2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Can I hit blades?

AndyinCincy

Unless you're one of those, "I'm a 12 cap but that's because my putting sucks but ball striking is awesome" type of golfers(sarcasm), you should try before you buy.  Blades are pretty punishing unless your miss is slightly heel side and/or your low point control is good.  Also, the benefit of MB over CB or GI is that they are easier to work as in high/low/curve. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

44 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Unless you're one of those, "I'm a 12 cap but that's because my putting sucks but ball striking is awesome" type of golfers(sarcasm), you should try before you buy.  Blades are pretty punishing unless your miss is slightly heel side and/or your low point control is good.  Also, the benefit of MB over CB or GI is that they are easier to work as in high/low/curve. 

Had an ironic chuckle reading this...

If you unplug "putting" and replace it with "tee game," that could well have described me 20 years ago.  Though, I would also replace "ball striking" with "reasonable ability to hit the center of the clubface."  😉

It's hard to score in golf when you average a couple penalty strokes per round.  

I was a baseball player, who migrated to softball, and didn't start playing golf until around my 35th birthday.  I was also very much a pull hitter; not conducive to low scoring in golf.  Spent my last five years working hard to hit the ball the other way.  Also, not particularly conducive to low scoring.

I had little trouble hitting the middle of the clubface, but I couldn't find a fairway worth a damn.  I also had serious directional trouble with irons, in both directions.  Not hooks and slices, but pushes and pulls.

I like to think I'm not alone in the universe.  Maybe I really am the golf version of Nessie.  Who can say?  Ultimately, doesn't matter.  🙂

So I always say, full steam ahead, and try them, you just never know.  

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, phizzy30 said:

What if you’ve broken 80 with 40 putts?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Don’t at me laugh I’ve actually done this! Lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AFcelica said:

Don’t at me laugh I’ve actually done this! Lol

Wait, your previous post wasn't a joke?!  I took it as a joke, lol.  My bad.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

At the end of the day, they're just <expletive deleted> golf clubs. 😛 

• Like 4

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

I've posted this probably a 100 times but I'll go ahead and do it again. I'm 71 and have played blades some years and have played Ping G series some years. I can suck with either one and I can shoot in the 70's with either one. Not once did I start the season with blades after playing the prior year with G410's and have my scores skyrocket.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

I've posted this probably a 100 times but I'll go ahead and do it again. I'm 71 and have played blades some years and have played Ping G series some years. I can suck with either one and I can shoot in the 70's with either one. Not once did I start the season with blades after playing the prior year with G410's and have my scores skyrocket.

"Skyrocket" is a relative term - means different things to different people.

That aside, did you keep track of all your early season scores and which clubs you used and used the previous year ?

Or is this just how you (generally) remember it ?

I mean, the older I get the farther my home runs used to go. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

"Skyrocket" is a relative term - means different things to different people.

That aside, did you keep track of all your early season scores and which clubs you used and used the previous year ?

Or is this just how you (generally) remember it ?

I mean, the older I get the farther my home runs used to go. :classic_biggrin:

Yea, I know what you mean. I did when I used shot scope but my league scores were tracked. In league my scores will vary from a 38-44 no matter what's in my bag for irons. Disclaimer, I don't put anything lower than a 6 iron in the bag ever. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

1 hour ago, braincramp52 said:

Yea, I know what you mean. I did when I used shot scope but my league scores were tracked. In league my scores will vary from a 38-44 no matter what's in my bag for irons. Disclaimer, I don't put anything lower than a 6 iron in the bag ever. 

Fair enough. 👍

Ping Glide Pro 48*

5 hours ago, njmack said:

This thread has me thinking I'll pick up a blade 8i/7i just to practice ballstriking lol I like the forgiveness of a CB or players GI on course, though

Something to look for are last years demo clubs.  Usually in 6 or 7 iron heads, depending on brand.  It is pretty easy to find a Mizuno 221 demo 7-iron for $40.  I actually picked up some MP20s, MP18, 221/223/225 and some P770 and P7MC heads fairly cheap that way.  I also grabbed a Cobra CB and MB forged heads in 6-iron, brand spanking new in the wrapper,  for $32.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

19 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

At the end of the day, unless you play tournament golf or bet heavily your scores really don't matter as long as you enjoyed the game. I realize playing poorly leaves some in a bad mood but not all poor rounds are directly attributed to style of irons. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter what club is in your hand. If Super game improvement irons made the game so much easier, handicaps over the years would have gone down a lot. They haven't.

Yup this. I will add however that if you think you can’t hit blades. Then you can’t. I’ve seen people have a mental block over it and it’s real. Shank and top a blade 8iron because their so afraid of it then take a ap2 5 iron and stripe it 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, braincramp52 said:

At the end of the day, unless you play tournament golf or bet heavily your scores really don't matter as long as you enjoyed the game. I realize playing poorly leaves some in a bad mood but not all poor rounds are directly attributed to style of irons. A bad shot is a bad shot no matter what club is in your hand. If Super game improvement irons made the game so much easier, handicaps over the years would have gone down a lot. They haven't.

1st is definitely true.

Handicaps ? 2 years ago Golf magazine suggested that about 12% of golfers kept a handicap.

I would imagine that most golfers who keep a handicap are at least somewhat dedicated/serious about playing.

So imo, not a great sample size for any such conclusion.

• Like 1

Ping Glide Pro 48*

5 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

1st is definitely true.

Handicaps ? 2 years ago Golf magazine suggested that about 12% of golfers kept a handicap.

I would imagine that most golfers who keep a handicap are at least somewhat dedicated/serious about playing.

So imo, not a great sample size for any such conclusion.

That's true. It just seems to me the only way to truly lower your scores is to play. You can't buy a game, lord knows I've tried.😅

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2024 at 12:07 PM, AFcelica said:

Yup this. I will add however that if you think you can’t hit blades. Then you can’t. I’ve seen people have a mental block over it and it’s real. Shank and top a blade 8iron because their so afraid of it then take a ap2 5 iron and stripe it 🤷‍♂️

This is what we all know (or should know). Golf is a physical and mental game. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:12 PM, southpaw72 said:

Buy them if you want them. 

Anyone can play blades. Maybe they’re not the best for everyone, but that’s beside the point. We play golf for fun. If they make you have fun do it. 

You said you’re not a pro so maybe they’re not for you, but since you don’t make your living playing golf that’s all the more reason they ARE for you. Life’s short. Play what makes you happy. Play blades. 

How does one get "lefty boomer" put under their name? Id like to apply please, thanks

On 3/8/2024 at 7:41 PM, MountainKing said:

Anybody can, the real question is should you.

This for me sums up this question. Anyone that can hit a golf ball in any way, shape or form can play blades. They’re not impossible. Should you be playing blades? We can’t tell the OP that, they need to decide that for themselves based on their game. In my time I’ve seen many a low handicapper play shovels and play well and many a high handicapper play blades because they like the look.

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Taylormade TP5x/Pro v1 (still up for debate)

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

There’s a lot of over thinking that goes on with this topic. It’s lumps of metal on the end of a stick. Different people will react in different ways to the visual or weight or flex etc. 

Most people won’t notice a difference in scoring mainly because people have already adapted their bags. 

Think of a typical round where a high handicap shoots 90. Take out drives, fairway woods, hybrids, wedges, chips and putts how many shots are we talking about really? Now take out 8,9 and PW as hitting those isn’t really noticeable and you’re left with what 5 swings a round where the ‘more forgiving’ club might help on a mishit. 

• Like 2

Several offseasons ago and 1 too many bourbons into a winter evening I stumbled upon a set of J15MBs here. When they arrived I thought no way I can pull this off, but figured it could be good practice for my ballstriking. One good range session turned into a good round, which turned into a good golf getaway, which soon after turned into my first hole in one. They've been in my bag ever since and I haven't even looked at another iron in 5 years.

Give it a shot, you'll never know until you try. I'm probably a 4ish cap that always used some sort of cavity back iron previously, from forgiving to players style.

• Like 1

I started playing blades when I was around an 5 handicap, because I figured it would MAKE me improve my ball striking. It definitely did.

Only downside, you'll get hooked on them. I don't like the look of any other clubs when I'm looking down at them because they seem huge, and my brain knows I can't turn the ball as well with them.

Gamed t100s lately as my rounds decreased.  Also had shoulder surgery.  Spent 2 years trying to keep my front shoulder in an lead with it.  Put together a Sunday Bag with 10 clubs to carry on days when the exercise was the key.  Grabed some Miura made Titleist 660s out of my basement for this bag.  10/12 rounds later, those 660s forced me to focus on this so much, that I am striking the ball as good as when I was playing all the time.

You might go back to the 790s and might ultimately like them better, but if you have any amount of athleticism and attention for detail, you will have learned something from playing the blades.  It is worth it, IMO.

What I learned is that the PW in my 660s at 48 degrees is as long as the PW in my t100 at 44 degrees, only with more spin and a better, boring trajectory.  With long irons, the blades are 1/2 club further with the same lofts.  Also, one of my main mishits is a bit thin and the ball will still stop with the blades.  The blades also get through the rough better.  This has nothing to do with the clubs, but I also learned that x100 are the best iron shaft ever made (for me) and that all of the stuff that they say about PX, Rifle, Modus, SteelFiber, etc. is just likely bunk.

• Like 1

Personally definitely hitting more blade like irons improve your accuracy even though you might not like it in the first month

TaylorMade Qi10 Fairway Tour 3-Wood w/ Mitsubishi Kaili Blue 7X

Titleist U505 3UI w/ Project X HZRDUS RDX Black 8X

Titleist T150 5i, 6i w/ Project X True Temper S300

Titleist T100 7i~Pi w/ Project X True Temper S300

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM10 52F, 56M, 60T w/ Project X True Temper S400

Callaway Ai-One Rossie S Putter