Have I got the best job ever?

thenextnumber1

ha
On monday im starting a new job in Spain! Moved here 2 weeks ago because my sister lives here.

And I have got a job as a golf marshall for 3 days a week 6 hours each day......ok doesent sound that exciting so far I know......but listen to this. It is at one of the biggest golf resorts in spain! (im not saying which because I know there will probably be some fool on here who will find it and send stupid emails or something to them). It has got 4 golf courses all within foot steps of eachother each side of the road. And I mean AMAZING COURSES!

And guess what.....I get to play them all for free!!! I get unlimited free range balls and on perfectly cut grass ranges TOUR STANDARD!! Oh yes......I also get my own buggy that I can use to play and practice with CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!!......but thats not all. If I was to be a member at all of these courses I would of had to pay 7000Euros! Ive saved alot of money dont you think??

Also, one of the golf courses there is for people staying at the hotel only!! But....I get to play it for free! And it is by far the best course I have ever seen....it is majestic! Bright blue water lakes......greens that are one of the best in spain...I mean they are tour standard!

BUT....the best part of my job is I get to tell german tourists to SPEED UP PLAY! Ha, I bet they will give me some groans and looks! hehehe!

I feel like the luckiest 19 year old alive right now.

And I am going to make the most of this next year (contract is 12 months) and practice every single day for hours and hours because this IS MY CHANCE to achieve my dream. Ive always complained about the weather in britain or the crappy facilities! But now I have got nothing to moan about....this is perfect facilities to practice to achieve my dream!

Plus...over 300 days a year pure sunshine!

It just seems to perfect....something is going to go wrong surely!

Ok ill shut up now.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great, you only left out one thing that is very important to a single 19 year old male. What do the cart girls look like. At the danger or stereotyping, I'm sure they are beautiful!!

Keep an eye out for Sergio, you might have to tell him to pick up the pace :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Think really carefully about how you speak to "the slow German tourists" on the course. You don't want to lose your job because you are being rude. Check the time sheets carefully: if a group has four holes free in front of them, don't just hammer them unless you know for sure that they didn't start an hour after the previous group. If a group is slow, go to the group behind them and see if they care one way or the other. If they don't mind, don't pester the slower players too much (unless it is a real nuisance). True, the slow group is peeving off someone on the course, but you don't want to get in their grill too much. Talk your manager into giving you a flat of water that you can keep cold in your cart and hand it out for free to the players. 10 bucks worth of water can get you a lot of money in repeat players, etc.

And most importantly, remember not to hang around groups that don't really want the marshall around. If they are playing at a good pace and having fun, don't check on them every ten minutes, since they just want to have their time to themselves.

Nothing is going to go wrong. You are going to have a great time. Make friends and play a ton of golf.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

Thanks for the advice rankoutsider. I was only kidding with the germans haha they are ncie people. The people who play at this course is very rich people so i will treat everyone with alot of respect as you never know who you are talking too, for all I know it might be a muilti millionaire who will offer to sponser me for a year on the mini tours when im older?? you never know!!

Its going to be awesome.

The houses around the courses are absolute huge, and is very rich!! But I suppose these are the people you want to "get in" with!

I havent been able to find a job for ages in britain and i was in college, so I said fck it im off too spain where my sister lives with her spanish boyfriend, I dont speak a word of spanish, and I get a job there after 2 emails! I went to the interview and got the 1 of 6 positions out of 14 people.
It shows how f·····d up britain is, I dont speak a word of there language and have never had a proper job if im honest and I get a job just like that! and in britain people wont look at me twice! strange world!

Im not revealing where it is or what resort it is at because I want there to only be 14 people applying next year haha!

This summer is going to be THE NUTS!!!! I live in a resort area where i am 5 mins walk from a huge beach, bars, lap dancing clubs, oh yes you name it....its like a full time holiday!

ADIOS!

[quote name='thenextnumber1' post='2130575' date='Dec 17 2009, 02:06 PM']Thanks for the advice rankoutsider. I was only kidding with the germans haha they are ncie people. The people who play at this course is very rich people so i will treat everyone with alot of respect as you never know who you are talking too, for all I know it might be a muilti millionaire who will offer to sponser me for a year on the mini tours when im older?? you never know!!

Its going to be awesome.

The houses around the courses are absolute huge, and is very rich!! But I suppose these are the people you want to "get in" with!

I havent been able to find a job for ages in britain and i was in college, so I said fck it im off too spain where my sister lives with her spanish boyfriend, I dont speak a word of spanish, and I get a job there after 2 emails! I went to the interview and got the 1 of 6 positions out of 14 people.
It shows how f·····d up britain is, I dont speak a word of there language and have never had a proper job if im honest and I get a job just like that! and in britain people wont look at me twice! strange world!

Im not revealing where it is or what resort it is at because I want there to only be 14 people applying next year haha!

This summer is going to be THE NUTS!!!! I live in a resort area where i am 5 mins walk from a huge beach, bars, lap dancing clubs, oh yes you name it....its like a full time holiday!

ADIOS![/quote]

Do a good job and they won't even interview you next year; you will be rehired automatically. Keep your hair short, your tattoos tasteful, show up sober and eager and show, everyday, that you enjoy your job. Even if your coworkers are complaining, just listen and be supportive, but don't say critical stuff yourself, since if that gets back to the manager he won't be happy with you. Rake the bunkers when they need it, help out your coworkers whenever you can, stay away from the owner's wife, especially if she's had a few drinks, turn your cellphone off when you have to be around your boss/any superior, for any length of time. Tell your friends and sister not to phone you at work unless it is an emergency. I would avoid the lap dancing club, but then again I am old enough to know better; you still have some wild oats.

If you are a solid player, you should really buckle down, not party too hard, and use this as an opportunity to get psycho good at the game. I am sure they have a gym or three you can use at the resort, and some clean living and focus might just get you where you want to go. See, I told you I was old.

All this advice isn't free you know. I need a PM with contact information. My wife is taking me to Spain next year and I want to see this course of yours....

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

Have you worked as a golf marshall rankoutsider? your advice is very good. I got abit carried away with the lap dancing comment hahaha, na I am really focused on golf and always have been and rarely party hard so that not a problem to worry about. I wouldent say I am a really good player but I am quite good. I hardly practiced this year as I was not happ where i was living and where i was playing my golf, but i played 4 competitions and only shot higher than 74 once, so with practice everyday and some coaching from the resident pga pros (try and get friendly with them) I seriously think I could give it a good shot, but like everything, there are 1000s of young lads who want to do the same, but i will try my hardest.

At the interview there was some spanish mini tour players going for the job so they can get free use of the facilities so im hopeing they also got hired and i can play with them because they would be great to play with!

All the courses are 6900 yards plus so it will be a good test, and if i can shoot low on those courses I know I am doing ok!

They are given us all 3 days of training monday tuesday and wenesday so all your advice will probably pop up!

By the way....

Stay away from the owners wife, especially if she has had a few drinks

That is a classic line! haha!

Trust me the members at these clubs here are minted! There wifes are stunning to be fair!

I walked into the pro shop (its more like a gucci boutique) and i expected to see some old spanish pga pro behind the counter.

Um no, i saw a 5,10 blonde babe serving me! WTF! Golf is spain rocks!

You are one lucky lad!!
Just a few words from an old git,

Be very careful not to walk around with your eyes wide and your tongue hanging out because of all the money you have noticed. It’s not a flattering look.

The people that have houses around the courses or play them, won’t all be lottery winners having the time of their lives, most have worked hard and earn it and want to be left alone for 4 or 5 hours. (Sometimes 6 hr, it is Spain after all)

I speak for experience, having lived and worked (Pro) in Spain for 4 yrs and played regularly with members at some of the best most exclusive clubs in southern Spain.

No your place, work hard, be professional and go the extra mile now and then, but not only just when it suits you. Good bosses notice these little extras. Never take anything for granted.

On your game, after the initial kid in a sweet shop phase ask the head pro for advice about setting a development program; try to keep away from driving range fads, a structured plan will pay dividends.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Nextnumber1, you've gotten some good advice from guys who sound like they actually speak from experience. You'd be wise to remember it and use it when needed.

There's a saying in Football (American) when a player scores a touchdown. "Act like you've been there before" that could apply to the former Pro who told you not to act all wide eyed and wowed.

Remember these are people just like you (ok with a bit more money) :) But if you treat them with honest respect and service, they will notice the difference between yourself and the suckups.

You're 19 and single, you'd be a fool not to enjoy the night life and lifestyle some, but make sure it doesn't interfere with your job. If you find yourself hanging with guys that make it interfere, distance yourself from them.

The lapdance comment was hilarious, nothing wrong with that (unless your 33 and married to a Swedish Model). But a good rule of thumb I try to keep in mind when I'm at a conference or convention in our industry in Vegas or New Orleans, "would I want my boss to see a picture of this" Even though you will be on your own time, you may run into members of the club (hey if they are there, chances are they won't think anything of it and may even treat you to a dance or two!!)

Anyway, you asked for advice and we may be giving too much. Just remember how fortunate you are to have a job you enjoy and will lead to greater things in your life. But by all means, remember to enjoy this time of your life.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I will echo what others have said: be respectful, help out where you can, and treat others the way you would like to be treated, and dress professionally. :-)

IF you do have to move someone along, and they get testy, simply maintain your professional demeanor and remain polite and even toned.

I hope you can give us updates from time to time on how you are doing, how the job is going, and how your golf game is progressing.

Above all, have fun and enjoy this opportunity.

Sweet, but will you do for money?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple