2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Least enjoyable masters???

Forged in Japan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it very exciting, But then I have loved every Masters I have ever seen. Its my favorite week of the year hell I even played good today.

As for Immelman the first one is always the hardest.

1st in driving accuracy

1st in GIR's

4th in Driving distance

pretty good ball striking

I think a lot of people are disappointed because Tiger aint going to win the Slam he may not even win a Major this year?

I will take Tiger versus the FIELD at Torrey Pines any day of the week.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I found it very exciting, But then I have loved every Masters I have ever seen. Its my favorite week of the year hell I even played good today.

As for Immelman the first one is always the hardest.

1st in driving accuracy

1st in GIR's

4th in Driving distance

pretty good ball striking

I think a lot of people are disappointed because Tiger aint going to win the Slam he may not even win a Major this year?

I will take Tiger versus the FIELD at Torrey Pines any day of the week.

Did not Phil grow up there stat wise he beat Tiger bad this week the problem being he putted worse than Tiger.

Hopefuly by the US Open Phil will have his putting straightened out Tiger probably will too I also expect some more young players to step up as Immelman did this week. Honestly I just wish some more were Americans.

If I was where you are I would take that bet

Ken

I enjoyed watching Immelman execute every shot very well, but I was waiting for the minute he'd start making huge mistakes so that Tiger could make his charge.... Neither happened, whatev. I didn't enjoy this Masters very much. The 2005 Masters was by far the most exciting tournament I've seen in several years. IMO...

I think it was "understated" today simply due to the crazy conditions (25 mph winds)

The guys were just trying to survive the combo of wind and a now very long course.

Still fun to watch, although watching that rerun of the 78 Masters before was amazing!

I still love that era the most, the era of feel players and great putting. All the contenders were draining everything and going for broke on a back nine that allowed for risk and rewarded perfect shot making.

Not fair to compare, but I was glued to the set as they played it (I reven emember watching that as a 10 year old!)

I didn't enjoy this masters as much either but I will say wire to wire victories aren't as exciting in any tournament. In addition, immelman just isn't an emotional player and therefore appeared somewhat dull.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

My feelings exactly about the course. I've alluded to my feelings on here before and it seems that criticising Augusta is tantamount to high treason.

The course is now too long, and several holes have been made too narrow and forced the players into hitting clubs for their approaches that the greens were never designed to receive. The fact that the greens are now quicker than in years past just exacerbates the problem.

Most of the holes need restoring to something like they were five years ago, and a lot of the trees that have been snuck in need to be removed in my opinion. Holes like #4 and #7 need to be drastically altered, and #11 is now a ridiculous hole.

I agree with sandy that the par obsession apperas to have crept into Augusta - notwithstanding Immelman's score this week.

It all makes for a very staid Masters and the prospect of a thrilling finish with a glut of birdies and eagles is a very slight one now as a result.

I'm glad I've got '86 on tape to watch over and over.

Here's the thing.....As to the comments about the course being too hard..... The leader was -11 after 3 rounds. -8 won and there were 10 players under par. I'd say that's fine for the Masters given that there would have been a lot more under par had it not been for the wind today. It's different here in Georgia. We don't have wind on a regular basis, so courses have to be designed and setup as if there will be no wind. That's why when you do see wind at the Masters it makes scoring conditions extremely difficult. For comparison, when you look at many Open Championship Courses (which are designed and setup assuming the wind will be present), they are pretty much defenseless when there isn't any wind.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

i think the winning score at 8 under is a good total for the masters, it was just very windy and pretty hard conditions today. i was more disappointed that nobody challenged immelman...had someone stood up and challenged him a bit i think that immelman may have folded...it seemed like the pressure was getting to him early on and he got some good breaks and luckily sank a few clutch putts. watching him play 17 and 18 with only a one stroke lead after double bogeying 16 would have been much mre entertaining...his bunker shot on 17 may not have been so tight and his hands may have been a bit sweatier on that 3 footer for par...not to mention his second into 18 out of a divot. i just wanted a little more drama down the end. midway through the day i really thought flesch was gonna pull it out...until he just unravelled to my amazement

Well, it wasn't all that fun watching the same guy stay in the #1 spot and have absolutely NOBODY challenge him. I'm beginning to hate Cink...I keep wanting to root for him but he's got a case of the Sunday blues everytime he's in contention. As for Brant, well give him a few years. Feel good for T.I. - excellent work on a difficult course.

My only complaints are holes #17 and 18....after a fun stretch 11-16, those two holes just bore me....straight away long par 4s....booo for ending a major championship....18 could be a great par 5 if was lengthened a bit...would be nice opportunity for someone to step up.

Other than that, nothing is wrong with Augusta....-8 (and it really should have been lower, considering the soft conditions/easier pins Saturday and T.I. wet ball on #16) is like a respectable number...not too hard or easy. With most guys driving between 270-300, the added length really shouldn't be a problem. If Woods can't put in the fairway or that short rough, he needs to work more on his driving.

Well, it wasn't all that fun watching the same guy stay in the #1 spot and have absolutely NOBODY challenge him. I'm beginning to hate Cink...I keep wanting to root for him but he's got a case of the Sunday blues everytime he's in contention. As for Brant, well give him a few years. Feel good for T.I. - excellent work on a difficult course.

My only complaints are holes #17 and 18....after a fun stretch 11-16, those two holes just bore me....straight away long par 4s....booo for ending a major championship....18 could be a great par 5 if was lengthened a bit...would be nice opportunity for someone to step up.

Other than that, nothing is wrong with Augusta....-8 (and it really should have been lower, considering the soft conditions/easier pins Saturday and T.I. wet ball on #16) is like a respectable number...not too hard or easy. With most guys driving between 270-300, the added length really shouldn't be a problem. If Woods can't put in the fairway or that short rough, he needs to work more on his driving.

It doesn't matter how he drives it, if he can't make the putts. I thought he spanked the ball around pretty good. I agree that 17 is a little bit of a letdown. I enjoyed the high scores from last year's masters. :good:

beachgrovejuinor how do u choose immelman for both pools that seems like a total joke...

I chose him for the golfwrx one, as hes one of my favorite guys and i thought he would do pretty good, and then there was another pool where there were 10 different groups, of 5, so i picked him in that too, i guessed right :good:

My feelings exactly about the course. I've alluded to my feelings on here before and it seems that criticising Augusta is tantamount to high treason.

The course is now too long, and several holes have been made too narrow and forced the players into hitting clubs for their approaches that the greens were never designed to receive. The fact that the greens are now quicker than in years past just exacerbates the problem.

Most of the holes need restoring to something like they were five years ago, and a lot of the trees that have been snuck in need to be removed in my opinion. Holes like #4 and #7 need to be drastically altered, and #11 is now a ridiculous hole.

I agree with sandy that the par obsession apperas to have crept into Augusta - notwithstanding Immelman's score this week.

It all makes for a very staid Masters and the prospect of a thrilling finish with a glut of birdies and eagles is a very slight one now as a result.

I'm glad I've got '86 on tape to watch over and over.

Agreed, I liked it more when someone had the chance to eagle 13 and 15, make a few birdies on the par 4's and shoot 30 coming home if they played well. That used to be the beauty of Augusta, if you gambled you could be rewarded, or be punished depending on how well you played. Now if you dont hit it 330+ dead straight you have no chance for birdie. Too much like the US Open and the PGA IMO. Still a great tournament, but not nearly as exciting. Players like Seve would have a hard time winning there now, the creativity has been taken away to some extent, now it is more about accuracy, that is why Immelman and Zach Johnson are the last two winners.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The masters has become set up too hard. It has the same feel as a US open, fear of bad shots and no fireworks on the back nine like previous years. If you do not have the lead going into the final day you are pressed to make up ground on a tough course. I miss the Sunday back nine eagle, birdies and hole in ones. Masters where did you go?

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

It was a terrible Masters. Augusta is now a US Open Clone Course. The days of a back nine charge are over. I'm "old school" so I guess I must conform with the times.

Brandt's pace of play is so refreshing and his honesty at the news conference won me over. I'm a Brandt fan for life.

p.s.

Steve Flesch choked and gave up after 12.

This year's Masters sucked. Boring! Immelman's pre-shot routine is exactly why only die-hard golfers watch golf. Snedeker was refreshing at least. Phil fell apart, Cink always gasses, Casey is a d*ck, Flesch is a trainwreck (would have been fun to watch him be more in contention and then crumble),. Tiger is still unreal; how can he play terrible and finish second?

This year's Masters sucked. Boring! Immelman's pre-shot routine is exactly why only die-hard golfers watch golf. Snedeker was refreshing at least. Phil fell apart, Cink always gasses, Casey is a d*ck, Flesch is a trainwreck (would have been fun to watch him be more in contention and then crumble),.

Ouch. It played like a US Open today, very tough. And why would you wish bad on someone? That's a little ignorant I think. :good:

Agree totally that the course has not changed for the better...but let's blame technology for making obsolete the original layouts of some of the worlds finest courses. Tame is the word I would use to describe this years Masters.

Immelman won it in 8 under, which is acceptable for a major...he was out and out the best all week and thoroughly deserved his win. Snedeker was superb too. Also can't understand how if your fav player doesn't win - that makes the tournament less enjoyable.

My big negative on the commentary/coverage is that everything seems to be so contrived, passive, and near sterile.

I don't buy into this network bull$hit of trying to make every win a great story. Let the golf get back to speaking for itself....

Jack made the point years ago about technology overpowering the older/existing courses....so fast forward 10 years and Augusta is living proof. He is so darn right.

There are very few older courses that can still play true to design for the pro's. How can they when most guys are bombing it 50 yds over the hazards - or around the corners.....bring back the old course along with a ball that wont go much more than 280yds and make the courses a challenge for every facet of play once again. :good:

What exactly is exciting of a guy leading by 5 shots most of the way on the back 9 of the Masters?

They've ruined the course. It's impossible to shoot 31 or 32 on the back 9 anymore. There are no more comebacks left in Augusta.

As far as Tiger not winning a major. Let me get this straight, a month ago there's talk that he might not even lose A tournament this year, and so far his worst finish is 2nd place, and both times he didn't putt well.

I enjoy it every year but agree that it was not as exciting as past years. I do think CBS did a very good job. Feherty and Faldo deserve to do most of the talking, I enjoy Lundquist on 16 and keeping Clampett online only was smart.

Kind of dread the NBC team's coverage of the Player's and US Open. Unless you like to hear Rolfing and Maltby 'Well John', 'That's right John', 'I think so John' for 6 hours.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I remember sitting in my Hotel room last year and actually yelling out loud a few times in excitement on those last 9... Tiger chasing, and Zach keeping his head... I didnt know who to cheer for???

This year... just couldnt get into it... it really did seem dull?

Maybe if Tiger had managed to putt the way he normally does it may have been more exciting at the end?

A tight finish is always going to be more exciting.

Trevor I feel had "one of those weeks" where he was just "on fire" for the 4 days, and as per usual all the others (except Tiger) had their WOW round but couldnt string 4 together... (or even 2)

Still golf though :good: