To: NBC/Golf Channel Personnel

1 hour ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Please integrate more coverage like R&A Live at The Range.  Observing players on the range and short game practice areas is intriguing to the knowledgeable golf fan.  Hearing various players and their coaches summarize drills, concepts, and objectives while preparing for tournament golf is value added.

I’ve always wondered why On The Range was scrapped from tour coverage.  I do not work in media.  However, at face value I assume production costs are not exorbitant.  Everyone in my knowledgeable golf circle enjoyed On The Range more than any coverage that isn’t live tournament golf.

It’s telling that most on this global forum prefer European coverage along with Australian and Sunshine Tour coverage (when available) to US based productions.  Less sensationalized opining drivel and more behind the scene, inside the ropes, and course insights.  I’m an American from and residing in the SE as info.

My take on an old played out topic.  Inspired by how much I’m enjoying R&A Live at the range.  I could watch it all day which is not the case with the typical pre-tournament coverage.  

Send this to them. It's thoughtful and good. 

Not that it will do any good, but there's a lot of us thinking similarly. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bajadock said:

McGinley is a rare talent and glad he has a platform on Golf Channel.

Always enjoy his evolving hair color throughout the golf season! 😏

mcginleyHAIR.jpg

I like him, but I’d love him if he just polished up his delivery.  He fumbles over words sometimes and often can’t stop talking even after he’s made his point.  But I still enjoy listening to him, at least when he’s not with Brandel.

35 minutes ago, bajadock said:

I was

I was thinking the same thing, but he always looks sharp and think he is great on that show

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X  44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

PROV1

4 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

Please integrate more coverage like R&A Live at The Range.  Observing players on the range and short game practice areas is intriguing to the knowledgeable golf fan.  Hearing various players and their coaches summarize drills, concepts, and objectives while preparing for tournament golf is value added.

I’ve always wondered why On The Range was scrapped from tour coverage.  I do not work in media.  However, at face value I assume production costs are not exorbitant.  Everyone in my knowledgeable golf circle enjoyed On The Range more than any coverage that isn’t live tournament golf.

It’s telling that most on this global forum prefer European coverage along with Australian and Sunshine Tour coverage (when available) to US based productions.  Less sensationalized opining drivel and more behind the scene, inside the ropes, and course insights.  I’m an American from and residing in the SE as info.

My take on an old played out topic.  Inspired by how much I’m enjoying R&A Live at the range.  I could watch it all day which is not the case with the typical pre-tournament coverage.  

You, and your friends, and a lot of folks on WRX understand this - it is absolutely fascinating. 

And you are right, it probably does not cost that much to produce. But it is not absolute cost that matters - it is cost/benefit. For every golf fanatic, there are a few dozen casual golfers - many of whom only bother to actually watch golf on the final day of a major. Every hour of air time has to be paid for through advertising. This was a Tuesday, during work hours (in both the EU and US). I suspect ad prices had to be very cheap, as viewership was probably only in the tens of thousands. Only fanatics watch stuff like this. So as cheap as it probably was to produce, the networks probably barely broke even. 

There's likely a number of genuinely serious golfers that have written or emailed the networks something similar to your sentiments, and it is very likely that they flat out do not care at all. They already know there are a few fanatics out there (and what they want). And they know how very few that there are. Eyeballs drive ad revenues, and in most cases, I think US networks just decided that doing things this extensive just usually doesn't have the ROI they want. 

No idea whether this makes sense, but I suspect it is merely a numbers game.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

27 minutes ago, bobfoster said:

Only fanatics watch stuff like this. So as cheap as it probably was to produce, the networks probably barely broke even. 

Completely makes sense. The Networks are not in the business of breaking even. They'd rather run an old Ryder Cup rerun......

But what they can do is run the European coverage of "On the Range" coverage more often and sell more American advertising from that. Who knows......

But I suspect that it's all about dollars and cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wardonation said:

I was thinking the same thing, but he always looks sharp and think he is great on that show

I like McGinley on the show, and the way he gently tries to get into it with Brandel.  He's utterly unable to be objective about Rory though.  😀

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TS2 21*, Fujikura Atmos HB TS 8S

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

25 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Completely makes sense. The Networks are not in the business of breaking even. They'd rather run an old Ryder Cup rerun......

But what they can do is run the European coverage of "On the Range" coverage more often and sell more American advertising from that. Who knows......

It’s all about the $

As an example, it’s a simple fact that Tiger’s participation = ratings so the broadcasters will focus upon him at the expense of others while that holds true irrespective of how he’s playing 

• Like 1

Networks have trouble keeping viewers for four days of tournament play.  I just don't see them making investments to provide additional coverage of the driving range and practice areas. 

Once that first tee ball is struck on Thursday, all that talk and merriment from the range goes right out the window.  

OP, 

Please define a knowledgeable golf fan. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bajadock said:

mcginleyHAIR.jpg

His constant fawning over Rory is a bit annoying though.

AI Smoke Max 10.5 Ventus TR 5 R

AI Smoke 3HL Kai’li Red 6 R
AI Smoke 22 and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or Apex 21 Black KBS PGI 70

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response 

3 hours ago, bobfoster said:

You, and your friends, and a lot of folks on WRX understand this - it is absolutely fascinating. 

And you are right, it probably does not cost that much to produce. But it is not absolute cost that matters - it is cost/benefit. For every golf fanatic, there are a few dozen casual golfers - many of whom only bother to actually watch golf on the final day of a major. Every hour of air time has to be paid for through advertising. This was a Tuesday, during work hours (in both the EU and US). I suspect ad prices had to be very cheap, as viewership was probably only in the tens of thousands. Only fanatics watch stuff like this. So as cheap as it probably was to produce, the networks probably barely broke even. 

There's likely a number of genuinely serious golfers that have written or emailed the networks something similar to your sentiments, and it is very likely that they flat out do not care at all. They already know there are a few fanatics out there (and what they want). And they know how very few that there are. Eyeballs drive ad revenues, and in most cases, I think US networks just decided that doing things this extensive just usually doesn't have the ROI they want. 

3 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Completely agree, low viewership doesn’t sell ads.  Well aware they don’t care.  Just don’t like it🍻.  

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Networks have trouble keeping viewers for four days of tournament play.  I just don't see them making investments to provide additional coverage of the driving range and practice areas. 

Once that first tee ball is struck on Thursday, all that talk and merriment from the range goes right out the window.  

OP, 

Please define a knowledgeable golf fan. 

In reference to the context:

- One who appreciates the afore mentioned programming focusing on the best players in the world preparing for tournament golf.  Tournament history and course strategy as well.

Removing business interests, some of the more insightful programming on the “GOLF” channel imho.  

Disclaimer:  Opinions may vary

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Titleist99 said:

👍 Reason I lead with, “please integrate more”.  Don’t need the whole kaboodle.  Just a few hours a week.

Edited by Walter Sobchak
Grammar
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I enjoy it, watching it on YouTube right now via R&A, but when was "On The Range" ever a regular or consistent part of Tour coverage, let alone in any significant way?  There was never all that much to it when it was done and not every event - the only tournament through the years with consistent "On The Range" has been the Masters, and it was good once and lately not good at all.  More nostalgic than real.  

It's a niche thing not all that many viewers tune into, even this good version has me as only one of 4.6k viewers worldwide at the moment per YouTube.  Not much for viewership. GC had it for a short time this morning and now full into the regular "Live From", which isn't the range, and a vanilla segment at No. 12 with Scheffler and the 'stache that wasn't all that interesting.  

Beats watching "Sanford and Son" on Sundance, if "Andy Griffith" was on (alas, not on Wednesdays) I'd be going back and forth, though.  Still mostly cameras from afar watching guys hit range balls, occasional Trackman data and the occasional interview (cue complaints about any and all presenters) so a lot of fill in between the very occasional gems.  

Frankly the accents make it more interesting, lol, and these guys talking in the background from across the pond aren't the usual suspects so that's a plus, and again, I enjoy it, but right now watching Rickie hit wedges and some guy talking on his phone just isn't all that compelling.

Edited by Hawkeye77

The only interesting bit in the last 43 minutes was a guy with an alignment stick under his arm, lo,l and now seeing Shane Lowry in shorts - apparently psyching out the weenies in their wind pants.  Haven't had an interview for about 1/2 an hour, yack, yack, yack - even the accents are getting a little monotonous -- but yes, I'm still watching because I'm addicted to major championships, and hoping for that next possible gem which is likely to be first round live coverage.  LOL, now an interview with Tisha Alyn - who cares other than her pets?  Wait, she's "giving back" to the game (by making money in the world of golf and having this opportunity to promote herself) and now . . . back to . . . Tiger! He's hitting now, that I could watch for awhile.  

Still, why don't they do this all the time?  Proof is in this honestly somewhat boring pudding.  

Edited by Hawkeye77

On 7/16/2024 at 7:27 PM, bobfoster said:

What is funny, though, is the networks get a subscriber fee for every subscriber, yet they will bend over backwards to say "no viewers=no ads=no programming you might want."  

People fell hard for the "we promise if you pay for cable you won't see ads on the channels" spin back in the 80s.

Edited by golfortennis