2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

70% of speed from hands? Where does this idea come from?

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2024 at 2:44 PM, iacas said:

That's not accurate. The weight will shift forward as well.

image.png.eae04b3aa9954c5c4e9058d60236c724.pngimage.png.d2cacdcb7d273ca97061c5af72505a57.png

A weight shift in the BS causes a sway.  A WS in the DS causes a slide.  Moving weight causes lateral movement away from the ball. 

Moving pressure from one foot to another allows the center of mass to remain centered, while the core rotates to create a spring action and then release it into the ball.  The WS happens in the follow through out of necessity to finish on the front foot.

Most people use WS and PS interchangeably, when in fact they are different concepts.

Edited by nikos74
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)

@Soloman1  The head is in the same place, both with the BS and DS, but there is a considerable hip slide going on in the DS.  I am not sure why it doesn't affect the low point and cause consistency problems, ie fat and thin shots.  Maybe cause there was side bend and forward shaft lean at address and the DS incorporates all that?

Edited by nikos74

42 minutes ago, nikos74 said:

@Soloman1  The head is in the same place, both with the BS and DS, but there is a massive hip slide going on in the DS.  I am not sure why it doesn't affect the low point and cause consistency problems, ie fat and thin shots.  Maybe cause there was side bend and forward shaft lean at address and the DS incorporates all that?

If you don’t know, then maybe stop making incorrect statements?

There is both a weight shift and a pressure shift — and I assure you I am not using those terms interchangeably — in the downswing of good golfers.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nikos74 said:

@Soloman1  The head is in the same place, both with the BS and DS, but there is a considerable hip slide going on in the DS.  I am not sure why it doesn't affect the low point and cause consistency problems, ie fat and thin shots.  Maybe cause there was side bend and forward shaft lean at address and the DS incorporates all that?

consistency of a swing that consistently gets low point ~4” in front of the ball is a fundamental of iron play.

the good instructors here are helping people get that result, along with other things, that start and happen long before that.

how you pivot, sequence of movements, how/when you release, etc., based on how elite ball strikers do it is how you learn.

or learn to at least improve. if you can’t walk and chew gum, make free throws, hit a dartboard, eat without dropping food in your lap, you probably aren’t going to able to mimic the swing of tiger woods. be realistic and get some incremental improvement.

when you think about it, this place has an incredible amount of information. some good, most bad.

choose wisely.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Trying to "unthink" fifty plus years of "wrong think" is kinda difficult........

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Best iron player in the world…perhaps ever….now being told in a very derogatory fashion that his swing sucks because it’s a sway and a slide….

Priceless!

and yes @nikos74 that comment is for you.🤯

I didn't say he was swaying, I said he had some hip sliding.  But what difference does it make when you are the best player in the world scoring wise?  It's like saying jack nicklaus "sucks" because of his flying elbow. 

Swaying and sliding are known swing faults.  Every person has a different swing, but loosely speaking people fall into the sweep or dig category.  Sweeping is looked down upon and not used by most professionals, hence that awkward looking DS they use.  Matt Kuchar and tom pernice may be some notable exceptions.  I prefer minimum shaft lean and flat shoulders(unless the ball is teed up) at setup.

Edited by nikos74

3 minutes ago, nikos74 said:

Swaying and sliding are known swing faults.

They are when they are overdone or done improperly. You have said the weight doesn’t shift until after impact and that is just simply false. Virtually every good player shifts both weight and pressure well before impact.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

38 minutes ago, nikos74 said:

I didn't say he was swaying, I said he had some hip sliding.  But what difference does it make when you are the best player in the world scoring wise?  It's like saying jack nicklaus "sucks" because of his flying elbow. 

Swaying and sliding are known swing faults.  Every person has a different swing, but loosely speaking people fall into the sweep or dig category.  Sweeping is looked down upon and not used by most professionals, hence that awkward looking DS they use.  Matt Kuchar and tom pernice may be some notable exceptions.  I prefer minimum shaft lean and flat shoulders(unless the ball is teed up) at setup.

Perhaps you just were not clear then?  You did post that a weight shift in the BS is a sway….or are you claiming Tiger never shifts his weight in the backswing?  Do you think if both feet were on scales they wouldn’t show a shift to the back foot?

Note…you changed the parameters of what I said.  I said Tiger was arguably the best iron player…ever.  You changed it to best “scorer” which is not germane to the conversation.  He was/is the best iron player but you don’t seem to like his swing. 

Perhaps it’s your concept of “proper” that needs tweaking.🤔

• Like 1

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

4 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Perhaps you just were not clear then?  You did post that a weight shift in the BS is a sway….or are you claiming Tiger never shifts his weight in the backswing?  Do you think if both feet were on scales they wouldn’t show a shift to the back foot?

Note…you changed the parameters of what I said.  I said Tiger was arguably the best iron player…ever.  You changed it to best “scorer” which is not germane to the conversation.  He was/is the best iron player but you don’t seem to like his swing. 

Perhaps it’s your concept of “proper” that needs tweaking.🤔

He seems to do a pressure shift in his BS and a weight shift in his downswing, hence the hip slide.  Ben Hogan appears to have had a knee slide in his DS.  Does that mean he "sucks" or that even the best players have/had some imperfections?

Speaking of tiger didn't he change his original swing at some point of his career?  I thought he had a flatter swing early on.ben-hogan-sequence-e1579131685623.jpg

6 hours ago, nikos74 said:

It does affect the low point. That’s why every good player out there shifts weight forward on the downswing: it moves the lowpoint forward to set them up for a downward strike on the ball.

Fat and thin shots happen when there is a lack of forward weight shift. The low point is too far back and the player has to flip the club at the ball and depending on their timing the resulting shot can be fat, thin or sweeping the ball. That’s a swing which will never be consistent.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, nikos74 said:

He seems to do a pressure shift in his BS and a weight shift in his downswing, hence the hip slide.  Ben Hogan appears to have had a knee slide in his DS.  Does that mean he "sucks" or that even the best players have/had some imperfections?

Speaking of tiger didn't he change his original swing at some point of his career?  I thought he had a flatter swing early on.ben-hogan-sequence-e1579131685623.jpg

Your attached photo of Hogan shows as much “hip slide” as the Tiger pics.

Again, as much as you seem to dislike it perhaps two of the best ever IRON PLAYERS had the right idea?💡 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Zeph said:

It does affect the low point. That’s why every good player out there shifts weight forward on the downswing: it moves the lowpoint forward to set them up for a downward strike on the ball.

Fat and thin shots happen when there is a lack of forward weight shift. The low point is too far back and the player has to flip the club at the ball and depending on their timing the resulting shot can be fat, thin or sweeping the ball. That’s a swing which will never be consistent.

I am not implying people should keep their pressure on their trail foot to start the DS, that is indeed wrong aka off balance.  But instead of doing a weight shift to the lead foot, do a pressure shift to the lead foot, and then once the ball is hit allow a weight shift to the finish position.

So yes there is a WS in the DS, but not immediately from the transition.  Otherwise the low point moves prematurely and hitting the ball properly becomes a timing luck issue.  Whatever forward shaft lean existed at address due to the offset of each club should prevent most thin shots from occurring.

In my opinion.

Edited by nikos74
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nikos74 said:

I am not implying people should keep their pressure on their trail foot to start the DS, that is indeed wrong aka off balance.  But instead of doing a weight shift to the lead foot, do a pressure shift to the lead foot, and then once the ball is hit allow a weight shift to the finish position.

So yes there is a WS in the DS, but not immediately from the transition.  Otherwise the low point moves prematurely and hitting the ball properly becomes a timing luck issue.  Whatever forward shaft lean existed at address due to the offset of each club should prevent most thin shots from occurring.

In my opinion.

Then I guess Hogan and Tiger got lucky…all the time.

image.jpeg.211922ff1cb4044a3e29bb330ab91f77.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Then I guess Hogan and Tiger got lucky…all the time.

image.jpeg.211922ff1cb4044a3e29bb330ab91f77.jpeg

With enough practice you can get the timing down reasonably well, even for amateurs with tons of swing flaws, but consistency and accuracy are another issue.  Tour Pros and legends have exceptional athleticism so rather minor swing flaws present no problems to them.

In any case I am done arguing the same issue cause we are going off topic and it's getting silly.  The topic is hands create 70 percent of the speed in a golf swing.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

For the people that preach a pivot-driven. passive arms and hands swing:

I wonder how far they think they could hit the ball if they had some contraption with no levers or hinges attached to their shoulders that gripped the club and they had to swing it entirely with their body. I'm thinking maybe 40 yards, perhaps 50 with a well-executed Happy Gilmore.

• Like 2

See Monte’s broom force counter top drill. That explains, like the AMG guys, the importance of the hands and where they need to be and getting them started fast to help the whole sequence 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

See Monte’s broom force counter top drill. That explains, like the AMG guys, the importance of the hands and where they need to be and getting them started fast to help the whole sequence 

Speaking of which. Did this drill today and measured my max hand speed distance with the Dewiz. In moved it from 2.5ish to closer to 20 inches on most clubs. Now it needs a lot more ingraining but it’s a good start. My 7i went from 168 carry to 184 focusing on max hand speed distance.IMG_0419.jpeg.f8d4528046af132155ee1fa548a0a392.jpegIMG_0415.jpeg.45f4f559a6b43821fde2d55174f1957e.jpeg

6i also had an improvement. This first one smash may also be do en as I hit it a little toey. 

IMG_0413.jpeg.2e573225ee66291f4d5776d7466f4eed.jpegIMG_0411.jpeg.91e29c4434f27f3711350de892a28fda.jpeg

Edited by Rbsiedsc
Pics and video
  • Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2024 at 7:44 PM, iacas said:

Launch monitors didn't "prove" the ball flight laws - they used the ball flight laws to build their products.

High speed video could be said to have "proven" the ball flight laws. Measurements proved it. Launch monitors use those measurements to build algorithms to calculate some things.

I agree. Tomato tomato.

Launch monitors measure, they don’t have algos, that’s the software that interprets the data, but I’m sure you already knew that and are just confusing the two. 

Edited by Llortamaisey
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Llortamaisey said:

I agree. Tomato tomato.

Launch monitors measure, they don’t have algos, that’s the software that interprets the data, but I’m sure you already knew that and are just confusing the two. 

You’re either trying to play semantics to play gotcha and say the software and the monitor are two different things rather than a unit that combines the two. Or you don’t know that there are algorithms that are taking all the data that is captured.

• Like 1