2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

No personal coolers allowed

I usually take pride in following the rules.  But, I'm thinking about breaking this one.

It's going to hit triple digits tomorrow (>100F/38C).  I'm thinking about bringing a small lunch box/cooler full of ice to put towels in.  

I think they are concerned about people brining outside alcohol.  I am concerned about surviving 18 holes in the afternoon.  I'm not bringing alcohol and I intend to buy multiple drinks from the drink cart.

If you worked at a golf course, would you look the other way, or be annoyed at the obvious violation?

6 minutes ago, MarcellusW said:

I usually take pride in following the rules.  But, I'm thinking about breaking this one.

It's going to hit triple digits tomorrow (>100F/38C).  I'm thinking about bringing a small lunch box/cooler full of ice to put towels in.  

I think they are concerned about people brining outside alcohol.  I am concerned about surviving 18 holes in the afternoon.  I'm not bringing alcohol and I intend to buy multiple drinks from the drink cart.

If you worked at a golf course, would you look the other way, or be annoyed at the obvious violation?

Courses are all a bit different.

Coolers are often restricted because of alcohol. Also, because if you're bringing in drinks, even if the beverages are not alcoholic, that's less $$$ you're likely spending in the clubhouse or on the course buying drinks at stands or from drink carts. So they view it as losing revenue.

They also might have concessionaires, who pay the course for the right to sell beverages on premises. And they can't reasonably charge those people and not protect their business. I believe that sort of thing happens somewhat frequently on county/muni courses.

Likely, if the course does care a lot, if a ranger or somebody saw there was just water in there, and they saw your towels in there and you told them why you have it, they might not say anything.

If they only saw ice in there you might have an issue since IMO, one doesn't really need ice water on the towel. ANY water on the towel will cool you off.

Anyway, it likely depends on the course. 👍

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Here in Finland I bring a cooler with drinks with me more or less every time as the drinks at the halfway house have  extravagant prices whether alcohol containing or alcohol free beverages. Nobody EVER has said anything about it. If the halfway house wants to sell be beverages it is their choice to keep the prices at a reasonable level.

Btw OP, is it somewhere said that no beverages allowed other than purchased from the club's facilities?

3 minutes ago, MarcellusW said:

Nothing is said about outside beverages.

No outside alcohol and no personal coolers allowed.

You might want to call & ask although you might not like the answer. :classic_laugh:

However, I would think it's like most things, even the RoG. If there's no rule/law against it, it's allowed.

I mean, if you were caught, you'd simply say "I didn't see any notices about it", & the answer would be either "Fine, but don't bring it again", or "Please pour out the contents".

Ping Glide Pro 48*

1 hour ago, MarcellusW said:

True.

Since COVID's effect on most golf courses, water stations and mobile carts are nowhere to be found.  So, I started taking an insulated backpack with ice, a 24oz bottle of water, plus an additional 46oz bottle of ice water, food and snacks.  I only carry water.

If anyone asks, I show them what's inside and they say fine.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

True.

Since COVID's effect on most golf courses, water stations and mobile carts are nowhere to be found.  So, I started taking an insulated backpack with ice, a 24oz bottle of water, plus an additional 46oz bottle of ice water, food and snacks.  I only carry water.

If anyone asks, I show them what's inside and they say fine.

Starting to see beverage carts again, but finding a water cooler anywhere I play with water is pretty much impossible still.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcellusW said:

Go for it, anything that keeps us playing through a heat wave is a good idea!

I can’t imagine any course having an issue with this. Even a place like Streamsong that has coolers with water bottles on every other tee box (at least they did pre-Rona, not sure about now) should have no problem, especially during a heat wave. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

9 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

Starting to see beverage carts again, but finding a water cooler anywhere I play with water is pretty much impossible still.

Last week's round at a resort course, I saw a beverage cart with a 👀 babe driver.  The group in front of us were stopping her way too often, in hopes.  But that's another topic.  What's remarkable, courses still fail to teach the beverage cart drivers HOW not to effect POP.

• Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Bring the cooler and don't worry about it. Bring one of those blue cooling towels also. They work great for keeping body temp down. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

1 hour ago, jonsnow said:

Interesting. The course I play most often left the water coolers in place - they simply didn't fill them.

Now they're filling them up again.

I wonder if courses that removed them, over time, just threw them away ? And won't replace them unless there's a "hue and cry" ? LOL

Ping Glide Pro 48*

20 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

Interesting. The course I play most often left the water coolers in place - they simply didn't fill them.

I wonder if courses that removed them, over time, just threw them away ? And won't replace them unless there's a "hue and cry" ? LOL

The coolers are still there, guess I wasn't cleat. They are just no longer filled. It's a lot of work to keep them filled with ice in the Georgia heat

I was pretty impressed when I visited my FIL in Texas that at one course they not only had coolers on the carts, but they had big coolers at the pro shop full of ice and bottled water, free. Very cool of them. 

But yeah, at my local courses all they care about is outside alcohol.

I bring water and energy drinks and nobody ever says anything. I need to hydrate, people!

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

21 hours ago, nsxguy said:

At many courses, part of that decision not to replace coolers was guided by rising insurance liability costs.  On the West Coast, some people got deathly ill drinking water from containers that were never thoroughly cleaned before reuse.  At a couple of the pvt courses I visit, now provide coolers filled with sealed water bottles, like seen on tours.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I do the same thing -- just bring it and don't say anything.  If they challenge you, just show them that it's towels, ice, & water inside.

I live in a hot area, and there is one public course that has this same rule.  I made the mistake of going up and asking the starter if it was OK.  He started giving me all kinds of sh** about it even with me showing him the 2 gatorades I had just bought from the clubhouse.  I finally had to make him get his manager for me.  They eventually OK'd it with the "But don't try this again" warning.

I understand that there are liability issues related to people coming out and drinking a case of beer that the course didn't sell to them, but they need to have some common sense.  Especially when someone is proactively showing them exactly what they're using the cooler for.

Since then, though, I've gone to using a large insulated "water bottle" kinda like the one here - nobody has looked twice at it.

71dPTCJhEKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darkhelmet said:

I understand that there are liability issues related to people coming out and drinking a case of beer that the course didn't sell to them, but they need to have some common sense.  Especially when someone is proactively showing them exactly what they're using the cooler for.

It's literally against the law in some locations. The facility can lose their liquor licenses or worse.

Just call to ask. Tell them you'll show them what you have in the bag (towels, ice) at the pro shop or to the starter.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, jonsnow said:

The coolers are still there, guess I wasn't cleat. They are just no longer filled. It's a lot of work to keep them filled with ice in the Georgia heat

No worries.

I'm in SoFla. I don't know if they "keep them filled" but they do fill them in the morning.

Funny, but the 1st water cooler is between 5th green and 6th tee. It's usually fine around Noon, when we first get there but one day not along ago it was empty. The rest of them on the course had plenty of water.

I doubt they refill them during the day though.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Good grief. There is no reason to over explain yourself. Get your cooler with ice and water in it and go play. Unless you are obviously playing beer “golf” no one is going to notice or care. 

The alcohol license is the problem. Not the guy trying to avoid heat exhaustion. 

• Like 1

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Unless they have an obvious public declaration that coolers are strictly prohibited then it’s a bit like asking for permission to wear sunglasses.  Bringing your own Booze is often against the law so respect that.  If a course told me I could not bring a cooler with ice i would personally choose a different course to play.  In my experience if it’s not declared and pointed out to you then there is no reason to ask.  Can I bring a coffee mug with my morning latte?  Can u bring my own water bottle with electrolytes added like I would to any tennis court?  I’m going to assume yes.

my golf bag has a cooler built into it even.

• Like 1

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

14 hours ago, iacas said:

It's literally against the law in some locations. The facility can lose their liquor licenses or worse.

That is interesting, like the entire golf course was a restaurant where you cannot bring your own drinks. Are there other areas where the State controls alcohol purchases? Like public parks with bar or restaurant facilities inside? Is sivilized drinking in parks allowed at all? 

Is the law limited only to alcohol beverages?

18 hours ago, nsxguy said:

You might want to call & ask although you might not like the answer. :classic_laugh:

However, I would think it's like most things, even the RoG. If there's no rule/law against it, it's allowed.

I mean, if you were caught, you'd simply say "I didn't see any notices about it", & the answer would be either "Fine, but don't bring it again", or "Please pour out the contents".

😂 😂 100F and demanding to see what is in someone’s small cooler is going to cause a problem. Telling the player to pour it out is going to cause a big problem.

No course is going to do that unless the player is obviously drunk, and if you are shotgunning beers in 100F weather on the golf course, you may want to think about what you are doing. 

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

54 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

That is interesting, like the entire golf course was a restaurant where you cannot bring your own drinks. Are there other areas where the State controls alcohol purchases? Like public parks with bar or restaurant facilities inside? Is sivilized drinking in parks allowed at all? 

Depends on what the licence says and what state you are in.  Most golf course liquor licences encompass the whole course.  This is why outside alcohol is not allowed.  If not covering the whole course, you may be guilty of drinking in public.  Food and regular drinks are different.  It may violate the businesses rules but will not lead to a law violation.  

Public parks are different. Some liquor licences will be on premises only.  Which will only include the building in which it was purchased. You can't walk out with your beer.

Edited by 596

1 hour ago, mshills said:

😂 😂 100F and demanding to see what is in someone’s small cooler is going to cause a problem. Telling the player to pour it out is going to cause a big problem.

No course is going to do that unless the player is obviously drunk, and if you are shotgunning beers in 100F weather on the golf course, you may want to think about what you are doing. 

Well, you're probably right though you're projecting ("demanding") an obvious combative attitude, which I didn't.

And about nobody checking in that sort of heat, I'd agree. But if checking up & enforcing on the course rules causes a big problem, the course probably wouldn't want that guy there anymore anyway.

And if he's drunk that likely would cause an even worse problem especially since he likely won't be thinking about what he's doing,,,,,, 73b80a_e8a86f5f975a415d934045bef90864a6~

Ping Glide Pro 48*

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Most states have laws about where and when one can drink alcohol. And any venue that sells alcohol is required to have a liquor license of some sort.

And here in the States, most venues, withe a captive audience, have house rules against bringing in outside beverages or food of any kind.

e.g. sporting events, movie theaters, golf courses, etc. THEY want to make the profit on those items and they often charge 50-300% over what the consumer could buy the items for elsewhere.

After 9/11, every package/backpack/whatever has been searched before someone is allowed into such events.

Other than golf courses I haven't been to anything like that in a long time so I couldn't say whether that policy is still in effect, or has been eased. I'm sure others could expand on that.

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

The law in my county in my state events when serving alcohol in the parks or local events. Alcohol is sold where they have what they call "beer gardens". These are roped off areas where your id is checked before entry. You can purchase alcohol and drink it inside the ropes. You are not allowed to bring your own alcohol and you are not allowed to leave the roped off area with a drink you purchased.

I walk my dog in my local park. I carry hydro flask bottles with me. Sometimes their is water in them, sometimes wine, sometimes beer. I have never been bothered by the police but I have seen them check certain people's brown paper bags that hang out in the park. One officer told me it is a $25 fine if caught with an open container of beer.

1 hour ago, 596 said:

Depends on what the licence says and what state you are in.  Most golf course liquor licences encompass the whole course.  This is why outside alcohol is not allowed.  If not covering the whole course, you may be guilty of drinking in public.  Food and regular drinks are different.  It may violate the businesses rules but will not lead to a law violation.  

Public parks are different. Some liquor licences will be on premises only.  Which will only include the building in which it was purchased. You can't walk out with your beer.

That is very interesting. We in Europe often forget that USA is not a single country with same legislation everywhere but a collection of 50 different states with variyng laws and regulations.

Here in Finland we are gradually heading towards more allowing alcohol politics. For example, many bars and restaurants have a licence to sell alcohol beverages out, i.e. customers may come in and buy a bottle and take it away. Afa public parks are concerned it is up to every city how drinking is handled. A picnic with a drink or two per person is ok in most cities and the limit is seen in disturbance. Ten beers per person is not a picnic and thus not allowed.