2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pressure shift to lead side, conscious move?

Again none of you have explained the golf swing. You have theory’s which don’t implicit a golf swing. Great you make money at it. Still can’t tell me.

A piano teacher tells you in which time to play a note. You can’t tell that to a motion no matter what you say.

• Haha 2

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

Sim Max 18 Ventus Blk 8x

P760 3/4 PX7.0

P730 5-P PX7.0

Jaws 50W 54W 58W

Oworks 7s

10 hours ago, cav5 said:

Again none of you have explained the golf swing. You have theory’s which don’t implicit a golf swing. Great you make money at it. Still can’t tell me.

A piano teacher tells you in which time to play a note. You can’t tell that to a motion no matter what you say.

Geez I can just imagine how hard it must be for you to walk down some steps. 

“ahhh motion! do I push off the ball of my foot or lift the heel? Oh the timing of the knee bend can’t be learned. Fire the hip or push down on the opposite side?

15 hours ago, cav5 said:

Anything can be taught whether you want to admit it or not. 

13 hours ago, Ajgaguy83 said:

Here's an interesting piano piece that has lots of MOVEMENT, which is TAUGHT. Just like the golf swing. 

Off- and on topic

Anyone who enlightens this forum with the clarity of Maurizio Pollini 😀 is unconditionally considered to be a friend. Thank you kindly for uplifting the cultural level. Without going astray too far off, a version of Joyful Island I also enjoy is by  Richter, back then aged 77. One of his fundamentals of play was to stick to the partiture and hardly any own interpretation allowed. 

Without boring the community too much -lol, the point is this: on the technical end Richter's performance is less proficient (who am I to judge) but the dynamics in storytelling are compelling. So how do you learn that? Is it a gift of life, a talent of nature? Or is it profound study? I truly don't know but this aspect might cover the thoughts of Cav 5.

• Like 2

I feel like a golf swing is just completely counter to common sense. Lessons with a reputable coach should be your number one concern. Its very hard for some if not most people (including myself) to learn by just watching a video and beating balls. Once you DO get it though it becomes more intuitive. Something that helped it click with me working on my own is thinking of how you swing a baseball bat back and forth as if you were hitting a ball. Pay attention to how your feet move or perceive the pressure shift as it happens. Then act as if you are pitching a baseball toward a target and how your pressure moves forward toward the target and chest/arm follows. Then feel it in a more similar golf position like skipping a stone across a pond. The way you HAVE to move your pressure  toward your intended target in all those cases feels identical to me now in my golf swing. Obviously other things in the grip, takeaway, backswing come into play but specifically for the pressure shift thats how I feel it, right or wrong. I think a lot of us just lose it in the application once you put a golf club in our hand haha. The best you can do on here is post a swing video and hope the feedback you get from guys like monte can straighten you out some. 

4 hours ago, jmoor4 said:

Not smart enough to know the answer but I think there's a little more to it.  What about ancient hand whistles?  You can be taught the general shape of the hands and air chamber by someone from the outside but that's about it, you'll have to figure out how to keep the air chamber intact, pressures for different notes, bunch of stuff.   What about blowing smoke rings with cigarettes, you can be told and shown but the how you'll have to suss out yourself.   Straight edge razors, bunches of stuff once past the general idea you have to learn motion, pressures, or relationships on your own.  Would this be different?  

It’s up to the student to practice what they are taught. Some people can’t learn to do certain things but that doesn’t mean it’s not something that can’t be taught.

How to code can be taught. Can everyone do it? Probably not, but the rest can be taught to do it to some level. 

let’s use a non natural movement like throwing a baseball. It can be taught, some will still not be able

to throw it well while others will excel and hit 100+mph on the radar gun. Some will learn to throw a curveball well and some won’t and they will get eaten alive by a good hitter. Because some can only learn the basic does that mean it can’t be taught?

Using your examples, there are people that can do them when they are taught. So even though others can’t do it doesn’t mean it can’t be taught it means the person couldn’t learn it.

Edited by GoGoErky
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

self proclaimed experts behind a message board screen name. 

C'mon, we all know your real name isn't "Monte Scheinblum." That's like a character my avatar invented or something.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

On 3/8/2024 at 8:15 PM, Ajgaguy83 said:

Scary things is that does seem to be what he’s indicating.

Where to begin…… there’s so many things that are incorrect in his last response quoting me.

No point trying to address them….. but why not?

A note isn’t a note. Any real pianist will tell you that’s the same as saying you’re wedge game is the same as Phil’s, Seve’s, whoever you prefer, because well a chip is a chip, a lob is a lob, and a pitch and is pitch. Silly analogy isn’t it, but a short game IS a short game per your analogy. 

Correct, just like you don’t master piano or math by being able to read treble and bass clefs, or understand the math associated with theoretical physics because well, “that plus that” equals, let’s say 4. The irony is, no one claims to have mastery by having greater understanding. All that does is make the path easier.

I’m guessing you had piano lessons and a teacher?

There’s an old saying, all non-conformists conform to non-conformity.

Lastly, since golf can’t be taught because it’s not a note or equation, why do you continually try to teach it and spend so much time espousing perceived teaching information?

You say, 

but honestly, like for real, do you not see the irony given everything I just mentioned (not to mention that of others).

It’s more like if you do a math problem can you show your work. Can teach the concept but the actual motion no. That’s why it’s all so difficult. Scheffler is perfect example. Throws into transition and literally cuts his legs off to kill hand speed. Just can’t actually teach it. 

• Sad 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

Sim Max 18 Ventus Blk 8x

P760 3/4 PX7.0

P730 5-P PX7.0

Jaws 50W 54W 58W

Oworks 7s

15 minutes ago, cav5 said:

It’s more like if you do a math problem can you show your work. Can teach the concept but the actual motion no. That’s why it’s all so difficult. Scheffler is perfect example. Throws into transition and literally cuts his legs off to kill hand speed. Just can’t actually teach it. 

I'm fairly confident Scottie doesn't go full Boxing Helena when he sends it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/11/2024 at 1:06 PM, McDuffer925 said:

I feel like a golf swing is just completely counter to common sense. Lessons with a reputable coach should be your number one concern. Its very hard for some if not most people (including myself) to learn by just watching a video and beating balls. Once you DO get it though it becomes more intuitive. Something that helped it click with me working on my own is thinking of how you swing a baseball bat back and forth as if you were hitting a ball. Pay attention to how your feet move or perceive the pressure shift as it happens. Then act as if you are pitching a baseball toward a target and how your pressure moves forward toward the target and chest/arm follows. Then feel it in a more similar golf position like skipping a stone across a pond. The way you HAVE to move your pressure  toward your intended target in all those cases feels identical to me now in my golf swing. Obviously other things in the grip, takeaway, backswing come into play but specifically for the pressure shift thats how I feel it, right or wrong. I think a lot of us just lose it in the application once you put a golf club in our hand haha. The best you can do on here is post a swing video and hope the feedback you get from guys like monte can straighten you out some. 

I really like a quote from one of the AMG guys, “The best players aren’t better at making complicated moves in the swing, the best players are good at simplifying the swing and not making unnecessary moves”. That’s paraphrased from memory but you get the idea.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 12:35 PM, Mike412 said:

I really like a quote from one of the AMG guys, “The best players aren’t better at making complicated moves in the swing, the best players are good at simplifying the swing and not making unnecessary moves”. That’s paraphrased from memory but you get the idea.

The AMG guys also babble like this. Hogan did not have a lot of shaft lean. Probably the worst example. The better he got the less he had. This is an immediate “ignore” everything else they say post lol. 

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4i9nZ-oIZB/?igsh=MWxjdzN6d3ByYzZz

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

Sim Max 18 Ventus Blk 8x

P760 3/4 PX7.0

P730 5-P PX7.0

Jaws 50W 54W 58W

Oworks 7s

So... How much is too much? Got before and after photos below...

FYI to take it back to OP, for me the entire recentering idea HAS to be a conscious move. I've spent the last 30+ years swaying and then getting stuck on my trail side. It's only now that I'm really trying to attack it. 

For me the "feel" isn't trying to push OFF the trail foot to get pressure left... It's trying to push INTO the trail foot early to not let myself sway off to the right. I know subconsciously that to start the backswing it'll require my left foot pushing, but I'm trying to make that as non-deliberate as possible and the right foot pressuring as the brace to stop the sway. With the right hip hopefully moving back and around towards the target. 

Below is the first range session that I had FO video. I think I definitely am not stuck on the trail foot... But have I overdone it? I see images of pros at the top and if I draw a vertical line from the outside of their lead ankle, their left hip is behind the line, whereas mine is on the line. The only one I've seen so far on the line is Rahm, and I in some ways resemble his body type as a bigger guy, but I wouldn't say anything else about our swings are similar lol...

Before: 

image.png.3d23d5b620acfe32df88fdd0ff6207ce.png

After:

image.png.bb9949a6a60dd6cb1da922cc132986d1.png

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

5 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

So... How much is too much? Got before and after photos below...

FYI to take it back to OP, for me the entire recentering idea HAS to be a conscious move. I've spent the last 30+ years swaying and then getting stuck on my trail side. It's only now that I'm really trying to attack it. 

For me the "feel" isn't trying to push OFF the trail foot to get pressure left... It's trying to push INTO the trail foot early to not let myself sway off to the right. I know subconsciously that to start the backswing it'll require my left foot pushing, but I'm trying to make that as non-deliberate as possible and the right foot pressuring as the brace to stop the sway. With the right hip hopefully moving back and around towards the target. 

Below is the first range session that I had FO video. I think I definitely am not stuck on the trail foot... But have I overdone it? I see images of pros at the top and if I draw a vertical line from the outside of their lead ankle, their left hip is behind the line, whereas mine is on the line. The only one I've seen so far on the line is Rahm, and I in some ways resemble his body type as a bigger guy, but I wouldn't say anything else about our swings are similar lol...

Before: 

image.png.3d23d5b620acfe32df88fdd0ff6207ce.png

After:

image.png.bb9949a6a60dd6cb1da922cc132986d1.png

The After looks far more functional to me, as long as you don’t go further forward on the downswing.

-rhoomikronnu

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GungHoGolf said:

Wow, you weren’t kidding. That’s crazy forward.

That’s why his rear foot slides so much.  Every good player puts that force on the right foot, but it’s so unweighted, it flies back. 

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That’s why his rear foot slides so much.  Every good player puts that force on the right foot, but it’s so unweighted, it flies back. 

If he came to you as a 4 cap with inconsistent ball striking, would you try to tone down that 10-12” forward slide? Or is that a viable/desirable pattern that could help a lot of ams?

Asked another way: do you see more problems from too little forward slide, or not enough?

This is fascinating to me, because we’re looking at the world’s current best ball striker, and he seems to be an outlier on the hip slide spectrum.

IMG_6212.jpeg.5f7777086fa177789bcd2f1a2bc76f96.jpeg