2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

mackenzie golfbags?

On 11/23/2022 at 2:09 PM, Oh Hi Carl said:

Looks great.  I like the green.  I ordered an olive one in ballistic.  Do you use the second pocket much?  And what do you do with the tressle sticks between shots?  Is there room in the bag for them? 

Thanks! I use the 2nd pocket (the bigger one) for my hat and sunglasses (in a case) and a jacket (when I carry one). Trestle sticks go into the bag between shots - plenty of room in the bag for them! 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 5:34 AM, Loose_Ferrule said:

Love it, great looking setup. 

You know what they say....beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

The great news is the Mac is built to last and your friends will go through many bags and you will still be slinging this one around.

Exactly! I got sick of wanting to get a new bag after a few months because something broke or the colors started to fade. This bag gets better the dirtier it is. If the bag was to fade (I don't think it has), you wouldn't be able to tell because of the color (and dirt)! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I have always loved the look of Mackenzies and would love to get one someday. I currently have a PING Moonlite and a Jones Players Series, can anyone compare the 7" Mackenzie to the Jones? I'm just not in love with carrying the Jones, I usually end up picking the PING. It seems seems off with the balance and bulky when compared to my Moonlite.

1 hour ago, WipeyFade said:

I have always loved the look of Mackenzies and would love to get one someday. I currently have a PING Moonlite and a Jones Players Series, can anyone compare the 7" Mackenzie to the Jones? I'm just not in love with carrying the Jones, I usually end up picking the PING. It seems seems off with the balance and bulky when compared to my Moonlite.

I can't compare the Mac to the Jones but I can compare it to a Moonlite. The 7" Mackenzie is a much better carry for sure. The bag holds a full set better than the Moonlite and has much better balance. Not to mention the materials on the Mac are for superior a Moonlite or a Jones. You can also design your own color scheme which is cool.

If you're a single strap player and can get over the cost of the Mac then you will not be disappointed.

I still have other bags but as a new Mackenzie user ( 12 rounds ) I feel I will carry my Mac the majority of the time.

13 minutes ago, Loose_Ferrule said:

I can't compare the Mac to the Jones but I can compare it to a Moonlite. The 7" Mackenzie is a much better carry for sure. The bag holds a full set better than the Moonlite and has much better balance. Not to mention the materials on the Mac are for superior a Moonlite or a Jones. You can also design your own color scheme which is cool.

If you're a single strap player and can get over the cost of the Mac then you will not be disappointed.

I still have other bags but as a new Mackenzie user ( 12 rounds ) I feel I will carry my Mac the majority of the time.

Good to hear.  I don't mind spending money on quality items that last a long time. I always carry 9 clubs or less so I'm not too worried about space, I was more concerned about the balance. 

1 hour ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Here you go, Loose.  Can't help you with the red.  I went with a traditional one-pocket look. I added the internal pocket for cell, wallet.  Put my kids' names on the internal pocket in cream.  Did not add the external range finder pocket.   

Olive nylon

Trim: Tan

Accent: Cream

Cream leather badge

Split Bottom in cream color

I've got 11 clubs in it with no tangle, at least in my limited testing.  I put everything I would ever need for 95% of rounds in the single pocket with no problem.  I didn't realize they have a key chain clip inside the pocket, which is really helpful.  

IMG_2059.jpg.768e16c01521c2c72d49ce698e97e52f.jpgIMG_2060.jpg.a313f0a2e9ccdded73bfff7083280167.jpgIMG_2061.jpg.5c96955b35c5967ee48fbfcd2347b77a.jpgIMG_2063.jpg.da3316ee3c38166e4b69ee193de73672.jpg

Very nice

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

3 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Here you go, Loose.  Can't help you with the red.  I went with a traditional one-pocket look. I added the internal pocket for cell, wallet.  Put my kids' names on the internal pocket in cream.  Did not add the external range finder pocket.   

Olive nylon

Trim: Tan

Accent: Cream

Cream leather badge

Split Bottom in cream color

I've got 11 clubs in it with no tangle, at least in my limited testing.  I put everything I would ever need for 95% of rounds in the single pocket with no problem.  I didn't realize they have a key chain clip inside the pocket, which is really helpful.  

IMG_2059.jpg.768e16c01521c2c72d49ce698e97e52f.jpgIMG_2060.jpg.a313f0a2e9ccdded73bfff7083280167.jpgIMG_2061.jpg.5c96955b35c5967ee48fbfcd2347b77a.jpgIMG_2063.jpg.da3316ee3c38166e4b69ee193de73672.jpg

OHC,

Well done my friend, looks wonderful!

I know the suspense was killing you but it was well worth the wait.

Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

I've now played one round with my bag.  8 inch with single pocket.  Course was a hilly 6,200 yards, and I carried 12 clubs.  Bag felt light and balanced throughout the round.  One thing I enjoyed was that I could easily insert and remove clubs while walking with the bag on my shoulder.  Tangle wasn't a problem at any time. 

The pocket was sufficient.  While playing I had my range finder clipped on the external D ring and my towel through the handle.  The pocket contained my keys, wallet, phone, 6-8 balls, a small bag with tees, 12 oz water bottle, a few snack bars, and a light jacket.  The pocket wasn't stretched and the zipper closed easily with all those items.  The only thing I sometimes carry that wouldn't have fit is a small Tupperware box with a sandwich.  Although if I had felt the need to bring that on this occasion, I would've put the towel through my clubs at the top of the bag and tied the jacket to the handle.  Overall, I'm happy with the decision to go with one pocket because I feel like I would rarely need the second one and I prefer the look with just one. On days when I feel like I need a full rain suit or other bulky gear, which would be very rare, I'll take another bag.       

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what the difference is between Nylon and Waxed Canvas from a waterproofing, durability, stiffness, and weight perspective?  It doesn't really spell it out on the  website. 

Thanks!

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

On 2/21/2023 at 1:45 PM, hrjensen17 said:

Wanted to post some pictures of my Mac bag and give a short review of how it’s held up over the years for anyone curious. 

I’ve spent 3 season now with my Mac, and I have to say, she’s held up wonderfully! I probably split my rounds 70/30 walking to riding, and the Mac has always been my daily driver through rain or shine. We average roughly 50+ rounds/yr and no signs of tears or any damage at all. It’s even handled great up against the harsh UT sun. Funny enough, that TBC putter cover started out the same color as my Mac, but has since faded pretty heavily. To anyone on the fence- just do it, you won’t regret it! I’m even considering ordering second one to add to the collection. 

The specs:

- 8”

- black waxed canvas 

- Mahogany trim with cream accents 

- single pocket

98501D14-ACF0-4624-8E44-810C5A282897.jpeg.efc7ac91f7215519122d5495deaa9364.jpeg

B1079AE1-6DFE-4AC8-91F8-FB3573807D2E.jpeg.3cfbf2419aa7821acd311ba57885090a.jpeg11D57F0D-7A0A-4342-995C-92AEE5524B7D.jpeg.2151bd8f9dc083061ada9544acd56891.jpegF655D248-FEAC-4D7C-AD72-C5A51BA79459.jpeg.a7e39a0a20ba38618c9f5d99754787ed.jpeg

Looks great.  Thanks for the post.  Do you use yours when you're riding? I'm curious how they do on a cart.  

17 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Looks great.  Thanks for the post.  Do you use yours when you're riding? I'm curious how they do on a cart.  

Yes I do, it’s been great on a cart. No scratches or tears in the canvas from the cart strap. I was nervous about it being on a cart the first couple of rounds, but now I don’t even think twice when I ride. It’s incredibly durable. 

and just a disclaimer- this is my experience with a waxed canvas bag, not sure what the experience would be with leather or the nylon. I would think the ballistic nylon at least would be an even stronger material though. 

• Like 1

i also have a mac waxed canvas.  mine is a tan color not black.  i use mine to walk and on the cart.  never had any issues with it except the black part of the cart that touches the back of the bag has turned the tan a little black.  no big deal to me just letting people know that if you are splitting riding and walking it can happen.  

Ping G400 LST 10*
Titleist TS3 15*
Taylormade UDI 2 
Callaway MB 2018 3-W
Titleist Vokey 54*/60*
Bettinardi BB2

20 hours ago, dmarvaso said:

i also have a mac waxed canvas.  mine is a tan color not black.  i use mine to walk and on the cart.  never had any issues with it except the black part of the cart that touches the back of the bag has turned the tan a little black.  no big deal to me just letting people know that if you are splitting riding and walking it can happen.  

That’s good to know, thanks for the info!

changed post to a response to question.

Edited by Jarlaxle

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

On 2/26/2023 at 2:33 PM, Binson said:

Does anyone know what the difference is between Nylon and Waxed Canvas from a waterproofing, durability, stiffness, and weight perspective?  It doesn't really spell it out on the  website. 

Thanks!

I found this explanation, hope it helps.  In terms of weight, I believe the leather is somewhat heavier than the waxed canvas but the nylon is by far the lightest.

Leather

We’ve been making leather golf bags for 35 years — it’s our bread and butter. With leather, you get an undeniably soft hand, the enjoyment of an earned patina, and most importantly, longevity. It’s tough, durable, fairs well in all conditions, and looks damn good. If properly cared for, our leather bags can easily last decades. 

Waxed Canvas

We get our waxed canvas from one of the oldest fabric finishers in the country. If you’re looking for wet weather playability, this is the material for you. The premium-grade cotton canvas coated with Martexin Original Wax can handle legitimate rain. If you plan on putting your bag on the back of a cart for a prolonged period of time, be aware that the plastic backing on carts can be tough on canvas. 

Treated Canvas

Our premium treated canvas comes from the same fabric finisher as our waxed canvas. Instead of using Martexin Original Wax to coat the fabric, they use a synthetic waterproofing solution for weather resistance. The quality is obvious and it comes in a wide variety of colors, while waxed canvas is primarily available in earth tones.

Nylon

If you’re looking for lightweight and bulletproof, this is the stuff. We use a combination of 1600 denier Ballistic nylon and 1000 denier coated Cordura nylon, depending on the color or pattern. Nylon is a woven synthetic, so you’re not going to get quite the same look or hand as canvas and leather, but it makes up for it in toughness and durability. And nylon is no pushover in wet conditions. 

Edited by Jarlaxle
  • Like 1

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

To me, the waxed canvas is definitely more waterproof.  The nylon does well, but wets out pretty quickly.  I haven't noticed a weight difference between the nylon or waxed canvas bag, but my nylon is a 2 pocket and my waxed canvas is a 1 pocket. 

I've used my nylon bag on a cart several times without issue, but haven't put the waxed canvas on the back of a cart.  

• Like 1