2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='RacineBoxer' timestamp='1307034036' post='3280186']
Just curious if many of you use the 9 iron, PW or even U-wedge for chipping or if you leave that to the specialized wedges?
[/quote]
Very big fan of chipping with a 9 iron from just off the green if I'm in the short grass. If I'm in the rough I use my S or L wedge, unless the ball is sitting up and I can use a putting stroke with a 9 iron.

Just a quick update to help keep this beast of a thread alive.

Anyone notice the PING presence on the Memorial leaderboard? Especially early on in the TV Coverage, PING had 1-2-3 on the leaderboard.

T1Chris Riley - G15 irons
T1Chris DiMarco - I3+ Blades - assuming they're remade with XG Grooves
T3 Josh Teeter - TM Staffer playing S56 irons
T13 Hunter Mahan S56
T22 - Chris Couch TM Staffer playing G15s - 5 straight birdie run during the round with them
T22 - Angel Cabrera S56

PING is really having a Banner year on Tour so far, going back into last season actually.

Cobra F6 10.5* Stock Red Tie S
Cobra F6 16* Stock Red Tie S
PING Eye 2+ 4-LW JZ S Green Dot
PING Anser 50th Anniversary

[quote name='Beckman4' timestamp='1307105280' post='3281892']
Just a quick update to help keep this beast of a thread alive.

Anyone notice the PING presence on the Memorial leaderboard? Especially early on in the TV Coverage, PING had 1-2-3 on the leaderboard.

T1Chris Riley - G15 irons
T1Chris DiMarco - I3+ Blades - assuming they're remade with XG Grooves
T3 Josh Teeter - TM Staffer playing S56 irons
T13 Hunter Mahan S56
T22 - Chris Couch TM Staffer playing G15s - 5 straight birdie run during the round with them
T22 - Angel Cabrera S56

PING is really having a Banner year on Tour so far, going back into last season actually.
[/quote]

I think DiMarco recently switched to the S56s, but could be wrong. Regardless, Ping has to be happy with the performance of their guys over the past 12 months. I have to admit, after reading the recent post on the work Ping is doing with the disabled veterans, I started looking hard at their products. As of the time of this posting, I have the following in the bag: 9.5* Ping i15/RIP70(x); 15.5* Ping i15/RIP70(x); 17* Ping i15 hybrid/UST(s); 20* Ping i15 hybrid/UST(s); Ping s56 (4-p) dgs400; Ping Tour S 52 & 58 dgs400. The only holdout is my putter. Great products and a very impressive company. After reading this post, maybe I should be looking at some G15 irons instead of the s56s. The 56s are just SOOO nice, though!

[quote name='Huskypride28' timestamp='1307037423' post='3280327']
[quote name='RacineBoxer' timestamp='1307034036' post='3280186']
Just curious if many of you use the 9 iron, PW or even U-wedge for chipping or if you leave that to the specialized wedges?
[/quote]
Very big fan of chipping with a 9 iron from just off the green if I'm in the short grass. If I'm in the rough I use my S or L wedge, unless the ball is sitting up and I can use a putting stroke with a 9 iron.
[/quote]

Thanks. I've fallen into the habit of practicing so much with my 56* that I end up using that for all of my shots around the green. Last week I found myself hitting balls to a 30 yard pin from the fringe, flying it 25 and getting maybe 5 of release. That's just crazy (IMO). I'm going to put forth the effort to practice with the 9i-PW (G15) this summer as I really do think getting the ball rolling sooner is the more repeatable, more forgiving shot. I just wasn't sure if people thought the G15's were too chunky for this (I just got mine a month ago). I had a practice session last night and used mostly the PW (heck it's a 9i loft of yesteryear) and got very comfortable with it quite quickly. I'm thinking the bulky G15's will hold up just fine to chipping.

Anyone else agree or disagree?

Well, went to Golfsmith today, as my brother wanted to look at some irons. I have posted on here before that I was gonna get G15s, but could never pull the trigger. Well, today, I took the 6 iron, black dot with a stiff AWT to the hitting bay. Wow - it's just about all I can say. It was the softest feeling cast club I've ever hit. I wasn't making good contact because I play irons about 2 degrees flat, and I didn't like the shaft, but man, was it forgiving. My brother started nudging me to buy them, since I always say I want some G15s, so, I went ahead and got fit. Got the 5-UW, standard length, purple dot, AWT reg. I gained about 15 yards using the regular flex vs. the stiff. I was hitting the AWT S (6 irons) about 150, but it felt like it was a bit too stiff (SS with 6 iron was 70-73 mph). So once I got dialed in with length and lie and shaft flex, I was hitting the 7 iron about 155! Now, I know you can't really trust those hitting bay numbers, but it still felt better, and the ball came off the face hot. What was really surprising was the distance on mishits. Even if I hit one off the toe, I only lost about 5, maybe 10 yards. Obviously, if you put a bad swing on the ball, you can still miss left of right, but the distance lost on mishits was amazingly low. And as I said, these things feel soft on impact. Perhaps the best feeling irons I've hit. Sound is great too, a nice THWACK! on contact. They should be here in 1-2 weeks.

Also, I traded in my Titleist 755s, and got $100 for them, which is exactly what I paid, so it's a win-win for me.

[quote name='Slunkhead' timestamp='1307308323' post='3286456']
Well, went to Golfsmith today, as my brother wanted to look at some irons. I have posted on here before that I was gonna get G15s, but could never pull the trigger. Well, today, I took the 6 iron, black dot with a stiff AWT to the hitting bay. Wow - it's just about all I can say. It was the softest feeling cast club I've ever hit. I wasn't making good contact because I play irons about 2 degrees flat, and I didn't like the shaft, but man, was it forgiving. My brother started nudging me to buy them, since I always say I want some G15s, so, I went ahead and got fit. Got the 5-UW, standard length, purple dot, AWT reg. I gained about 15 yards using the regular flex vs. the stiff. I was hitting the AWT S (6 irons) about 150, but it felt like it was a bit too stiff (SS with 6 iron was 70-73 mph). So once I got dialed in with length and lie and shaft flex, I was hitting the 7 iron about 155! Now, I know you can't really trust those hitting bay numbers, but it still felt better, and the ball came off the face hot. What was really surprising was the distance on mishits. Even if I hit one off the toe, I only lost about 5, maybe 10 yards. Obviously, if you put a bad swing on the ball, you can still miss left of right, but the distance lost on mishits was amazingly low. And as I said, these things feel soft on impact. Perhaps the best feeling irons I've hit. Sound is great too, a nice THWACK! on contact. They should be here in 1-2 weeks.

Also, I traded in my Titleist 755s, and got $100 for them, which is exactly what I paid, so it's a win-win for me.
[/quote]

Congrats on your purchase. I am still amazed at my Diablo Edges I bought a few weeks ago, haven't really looked back since. I am hitting more greens in regulation and keeping more par-5 second shots in great position than I ever have before. The only thing that's really hurting me now is my putting (35 putts per round is too many).

Hey..... I wonder if Ping makes putters?

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff, you've created a monster!

This cult of G15 has me so close to pulling the trigger on these, but I also really like the jpx 800. I have hit them both and they're both great clubs. Each gets almost universal praise, but I'm torn between the ping's proven track record, reputation for quality, resale value, and price vs. the mizzy's slightly better distance, much better looks, better shaft options?, and they're generally newer (though G20s are around the corner.)

Anyone else struggle with or made a decision between these two great irons?

Hate to go against the stream but I still prefer s56's over g15's (5-PW)

I tried to go with the Anser forged 4 iron ... but am back to the rapture J-spec 4

Too many Ping Gi 4 irons in the basement now :o)

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

G15 are indeed the real deal. I have been tearing it up since making the switch. I have tied my best round ever 3 times already since picking them up and all my rounds have been great. Too bad my putting and driving has gone to s***. I now have a g15 driver on the way. When it gets to even average I'm gonna be having some great rounds.

And for those who fear the hook pls don't. I use to always draw the ball and my misses were always over draws. Now I hit it straight or a slight fade. My only real misses are miss hits.

This thread is the worst peer pressure. I like my Razr X Tours but the grass is always greener on the other side. Just had a long weekend where I was very disappointed in my play so I'm thinking of jumping off the Callaway bandwagon and building a Ping bag. I haven't used Pings since I had a set of I3+ OS/Blade combos and a Rapture V1 driver.

So, I'm probably going to go for a dynamic fitting with an eye to adding G15 irons 4 through U. Just for nostalgia I'm probably also going to add Eye2 XG wedges and see how they do.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Just as an update, played my 3rd round with the G15 irons on Sunday. Shot an 85 which is an all time low for me on that course.

The thing that really struck me was how many opportunities I had for birdie. It is absolutely unreal as this is rare for me. Being able to hit a GIR has given me so much confidence in my game.

These irons are the real deal.

So would these irons be comparable to any SGI/GI iron set out there? I see a good deal on brand new Burner Plus irons but all the used G15's cost more money. Just wondering if any old manufacturer's "big shovel" would provide the same results as people are getting from the Ping's.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

[quote name='dees72' timestamp='1308707706' post='3325849']
Anyone else experience a significant adjustment period with these irons? I have to say I just got mine and I just don't like them.
[/quote]

Forgetting about the "players" who wouldn't use an iron of the G15 type, even amongst mid-high handicappers, it is different strokes for different folks. I posted in another thread recently that for some reason, I just don't seem to hit the Ping GI/SGI irons well. I played the G5's for several rounds last season, and never had a good round with them. I then tried the Rapture V2's for a round this season, and again had a poor round. I then stumbled on a good deal for Mizuno MX-200 irons, so still GI but much different shape and type of iron than the G/Rapture series. I took them out for their first round 2 weeks ago, not having hit them once, and had my best round ever. I flat out hit them significantly better than the Pings, and they were still very forgiving and so smooth to hit.

I would never diminish what the others in this thread are experiencing with the G15's, but for me, it seems that I llikely would not hit them well, just like my other trials with other Pings. So it is not impossible that the G15's simply may not be for you, but you may as well give them a bit more time.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I picked up another set of SGI irons 2 weeks ago, although they are not G15's. Sirvinim, I went to a local Golfsmith, and tried the Burner Plus, the new ones with the Uniflex shafts. I tried them against a set of used Callaway X-20's they had on the rack, which I played most of last year. The Callaway's won handily. Better dispersion, higher trajectory, and longer. The salesman walked out after he saw how much better the Callaway's were for me. So, I don't think you need to just get the G15's. Try a few different sets, and see what works best for you.

I am replacing a set of X-22 Tour's with these X-20's. I hit them higher, which is good for me. I'm around a 7 handicap now, and iron strikes for me are all over the face when I'm not swinging well. I am hoping these X-20's get me back to a 4, like I was when I sold my set last year. I've been hitting many more greens the last 2 weeks than I have all year. And they only set me back $158!!

And just ordered a set of s400 4-U from Discount Dans. Expected delivery is 2 weeks! Super excited.

Used to be a great ballstriker when I played often, but two kids (maybe more ;) ) obviously cuts down on opportunities to get out. I love being a dad, and if it means I get shovels, then so be it!

What finally tipped me was I went to EW and hit a demo 7 iron a few times and was surprised...I straight up squared everything. Proceeded to grab my exact club, which I brought, and toe 3 in a row. Lightbulb went off and now I wait for the arrival.;)

Thanks to this thread for pushing me where I never would have gone

I picked up another set of SGI irons 2 weeks ago, although they are not G15's. Sirvinim, I went to a local Golfsmith, and tried the Burner Plus, the new ones with the Uniflex shafts. I tried them against a set of used Callaway X-20's they had on the rack, which I played most of last year. The Callaway's won handily. Better dispersion, higher trajectory, and longer. The salesman walked out after he saw how much better the Callaway's were for me. So, I don't think you need to just get the G15's. Try a few different sets, and see what works best for you.

I am replacing a set of X-22 Tour's with these X-20's. I hit them higher, which is good for me. I'm around a 7 handicap now, and iron strikes for me are all over the face when I'm not swinging well. I am hoping these X-20's get me back to a 4, like I was when I sold my set last year. I've been hitting many more greens the last 2 weeks than I have all year. And they only set me back $158!!

Yet another confirmation of "different strokes for different folks" Love my g15's btw...when I start hitting them badly I just blame myselfrolleyes.gif

I had a set of G15s with DGS400 but I could not get used to the shaft. I sold them and picked up a set of Wilson Staff DI-11. These have a player look with all the forgiveness of the G15s.

The offset looks much smaller on these because of the fat shaft and top line looks pretty thin the type of iron these are. Yes, the club head is large just like the G15, but the shape really hides it.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

[quote name='NevinW' timestamp='1308754584' post='3326874']
I picked up a set of G15's on Ebay just to try out and I have to admit, that based on one range session they are impressive. They go long high and extremely straight. No curving the ball for these things! Really easy to hit. I was impressed though. I'll play nine holes tonight with them and see how it goes. - Nevin
[/quote]

This is where the G5's/Rapture V2's were deceiving for me. I always hit them well at the range, better than a more traditional GI iron like the Mizuno MX series. They were very comfortable for me off the mats, nice high ball flight, etc. But when I'd get out on the course, nothing would go well for me with them, from turf interaction from the fairway, cutting through the rough, directional control, etc. When I took the MX-200's out recently, I was taking nice divots, virtually every shot was straight, virtually every shot was high and long, and they sliced right through the rough really nicely. I still have my Rapture V2's around, but I feel pretty good about my primary sets being the MX-200's, and the Callaway X-22's. I just think the thinner iron, but still GI, works best for me. Anyway, hope taking your G15's out on the course works just as well as the range for you.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I took the G15's out for nine holes last night and came away really impressed. Everything was just dead straight. Only curves were due to the wind. Without the 3 putts I would have been well below par. Just as long as my Mizuno jpx 800 pro's but easier to hit. Will play another nine holes tonight and see if the clubs continue to perform. These clubs appear to be the real deal. - Nevin