2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1319156612' post='3699151']
this thread is going to outlast my G15's haha....my next set will be GI, just not sure which yet, but have a pretty good idea. But as of this winter the G15's are no more....
[/quote]

what are you thinking of playing? I'm guessing AP1 712s.

2024 Bag TBD

[quote name='addictedtoBST' timestamp='1319158679' post='3699289']
this thread is going to outlast my G15's haha....my next set will be GI, just not sure which yet, but have a pretty good idea. But as of this winter the G15's are no more....
[/quote]

[/quote]

TA7 gunmetals or Razr X tours.....put a lot of thought into it, i think the TA7's are the perfect set for me. Same amount of offset but a smaller sole and still really forgiving.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='addictedtoBST' timestamp='1319158679' post='3699289']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats a good one in this group, nice looking feeling and preform well.

I am sorry for doubting my g15s. I realize now why I bought them in the first place. I have played the last 2 rounds with a more bladed iron and what a difference. That's not to say it was a complet train wreck but it was definitely not as consistent. The biggest difference I found was in the short clubs. My g15 gap wedge is my guaranteed money club even though it flys super high and I think I missed that club the most.

The g15s are back in the bag for a while.

That being said, they can be made better for sure.

How could I lower the ball flight. I play with x100 shafts so is there a way to bring the ball flight down without losing distance. I found that my bladed irons went easily a full club length further because the spin numbers were more ideal and the ball flight was more penetrating.

The difference was more evident the more lofted the club. My 4 and 5 were fairly close in distance but after that it was very noticeable how much further the blades went.

My yardage gaps are fine with my g15s but I am definitely losing distance.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

screw it i'm keeping my G15's....i just can't get rid of them haha. I birdied 2 holes today hitting 3 iron and 4 iron in. I just can't let these go

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Love this thread...all 16 pages!! LOL.....I'm waiting on my G15's from Golfsmith....6-UW. Cannot wait to see my GIR's explode.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='goliath23' timestamp='1319493018' post='3712701']
I am sorry for doubting my g15s. I realize now why I bought them in the first place. I have played the last 2 rounds with a more bladed iron and what a difference. That's not to say it was a complet train wreck but it was definitely not as consistent. The biggest difference I found was in the short clubs. My g15 gap wedge is my guaranteed money club even though it flys super high and I think I missed that club the most.

How could I lower the ball flight. I play with x100 shafts so is there a way to bring the ball flight down without losing distance. I found that my bladed irons went easily a full club length further because the spin numbers were more ideal and the ball flight was more penetrating.

The difference was more evident the more lofted the club. My 4 and 5 were fairly close in distance but after that it was very noticeable how much further the blades went.

[/quote]

The CFS shaft in the G20 definitely has a flatter ball flight. Worth demoing.

[/quote]

Very interested to see what suggestions people here have, as while I'm getting on really well with my G15's, I also feel like they're a little on the short side - Strangely my better hit shots simply fly higher (too much spin from the AWT shafts?). it's not a deal breaker by any means, but I have a two club gap between my G15 23 deg hybrid and my G15 5 iron, that at least has me thinking of adding a 4 iron to the set.

Steve

I agree. The harder you hit awt's the higher they go.

[quote name='ramsey_steve' timestamp='1319547932' post='3715043']

[/quote]

Very interested to see what suggestions people here have, as while I'm getting on really well with my G15's, I also feel like they're a little on the short side - Strangely my better hit shots simply fly higher (too much spin from the AWT shafts?). it's not a deal breaker by any means, but I have a two club gap between my G15 23 deg hybrid and my G15 5 iron, that at least has me thinking of adding a 4 iron to the set.

Steve
[/quote]

I've been quickly looking auto see what shafts would be best at lowering spin so correct me if I am wrong. In no particular order:

DG tour x7
Nippon blue (don't know the exact name) don't know if I would go stiff or x
Kbs c taper. (from what I was reading s+ might be the flex to go with for my swing)

Any other options?

All these options are really expensive but clearly I need a very drastic difference so these are the ones I found that people at are saying are he best. It would be nice to have a cheap alternative

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1319498630' post='3713085']
screw it i'm keeping my G15's....i just can't get rid of them haha. I birdied 2 holes today hitting 3 iron and 4 iron in. I just can't let these go
[/quote]

This means you're backing down from the Cally's?

No worries, you gotta stick to what is working for you.

I'll tell you something, if I could get a cheap set of yellow dot G15's or G20's, I would give it another go. I still had some very good scoring with them this year. I don't know why I was 'missfit' for my G15's.

But the BIIIG mistake I made was instead of getting a set of G20's in yellow dot, I thought I'd get I15's. They just aren't clicking for me. I don't know why... it doesn't make any sense really, but I look at these i15's and I think... why did I do this? Why didn't I just stick with G15's? I mean for offset and head size, it isn't exactly night and day, but you clearly do not have the forgiveness of the G15 in the i15 head.... close? maybe, but not the same.

I traded in my G15's on the i15's... or else I would perhaps get them bent? I got this schpeel from the Ping rep about if I bend them myself then PING frowns on that and blah blah blah... I should have just bent them.

Ok so I took the plunge. I'm a scratch player, but iron play has always been my weakness, I hit it plenty far off the tee and pretty accurately, but always felt like my irons were short and cost me.

This thread had drawn me in. I'm going to sell my Cally X-forged 09s (always used mizuno before that) and await delivery of my g15s. +1/2 inch, kbs tour s, blue dotted bad boys. I'm excited and depressed in the same breath. Not sure why. Excited for them to join my i15 driver and just found 17degree taylor made 300 series 4 wood.

Now I need to figure out a 3 wood and wedges. I'll report back, as it seems this tread isn't going away, and hopefully will share some G15 love!!

I never thought I would be bumping this back to the top, and could be considered crazy in what I am thinking of doing, but after looking at current prices of the new G20 in the UK, I am considering selling off my current gear and in purchasing a 4-U set to hone over the winter months.

Not because I do not like my current irons, quite the opposite, and the fact that I have only had them two weeks would make you think that I would hold on to them a little longer. The downfall with my current irons is that they have made me realise the errors in my setup very quickly, allowing me to hit the purest and most accurate iron shots that I have hit for a couple of years and show me how to compress the ball correctly (had always considered myself a sweeper up until 2 weeks ago).

The thing is, If I can do that with a blade, it does make me wonder how good this would be with an SGI when my game is off (which I am sure will happen soon).

I would need to sell my current irons and some other golf items first, but will look at getting fitted in the next week or two ready to order for the winter.

This could be the maddest thing I have ever done with golf equipment, I have never owned a set of Pings although been fitted about four times over the last 6 years (always Blue/black dot depending on flex). I dont love the look, but something keeps telling me to just try them. I think it may just be time to bite the bullet?

Cobra F Speed 10.5 ProLaunch Blue tipped 1/2"
Benross V5 18* Accra Dymatch RT
Ping i20 4-Pw CFS S
Titleist Vokey 52* DG S200
MD Beryllium 56* PX flighted 6.0
Seemore FGP Brass (black finish)

I got really dialed in with my G15's by the end of this season, but I used a slow day at my course yesterday to take out a set of I5's that I recently acquired. Wow, it was a pretty big difference from the G15's to the I5's. I know new clubs can take some adjusting to, but this little experiment yesterday will certainly keep my G15's in the bag. Now, here was the real revelation. I recently picked up some used G15 hybrids, 23* and 27*, with the steel AWT R flex shaft that I have in my G15 irons. These G15 hybrids were awesome. I've been playing 20* and 23* Rapture V2 hybrids, which are great in their own right and which I may frankly continue playing. But in particular, the 27* G15 hybrid with the AWT shaft, in lieu of my G15 5 iron, was so much easier to hit. That will surely have a place in the bag next season.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

First 18 with the G10's and I hit 10 greens and shot 77. Shaft in the G10 driver is too loose, but the irons were a pleasant surprise. I think they'd be better with some DG's in them for me. Feel real bad since I just got some J40 CB's. I think I'm going to give the G10's a good go, but I said the same about the J40's. wink.gif

Change is coming
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1127989-grant-the-tanks-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Timmay_MO' timestamp='1319548463' post='3715091']
I agree. The harder you hit awt's the higher they go.

[quote name='ramsey_steve' timestamp='1319547932' post='3715043']

[/quote]

Steve
[/quote]
[/quote]

Try some C-Tapers in your G15's you guys to get that flight down. They don't spin as much as the X100s, despite what people will say.. Go check out the huge C-Taper thread if you don't believe that.

I had some KBS Tours in my JPX 800 Pros that went to the moon. Then put some X100's in them but they went to the eiffel tower. Threw the C-Tapers in and they now have a nice high launch with a penetrating flight downrange.

Second day with the G-15's....Only played 9....Almost had a hole in one and hit three balls within three feet of the pin. Just amazing results.. Stupid easy is right....

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='stonecutter908' timestamp='1320702537' post='3771885']
Grabbing some popcorn and tracking this thread till it dies off ...
[/quote]

mmm....popcorn

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

i updated the subtitle to "2+ years now!"

woohoo, still playing them. Ping! Ping! Ping!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've read this thread since the start and have enjoyed the discussions. I can't afford g15's and am not a huge fan of the the super soles. I stumbled across a mint set of g5's that I got cheap, re-shafted them with some also cheap Black Gold shafts and just love them. The sole is not so wide and overall they don't have as overpowering a profile. If you can't go the 15 route, the 5's are a very nice alternative. Plus, they are the last of the US built models, and they match my i5's.

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1320716521' post='3772941']
I've read this thread since the start and have enjoyed the discussions. I can't afford g15's and am not a huge fan of the the super soles. I stumbled across a mint set of g5's that I got cheap, re-shafted them with some also cheap Black Gold shafts and just love them. The sole is not so wide and overall they don't have as overpowering a profile. If you can't go the 15 route, the 5's are a very nice alternative. Plus, they are the last of the US built models, and they match my i5's.
[/quote]

I love Black Gold shafts. I have them in my Adams Idea Pros, so when I bought my G15's last week I put BG's in them right away. The AWT shafts did'nt do it for me. Sure do love the Pings, they actually look better in person altho sexy they are not, its all about GIR's.