2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

ANNOYING (and not) GOLFER HABITS/THINGS/ETIQUETTE

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree BIG time... The times I play with my brother, he's constantly badgering to "swing already". I'm like, "what the hell?"... no one's behind us, what's the problem? Golf is not his thing... he enjoys tennis more.

[quote name='cheeser' timestamp='1238278752' post='1587457']
The only thing that gets me is when people don't allow the fairway to clear before hitting. It's good to keep pace with the group in front but give the group at least 10-20 seconds to move away. It's obvious the dudes I play with now don't get it. I usually have honors ('cause they suck) and they always say, "dude, go." My response is always, "where's the fire?" If I can do it without holding up the group behind us, I'll let them get to the green if we're riding their butts all day, too.
[/quote]

Slow play
Db's that worry what others are playing or wearing
Looking for your ball in every hole for five minutes
Talking during my swing
Spitting on the green
Being hit into

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

• 3 weeks later...

-I don't mind slow players, just slow players who do not realize how slow they are.

-People who tee off while people ahead of them are still in the fairway. I don't care if its a par 5 or not. This isnt a car wash where we have to pack the people in one after another. Plus no one wants to be putting with a group sitting in wedge range waiting for them to leave.

-People who get mad at me for waiting until fairway is 100% clear to tee off.

played with a guy the other day who had a gold colored 62* wedge, he hit some super flop with it, shows me the club and says " i found this on the course"?.....you did what? you dont just find clubs on the course .....someone forgot their club by the green, you found it, and kept it. I dont think I have ever been more annoyed. I made fun of him all day.

I also hate people who pretend this is some gentlemans game, then cheat the first chance they get. hit your ball, go find it, and hit it again. all the rest is pretentious BS. most golfer need to get over themselves, chill out and hurry the hell up already.. ;)

I one time had a guy tell me "golf is a microcosm for life" I told him your life must be pretty pathetic if golf can define it.

Bad
-excessive practice swings and long routines that result in a continuous bad shots. The pulling up the sleeve guy Guys on TV do that because they get PAID and it's their job.
-folks who said "nice shot" "good swing" before knowing if it is. Complimenting because they think it's etiquette. It's not. Say good shot when it is a good shot otherwise it gets worn out
-the guy who always says "you go ahead" even if he had a birdie and you didn't.
-slow players- they almost always don't know they are slow and don't listen when you tell them.
-the guy who is always telling you the club he hit and then what you should hit - "I hit 7 iron you can hit 8" constant advice on what club I should hit. Play your game and don't plant your seeds on others
-ashes of any kind on the green
-the guy who stands in front of your line while you putt. Stay on folks back shoulder when they putt it's a nice courtesy.

Good
-hot cart girls
-ready golfers
-competition from folks who make you better
-eagles, birdies and pars

• 2 years later...

[u][b]BAD:[/b][/u]
1. People that use cell phones on the course or don't have the courtesy to put it on vibrate.
2. Talking in your backswing, on the green while you are putting.
3. Marking their ball on the green with a tee (For God's sake .... use a dime, coin of some sort!)
4. Commentary on every shot you take (wow you left that one a bit short, laid the sod over that one, etc.)
5. Walking thru/on your putting line .... as well as standing behind the line of sight behind the hole while your putting
6. People who wait on their 2nd shot to a par 5 after duffing their drive barely 200 yards ... you are not going to make it on your best day, shut up and hit it!!
7. Players who don't take enough clubs with them to the ball from the cart .... God forbid if it is cart path only! 150 yards out, you normally use a 7 iron, take the 8 and the 6 just in case. Nothing drives me more crazy than a guy walking back to the cart for another club!
8. Slow play .... people need to stop watching so much tv and play "ready" golf
9. Golf Rangers that seem to just ride around all day and do absolutely nothing while slow play continues.
10. People that just seem to run their mouth too much on the course ... I know that you are out with your friends but pick up the pace and stop shooting the S@*T so much ... be ready to hit when its your turn or again, play ready golf. IF the green is clear and your buddy is in the woods still looking, hit the D@*N thing!

[b][u]GOOD:[/u][/b]
1. Players who know the game and the rules
2. Etiquette
3. Players who take the time to bend over and fix a divot or repair a ball mark
4. Taking your hat off and shaking hands at the end of the round
5. Offering to buy a beer to the guys in your group who you just met (as long as it was an enjoyable round)
6. Respecting a good shot and saying absolutely nothing when someone hits a bad one
7. Marking your ball on the green in someones line with a small coin instead of your Poker Chip or small satellite in your pocket that can be seen from space
8. Yelling "Four" even if you think your ball is not going to come close to the people you just hit into ... just out of courtesy
9. Not offering advice unless someone asks for it
10. Assisting in finding someone else's ball, especially when you already know where yours is

I could go on for hours on this subject but I will stick with my top 10.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

• 3 weeks later...

I dont mind if you say go ahead and have the tee after making a birdie. That to me is etiquette.

I like the beer offer, that sounds great.

The thing that bothers me, is when I have a putt that is within 2 feet, and someone says that is good and picks up the ball and sends it my way. I want to earn my score.

[quote name='SpinMill75' timestamp='1238282809' post='1587638']
[b][u]Bad stuff - [/u][/b]

5. Golfers who pull out their rangefinder and shoot the flag.......thats still 280 away.

[/quote]

Why is this a bad thing? I do this all the time. Even if I can't get there, I'm making the decision of trying to leave it 20-30 short or really laying back, and often times, I know it's a layup, but I'm trying to lay up to a certain yardage. Knowing the the flag is 280 away v. 310 away changes what club I lay up with.

Not sure why this is a bad thing....

The whole hating on people waiting for the green to clear thing really gets to me..I'm sorry but I'd rather make the people behind me wait a few minutes then have to apologize to the guys in front of me for hitting a good shot. I've always liked getting as close to the green as possible so I'm always pulling 3 wood from 240+ even if I did hit a bad drive...does mis hitting a drive mean I have to lay up so as to not annoy the people behind me? The amount of times I've been yelled at for hitting one just short of the green from 250+ just makes it not worth it( especially as a young guy)

I guess it's a no win situation

Wow, long and old tread. Just waded through it and one discussion near the beginning brought up a thought.

Some responders favorably discussed "taking off your hat" at the end of a round when shaking hands and it also showed up on the "good things" list often. Others said that the hat thing did not matter. One post mentioned taking off one's sunglasses. But what was consistent was the expectation that shaking hands is a requirement.

My thought is that shaking hands is an antiquated and nonsensical relic of medieval times that has outlived its purpose. Sure, the handshake conveys a symbolic message but I prefer the more direct and verbal comments such as, "Enjoyable round", "Nice playing with you", or the like. Nothing needs to be said at the end when playing with some of the annoying players with habits noted in many of the posts.

I have been seen as a social iconoclast in the past so maybe it is just my take on the subject. Similarly, I don't clap my hands or hoot and holler at events of any kind.

Ready for the flames.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='import49erz' timestamp='1239510462' post='1622784']
Couple things that really piss me off.

Played a round at a shorter course a couple months ago so me and my friend decided to play from the blue tees. So we got paired up with the these 2 hackers and thats when it went all down hill:

- first hole - topped driver (it happens so I let it go)
- so he got to about 200 yards from the hole (up hill), and he was out but he just kept standing there waiting for the green to clear (he topped it and advanced 50 yds only) - noticed they were hackers here
[/quote]

As a new golfer, I'm kind of purusing this thread to see if there are any etiquette things I'm missing, but is seems a bit of this is people that just can't tolorate poor golfers. I CAN and have hit my hybrid 200 yards, so yeah, if I'm that far out and someone is on the green I'm going to wait just in case I get into it. That doesn't mean I WILL get it flush though, and topping isn't unlikely. I'm not sure the better choice is risking hitting into someone on the green because I PROBABLY won't get it there. I'd rather way an extra minute and a half than risk hitting someone.

Sto Pro Veritate

[quote name='MiuraPro' timestamp='1238360841' post='1589517']
[quote name='jshiver15' post='1588272' date='Mar 28 2009, 11:55 PM'][quote name='kingheatly' post='1587897' date='Mar 28 2009, 09:17 PM']if you aren't a 2 or lower, get rid of the staff bag.[/quote]I find that a bit judgmental and shallow, to say the least.If anything, a staff bag is a thing of "golf fashion." Why should it matter what your handicap is? If you want to rock a big leather bag, then more power to you.[/quote]this is to kingheatly and the rest of ya'll that continually post about staff bag posers.... Get over it....Staff Bags have nothing to do with a golfers skill set, so quit judging them as posers. I choose the use of a staff bag for several reasons, I am a diabetic, that is in very good health but I still need to watch myself and dehydration playing golf here in the southeastern u.s. So I choose to ride. Hoofers just do not cut it for riding....period. As for cart bags they maybe a good choice for some, but for me and probably many other staff bag users think Cart Bags are gimacky. i.e. 14 club pockets, a million, zillion pockets of no useless size on cart bags. just put several good sized and a large pocket on the cart bag, like a well made carry bag, plus a majority of the cart bags have too many colors, and designs and a majority of them look like they come from outer space. A great cart bag would be an appropriately sized traditional staff bag for riding in a cart. Too me there are two types of bags that have a traditional appearance in the game of golf. A carry bag or a staff bag. They are traditional. Cart bags are not, I think they are novelty bags. i.e. special putter wells, special sleeve for dispensing balls, little fastners for towels, gloves, sharpies, built in beverage coolers. Are you getting my point. These are the bags being used by the golfers going on a 5 hour picnic.....Everybody on this site needs to get over there staff bag issue. It has zip, nadda anything to do with a golfers ability or what there ability should be.
r/MiuraPro
[/quote]

I quite agree with your perspective on Staff bags.
Now, what is the difference between the OP post on Staff bags, and your ramblings about cart bags? None is the correct answer.
I find it strange that you dress down Mr. Staff bag objector, and then do exactly the same thing by ragging on cart bags.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

[quote name='garywdixon' timestamp='1385054570' post='8184026']
Wow, long and old tread. Just waded through it and one discussion near the beginning brought up a thought.

Some responders favorably discussed "taking off your hat" at the end of a round when shaking hands and it also showed up on the "good things" list often. Others said that the hat thing did not matter. One post mentioned taking off one's sunglasses. But what was consistent was the expectation that shaking hands is a requirement.

My thought is that shaking hands is an antiquated and nonsensical relic of medieval times that has outlived its purpose. Sure, the handshake conveys a symbolic message but I prefer the more direct and verbal comments such as, "Enjoyable round", "Nice playing with you", or the like. Nothing needs to be said at the end when playing with some of the annoying players with habits noted in many of the posts.

I have been seen as a social iconoclast in the past so maybe it is just my take on the subject. Similarly, I don't clap my hands or hoot and holler at events of any kind.

Ready for the flames.
[/quote]

Why would you get flamed?

I take my hat off and sunglasses. I think it's a bit harsh to call it "an antiquated and nonsensical relic of medieval times". It's simply the gentlemanly thing to do and shows respect for the people you just finished playing a round of golf with. If you choose not to do it that is your choice.

[quote name='garywdixon' timestamp='1385054570' post='8184026']

Ready for the flames.
[/quote]

Come on dude. You don't clap at events of any kind? You sound like a blast.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1385355925' post='8202880']
Why would you get flamed?

I take my hat off and sunglasses. I think it's a bit harsh to call it "an antiquated and nonsensical relic of medieval times". It's simply the gentlemanly thing to do and shows respect for the people you just finished playing a round of golf with. If you choose not to do it that is your choice.
[/quote]

I always shake hands. But I never take my hat off...because if I did the whole group would burst out in laughter...I get the world's worst hat hair. Hat doesn't come off til I am in the locker room and can dunk my head under a sink.

[quote name='mattsuth87' timestamp='1385014445' post='8182322']
The whole hating on people waiting for the green to clear thing really gets to me..I'm sorry but I'd rather make the people behind me wait a few minutes then have to apologize to the guys in front of me for hitting a good shot. I've always liked getting as close to the green as possible so I'm always pulling 3 wood from 240+ even if I did hit a bad drive...does mis hitting a drive mean I have to lay up so as to not annoy the people behind me? The amount of times I've been yelled at for hitting one just short of the green from 250+ just makes it not worth it( especially as a young guy)
[/quote]

I think this is generally talking about the golfers who have completely unrealistic expectations, and sit in the fairway waiting for the green to clear from 280, when the best drive of their lives tops out at 230. Not the guy who hits an occasional bad drive and then hits the green or close to it in two.

Though as someone who has had the group behind me grumble audibly from the tee box when I am waiting to hit my second shot on a par 5, there is no better feeling than putting it on the green and then turning around with a smirk

[u]Good:[/u]
Your foursome plays "ready golf"
Each round ends with a handshake
Seeing a fantastic shot regardless if it's from you or a competitor
playing with a group that makes you play your "A" game

[u]Bad:[/u]
Slow playing
Not letting another group play through
overly long setup routines
people who don't rake their bunkers
people who don't repair their divots
people who don't repair their ball marks
someone talking during a swing or putting stroke
playing with someone who refuses to stop looking for their lost ball

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]Talking/yelling loudly on the golf course. Today, my buddy was trying to tee off when two morons on the adjoining fairway decided it was a good idea to talk "LOUDLY" about where to park the cart.

God forgive anyone who gets a bird (makes a long put), is it really necessary for all four guys to scream loudly.[/quote]

People talking/yelling on the course is my number one complaint. So many people act as though their group is the only one on the course. It's very rude. I take my game seriously. You notice when the pros play the marshalls put up their hands to silence the gallery. I think it should be the same for amateurs.

I also can get very bothered when my partners need to comment after every shot they make. That is boorish. If you can't muster an internal dialog about your game you are pathetic.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1238278916' post='1587467']
[quote name='bfactor1282' post='1587444' date='Mar 28 2009, 06:12 PM']People who carry their bags across the practice green, or any green for that matter. It probably doesn't add any measurable wear/damage on the green, but it's just a pet peeve of mine.[/quote]
I don't get it. Why would that bother you? [b] Not like they're pulling a cart across the green.[/b]
[/quote]And what if they were pulling a cart across the green? What's so bad about that? Your footfalls are going to make a much greater impression on a green than the wheels of a pull cart (especially if you are carrying a golf bag full of clubs, etc.). All kinds of horrible things are happening on this planet at this very moment. Yet some grouch will yell at me if I pull my cart across a green. It's nuts.

People talking/shouting when I'm hitting (Whether they are in my group or otherwise -- many foursomes/threesomes/etc. seem oblivious to the fact that they do not have the course to themselves).

People who are compelled to comment after every shot, good bad or otherwise. If it's their own shot, I have to think they are clueless. How can you hope to improve your game if your commentary is not internal? If it's a reaction to my shot? Well, it's humiliating to hear someone praise me when I've just hit a shot that falls far short of what I intended to play.

People who don't stand still while I'm over my putt.

People who don't replace their divots.

People who don't repair ball marks.

People who don't rake bunkers they've ravaged.

People throwing candy bar wrappers etc. on the course.

People who toss their breaking tees on the teeing area.

People who park their golf carts where you are apt to hit.

Engines - e.g. maintenance personnel chainsawing limbs, many other instances disturbing the peace, including cars, trucks and motorcycles on nearby roads.

The smell and toxicity of exhaust from course maintenance and etc. vehicles wafting over the course.

Bad play, careless play. It's hard to play good golf when you're playing with complete duffers who are doubling your score. As the saying goes, "it's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys." Most amateurs' approach is by and large haphazard. It's demoralizing to play with them. Of course, if you don't pick your partners you have to accept what you get. However, there's no denying that it's denigrating to the spirit to be in their company if they don't apply themselves to their game when you are really trying to improve yours. You just have to try to bring your A game to every shot regardless, but there's no denying the fact that playing with careless players is a hindrance to developing your own game.

"Partners" with horrible swings. Arnold Palmer in his 495 Golf Lessons counsels you to not watch their swings. It can only foster bad habits to observe the bad qualities of most amateurs' swings. I try not to, but sometimes (when there might be an issue finding their ball) etiquette requires me to observe their shot, at least to the extent I can help them find their ball.

Others' comments on my play (except when they complain for selfish reasons) generally do not bother me. If they are really trying to be constructive I will listen and often benefit, especially if they really know their golf. Some people don't seem appreciative when you give them tips, but I usually am very receptive to earnest well-meaning criticism.

[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1386955841' post='8295079']
People talking/shouting when I'm hitting (Whether they are in my group or otherwise -- many foursomes/threesomes/etc. seem oblivious to the fact that they do not have the course to themselves).

People who are compelled to comment after every shot, good bad or otherwise. If it's their own shot, I have to think they are clueless. How can you hope to improve your game if your commentary is not internal? If it's a reaction to my shot? Well, it's humiliating to hear someone praise me when I've just hit a shot that falls far short of what I intended to play.

Engines - e.g. maintenance personnel chainsawing limbs, many other instances disturbing the peace, including cars, trucks and motorcycles on nearby roads.

The smell and toxicity of exhaust from course maintenance and etc. vehicles wafting over the course.

Bad play, careless play. It's hard to play good golf when you're playing with complete duffers who are doubling your score. As the saying goes, "it's hard to soar like an eagle when you work with turkeys." Most amateurs' approach is by and large haphazard. It's demoralizing to play with them. Of course, if you don't pick your partners you have to accept what you get. However, there's no denying that it's denigrating to the spirit to be in their company if they don't apply themselves to their game when you are really trying to improve yours. You just have to try to bring your A game to every shot regardless, but there's no denying the fact that playing with careless players is a hindrance to developing your own game.

"Partners" with horrible swings. Arnold Palmer in his 495 Golf Lessons counsels you to not watch their swings. It can only foster bad habits to observe the bad qualities of most amateurs' swings. I try not to, but sometimes (when there might be an issue finding their ball) etiquette requires me to observe their shot, at least to the extent I can help them find their ball.

Others' comments on my play (except when they complain for selfish reasons) generally do not bother me. If they are really trying to be constructive I will listen and often benefit, especially if they really know their golf. Some people don't seem appreciative when you give them tips, but I usually am very receptive to earnest well-meaning criticism.
[/quote]

Sounds like you could take a few lessons in humility. You sound like a charmer.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1386967389' post='8296075']
[quote name='Muse' timestamp='1386955841' post='8295079']

[/quote]

Sounds like you could take a few lessons in humility. You sound like a charmer.
[/quote] I suggest you look in the mirror.

Kinda laughed at some posts on here. Some folks really need help. Some did have valid points. Really I don't care any more I used to play some mini tours and play for somewhat big money but I have not played competition for some 4 years now. I just play for fun. Being in a tourist area you have to be flexible and let some things slide. I have some different folks I play with at different private exclusive courses to folks I play with at public courses.
1- In a tourist area we have those that have different attitudes " I am on vacation here and my dollars help support your economy and I paid my money so I will play as slow as I want to" I wont be here next week so I will not fix ball marks and divots I don't care.
2- We are going to play a speed round momma and the kids are at the pool and we can get in another round before 6:00 when we have to go eat and go to the rides. Should have vacationed closer to home or planned your activities better.
3- The ash thing does annoy me somewhat especially big cigar ashes on the green
4- Trash on the course Darn near every course here has a trash container on each tee box and the carts have compartments and baskets on them for that purpose. Do you trash up your home course like that?
5- Treatment of staff at courses. Just because you are on vacation does not mean you can treat staff at courses like crap Do you do that in your community where you live and every one knows you?
I have been paired with a lot of visitors over the years and have met some great people and have formed some lasting friendships and get phone calls when they are coming down and we get together and play
As far as rules go most of the guys that I play with are retired and play for fun and circumnavigate the rules etc but who cares? I am not playing them for money I am having fun. Heck I am not the rules police. I don't play in any golf leagues because the guys are always complaining about cheating and such it does not define fun for me
I play my game and play by the rules but that is me.
I did have a guy that I was paired up with ask me if marking his ball with a poker chip bothered me. I said no he was surprised he said that some people complained about it
Since I am "retired" from competitive golf I don't sweat the small stuff like people standing too close moving when I am ready to hit etc. My pet peeves are the ones listed above and I see it so much that I let it roll off me now and enjoy the game

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

[quote name='tooms' timestamp='1305422814' post='3234454']
-I don't mind slow players, just slow players who do not realize how slow they are.

-People who tee off while people ahead of them are still in the fairway. I don't care if its a par 5 or not. This isnt a car wash where we have to pack the people in one after another. Plus no one wants to be putting with a group sitting in wedge range waiting for them to leave.

-People who get mad at me for waiting until fairway is 100% clear to tee off.
[/quote] I can't stand this as well. I always give people the courtesy of letting them get well beyond tee shot range when I tee off on 1, but people rarely extend that same courtesy. I can't tell you how many times I am over my second shot in the first fairway and I either hear a tee shot being hit from the first tee or worse a ball land in the fairway 30 yards from me. Then I get to the green and they are standing in the fairway waiting to hit while my group is putting. I never understood starting right on top of someone.

Good:
- Playing with good company who are there to enjoy the round, even if they are randoms
- Starters on the course that are paying to attention to groupings and tee times
- Players who respect the course and the people playing it
- Playing year round because Texas Muni-Courses are usually always in the same shape :D
- End of round beers

Bad:
- Folk who are demeaning to newbies who are just starting to learn
- People who never played a round with me, rushing me, when the green/fairway is not clear thinking I can't make it because they can't
- Those who don't repair ball marks on the green, especially on par 3's
- Players who forget that at the end of the day it is just a game, and the only person you are actually playing is yourself

People who spend an excessive amount of time looking for their ball. Don't buy expensive balls if you are going to get upset about losing them.

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

[quote name='Laznasty' timestamp='1387743840' post='8336067']
People who spend an excessive amount of time looking for their ball. Don't buy expensive balls if you are going to get upset about losing them.
[/quote]

On top of this, how about when somebody pulls out a ball retriever when the ball went in the middle of the lake?

Even worse...when the ball retriever comes out and their ball is already in play in the fairway.

EVEN WORSE..WORSE..WORSE is when this happens while people are waiting on the tee.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

• 3 months later...

[quote name='prodigy2 ' timestamp='1238273681' post='1587323']
when someone says "wow you really left that one short"
[/quote]

"go ball" when it is clearly going to be short of the green
OR
"get some legs" ... or ... "does your sister play" when you leave a putt considerably short

Driver: Titleist TSR3 UST Mamiya Prototype  

Fairways: Titleist TS2 13.5* UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue

Utility: Titleist U500 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue HB

Irons:  T350 4 & 5, T200 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges: Vokey SM9 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Proto 

Ball: ProV1 Left Dot

One thing that annoys me is people saying that golfers should "not wait" when they are 250+ away on a par 5 or on a short par4 because they just saw the guy shank one and there's no way he could of gotten there. These are the same people that will get mad if that same dude smokes it near the green and they are in the group in front. Can't have it both ways.

[quote name='Girevik' timestamp='1385127994' post='8189334']
[quote name='import49erz' timestamp='1239510462' post='1622784']
Couple things that really piss me off.

Played a round at a shorter course a couple months ago so me and my friend decided to play from the blue tees. So we got paired up with the these 2 hackers and thats when it went all down hill:

- first hole - topped driver (it happens so I let it go)
- so he got to about 200 yards from the hole (up hill), and he was out but he just kept standing there waiting for the green to clear (he topped it and advanced 50 yds only) - noticed they were hackers here
[/quote]

As a new golfer, I'm kind of purusing this thread to see if there are any etiquette things I'm missing, but is seems a bit of this is people that just can't tolorate poor golfers. I CAN and have hit my hybrid 200 yards, so yeah, if I'm that far out and someone is on the green I'm going to wait just in case I get into it. That doesn't mean I WILL get it flush though, and topping isn't unlikely. I'm not sure the better choice is risking hitting into someone on the green because I PROBABLY won't get it there. I'd rather way an extra minute and a half than risk hitting someone.
[/quote]

You've got it right. Don't worry. If there is a small or even very small chance you may reach someone, you don't hit the ball. The extra pace of play you pick up on that one shot (which incidentally is irrelevant as long as you keep up with the group ahead for the rest of the round) is not worth the risk of hitting someone in the head with a golf ball. Maybe the people whining about you waiting should be the ones to explain to the guy's wife that their husband is dead because it is important to keep up the pace of play.

Waiting for a green to clear is NEVER a bad thing.