Here's a few suggestions you might not have thought of?

Ping S159 Wedges, Ping has really stepped up their Wedge Game and added lots of grinds & options.

Edison Wedges, This guy is a wedge guy and offers a very good wedge that might fit your needs? Check him out.

Artisan if you can find them or get you hands on them.

Best of luck, The turf in Florida can be tricky, but I'm sure you can find a nice set of matching wedges to fit your needs.

Rich 

Just did a quick search on Artisan wedges. Used wedges on ebay for 250-350 ?? Do these wedges magically work better than others? Or is this just a high end wedge that some folks buy to show off? I'm trying to be condescending, just wondering what makes these high priced wedges so great?

No LOL, They are Forged, and hand ground. Actually if you go to a fitting at Artisan it's a very informative fitting session, expensive but truly the best way to find wedges that fit your game.

Watch a few videos on You Tube, Mike Taylor is well known as the guy who built Tiger Woods irons & Wedges. He is very respected in this segment.

Thanks

Rich

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hagimihale said:

Good luck!

I’m in St Pete and play all over the area. Firm believer that you need a low to mid bounce option and then a high one due to the ever changing conditions. 

I really like wedges with the hydrophobic coatings for those early morning rounds when everything is wet. Ping and Mizuno have hydrophobic coatings but not sure on the other manufacturers. I just ordered some T24 wedges but judging by the pics of the S159 those look like a great option too. 

Edited by Jmccas
  • Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

7 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

I’m in St lete

I’m in St Pete and play all over the area. Firm believer that you need a low to mid bounce option and then a high one due to the ever changing conditions. 

I really like wedges with the hydrophobic coatings for those early morning rounds when everything is wet. Ping and Mizuno have hydrophobic coatings but not sure on the other manufacturers. I just ordered some T24 wedges but judging by the pics of the S159 those look like a great option too. 

Would low bounce 50, mid 54 and high bounce 58 make sense? Or are you suggesting a backup set?

25 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

No LOL, They are Forged, and hand ground. Actually if you go to a fitting at Artisan it's a very informative fitting session, expensive but truly the best way to find wedges that fit your game.

Watch a few videos on You Tube, Mike Taylor is well known as the guy who built Tiger Woods irons & Wedges. He is very respected in this segment.

Thanks

Rich

Interesting..I guess if money isn't a variable and you have the ability to do a fitting with them, then maybe it makes sense. Still seems kinda steep for clubs you may change every 12 months or so. 

@aquapig It does and I agree, but you ask what's my best option, you didn't give me a budget!

Lol I'm just kidding of course but some guys Fly Airplanes, Some guys Boat, some guys want the very best equipment, it's all how a guys wants to spend his money.

All kidding aside. For the Budget minded guy the new Ping S159 Wedges look great, I actually have a set on order and can't wait to give them a try.

Rich 

4 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

@aquapig It does and I agree, but you ask what's my best option, you didn't give me a budget!

Lol I'm just kidding of course but some guys Fly Airplanes, Some guys Boat, some guys want the very best equipment, it's all how a guys wants to spend his money.

All kidding aside. For the Budget minded guy the new Ping S159 Wedges look great, I actually have a set on order and can't wait to give them a try.

Rich 

Understood and thanks for the suggestions.

I just never really understood the whole PXG thing when they were like 4x the price of most irons. 

Those Artisans look great, and I'm not so much on a budget, I just have to see some real value in spending a premium price for something. 

Seems all the big manufacturers are around 150-180 range on new wedges. 

12 minutes ago, 1s1k said:

I would go other way around if you're playing softer conditions

50- mid to high bounce

54- high bounce

58- low bounce

Thanks..It'll be interesting to see how the demo day goes with Titleist next month. It will be nice to be able to try them in my home driving range and see what works best. 

@aquapig Your welcome. The Artisan Wedges are the cream of the crop. Forged, Hand Ground to fit each players swing and needs, I'm a Big Fan and it's not everywhere you can get that kind of attention to detail on your game. I'm sure it has to make a big difference. Maybe someday I'll sign up and make a trip out of it. In the mean time, I'm kinda a wedge Junkie and have tried and experimented with lots & lots of wedges.

I do like the fact that Ping has stepped up their wedge game, built the S159's and added some new grinds and bounces. I also like the fact they offer it in Hydro Pearl finish and it's right in line with all the other big Mfg. Worth taking a look for sure.

Rich 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

@aquapig Your welcome. The Artisan Wedges are the cream of the crop. Forged, Hand Ground to fit each players swing and needs, I'm a Big Fan and it's not everywhere you can get that kind of attention to detail on your game. I'm sure it has to make a big difference. Maybe someday I'll sign up and make a trip out of it. In the mean time, I'm kinda a wedge Junkie and have tried and experimented with lots & lots of wedges.

I do like the fact that Ping has stepped up their wedge game, built the S159's and added some new grinds and bounces. I also like the fact they offer it in Hydro Pearl finish and it's right in line with all the other big Mfg. Worth taking a look for sure.

Rich 

So you haven't played the Artisans yet? Do you need to go to Texas to do the fitting?

Yes I have set, but did not go through the fitting, and yes to get the full fitting experience you have to go there. Artisan does not sell their wedges off a web site, but you can find them if you look hard enough. I live in Indiana and do my own club building so I bought heads, built them and bent them till I was satisfied.

3 minutes ago, RHenderson said:

Yes I have set, but did not go through the fitting, and yes to get the full fitting experience you have to go there. Artisan does not sell their wedges off a web site, but you can find them if you look hard enough. I live in Indiana and do my own club building so I bought heads, built them and bent them till I was satisfied.

What made you switch to the Pings?

Like I said I'm a Wedge Junkie, I own several sets probably 7-8? I ordered the new Ping Blue Print S irons and wanted a set of Wedges to match them. I also play a lot of different golf courses and types of grass so I like to have sets that are specific to the playing conditions, if I like a set really well I'll even duplicate it so I have a back up set.

For me if I find certain things in a set of wedges I like better vrs another set I'll keep that set or wedge for a specific course. I just like experimenting with Wedges, there's not a much better feeling when your 120 yards out and know you can stick it close for a birdie or eagle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aquapig said:

Would low bounce 50, mid 54 and high bounce 58 make sense? Or are you suggesting a backup set?

I would recommend your 50 being close to your normal iron set bounce. Usually I buy the set gap wedge but if I buy a specialty wedge, I want the wedge to match the bounce of my PW. I also only use my gap wedge for full swings. 

• Like 1

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

2 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

I would recommend your 50 being close to your normal iron set bounce. Usually I buy the set gap wedge but if I buy a specialty wedge, I want the wedge to match the bounce of my PW. I also only use my gap wedge for full swings. 

Makes sense. I've never really like set gap wedges, so I go PW, then 50, 54, 58.

Someone suggested going higher bounce on 50 and then working my way down in bounce from 54 to 58.

But I want my gap to be closer to my PW as you suggest. 

31 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Makes sense. I've never really like set gap wedges, so I go PW, then 50, 54, 58.

Someone suggested going higher bounce on 50 and then working my way down in bounce from 54 to 58.

But I want my gap to be closer to my PW as you suggest. 

There is not really a "low" bounce option in the gap wedge space. Most only have one grind being around that 9-10* mid bounce.

One that have multiple bounce options are vokeys with an 8 and 12* but they are still full bounce soles the difference being the sole widths.

3 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

There is not really a "low" bounce option in the gap wedge space. Most only have one grind being around that 9-10* mid bounce.

One that have multiple bounce options are vokeys with an 8 and 12* but they are still full bounce soles the difference being the sole widths.

Ok I'm clueless when it comes to all the different offerings.

I assumed a 8 Vokey would have less bounce than a 12. 

4 minutes ago, aquapig said:

Ok I'm clueless when it comes to all the different offerings.

I assumed a 8 Vokey would have less bounce than a 12. 

the shape profile of the sole is the same but just the fact one is wider thus having more camber is why it has more bounce than the other. 

3 hours ago, aquapig said:

For reference, if it matters, I'm about a 2 index right now. I have a steepish swing. I play in Florida and my course is typically very soft. Ofcourse there are some hard pan areas around some greens when chipping. 

I know I'm in a minority but I play 3 different brand wedges right now. Old SM5 Vokey 50, newer Mizuno T22 54, and a 58 Jaws.

I'd like to replace them and get on brand and stick with the 50, 54, 58 setup. 

Any suggestions?

My index is 4, and play all types of turf, hard pan, firm, soft, fluffy and mushy/wet conditions in multiple states.

The T100 PW (D4) with progressive bounce, has an MMT 105s scoring wedge (113g) shaft, and other two wedges are SM9 F52/12  (D5) and M58/8 (D7) with (129g) DGS200 shafts.  Each wedge has different specs and bounce, allowing me to handle any conditions.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I picked up an Edison from here a few weeks ago and have been loving it. Shockingly, AZ and FL have similar turn conditions (bermuda problems and tight lies with overwatered collars) and the V sole has been pretty spot on so far. I still keep a wide wide sole for bunkers, cause I like just squaring it up and letting the club fall. It's majestic and I'll probably never practice bunker shots when I can just do that.

It’s going to be a preference thing. For my money, SM10 is close to perfect for my eye — I’ll make the switch when my raw order arrives (50,54,60), despite the BISC (which pains me). But there are some great shapes out there.

TSR3 8 15 (18), Ventus TR Black 6x 7x (8x)

ZX MkII 20*, Ventus Black HB 9TX

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350, (Coggin Gauge R carbon 33 350, LA 135g)

13 hours ago, aquapig said:

Copperhead is nice.  Although I prefer the layout on the South course.  Played each twice last year.  

Agree with you regarding hitting wedges on mats.  Turf interaction is so important, and no mat gives me the same feedback.    You are much better off waiting until the Titleist demo day.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

14 hours ago, aquapig said:

Yeah that's the plan right now.

I'm opened to any brand but it's time to get some consistency in the bottom of my bag. 

Hoping to have a better understanding of all the different grinds on the Vokey wedges as I've never really understood them. 

I played Vokeys for some years, very good wedges. But I think they have gotten almost too specialized with grind varieties that now seem to be multiplying like rabbits.

Difficulty I have is that I play all over the place. Now live in central NJ, courses commonly have bentgrass,  long but relatively loose root systems. Also play a lot in Texas and Florida (in fact, house hunting in the Tampa/Sarasota area right now). Where the normal bermuda is very different - shallow but very dense root systems (which is why it can withstand scorching summer heat so well). Even have to alter my swing. Usually a digger doing healthy divots in the north, but I'd break my wrists if I hit down that hard in the south - so swing slightly flattens, and I become more of a picker ... lean towards brushing the grass instead of "clean up on aisle 5".

And because I have to adjust to so many different course conditions, my primary variable in choosing wedges grinds has to do with versatility. They need to be able to adapt to a wide variety of conditions and turfs. 

Discovered Miura wedges a couple years ago. They look very simplistic, but in practice I've found the grinds to be positively brilliant. With slight changes in grip, stance, and swing, way different turf interactions get exposed. It's like having five different Vokey grinds in a single club depending on how you tweak your setup. 

Am currently playing a 52* low-medium bounce, and a 58* high bounce. When combined with a 46* Mizzy MP 20 MMC PW (with a small offset, fairly low bounce, and a leading edge so precise I feel like I could pick a ball off a cart path), I've got three clubs that all work from 100 yards in, no matter what the conditions or turf. 

Problem is that Miuras are expensive (relatively speaking), and (most importantly) have virtually none of the retail distribution other OEMs have in the US. I do not think I have ever actually seen any Miura clubs in a big box US store anywhere. I stumbled across them because I was fortunate enough to have a buddy that had some, and fell in love the minute I hit one. (The fact that the first time I hit one I holed out from the sand probably helped heehee.) But it would be difficult to try them. Don't think there are any Miura "demo days" at clubs like Titleist, TM, Cally and others so commonly run. 

But - if you're on the hunt for a new configuration at the short end of your bag, and you somehow get a chance to try Miura wedges - you might find it well worth the effort. They are a bit obscure, but I think there's a few other guys on WRX that are also fans. 

PS. They're pretty freakin' sexy.

1000004279.jpg

1000004281.jpg

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST