2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

How to deal with losing your game. *videos included*

24 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

A few things i'm seeing re: that question:

1) Right hand is still hinging late. Whatever feel you have for "hinging faster" isn't translating to that hand as it's still nearly flat at left arm parallel going back. It looks like your feel is causing all the hinging to come from your left wrist while the right is too quiet.

KobeTakeaway1.gif.36e004502b5b35a173e3ec792fb886f4.gif

This gets the club a bit open going back. Not so much to be a problem, just something to note, because:

2) You have that cool "motorcycle" move at the top:

KobeMotorcycle.gif.fca0fa30033e109adda6b490a5e023a3.gif

Which gets the clubface from being a little open going back with a slightly cupped left wrist to a little shut with a fractionally bowed one. The issue I see here is that for an 8-iron this is a really long swing, all the way to parallel. The late right wrist hinging might be encouraging this, plus unless i'm not seeing it right...that ball looks really far forward in your stance, like long iron/fairway wood forward. The further forward the ball is, the more left your path will tend to be without compensation, so left path + slightly shut clubface + a natural "release" at the bottom = those pull-y draw types of flights.

In isolation there are a ton of good components here, they just aren't all quite matched up right yet. I'd be curious to see you attempt 3/4 length punchy sorts of shots with this same 8-iron with the ball in the middle of your stance, not forward.

I would agree, the ball is very forward. Now that I think about it, all of the hinge is in my left hand and not my right.

Do you have any drill to hinge it faster/youtube video?

37 minutes ago, chigolfer1 said:

I can only guess it doesn't feel right because  you've managed to build yourself an amazing looking swing with no major anomalies left, or compensations needed lol

Until you watch me play and I can't break 80 at my home course. With this, my home course is the hardest course I've ever played.

5 minutes ago, kobe123 said:

I would agree, the ball is very forward. Now that I think about it, all of the hinge is in my left hand and not my right.

Do you have any drill to hinge it faster/youtube video?

Any version of the Faldo Hinge Drill in where you max out your wrists and achieve that "club parallel" position he talks about there, then kind of build up from there i.e. start like the drill describes by maxing them out with no turn, then practice achieving the same wrist conditions while making a turn to P2 (club parallel) and keep working in slightly larger increments until you can feel the wrist setting movements blending in with the turn.

Also get the feel for properly utilizing radial deviation by hinging the club just straight up in your address position with just your wrists. Depending on how far you can radially deviate you'll likely get the club to around parallel to the ground with the butt pointing at your crotch. That upwards hinging motion is an element of what the right wrist is supposed to do going back, and its that "picking up" of the club with that wrist that is blended into the takeaway motion that keeps the shaft and clubhead in a "neutral" position. Just the wrist deviation though, no arm bending to pick the club up. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

13 hours ago, kobe123 said:

How’s this ?

much lower flight and actually produced a divot 

Excellent. Textbook execution of the drill and it did what I hoped; shortened your backswing, removed the late hinging, got the clubface square at the top, and got you delivering more shaft lean and a lower ball flight, even with the ball slightly forward. How did it feel?

I would work with this for awhile to get a feel for the wrist conditions. If contact or ballflight starts to get squirrely then shorten it up to left arm parallel length backswing punch shots to recalibrate. Hit those until they are solid then work back up. I would use an alignment aid to track ball position as well. Too far forward and you'll start getting those pull-draw flights and potentially thinner/flippier contact. Too far back and the ball will likely start too far right. As noted previously your overall move/transition is definitely one conducive to a draw:

KobeVFleetwood.gif.337986e07f46399a70710596c3c05cf7.gif

You're a touch more "neutral" than Tommy here which makes sense because your hands are deeper, but the overall pattern is very similar. I have some thoughts about what you might try to hit fades from this kind of position, but I don't want to cloud your head as it's early and you're just starting to get this pieced together. This is how i'd recommend progressing from here:

1) The drill as you posted above is perfect, that is your "home base" so to speak. Hit shots from here until they are solid and consistent in terms of contact and flight. Return here if any of the next steps get too lose.
2) Next, start from your standard address position and move to taking the club back to P2 (shaft parallel to the ground) while getting your wrists into the same "wrist drill" position. This will feel similar to the wrist drill just with a bit of shoulder and arm swing to get to P2.
3) Next do the same as #2 but swinging up to P3 (left arm parallel), again targeting the same fully loaded wrist conditions.

The goal here is to incrementally increase the length of initial "swing" while making sure you hit those wrist positions at each point. This will develop awareness both of your length of backswing and of where your wrists are/should be. If you're bored you can mix and match here as well which I actually recommend e.g. do #1 but swing to #3 and hit shots from there. Basically varying whether you set the wrists immediately at address (#1) or set them when trying to reach a position (#2 and #3) and whether or not you then swing all the way to the top OR stop at one of these positions. Ideally you'd be able to do any of these combos on command and hit a solid shot, and at that point you will have gained a far greater awareness and control over the club at all points of the backswing. This will likely get tedious, but the more time you spend mastering it the more comfortable golf will become. This is the same kind of regiment drilling that Butch did to Tiger back in 2000.

The added benefit here is that gaining awareness and then mastery over all of these positions also gives you important markers for lower body and pressure shift sequencing, because that will likely waver a little bit while you're focusing on all this hand/wrist stuff. With #2 above you'll want to feel most of your lateral pressure shifting into the back leg, with a only a very minor bump further back up to P3 and then everything starting to work towards your front foot as you complete the backswing. With #3 you'll want to feel all of that pressure shifting happening with any full swing you go on to make having all of your pressure moving towards the front foot, if that makes sense. 

This is will likely be fairly easy with shorter clubs, but will get more and more difficult and harder to adhere to as the clubs get longer, so make sure to stay patient knowing that will happen.

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

I've had a little bit of late hinge at the top as well, for me it was more a power move that I naturally did. I never went past parallel though. Worked over the years on the stop at the top drill which helped. Interesting on the hinge faster/faldo drill, makes sense so I might have to give it a try. Keeping on eye on Kobe's success rate with it. 

On 3/18/2024 at 1:38 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

I think this is a good call.  When you go to a tour event, the best time to see how to practice when you’re struggling is Friday afternoon.  That’s when everyone who missed the cut is trying to figure it out.  Getting rhythm and sequencing down.  You going down a technical path with this swing won’t help at this time, IMO.

If a 100 meter track sprinter gets his stride off, he doesn’t work on changing it by running the 100 as fast as he can.  He does it monotonously jogging around the track until he gets it right.  

When I get off I sit on the range for hours (when I get time) hitting 60 yard LW’s, 100 yard PW’s and 130 yard 7 iron’s….until I can get my ball flight and sequencing right.  Then I test it on more full shots.

Golfers never do that.

Some of us do 🤣.  This is excellent advice.  If a 60 yard lob is controlled.  The rest is possible.    I usually don’t even hit a full shot during warmup.  If I do it’s driver and then a 3 wood off the deck.  If that’s good. I’m going to the putting green.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

I've had a little bit of late hinge at the top as well, for me it was more a power move that I naturally did. I never went past parallel though. Worked over the years on the stop at the top drill which helped. Interesting on the hinge faster/faldo drill, makes sense so I might have to give it a try. Keeping on eye on Kobe's success rate with it. 

I've seen this coming up a lot lately and I have the same issue with a "float load" thing that I guess in my mind was adding power.   Shauheen showed some lessons with people doing this as well where it usually got them across the line at the end of their swing making it harder to shallow.  I"ve been working on early/earlier wrist hinge now just to get that feel and also to get out of the feel that I need to do some sort of loading at top.   Yes, as with all new things, it feels weird to do "nothing" now at the top

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 6:55 AM, kobe123 said:

All,

I am in some desperate need of advice. I feel as if I have lost all ability to hit the golf ball/score. To give some reference, last year I got down to a +2, shot the lowest round of my life at Mammoth Dunes @ -6. Currently, I’m at a 2 handicap and trending upwards as I most likely couldn’t break 85.

Now I have lost all ability to hit the golf ball. I’ve lost all my distance, speed, ability to hit the center. It’s at the point to where I’ve debated just putting the clubs up for awhile. I don’t know if it’s because I have too many thoughts, seen to many teachers, expect perfection, or just am scattered brained over the ball.

The misses I fight are pulls, pushes, toe balls, and hosels. Lol!

I have attached a multitude of videos. 

Just looking for guidance on how to deal with this. 

*Not sure how to upload the videos to where you can see them*

IMG_3065.MOV 4.25 MB · 189 downloads

IMG_3055.MOV 6.69 MB · 112 downloads

IMG_2972.MOV 1.65 MB · 86 downloads

IMG_3053.MOV 4.28 MB · 79 downloads

Never been a 2 handicap. So grain of salt w/any advice I offer. 

I think you have an outstanding swing and a GREAT move. Better than most dream of to be honest.

With what I saw in the 1st 4 vid's I'd bet you sit down too much and your weakness in your glutes and hips is causing you to collapse. Also in the last vid your clubface seems open at set up. 

So work on those 2 muscles groups, stretch, fundamentals and

Lean into old man golf. Read Pennick, Utopia, Rotella, Shoemaker etc. Focus on your short game, putting and get ahead of your friends. And you ought to go back to kicking their Word not allowedes on the regular.

If you're really trying to improve you've got to do all of the above and then get serious about working at it. Get your sleep. Get your sleep. Go to bed. 

Again I've never been as good probably as you are right now but father time is undefeated and you're so much ahead of most people already it'd be a shame to waste that.

PS it's really OK to have fun while golfing but don't cheat yourself. HTH's

@kobe123

13 hours ago, JAMH03 said:

Never been a 2 handicap. So grain of salt w/any advice I offer. 

I think you have an outstanding swing and a GREAT move. Better than most dream of to be honest.

With what I saw in the 1st 4 vid's I'd bet you sit down too much and your weakness in your glutes and hips is causing you to collapse. Also in the last vid your clubface seems open at set up. 

So work on those 2 muscles groups, stretch, fundamentals and

Lean into old man golf. Read Pennick, Utopia, Rotella, Shoemaker etc. Focus on your short game, putting and get ahead of your friends. And you ought to go back to kicking their Word not allowedes on the regular.

If you're really trying to improve you've got to do all of the above and then get serious about working at it. Get your sleep. Get your sleep. Go to bed. 

Again I've never been as good probably as you are right now but father time is undefeated and you're so much ahead of most people already it'd be a shame to waste that.

PS it's really OK to have fun while golfing but don't cheat yourself. HTH's

@kobe123

You're spot on.

I sit at a desk 60 hours a week and address the ball with my clubface open due to not wanting to go left ,even though that's my miss. My friends are all very good, in the + range, and I rarely beat them.

• Thanks 1

On 3/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

I think this is a good call.  When you go to a tour event, the best time to see how to practice when you’re struggling is Friday afternoon.  That’s when everyone who missed the cut is trying to figure it out.  Getting rhythm and sequencing down.  You going down a technical path with this swing won’t help at this time, IMO.

If a 100 meter track sprinter gets his stride off, he doesn’t work on changing it by running the 100 as fast as he can.  He does it monotonously jogging around the track until he gets it right.  

When I get off I sit on the range for hours (when I get time) hitting 60 yard LW’s, 100 yard PW’s and 130 yard 7 iron’s….until I can get my ball flight and sequencing right.  Then I test it on more full shots.

Golfers never do that.

On 4/23/2024 at 2:22 PM, Mike412 said:

I remember watching a YT video a while back of you talking about this and hitting partial shots on the range. I believe you were collaborating with someone. I can’t find it now, would you happen to remember it and give me some key words to maybe find it?

Finally found it, forgot it was with AMG. This video is absolute gold!

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 12:35 PM, kobe123 said:

No idea what this means.

Hmmmmm……………..ready to deliver……….of course you have to prepare to load and unload in proper order……….just keep it between the lines and you’ll get there…….See how happy he is…….could be you.

TK

IMG_0085.jpeg

Edited by TedKnight

On 4/27/2024 at 4:28 PM, TedKnight said:

Hmmmmm……………..ready to deliver……….of course you have to prepare to load and unload in proper order……….just keep it between the lines and you’ll get there…….See how happy he is…….could be you.

TK

IMG_0085.jpeg

Another post that makes no sense, thank you for the help.

Little update:

Played 2 rounds within last 5 days shot 71 and 75. 

Couple of things to note:

1. This 71 and 75 was not at my home course.

2. My home course is one of the most difficult courses I've played and I struggle to break 80, but this makes all other courses seem easy.

3. Struggling off the tee with pull draws. At my home course, if you miss the fairway you're in thick Kentucky bluegrass and either can't find it or can't advance it.

Feels:

Get the right thumb pointed up and towards me in the backswing to hinge it faster. This helps me hinge sooner and also doesn't let me left arm get as deep.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kobe123 said:

Little update:

Played 2 rounds within last 5 days shot 71 and 75. 

Couple of things to note:

1. This 71 and 75 was not at my home course.

2. My home course is one of the most difficult courses I've played and I struggle to break 80, but this makes all other courses seem easy.

3. Struggling off the tee with pull draws. At my home course, if you miss the fairway you're in thick Kentucky bluegrass and either can't find it or can't advance it.

Feels:

Get the right thumb pointed up and towards me in the backswing to hinge it faster. This helps me hinge sooner and also doesn't let me left arm get as deep.

Good results so far!

If by "pull draw" you mean starting straight or even a little left and curving left then that indicates a face that is too closed to path. Check on your left hand grip and where the clubface is going back and at the top. Prior to the hinge drill videos above you had a clubface that was fractionally open at the top that you "motorcycle" into being a little shut, whereas with the hinge drill you were more square at the top with a more neutral flight. You'll either want to feel like you get the clubface a little more open going back and/or weaken your left hand grip fractionally. That motorcycle move you do is no issue, but it does mean there is a component of bowing your left wrist in transition that shuts the face slightly. If that move shuts the face down a little too much then the pull draws will likely result, so i'd recommend keeping the bowing feel while just making sure it's taking the clubface from slightly open to square and not square to slightly shut. Driver videos of these pull draws would be required to say anything further.

Bridgestone 

22 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Good results so far!

If by "pull draw" you mean starting straight or even a little left and curving left then that indicates a face that is too closed to path. Check on your left hand grip and where the clubface is going back and at the top. Prior to the hinge drill videos above you had a clubface that was fractionally open at the top that you "motorcycle" into being a little shut, whereas with the hinge drill you were more square at the top with a more neutral flight. You'll either want to feel like you get the clubface a little more open going back and/or weaken your left hand grip fractionally. That motorcycle move you do is no issue, but it does mean there is a component of bowing your left wrist in transition that shuts the face slightly. If that move shuts the face down a little too much then the pull draws will likely result, so i'd recommend keeping the bowing feel while just making sure it's taking the clubface from slightly open to square and not square to slightly shut. Driver videos of these pull draws would be required to say anything further.

Yes, they start left and go left.

Part of me thinks it could be my alignment. If I'm playing for a score on the course, and I'm hitting pulls, I'm going to aim right and hit bigger pulls just to get the ball on target.

Time on range is most likely what is needed to get more comfortable with the new hinge and ball flight.

• Like 1