2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Do you putt out?

A poll to see how commonly your personal "putting policy" is u
I'm curious as to how folks deal with short putts in your typical stroke play.

Unless I'm given a putt in match play, for decades I've made sure to putt out every putt on every single hole, even if it's an inch. (I figure if I'm giving myself an inch today it will be up to a foot next week and two feet the next, so it's safer to never even think about it. Slippery slope and all that.) But other than when playing with my circle of friends, who do the same, I rarely get paired with a stranger who does this. And they in fact often try to pleasantly "give" me putts, despite the fact that we're not in a match with each other and they are technically in no position to "give" me anything.

Please vote and then sound off as to whether or not it's important you to hole out, or how you see various conditions effecting your decision.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I'm given a putt in match play, for decades I've made sure to putt out every putt on every single hole, even if it's an inch. (I figure if I'm giving myself an inch today it will be up to a foot next week and two feet the next, so it's safer to never even think about it. Slippery slope and all that.) But other than when playing with my circle of friends, who do the same, I rarely get paired with a stranger who does this. And they in fact often try to pleasantly "give" me putts, despite the fact that we're not in a match with each other and they are technically in no position to "give" me anything.

most ppl who play golf aren't anywhere near as serious about the game as you and your friends. for most ppl, golf is for fun, recreation, and socializing. and it's not fun for many ppl to feel like they have to make every putt as if they were in a real competition.

I don't always putt out, no. But it has to be practically in the damn hole -- i mean an inch or two. And usually I just ask the person tending the flag to knock it back to me so we can move on to the next hole. If it's within a distance that I would feel comfortable using the toe of my putter to tap it in, then I just speed up play and move on.

And they in fact often try to pleasantly "give" me putts, despite the fact that we're not in a match with each other and they are technically in no position to "give" me anything.

i've always been confused by that. sometimes i think they think i'm being rude by putting out. like "i'm too good for you to give me putts." but the truth is i'm playing the course and they can't give me the putt. it has nothing to do w/ them. what's worse is when strangers pick up my ball w/o me asking them to. don't touch another man's balls w/o asking! it's a universal rule.

You never know when you're going to shoot a personal best. Will you feel it's legit if you didn't putt out on each hole?

nope. but then again, if it's a casual round where i didn't putt out on each hole, it would never be considered for a personal best score to begin with. on another note, i've found it rather common that ppl are annoyed and/or intimidated when one tries to observe the rules of golf faithfully when playing a casual round.

The guys I play with never really putt it out. Were all pretty decent players and usually playing for something so anything inside 3 feet is usually conceded by the others...of course unless its a short bender and downhill type of putt. Now the very rare time I play outside of my circle of friends and get paired with people that putt them out then I'll putt them out. But there is nothing worse than playing golf on a crowded course with the group in front of you going through a 45 second pre shot routine to tap in a 1.5 foot putt.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

When not in tournament play, the group I play with usually give putts that are tap-ins to save time. The only thing I am a stickler about is anything for a birdie (or better). I always putt those out (old Harvey Pennick saying, its not a birdie if you didn't putt it).

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

When not in tournament play, the group I play with usually give putts that are tap-ins to save time. The only thing I am a stickler about is anything for a birdie (or better). I always putt those out (old Harvey Pennick saying, its not a birdie if you didn't putt it).

+1

Putting out every time, even in a casual round with friends is only going to end up in slow play.

I've always kinda felt like the point of the game is to get the ball in the hole. You've come all this way, why not? There's something satisfying about finishing it off to me. The sound, etc. Probably a bad example, but picking up is like hitting a homer and heading for the dugout after you round 3rd or something. ;) No fun in that!

I do think people take short ones too much for granted in general. Even little 2 footers are eminently missable if you don't pay attention as I'm sure we've all experienced. I see some people I play with kind of rake the ball to the hole, miss it, miss it again, and then score it like they made the first. If you want to learn how to really score, it ain't helping you to do that. But if folks don't care about that and just want to have some fun, no biggie - I'm no stickler.

Not sure it really slows down play to putt out - unless you're marking and going through some long routine for a tap-in. I've never really seen anyone do that except for the occasional pro on the TV. If it's something you'd read and take any real time on, it probably isn't a gimme anyway, is it?

But to each their own and all that...

Personally "I" always putt out! What's the point of playing if you don't, it's the object of the game?

I do give putts. If that player wants to take it, that's up to them (social games).

If someone offers me a putt (social) i say thanks but i always putt out, its my thing.

I don't know of any other sport/game that "gives" goals/points/runs etc so why should we in golf.

To say it helps speed up play is rubbish, it takes seconds to tap in.

Also, if the one left is that "long" and you feel the need to line up, that means you know thiers a chance you could miss it.

Play the game.

+1

Putting out every time, even in a casual round with friends is only going to end up in slow play.

+2

Don't waste time on putts less than 6" when not in a competition.

I like the sound when the ball goes in the cup. I have to hear it.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I always putt out because I'm always in stroke play. All my rounds are casual but I'm trying to track my progress.

I don't see why a 6 inch putt would cause slow play. Slow play is caused by slow players. Errant tee shots cause things to slow down more then a real short putt in my experience. So I guess people should just drop their ball in the fairway to speed up play. Yes, this is tongue in cheek, but technically there is no difference between a short putt and any other stroke in the game. Every stroke has the potential for a penalty or not to hole out.

That said, I don't care how anyone else plays their game. The guys I play with will pick up instead of putting out at times. It's all good since these are casual rounds.

I find this interesting. You have to hear it? Is it like a drug or something? Even on 1 footers? Lucky guy.

This came up recently:

How about in match play?

For instance if I am giving a stoke, and I have a disaster and make double bogey 5. The other guy lies 2 with a three footer left. At that point he can beat me with a 3-putt from 3 feet.

The guy says "No, I like to putt them out," and proceeds to 3 putt for a 5, net 4. He wins the hole and pads his handicap.

Is there any way to stop this?

The only time I don't putt out is if in a casual round, I have had a disaster of a hole, and I am lying double bogey and am not on the green yet, and the group behind us is waiting. I'm going to have to adjust it for ESC to enter anyway, and if I've done that, typically I'm not challenging my all time best anyway, so it's not as though I'm de-legitimizing a good score.

Having said that, in over 30 rounds this year(should be more--damn weather!) I have done that twice.

I've asked several times how to handle the situation, because, not only will guys say "that's good" when we're not playing a match, but they'll actually knock the ball back when I have never given any indication that that is my intention. I like to hear the rattle. I come all this way to hear the rattle, I want to hear the rattle. I don't care what you do with your ball, it's your score, game and conscience, but leave mine alone.

I've been told to say something on the first tee about working on short putts so I will putt them out, but it becomes a question on nearly every hole, because it almost seems like a game to them get me to not putt one out. If you don't say anything, then you run the risk of having to tell someone after the fact that they should not be touching your golf ball, and looking like an Word not allowed.

As I'm typing this, it occurs to me, particularly at the club I joined this year, I haven't quite gotten my game to the level I want, which is to say not being out of place at all playing with the best golfers in the club. So most of my rounds so far have been played, for varying reasons, with 10+ handicappers. Is this a higher handicapper phenomenon? I may be getting cloudy, but I used to play a lot with the better players at my old club, and I don't seem to remember ever needing to be concerned.

Something flawed in this poll... All the answers have to do with giving YOURSELF putts. You CAN'T give yourself a putt. Your opponent can give you a putt.

This came up recently:

How about in match play?

For instance if I am giving a stoke, and I have a disaster and make double bogey 5. The other guy lies 2 with a three footer left. At that point he can beat me with a 3-putt from 3 feet.

The guy says "No, I like to putt them out," and proceeds to 3 putt for a 5, net 4. He wins the hole and pads his handicap.

A concession can not be declined or withdrawn.

There are some considerations to follow when turning in a score from a match play round as it applies to uncompleted holes.

"A player who starts, but does not complete a hole or is conceded a stroke must record for handicap purposes the most likely score."

A player who would take extra strokes to pad his handicap is not following the spirit of the handicapping system and is subject to sanctions by the committee.

The way to stop it is to report the cheater to the handicap committee.

On weekdays when were not playing for money or dont keep a card inside a foot we give putts regularly but when in matches or posting for handicap we putt them all in , when im playing alone sometimes i putt them all in and sometimes i dont , i get in practice mode when i play alone and more concerned about ball striking vs. putting anyway

Something flawed in this poll... All the answers have to do with giving YOURSELF putts. You CAN'T give yourself a putt. Your opponent can give you a putt.

The poll is about stroke play, where no one can give you a putt, even your opponent. The questions have to do with whether or not you choose to violate that rule.

I've started putting everything out, just to get used to the sound of the ball hitting the bottom of the cup, wether it be from 3 feet or 3 inches i try to knock them in.

Had major putting problems about a month ago missing 2 and 3 footers constistanly, since ive started putting out, i have become so much more solid from 5 feet and in.

I am a bit of a beleiver that hearing ball hit the bottom of the cup, boosts confidence. and you eventually get used to it, and in time the 3 and 4 footers become routine,

I've noticed the people who tend to give themselves the putt or look to you to give them the Putt are the ones who dont hole out all the time and the reason for this i have noticed is that on the short ones they arent very confident and very often miss them.

I used to give myself all putts within the leather, as I was only playing for fun, and not keeping a handicap. Before I started keeping a handicap, I joined the egolf tour. As in any stroke play tournament, there are no gimmies, and you have to putt everything, even if it is hanging over the lip. In a tournament, I walked up and casually tapped a 6" putt, and misse. Since then, I dont care if it is a practice round or not, I putt everything. I'm also keeping a handicap index now, so I have to, but just missing the 6" tap was enough regardless.

I used to take putts inside the grip (that’s the length of the grip not the length of the shaft). A few years ago I was playing with a guy named Cleve Beasley in Salt Lake and another guy. We were playing skins (straight stroke play) for a $1 a hole with carry-overs. This guy stiffs it on 16 inside a foot. I hit it to about 8 and when I walked passed him, as he was marking his ball, I said that’s good. He looked at me kind of funny and I said it’s good, isn’t it Cleve? Cleve responded, well if it’s good then why don’t he just go ahead and tap it on in. Cleve taught me a good lesson that day. If you’re playing stroke play and you feel like it’s good (that means there no doubt you can make it), then why not just go ahead and tap it in?

Now back home in Florida I’ve continued to putt all my putts out as well as asking others to do so if there’s a bet. Sometimes it isn’t received very well and I let it go. Why jeopardize a friendship? If your paying on your own without a bet then after all it’s up to you; isn’t it? If you want to take a shot go ahead do so, if you hit it in the jungle, just take a mulligan, who cares? I believe you should care.

Oh by the way, that Cleve can really play, I lost $11.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

If I am playing with a group that gives putts, then I play along and don't putt out. When I play by myself I always putt out on every hole. I do it so I don't get nervous over short putts in tournaments when they matter. Plus, it never hurts to see the ball go in the hole.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

I find this interesting. You have to hear it? Is it like a drug or something? Even on 1 footers? Lucky guy.

This came up recently:

How about in match play?

For me, I don't sink many in that 10-20 foot range. I always got into the habit of putting anything close. It helps me learn to read ths shorter ones. But aside from all of that, it's when I learned to putt, I was taught to listen for the sound. That became "must hear it hit the cup." I've never played match play to the point of missing a 15 footer and leaving me 12 inches to the cup. But I know me. I've missed 12 inches away before. So to me, I'd rather putt them out. May I change my mind if I have money on the line. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!