2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

You got another convert here, I was planning on playing a victory red combo set (3-5 split cavity 6-pw blade), I actually have already bought them but have been thinking alone the same lines as you. I carry a 3.4 handicap index and I believe that I could easily get it into a + handicap with some decent iron play (that is my weak point). So I am selling my vr's and will be purchasing a set of g15s within the week. I'll let you know how it goes

Taylormade SLDR GD AD-DI
Tmag SLDR 16.5 Speeder tour spec 6.2x
Taylormade SLDR 21 GD AD DI
Taylormade Rbladez/MB combo
Taylormade Tour Preferred 52, 56 ATV, 60
Taylormade Maranello Tour issue

I am thinking about switching from my R9Tp’s with KBS Stiffshafts to either the G20’s or G15’s. Icarry an 8 HC, but feel I would benefit from a more consistent iron game. My usual miss is a pull or a hook and I was alittle worried that I would have difficulty with the offset. However, I tried a G20 7 iron last week andwas able to hit subtle fades and draws and no problem with the offset. I have yet to hit the G15’s. Is there much of a difference? You can’t beet the price at Discount Dan’sfor the G15’s? Any suggestions on ashaft for the G15’s to help keep the flight down?

I played G15's with dynamic golds, you basically can't do better then that. If you launch those too high you need new irons

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='JTD0314' timestamp='1330180816' post='4373267']
I am thinking about switching from my R9Tp’s with KBS Stiffshafts to either the G20’s or G15’s. Icarry an 8 HC, but feel I would benefit from a more consistent iron game. My usual miss is a pull or a hook and I was alittle worried that I would have difficulty with the offset. However, I tried a G20 7 iron last week andwas able to hit subtle fades and draws and no problem with the offset. I have yet to hit the G15’s. Is there much of a difference? You can’t beet the price at Discount Dan’sfor the G15’s? Any suggestions on ashaft for the G15’s to help keep the flight down?
[/quote]

I hit both the G15's and G20's and the heads didn't feel dramatically different to me. To me the shafts were the difference - I preferred the CFS over the AWT as they loaded much better for my swing. So I have the G15's coming my way with the CFS shafts. The discount price of the G15's with the latest and greatest shafts at no upcharge? No brainer!

I hit both the G15's and G20's and the heads didn't feel dramatically different to me. To me the shafts were the difference - I preferred the CFS over the AWT as they loaded much better for my swing. So I have the G15's coming my way with the CFS shafts. The discount price of the G15's with the latest and greatest shafts at no upcharge? No brainer!

I used the G20's with the CFS stiff and regular, and frankly couldn't see much of a difference in the shafts. Also, I've been sondering about the 'real' difference between the 15 and 20, and the two shops I talked to wanna tell me there's world of difference -- but I just don't see it. I DID find out from Discount Dan's that I can get CFS shafts in the 15's with no up charge....yahoo.gif. I think I'm right in between R and S for Ping, so I m constantly trying to figure out my 'right' shaft.... I plan to o a startup lesson this week, however, so after that I may be able to be more comfy with shaft flex.

After that, it is a matter of -- what's the difference between the two (15 or 20)? Can anyone really say?

BTW, these will back up or replace my I15's - AWT stiff (soft-stepped) and my I5 CS lites.

[quote name='Chew70' timestamp='1330214443' post='4376325']
I have the G20's with the CFS and I really like that shaft. Coming from KBS in MP53, I would compare the smoothness of the CFS to the KBS. I wouldn't think you would need to upgrade at all.
[/quote]

Yeah, I like it too. Very much like the KBS (maybe a tad lighter??)....I gotta decide if I want R or S flex though. Since I ain't getting any younger, I may go to an R. But the lesson next week should tell me.

I used the G20's with the CFS stiff and regular, and frankly couldn't see much of a difference in the shafts. Also, I've been sondering about the 'real' difference between the 15 and 20, and the two shops I talked to wanna tell me there's world of difference -- but I just don't see it. I DID find out from Discount Dan's that I can get CFS shafts in the 15's with no up charge....yahoo.gif. I think I'm right in between R and S for Ping, so I m constantly trying to figure out my 'right' shaft.... I plan to o a startup lesson this week, however, so after that I may be able to be more comfy with shaft flex.

After that, it is a matter of -- what's the difference between the two (15 or 20)? Can anyone really say?

BTW, these will back up or replace my I15's - AWT stiff (soft-stepped) and my I5 CS lites.

I think we have the same swing characteristics. I am coming from G5's with Z-Z65's. I liked the weight and lower flight of those shafts, but they were waaay to stiff for my swing. That is one of the reasons I was excited about the CFS shaft, they are based on the the Z-Z65, but with a choice of flex. In fact, after a little research on this site, I learned (from a Ping rep no less) that you would have to hard step a CFS twice to achieve the stiffness of the Z-Z65.

As far as the difference between the G15 and G20 heads- I couldn't discern much. Same lofts. Comparing them side by side the cavity on the G20 is definitely deeper, and the weight has been distributed more to the outside back perimeter of the cavity. Ostensibly, this would make them even easier to launch, as if the 15's weren't easy enough already. To me this was not that big a deal, as I have never had a problem with launch. In fact, I naturally launch the ball very high, so I kind of felt like this was unnecessary for my needs. The G15 still had a generous amount of toe weight and the large, confidence inspiring head design with some offset is what I was after in the first place. I initially contemplated having my G5's re-shafted with the CFS, but I quickly realized I could sell the G5's and buy the G15's with the CFS and correct color code for little difference. The beauty of Ping re-sale! (It was a $60 difference with one less G15 club.)

I also have a set of I5's with AWT regulars. I compared these side by side with the G20's, stiff CFS. I much preferred the stiff G20's over the reg AWT's - they actually felt smoother and easier to load. I think this was because I was much more aware of the head weight of the G20's so I could feel the shaft more. Don't get me wrong, I love the I5's - I personally think they are the best looking and performing Ping irons ever. I just need as much forgiveness as possible.

So, to make a long story short, I ordered the G15's with stiff CFS shafts, soft stepped once. Although I didn't get to test this exact combination I believe that these will be the irons that will take my game to the next level. I won't know for sure until they get here, so hurry up Ping!

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1330216985' post='4376517']
I think we have the same swing characteristics. I am coming from G5's with Z-Z65's. I liked the weight and lower flight of those shafts, but they were waaay to stiff for my swing. That is one of the reasons I was excited about the CFS shaft, they are based on the the Z-Z65, but with a choice of flex. In fact, after a little research on this site, I learned (from a Ping rep no less) that you would have to hard step a CFS twice to achieve the stiffness of the Z-Z65.

As far as the difference between the G15 and G20 heads- I couldn't discern much. Same lofts. Comparing them side by side the cavity on the G20 is definitely deeper, and the weight has been distributed more to the outside back perimeter of the cavity. Ostensibly, this would make them even easier to launch, as if the 15's weren't easy enough already. To me this was not that big a deal, as I have never had a problem with launch. In fact, I naturally launch the ball very high, so I kind of felt like this was unnecessary for my needs. The G15 still had a generous amount of toe weight and the large, confidence inspiring head design with some offset is what I was after in the first place. I initially contemplated having my G5's re-shafted with the CFS, but I quickly realized I could sell the G5's and buy the G15's with the CFS and correct color code for little difference. The beauty of Ping re-sale! (It was a $60 difference with one less G15 club.)

I also have a set of I5's with AWT regulars. I compared these side by side with the G20's, stiff CFS. I much preferred the stiff G20's over the reg AWT's - they actually felt smoother and easier to load. I think this was because I was much more aware of the head weight of the G20's so I could feel the shaft more. Don't get me wrong, I love the I5's - I personally think they are the best looking and performing Ping irons ever. I just need as much forgiveness as possible.

So, to make a long story short, I ordered the G15's with stiff CFS shafts, soft stepped once. Although I didn't get to test this exact combination I believe that these will be the irons that will take my game to the next level. I won't know for sure until they get here, so hurry up Ping!
[/quote]

You are probably right - our swings sound very similar. I've also tried ZZ-65's, and like the smoothness, but they were just a bit -uh-stoic for my taste (I actually [u]like[/u] to feel the shaft). I had the same experience as you with the CFS vice the AWT's - I am very impressed with the smoothness and load of CFS. I'm also a natural higher-launch hitter, I've no problem compressing the ball or launching it high - in fact, I found the I20's seemed to launch way high for my taste (could be wrong shaft though). I also have a right-left ball flight - if I'm not paying attention to my finish I can sometimes hook or pull-hook - no problems with slicing.

I know you can get CFS shafts in the G15's right now, so I am going to spend some time testing all combos of G15/G20/I20 over the next couple of weeks or so to try and figure out the best for me. I frankly like the look of the G20's better than the 15's, but $200 better? I need to see a significant difference in feel, performance, distance, etc first.

So are you getting rid of your I5's? I have i5's and I15's, and I like 'em both....but I know if I sold 'em both I could pick p a set of 5-UW G20's or G15's without any net cash outlay.

I need to find either a Ping rep or a fitter who loves and plays Pings and actually knows what he's talking about. Heck, after my lesson I may find out my I15's need to stay around awhile....

[quote name='plus8' timestamp='1330256545' post='4378719']
[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1330216985' post='4376517']

[/quote]

You are probably right - our swings sound very similar. I've also tried ZZ-65's, and like the smoothness, but they were just a bit -uh-stoic for my taste (I actually [u]like[/u] to feel the shaft). I had the same experience as you with the CFS vice the AWT's - I am very impressed with the smoothness and load of CFS. I'm also a natural higher-launch hitter, I've no problem compressing the ball or launching it high - in fact, I found the I20's seemed to launch way high for my taste (could be wrong shaft though). I also have a right-left ball flight - if I'm not paying attention to my finish I can sometimes hook or pull-hook - no problems with slicing.

I know you can get CFS shafts in the G15's right now, so I am going to spend some time testing all combos of G15/G20/I20 over the next couple of weeks or so to try and figure out the best for me. I frankly like the look of the G20's better than the 15's, but $200 better? I need to see a significant difference in feel, performance, distance, etc first.

So are you getting rid of your I5's? I have i5's and I15's, and I like 'em both....but I know if I sold 'em both I could pick p a set of 5-UW G20's or G15's without any net cash outlay.

I need to find either a Ping rep or a fitter who loves and plays Pings and actually knows what he's talking about. Heck, after my lesson I may find out my I15's need to stay around awhile....
[/quote]

I am going to hang on to the i5's. I love the looks and always like to have a backup set around. If I end up liking the CFS shafts in the G15's as much as I think I will I may send the i5's off to ping for an upgrade! But that is way down the line - this summer I want to focus on improving my game and the G15's are a big part of that.

I agree, the G20's are way better looking than the G15's. Looking down on them they set up exactly the same and I actually prefer the darker, one tone finish of the G15's. The cavities of the G20's are definitely nicer, I like the brushed steel and black. I despise anything red though and have plans to paint the red parts of the G15 cavities black. In my mind it looks sweet, but I won't know until I experiment!

[quote name='JTD0314' timestamp='1330257924' post='4378751']
I am going to hit the G15's today and decide between them and the G20's. Looks like the R9TP's will be up for sale.
[/quote]

Please post your impressions. I can't get out today -- we just had a cold front blow in (isn't spring just around the corner????).

sc

Well I've been playing like crap the last month or so, going to try something different. All my sets are more player CBs but got a nice price on a set of G10 irons. Having back issues which is probably more of the reason I'm playing the way I am but I'm going the arrow route! Never been a big Ping fan (had a set of G2 and BeCu Eye2 before) but at the price I got these I could resell and get my funds back.

Will update once I get a chance to play with them.

Doing my research for g15's and stumbled on this thread. Can anyone chime in on playing these from tight but soft lies. The course where I play in Michigan has creeping bent fairways and is always over watered. The grass lays down so all of the lies are tight but not necessarily firm. I am a 6 handicap and have used blades the last couple of years but I want to go extreme and play g15's.

I hit the G15's yesterday with the AWT's. I only hit the 7 iron, but was pleased with how well I hit it. I couldn't tell much difference between the G15 and the G20. I was hitting them on a monitor and I was able to work slight fades between 165-175. I was quite pleased with being able to fade the ball because I fight too much draw on my shots. I think I will be replacing the R9TP's with the G15's.

• 4 weeks later...

I hit the AP's1 (I really liked the look, but didn't work for me), MP59's, G20's and I20's. The MP59's were very impressive in both feel in numbers, but I wanted something with a little more help. The I20's were almost as forgiving as the G20's with less size and offset. I went with the I20's with C-Tapers and I am very pleased.

Thinking of ditching the MP68's and going down the GI route, maybe the new Callaway blacks!, looking to get myself fitted with the goal of buying what ever gives me the greatest consistency

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='Kevie Ray' timestamp='1332837632' post='4590088']
Bump for the thread that won't die.
MtlJeff is now playing Mizuno JPX 800 irons.

What's the verdict??
[/quote]

So far so good! LOL

still playing SGI's after a few years

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to make the plunge and grab some G-15's. I'm currently gaming a set of MX-23's +1 4 up, dynalite stiff shafts and really want something a bit easier to hit.

I do tend to hit these irons high, so I'm wondering what shafts to get. I've demoed the AWT and CFS shafts, but these were from the demo day cart, so it's hard to tell just hitting a 7 iron. Any other recommendation?

Most people seem to be happy with the wedges in the set, I'll probably be going 5-LW. Has anyone bent the wedges slightly flatter? Do they have a tendency to pull the ball at all??

Thanks.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1332887359' post='4594418']

What's the verdict??
[/quote]

So far so good! LOL

[/quote]

Can you compare the JPX 800's to the G15's for us?

I seriously considered the 800 (cast clubs, not forged) simply because I loved Mizuno but was trying to move away from the MP line. I just didn't trust that Mizuno would be as forgiving as some of the more 'traditional' Game Improvement companies.

What do you think?

[quote name='ColinMB' timestamp='1334669407' post='4737030']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1332887359' post='4594418']

What's the verdict??
[/quote]

So far so good! LOL

[/quote]

Can you compare the JPX 800's to the G15's for us?

I seriously considered the 800 (cast clubs, not forged) simply because I loved Mizuno but was trying to move away from the MP line. I just didn't trust that Mizuno would be as forgiving as some of the more 'traditional' Game Improvement companies.

What do you think?
[/quote]

absolutely, i've got a few rounds and a bunch of practice in with them so far. So ok, here are my thoughts:

Feel: The pings feel better to me. It's subjective obviously, but to me the Pings have a cushion like feel whereas the Mizunos are a bit more firm. I would compare it to an insert putter versus a non insert one. I never thought i'd say that using ping as the insert putter example but that's the way i think it is. The G15's weren't loud, they sounded soft, they felt the same all over the face. The Mizuno's are a bit different, more clicky, thin shots feel weak even though they still travel.

Look: also subjective, but i think the Mizunos look sexy in the bag. If you care about looking like a player (which some do), you'll get player cred with Mizunos whereas with the G15's, i felt like people would see me play a few holes, look in my bag, and then say "wait....what?". The JPX's have a thick topline and long blade but somehow don't look too big in the bag. The G15's look like toasters. Also, the JPX's have noticeably less offset if that makes a difference

Forgiveness: Pretty even. I've been shocked by the JPX's in that regard. They are almost the perfect club because they make you feel your misses without punishing you for them. I had 215 in the other day and pulled 4 iron, i hit it a bit thin and based on how it felt i expected it to fall 15 yards short of the green. I put my head down and take a little stab at my divot...then look up and see the ball land on the green pin high. I swear i lost virtually nothing yardage wise and i thought i lost 15 yards at least. It's the same thing with toe or heel shots. You always think you are losing more yards then you do. The pings it was harder to feel your misses, though i got pretty good at it.

i love them.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

oh we are well into marriage mode now. Meaning i take them out for dinner once every 2 weeks and we rarely do it

Deschamps Crisp Antique