Which putter? Distance Control.

MarcA

Hi all,

My putting has been suffering for months now so I'm going to change putters to hopefully help my confidence and give me a fresh start. Practice seems to help until I get on the course!

I'm currently using a Taylormade Spider X which is great from inside 6 foot. My problem is the longer putts (30 foot plus). I have zero distance control with the majority of putts being left 5 foot short.

I quite fancy a blade but want a bit of forgiveness. Putters that have caught my eye include:

- Evnroll ER2 MidBlade

- odyssey tri-hot 5k triple wide

Trying them indoors doesn't help as it's the real world when I struggle. Has anyone used either putter who struggles with distance control? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

Do you practice speed at all? If no you'll probably end up in the same boat as you are now. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

5 minutes ago, MarcA said:

Yes. Unfortunately, I've always struggled with distance. 

I'd maybe opt for a blade without an insert or deep milling. The soft feel might be throwing you off. 

My personal experience is a firmer feel leads to better feedback on speed. 

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

16 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

I'd maybe opt for a blade without an insert or deep milling. The soft feel might be throwing you off. 

Thanks - I'll look into this as you could be right. Do you have any recommendations?

16 minutes ago, MarcA said:

Thanks - I'll look into this as you could be right. Do you have any recommendations?

If you want a wider blade a Bettinardi BB8W or BB1W. Can also look at a Scotty Squareback or one of the new Plus models. There is the Ping PLD Milled Anser and Anser D but their milling can feel soft to some. 

One from left field a Burke AI+77 cause they have a 90 Guarantee on their putters. 

There are others but the Bettinardi, Scotty and Ping are super easy to find in store and try. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

If you want a wider blade a Bettinardi BB8W or BB1W. Can also look at a Scotty Squareback or one of the new Plus models. There is the Ping PLD Milled Anser and Anser D but their milling can feel soft to some. 

One from left field a Burke AI+77 cause they have a 90 Guarantee on their putters. 

There are others but the Bettinardi, Scotty and Ping are super easy to find in store and try. 

Thanks - I'll have to pop out and try some. Funnily enough, the BB8W was on my initial list but I changed my mind whilst posting on here.

I had an OG Spider and the Odyssey Exo 7. Same issue, great on short putts, tough to judge lag putts.

Very happy now with the 2-Ball OG. The insert feels perfect. I tested it in a store without intentions to buy and knew right there. Really a great design. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

9 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I had an OG Spider and the Odyssey Exo 7. Same issue, great on short putts, tough to judge lag putts.

Very happy now with the 2-Ball OG. The insert feels perfect. I tested it in a store without intentions to buy and knew right there. Really a great design. 

I'm pleased it isn't just me...

Have you tried distance practicing while looking at the hole?  Hit the 1st putt while looking at the hole.   My distance control is much better while looking at the hole.  I’ll then hit the next putt conventional (looking at the ball) trying to replicate the feel.  On the course, take practice strokes while looking at the hole and then attempt to replicate the feel on the actual putt.  I also found that a routine that involves counting helps.  Something on the line of 1 - look at hole, 2- look at ball, 3- look at hole, 4 - look at ball, 5 pause while looking at the ball, 6- backstroke, 7 - impact.  

24 minutes ago, rollen said:

Have you tried distance practicing while looking at the hole?  Hit the 1st putt while looking at the hole.   My distance control is much better while looking at the hole.  I’ll then hit the next putt conventional (looking at the ball) trying to replicate the feel.  On the course, take practice strokes while looking at the hole and then attempt to replicate the feel on the actual putt.  I also found that a routine that involves counting helps.  Something on the line of 1 - look at hole, 2- look at ball, 3- look at hole, 4 - look at ball, 5 pause while looking at the ball, 6- backstroke, 7 - impact.  

I have not tried this so will give it a go, thanks. I do like having a simple and quick routine for shots so this suggestion is something which could help. Thank you.

If you will commit to regular practice of the ladder drill on the green you will improve your distance control regardless of the putter.  Start at 8 feet and drop a ball about every 3 feet further from there out to 30 feet.  Do this drill 4 times every practice session and your distance control will improve. Place a tee 2 feet behind the hole.  Work to have the ball stop between the hole and the tee.  To make it challenging start over at 8 feet if you end up short of the hole or long of the tee.  Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

I'm testing out the L.A.B DF3 and I've found it likely the best putter I've used as far as speed control. I often have had a tendency to hammer them by the hole but the L.A.B has been really good for me specifically in this regard.

YMMV

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Something with one of those worthless tech putter shafts.  

• Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, MarcA said:

Hi all,

My putting has been suffering for months now so I'm going to change putters to hopefully help my confidence and give me a fresh start. Practice seems to help until I get on the course!

I'm currently using a Taylormade Spider X which is great from inside 6 foot. My problem is the longer putts (30 foot plus). I have zero distance control with the majority of putts being left 5 foot short.

I quite fancy a blade but want a bit of forgiveness. Putters that have caught my eye include:

- Evnroll ER2 MidBlade

- odyssey tri-hot 5k triple wide

Trying them indoors doesn't help as it's the real world when I struggle. Has anyone used either putter who struggles with distance control? Or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks

There isn’t a putter in the market that can compete with the distance consistency of Evnroll. They have made several videos with a robot showing center, toe, and heel hits going the same distance. I’ve used one since they were released in 2016.

Edited by hammergolf

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Edel has a very interesting system for distance control, all centered around weighting.

If you're leaving putts short, go lighter in head and add weight up by your hands.  Allows you to accelerate and hit putts harder.  I'm over simplifying, so look em up on YouTube for all the details.

6 hours ago, MattM97 said:

Good advice ... Also think about head weight. Lighter putters (330g range) can help some people's "feel".

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, Urb said:

Edel has a very interesting system for distance control, all centered around weighting.

If you're leaving putts short, go lighter in head and add weight up by your hands.  Allows you to accelerate and hit putts harder.  I'm over simplifying, so look em up on YouTube for all the details.

Also good advice ... I went to a SuperStroke with the screw-in weight, and it's helped.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Thanks all, some very helpful posts. I'll try to reply to them all here.

I do practice my putting however struggle when playing for real. I'm fairly consistent from inside 20 foot but it's the longer distances that cause me the most pain, not helped by the fact we have large greens of varying pace and breaks. I'm always frightened of charging putts past so regularly leave myself short. In fact, the more greens I hit in regulation...the worse my score! And I find my bad putting ruining the rest of my game.

I had been looking at the L.A.B DF3 and sent a video off for a remote fitting. Unfortunately, I would require a custom fit which is out of my budget.

When I was looking at Evnroll, I was looking at getting the 90g grip. My thinking here was that although the putter would be on the softer side, it would be more consistent than what I'm getting now from my Spider. This consistency of strikes therefore helping me to judge putts from distance.

Lighter head and heavy grip is an interesting angle and kind of linked to my Evnroll thinking. Although I'm googled and struggle to see any new putters which are light these days. Even the blades seem heavy! Any suggestions of lighter putters such as Eden would be much appreciated.

I do feel like it's a bit of a minefield. I can try as many out as I like in a shop and they all feel the same. I won't know until I get on the course with one. I find buying a putter such a challenge and far more difficult than any other club.

How does the Odyssey Ai stack up? That seems to also be an interesting option from watching a couple of YouTube videos.

But yes, I agree. I will be working on my distance control.

So many opinions ... I'd like a video. But I know the following:

Deep milling gives a very soft feel - I had a Bett that I could. not use b/c of this feature. Very annoying

No milling gives a firm feel

Some shallow milling gives you a direct feel but softens it slightly

Light head with counterbalancing makes the light head feel even lighter - may cause your hands and wrists to move too much. It's not a bad thing to have some meat behind the ball to get it going.

I'd check your stroke because it may be technique which could eventually play mind games. On speed, I take a longer stroke going back but don't rush it going forward. Relax. Use your big muscles, the shoulders, not your hands and wrists. On uphill putts, look beyond the hill as your target line. On downhill, look at a shorter target line.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

2 hours ago, MarcA said:

Thanks all, some very helpful posts. I'll try to reply to them all here.

I do practice my putting however struggle when playing for real. I'm fairly consistent from inside 20 foot but it's the longer distances that cause me the most pain, not helped by the fact we have large greens of varying pace and breaks. I'm always frightened of charging putts past so regularly leave myself short. In fact, the more greens I hit in regulation...the worse my score! And I find my bad putting ruining the rest of my game.

I had been looking at the L.A.B DF3 and sent a video off for a remote fitting. Unfortunately, I would require a custom fit which is out of my budget.

When I was looking at Evnroll, I was looking at getting the 90g grip. My thinking here was that although the putter would be on the softer side, it would be more consistent than what I'm getting now from my Spider. This consistency of strikes therefore helping me to judge putts from distance.

Lighter head and heavy grip is an interesting angle and kind of linked to my Evnroll thinking. Although I'm googled and struggle to see any new putters which are light these days. Even the blades seem heavy! Any suggestions of lighter putters such as Eden would be much appreciated.

I do feel like it's a bit of a minefield. I can try as many out as I like in a shop and they all feel the same. I won't know until I get on the course with one. I find buying a putter such a challenge and far more difficult than any other club.

How does the Odyssey Ai stack up? That seems to also be an interesting option from watching a couple of YouTube videos.

But yes, I agree. I will be working on my distance control.

I'd definitely look at the AI One putters, they are insert but they are firm since they are aluminum backed but also have the Milled ones as well. Here's a video showing some results from Cool Clubs: 

Lefty - WITB Thread

3 hours ago, MarcA said:

I do practice my putting however struggle when playing for real. I'm fairly consistent from inside 20 foot but it's the longer distances that cause me the most pain, not helped by the fact we have large greens of varying pace and breaks. I'm always frightened of charging putts past so regularly leave myself short.

Your fear of charging putts past the hole s the problem; it isn’t the putter.  If you practice putts longer than 20 feet and you can control the distance on those, you should be able to do the same during the round.  

not sure if someone said this or not, but if your miss is short, the evnroll will probably hurt you. They mute the sweet spot and keep the heel and toe of the face standard so that mishits technically go the same distance as center strikes. It's not awful, but it's definitely not ideal if your miss is short.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chrischo555 said:

not sure if someone said this or not, but if your miss is short, the evnroll will probably hurt you. They mute the sweet spot and keep the heel and toe of the face standard so that mishits technically go the same distance as center strikes. It's not awful, but it's definitely not ideal if your miss is short.

True

Owned an Evenroll for over a year. Did not make the cut. Not because I did not hit the sweetspot consistently. But it did feel really bad when hit outside the "spot." Sometimes, one purposely wants a downhill putt to stop and you hit it off the toe or feel. And the Evenroll It was too heavy for what I needed. And I can say the same for several other putters over 350g in a 35 in. length.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Ongoing thanks for everyone's input. Very helpful.

I took an early finish from work today and popped to a local golf retailer to try a few putters out. After much research, I needed to get my hands on the real thing!

I've settled on an Odyssey Ai-One Putter (Double Wide DB) as I really liked the way the ball came off the face. It definitely feels like a putter I can work with and won't be too costly by the time I sell my current putter.

I just need to focus on practicing and hopefully a fresh start will help!

• Like 1

It is all about getting the weighting correct. If you go for an Edel putter fitting, you do not have to buy an Edel putter. But you will go home knowing which type of hosel and alignment aids help you aim accurately and also what weighting gives you optimum speed control. The “speed fitting” part of their process is eye opening and leaves no doubt. Best comprehensive putter fitting in the market IMO. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

2 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

It is all about getting the weighting correct. If you go for an Edel putter fitting, you do not have to buy an Edel putter. But you will go home knowing which type of hosel and alignment aids help you aim accurately and also what weighting gives you optimum speed control. The “speed fitting” part of their process is eye opening and leaves no doubt. Best comprehensive putter fitting in the market IMO. 

I really like the look of these but sadly out of my price range and no fitters nearby when I checked their site (UK based).

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2024 at 12:22 PM, rollen said:

I vouch for this method. Train the intuition.