AMG: Side Bend Like A Major Champ - PROs vs AMs

32 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Have been texting with them for the last 2 hours on this subject.  Great stuff.

From last years masters week.  3 days later Zalatoris announced out for the year with surgery.  The section where they show range of motion and age…..a teenager can pick up a dog poop move and make it work.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4rDBIVvTcR/?igsh=NzBmMjdhZWRiYQ==

So we want some but at 67 can attempt to do to much?

PS. What’s with this reply on your instagram post?

it's actually illegal to hinge the arms against to body.”.  Is he thinking of putting or???

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

19 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

So we want some but at 67 can attempt to do to much?

PS. What’s with this reply on your instagram post?

it's actually illegal to hinge the arms against to body.”.  Is he thinking of putting or???

I can sum up the video in one sentence.  Stay in left tilt (righty) as long as you can and hit the ball.

i think that was someone who doesn’t speak English as their first language.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 4

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

17 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I get what you’re saying, but many of their videos and many of mine are for education purposes versus what you should think over the ball.  There’s so much information and so many people slobbering over the excess right tilters, there’s needs to be a counter point.  There’s a guy out there who thinks Joaquim Niemann should be the model people should follow.  

The video is as much (or more) for instructors as it is for average ajoe

Did you learn anything new from this video out of curiosity?

1 minute ago, Trippels said:

Did you learn anything new from this video out of curiosity?

Not really because I have discussed a lot of this with them already in the past.  

• Like 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

54 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I can sum up the video in one sentence.  Stay in left tilt (righty) as long as you can and hit the ball.

This may be a really stupid question, but what is "left tilt"?  Really, what's the framework for: Left, Right, Forwards, backwards, etc...?  

I was watching "Driving for Dough," and the part where you mentioned upper-body spine axis tilted away from the target, with both shoulders in your turn being closer to your rear foot than target foot, and that this tilt was desirable.  Pressure went to your target foot, but your axis was still tilted away from the target.

Is this just a matter of the right handed golfer tilting to the left side in a face-on view, and not the golfer tilting towards their left side?

2 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

This may be a really stupid question, but what is "left tilt"?  Really, what's the framework for: Left, Right, Forwards, backwards, etc...?  

I was watching "Driving for Dough," and the part where you mentioned upper-body spine axis tilted away from the target, with both shoulders in your turn being closer to your rear foot than target foot, and that this tilt was desirable.  Pressure went to your target foot, but your axis was still tilted away from the target.

Is this just a matter of the right handed golfer tilting to the left side in a face-on view, and not the golfer tilting towards their left side?

Correct.  As your shoulders rotate in the backswing cerca 90* to spin at address, that’s called left tilt.

You can be left tilted toward the ball and still be slightly tilted away from the target

IMG_1460.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I wonder how under-reported injuries from the excess right side bend movement are.

We know about Zalatoris because he had already made it, but how many guys are blowing out their backs before making it?

Will Z had the money to do the surgery and take off as long as required, but for lots of guys trying to get a card, an injury like that would be game over. 

3 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

I wonder how under-reported injuries from the excess right side bend movement are.

We know about Zalatoris because he had already made it, but how many guys are blowing out their backs before making it?

Will Z had the money to do the surgery and take off as long as required, but for lots of guys trying to get a card, an injury like that would be game over. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/01/17/michael-thorbjornsen-return-back-injury-hero-dubai-desert-classic-pga-tour-university/

IMG_1461.png

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Is this basically telling you that you need to stay in left tilt as long as possible? If so, nothing new other than showing that measurements support that prevailing sentiment? 

Also, there are a lot of instructors recommending higher lead hip at address or hip bump toward the target - is this effectively Rich’s cheerleader move or just setting pelvis tilt? 

Edited by lookylookitzadam

2 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Monte thanks for the summary! I had trouble digesting the video, hitting a few balls with this feel feels great on the back!

I have question regarding staying in left tilt as long as possible until hitting the ball, is it because it reduces unwanted right side bend? And forces to use other proper parts of body to hit the ball?

16 minutes ago, metaldog said:

Monte thanks for the summary! I had trouble digesting the video, hitting a few balls with this feel feels great on the back!

I have question regarding staying in left tilt as long as possible until hitting the ball, is it because it reduces unwanted right side bend? And forces to use other proper parts of body to hit the ball?

Yep.  Staying in left tilt longer allows a lot of good things to happen and one of them is later and less right bend.

Staying in left tilt is not a new concept.  Keeping your back to the target is code for staying in left tilt.  The Bear

Rose calls it staying closed until you reach P6.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

5 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I have literally been told "think of Niemann and do that" by an instructor not 10 min after explaining my ROM limitations thanks to hip and knee surgery (not to mention age).

Guy on the range was telling his friend he needs to "fold his back" like the pros and proceeded to demonstrate the Neimann/Bennett/Former Zalatoris/Lost soul from the Valspar this weekend side bend at impact position as best one can.

Any orthos who specialize in lumbar area repairs are no doubt safe to put money down on that new vacation spot or live a little and hop into that second marriage sans prenup.

• Haha 3

Looks like we might be entering the next 'no need to maximize Xfactor' phase between spine and pelvis bends that caused big gaps in the lumbar and thoracic regions.

Open and tilted pelvis at impact is causing a lot of the right side bend distorsion seen in DTL and behind the player 2Ds.

That image is golden (and the explanations of the similitudes in DJ, Nelly and Lydia swings also)

Tspine.JPG

The "swinging within a box", is a strong cue to work off of. Has helped me from moving out of left tilt too early or standing up in EE. I never thought of it as a box, more like a gate to swing through but the box metaphor is better.  I was starting to get to the point that max right bend came at P8 like it does in the video. 

I always felt a way to protect back was keep upper body's mass in line or somewhat on top of the pelvis, no over sway or over bend of spine for any type of tilts.

I have an Instagram message thread with a fairly popular RSB (right side bend, which is what I call this type of swing) instructor… where he really misunderstands the 3D nature of looking at a GEARS "side bend" thing.

In fact, the message he sent me first was this image to show how early a PGA Tour player was in "right side bend":

image.png.9395d80cd964fc051a8b2ed9f6de3601.png

It was a case of "seeing what you want to see," not seeing how things actually are. Or, "bad camera angles aren't great for interpretation" — even though GEARS is 3D software… you're still looking at a 2D image here.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That guy should be forced to attend time share seminars 

Let’s look at facts.  I’m 56.  I’m 40-50 pounds over weight.  I can swing in excess of 120mph.

How many swings getting into these positions with all of those factors before I was seriously injured.  I’m thinking over/under of 3 and I’m better the under.

That’s why the part in the video where they show average range of motion is the most critical part of it.  You can perform a swing at 16, but the countdown clock has started.

Like I have said if Nieman, Perreira, Zalatoris, Sargent or Bennett came to me, I’d say win 100 mil, when it starts to hurt, come find me.  For Zalatoris that was 3 days after I posted the video.

IMG_1459.png

Monte, would you say that these guys who have a ton of side bend get their power/speed from doing so or is it just a by product?  I used to have a ton of side bend as well when I was younger but that was when my ss was 122 on a stock swing.  Can't get into that position anymore because of age and a bad back so my speed has dropped a bit.  I noticed that most guys who have a lot of side bend tend to be long hitters.  Sargent, Min Woo, Niemann, etc. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

My only nit-pick so far with the video is that they properly show how the hips/pelvis contributes to side bend with Richard at the start… and then their illustration here locks the pelvis in place to show a lot of side bend:

image.png.543ad186a3675b5e057689a0f2387102.png

The rest… very good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

12 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

That guy should be forced to attend time share seminars 

Let’s look at facts.  I’m 56.  I’m 40-50 pounds over weight.  I can swing in excess of 120mph.

How many swings getting into these positions with all of those factors before I was seriously injured.  I’m thinking over/under of 3 and I’m better the under.

That’s why the part in the video where they show average range of motion is the most critical part of it.  You can perform a swing at 16, but the countdown clock has started.

Like I have said if Nieman, Perreira, Zalatoris, Sargent or Bennett came to me, I’d say win 100 mil, when it starts to hurt, come find me.  For Zalatoris that was 3 days after I posted the video.

IMG_1459.png

I think context would be important here. If the instructor was literally trying get you to be in the same position as Neiman, than yes there is a problem. If you needed to FEEL like Nieman to get into the needed side bend, that is a different story. 

I used to roll the club on the backswing. Instructor asked me to do a Jim Furyk swing impression. I felt like I was I had this crazy looping backswing like Furyk. Go to the video and it is on plane. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Canada8888 said:

If you click the link for the free drill AMG offer (you need to give them your email to see it) and watch, that it may be a great addition. I loved the simple explanations in the drill video. 

I know this is going to make me sound like a needy, lazy internetian, would it be too much trouble to post the drill videos in this thread?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PracticeSwinger said:

...Open and tilted pelvis at impact is causing a lot of the right side bend distorsion seen in DTL and behind the player 2Ds...

Great, "Too long; didn't watch," synopsis of the video. 

If your target-side pelvis moves up and back on the downswing, a lot of side bend can occur without requiring all of it from the spine.  Much easier to do, and we don't need that much anyway at impact and even P8.

Question for everyone:  Since we should stay in left tilt (left shoulder lower than right) at least until P6---though the amount of left tilt is going to decrease from P5 on---and this pelvis move aids right side bend, does this mean that pushing back/up/away from target side with lead leg and pelvis shouldn't happen until just before impact?  As a part of Monte's "tabletop" drill say?

• Thanks 1