2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='NevinW' timestamp='1308842977' post='3329837']
I took the G15's out for nine holes last night and came away really impressed. Everything was just dead straight. Only curves were due to the wind. Without the 3 putts I would have been well below par. Just as long as my Mizuno jpx 800 pro's but easier to hit. Will play another nine holes tonight and see if the clubs continue to perform. These clubs appear to be the real deal. - Nevin
[/quote]

Great to hear Nevin. What specs are your G15's?

Great thread! I've recently decided to make the same change. I have been playing a set of Mizuno MP-29s for at least a decade. The 3, 4 and 5 came out of the bag a few years ago to make room for a few hybrids which are fantastic. I hit the mizunos very well but, like you guys, I'm looking to enjoy golf more and I am tired of my ego interfering when making equipment choices. I had been planning on sticking with Mizuno initially and wouldn't look at anything non-forged(EGO). All the while I've had a DEMO 6-iron Callaway Fusion in my bag for a few years and have always loved it. When hit next to other GI DEMO 6-irons I found the Fusion to be the best and easiest to hit consistently.

Thanks to Callaway pre-owned I picked up a set of Fusions last week for sub $200 and they look great.

What I find interesting is that as much of a club and shaft whore as I am, I really like the feel of the Nippon Uniflex shaft in the Callaways. I cant believe I like anything labeled uniflex.

So I went and got fit yesterday for Ping irons - static and dynamic fitting with the pro at my local Golf Galaxy. I was astonished at the results and was hoping for some feedback from the crowd here.

I've been playing standard length standard lie irons for years with full knowledge that they probably weren't precisely fit for me. I'm 6'3" but my arms aren't particularly long so my wrist to floor is around 38".

Ping's Webfit thinks I should be a Silver Dot (3.75* up) and .5" long.

Through the fitting process, my final recommended set was White Dot (3* up) and an extra 1.5" long and a Yellow (midsize) grip and X100 shafts. It wasn't until we got to the 1.5" long irons that I was consistently hitting the center of the clubface with the impact tape.

But 1.5" over seems like a ridiculously long clublength. On the Ping chart, this clublength should be for someone 4 or 5 inches taller than me. My concern with the fitting was that the cart they had it was not possible to try a White Dot at +1.5", so we had to do the lie angle with clubs that were "short" and then do the length with clubs that were more upright. So I think the +1.5" iron that I swung was like a Maroon or Silver dot.

So I've put $50 into the fitting (which GG will credit if I purchase from them). My nearest Ping nFlight facility would charge another $75 for a fitting on the Trackman.

So what do you think? Is this fitting bogus? I suppose I could go with the +1.5" and cut them down a bit if they are too long when I put them in play. But do you guys know anyone that's playing a crazy setup like this?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

[quote name='SheriffBooth' timestamp='1309093192' post='3336219']
So I went and got fit yesterday for Ping irons - static and dynamic fitting with the pro at my local Golf Galaxy. I was astonished at the results and was hoping for some feedback from the crowd here.

I've been playing standard length standard lie irons for years with full knowledge that they probably weren't precisely fit for me. I'm 6'3" but my arms aren't particularly long so my wrist to floor is around 38".

Through the fitting process, my final recommended set was White Dot (3* up) and an extra 1.5" long and a Yellow (midsize) grip and X100 shafts. It wasn't until we got to the 1.5" long irons that I was consistently hitting the center of the clubface with the impact tape.

But 1.5" over seems like a ridiculously long clublength. On the Ping chart, this clublength should be for someone 4 or 5 inches taller than me. My concern with the fitting was that the cart they had it was not possible to try a White Dot at +1.5", so we had to do the lie angle with clubs that were "short" and then do the length with clubs that were more upright. So I think the +1.5" iron that I swung was like a Maroon or Silver dot.

So I've put $50 into the fitting (which GG will credit if I purchase from them). My nearest Ping nFlight facility would charge another $75 for a fitting on the Trackman.

So what do you think? Is this fitting bogus? I suppose I could go with the +1.5" and cut them down a bit if they are too long when I put them in play. But do you guys know anyone that's playing a crazy setup like this?
[/quote]

Eat the $50 and go get fit at the Nflight facility. You can't get an accurate fitting by mixing and matching lengths and lie angles that don't git and most importantly, you're not confident in the fitting so you're always going to wonder.....

[quote name='tomg1969' timestamp='1309096857' post='3336297']

[/quote]

Eat the $50 and go get fit at the Nflight facility. You can't get an accurate fitting by mixing and matching lengths and lie angles that don't git and most importantly, you're not confident in the fitting so you're always going to wonder.....
[/quote]

Totally agree. Eat the 50 and go spend another 75 for an nFlight fitting. You said you've been playing for years knowing your clubs are not right. What's a total of 125 dollars to you for 2 fittings to have full knowledge of what clubs you should be using? Priceless.

BTW, many folks will praise fittings and others say they got ripped off and it's not worth it. Don't go by what other people say. Going thru the process, only 2 things will happen. One, you'll love the fact you got fitted, you'll get new equipment and start playing better golf. Or, two, you'll get all pissed off and feel like you've spent alot of money and wasted your time and money. Either way it's still better than to keep playing for years knowing you're not playing properly fit clubs.

Good advice. Thanks guys.

Good thread here. I am a long time blade player, learned to play with blades and wood "woods". Over the years I never met a GI or SGI club that I liked because every shot especially with the 7i and lower looked like a flop shot. well, two years ago I found out the reason was because I had a pretty big flip move in my swing. So now I have been working with a Tour Striker to help get my hands ahead and so on, with pretty good success. The rub is, that even though I can often now attain the correct impact position and get that nice penetrating trajectory I always wanted, I now struggle with directional control. I used to hit everything pretty much dead straight, just overly high and sometimes short or long. I know that I just have to deal with some inconsistency while trying to learn a new move after many years, but It does get me to thinking that I should give some GI or SGI irons another look since now I may be able to keep them out of the stratosphere. :-)
I have tried most all of the recent blades and blade-ish CB's but just didn't see any real advantage for me over my old FG'51's. I never tried any of the newer SG or SGI irons because of two assumptions. 1. I figured they were all designed for a high launch low cog, certainly didn't need that and 2. they were pretty meant to try and correct a slice, didn't need that either. So I have a few questions. Does any one here that switched to SGI, who usually hits a pretty straight ball, have any problems with hooks after switching? Also did anyone have problems with ballooning shots with SGI clubs? I know a need to try them for myself, but I'm just asking because most of the SGI clubs I have seen have lightweight flexible shafts, which only exacerbated the trajectory problem fro me in the past. IOW I dont see any SGI demo clubs with stiffer lower spinning shafts.

[/quote]
I wouldn't call it ridiculous. I have .5 extra in length and I have some of the longest arms around. I am also 6ft3 but I was fit in to maroon dot which is 4* upright with x100 shaft and so far the clubs are dead straight or a slight fade which is really good.

If your arms are that short then the fitting seems correct. I am 36" wrist to floor.

[quote name='bamboobender' timestamp='1309108975' post='3336641']
Good thread here. I am a long time blade player, learned to play with blades and wood "woods". Over the years I never met a GI or SGI club that I liked because every shot especially with the 7i and lower looked like a flop shot. well, two years ago I found out the reason was because I had a pretty big flip move in my swing. So now I have been working with a Tour Striker to help get my hands ahead and so on, with pretty good success. The rub is, that even though I can often now attain the correct impact position and get that nice penetrating trajectory I always wanted, I now struggle with directional control. I used to hit everything pretty much dead straight, just overly high and sometimes short or long. I know that I just have to deal with some inconsistency while trying to learn a new move after many years, but It does get me to thinking that I should give some GI or SGI irons another look since now I may be able to keep them out of the stratosphere. :-)
I have tried most all of the recent blades and blade-ish CB's but just didn't see any real advantage for me over my old FG'51's. I never tried any of the newer SG or SGI irons because of two assumptions. 1. I figured they were all designed for a high launch low cog, certainly didn't need that and 2. they were pretty meant to try and correct a slice, didn't need that either. So I have a few questions. Does any one here that switched to SGI, who usually hits a pretty straight ball, have any problems with hooks after switching? Also did anyone have problems with ballooning shots with SGI clubs? I know a need to try them for myself, but I'm just asking because most of the SGI clubs I have seen have lightweight flexible shafts, which only exacerbated the trajectory problem fro me in the past. IOW I dont see any SGI demo clubs with stiffer lower spinning shafts.
[/quote]

For me, the extra off-set does make me hook or balloon the ball. It helps me hit it higher, which is what I need. I can also hit knockdowns if needed.

As far as shafts, if you a club fitting, you can get many shafts in SGI irons, including Dynamic Gold. Just because it's a GI or SGI, doesn't mean that companies can't put in other shaft offerings. The stock shafts on my X-20's is a Dynamic Gold High Launch, and they fit me pretty well.

So I went this afternoon to my nflight facility to get refit outside where I could see the ballflight.

Turns out 1.5" long was right on. After a half bucket of balls fitter handed me a standard length club again and I was astonished at how uncomfortable it was.

Also, turns out Maroon is probably right for me too, although I could probably get away with silver or even white if I wanted to add more fade bias to my ball flight. 1.5" long with Maroon produced a high slight fade in the G15 7-iron.

The big surprise for me was I showed up thinking G15 and have left thinking I15. For me, the I15 produced a slightly lower ballflght but better carry. The G15 hit the ball higher and shorter, and I play in the wind enough that this made me think twice. The I15's should give me a lot more flexibility when it comes to tinkering with ball flight from shot to shot.

Interesting weekend for sure. My bag is getting ready to change in a big way.

[quote name='gdb99' timestamp='1309121975' post='3336933']
[quote name='bamboobender' timestamp='1309108975' post='3336641']
[/quote]

For me, the extra off-set does make me hook or balloon the ball. It helps me hit it higher, which is what I need. I can also hit knockdowns if needed.

As far as shafts, if you a club fitting, you can get many shafts in SGI irons, including Dynamic Gold. Just because it's a GI or SGI, doesn't mean that companies can't put in other shaft offerings. The stock shafts on my X-20's is a Dynamic Gold High Launch, and they fit me pretty well.
[/quote]

i have X100's in my G15's and they really help with the ball flight. I tried the AWT's at first but i indeed hit them too high

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I got fitted for a set of G15's (standard length, white dot, AWT reg shat)

Took me a few games to get used to them.. Was surprised at that as I was going from X20's and I did not think there would be much difference.

However now that I am used to them I am quite happy. Feel really comfortable hitting them and have hit a bunch of nice high soft landing shots right near the hole.

Even the occasional thin shot turns out quite well. My miss used to be a hook and I do this less often now.

I am a "picker" and was worried about the wide sole but it has not been a problem.

They do not hit the ball longer than my X20's but a bit more accurate. However this improvement in accuracy may be due to the fitting process. My X20's were fit 4 years ago by the same clubmaker. When he fit me for the G15's we went 1/2" shorter than the X20's. My swing has changed a bit over time. Maybe if we shortened the X20's they would be just as accurate. I had over 200 rounds on the X20's and you could see the wear pattern was towards the toe a bit. I am hitting the G15's more in the middle of the clubface.

Anyway Ping has a great set of irons in the G15.

Driver: Titleist  Tsi2
FW's: Callaway Rogue 4w
Hybrids: X2 Hot 3&4
Irons: Ping G410 Reg Graphite 5-UW
Wedges: Callaway MD3 56
Handicap 9
Putter: Zing2 BeCu among others

Well, now what!?!?!?!

I didn't read all 14 pages but got the jist.

I've had I5s and G5s and I5s again. I had pretty much given up on Pings. Now I've gotten some G15s. I was playing X Tours and most recently X20s. In the last few weeks I've tried MP52s, Fusions, R7s and not sure what else.

I can't seem to get used to the wide sole on the G15s. I'm a sweeper and if I don't get it just right, I'm bouncing into the ball. My swing is a work-in-progress right now but I'm not having that problem with the X20s.

I'm about to return the G15s when I ran up on this topic. What to do, what to do.......

I finally bit the bullet and bought some G15s -- 5-U -- black dot -- R flex -- to replace my old Cobra II's.

All I can say is wow -- just like everyone on here said -- high & straight & a lot more consistent than my Cobra's. You can still hit a crappy shot w/ a crappy swing, but these clubs just give me confidence to just swing the club -- sort of like I do w/ my hybrids. Whenever I can just forget about all the technical stuff, I usually can hit a nice shot. They are about half a club longer than my Cobra's, but higher, which I have no problem with.

Now the true test will be on the course this week. :good:

Really interesting posts....especially for Golfwrx...Some years back while having medical problems I decided to purchase a set of Ping Raptures.... I was no longer able to practice as I always did and thought the Raptures would be less demanding...I no longer keep a handi but I break 80 most of the time...The Raptures were a instant success....I now have a set of Callaway Fusion thin soles ... a set of Ping eye2`s...and just picked up a set of Callaway Razr X`s...I play them all equally well...each set has small differences but after playing them for some time I can hit any shot that I want...

So the players clubs no longer have any advantage and when compared to the sets I now play.... actually the players clubs have many disadvantages...I`ve learned that GI`s hit tighter fades and draws...players clubs can hit some big draws/fades when your swing isn`t the best...

So it`s pretty much a no brainier...I see no reason to play hard to hit clubs....forgiveness is where it`s at for me ...it`s hard enough dealing with everything else in golf.... take some pressure off...

[quote name='20something' timestamp='1309139209' post='3337506']
I can't seem to get used to the wide sole on the G15s. I'm a sweeper and if I don't get it just right, I'm bouncing into the ball. My swing is a work-in-progress right now but I'm not having that problem with the X20s.

I'm about to return the G15s when I ran up on this topic. What to do, what to do.......
[/quote]

A lot of people have success with the Ping G series, but if they're not for you, they're not for you. You could give them more time and they may come around for you. Or maybe not. This could be a thread about Mizuno MP-XX irons, and just because some people play them and love them has no bearing on you. I seem to have problems with the wide soles as well. As forgiving as they are, they simply may not be ideal for certain swings. I'd say go with whatever works best.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='gomery012' timestamp='1309988638' post='3369837']
well, I guess this thread has to continue. Just shot career best 84 today with my G15 irons. Should have been better if not for choking on 9 and 18 with triple and double.
[/quote]

Congrats. My iron play has been coming around these days. Shot an 85 on Fathers Day. I have never, I mean never felt comfortable hitting a 4 iron until the G15's. Absolutely smoking it. Love it.

Now if my driving would come around.

• 5 weeks later...

G15s with KBS Tour is a money combo, if anyone is interested. I had AWT in them, which were just okay, but they are different clubs with the KBS. I'm hitting lasers lately, and shooting great scores. these irons are so good i got the matching gap wedge with the ping wrx T grind, something i have never ever done

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1312590337' post='3455615']
woohoo the thread resurfaces!
[/quote]

Do you get the warm fuzzie feeling when this thread comes back?

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='minhjn' timestamp='1312590612' post='3455624']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1312590337' post='3455615']
woohoo the thread resurfaces!
[/quote]

Do you get the warm fuzzie feeling when this thread comes back?
[/quote]

the bat signal goes off, except instead of a bat it's a big fat iron

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1312592106' post='3455678']
I can see G20s in Jeff's bag soon. At least the G20 driver......
[/quote]

i'm not so sure. Definitely not the G20 irons i'm just too happy with the 15's. If anything makes it into the bag it will be the driver but it will have to put up much better numbers than my G15 or DOT and i doubt it will. I can't splurge like i used to being a homeowner now...stupid mortgage

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1312592573' post='3455691']
[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1312592106' post='3455678']
I can see G20s in Jeff's bag soon. At least the G20 driver......
[/quote]

i'm not so sure. Definitely not the G20 irons i'm just too happy with the 15's. If anything makes it into the bag it will be the driver but it will have to put up much better numbers than my G15 or DOT and i doubt it will. I can't splurge like i used to being a homeowner now...stupid mortgage
[/quote]

Golfwrx is costing me thousands!

Now MtJeff have put grills in my head to get the G20 irons.
I hate you guys, but appreciate your insights on all kinda must-have equipment.

Must say, I am really happy with my MP-53's. Even they're far off my handicap range, I hit these better than my Cally ultra-sgi's. At least the hard numbers suggest so.....

Super thread.. I went down this road some years back as I was playing 690.cb's and was a 3-4. Got a caddie job with a pro who happened to have the then new g-5s in his bag. I was surprised but happy to get a win the first week with my new boss.. As we got to know each other better we developed a really good relationship and one day he asked me about my game and what equipment I played.. I told him and he looked at me like I'd given him a seriously bad number to the front edge and pin and said something like "no way...that's stupid". He got me a set of Rapture Js (i5 offset) eventually and I was sold on the concept. I play with a gang who run from Pro to 5 and all play mid-sized perimeter weighted heads or G-10/15s. Just how it is.. the one bit of advise I'd add to all this SGI love is to think about lightweight and possibly softer flex shafts. There is a lot of evidence that points to many of us over swinging in an attempt to load a shaft that is just too strong. One of the Gang played college golf and still shoots under par. He was fit by the mizuno guys into nippon 950 regs. he'll be happy to take your money after a round!