2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1297019701' post='2956054']
So...i started this thread around this time of the year in 2010. And i'll see if i can add something to it in 2011

I had the best ballstriking season i've ever had last year. Of course this could also be because i've only been playing 6 years and i'm just naturally improving. Currently i feel like my swing is better than it's ever been too (i finally flattened it a bit and improved my tempo, which was a bit inconsistent for a while)

Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

Anyway, all this to say i just bought a set of S59's today for a really great deal. Getting X shafts in them as we speak, and will alternate rounds and range sessions with my G15's to really get a true comparison....will report back in a little while!
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear how it goes Jeff.

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1297091903' post='2957616']
I have been lazy about my hcp in the last six months, but started at an 8. But....my scores have dropped by several strokes. Last two rounds were 72, 74. I know think I have my greatest chance to shoot a 60 something number. I am hitting several more greens BECAUSE of thse irons.
[/quote]

Awesome. I am thinking about going to these. I don't work the ball very much anyway, so I don't have a benefit to hitting a blade or player's cavity iron. The best round I have ever shot is par, (only once), and that was with PING i5's. I like the size and offset of the i5's, and I have been curious about the i and g 15's.

Great thread and thanks for posting this. I too have thought about going to the SGI/GI route. With my new job I play and practice far less than I used too. My mp62's are getting harder to hit consistantly and my scores have suffered from it. Although I'm not a single digit handicap I played to a 10 in my good days. Now I'm more of a 15 and need the forgiveness. I played with a guy a couple weeks ago who is an 8 and plays X-20's. He said he loved the forgiveness and suggested I do the same to make the game more enjoyable again since I don't play or practice as much anymore. I'm looking to pick up a set up AP1's this spring. May try the G15's too because of this post.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1297092911' post='2957641']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1297019701' post='2956054']
So...i started this thread around this time of the year in 2010. And i'll see if i can add something to it in 2011

I had the best ballstriking season i've ever had last year. Of course this could also be because i've only been playing 6 years and i'm just naturally improving. Currently i feel like my swing is better than it's ever been too (i finally flattened it a bit and improved my tempo, which was a bit inconsistent for a while)

Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

Anyway, all this to say i just bought a set of S59's today for a really great deal. Getting X shafts in them as we speak, and will alternate rounds and range sessions with my G15's to really get a true comparison....will report back in a little while!
[/quote]

Can't wait to hear how it goes Jeff.
[/quote]

when i was younger and just starting out with golf, the S59's were just coming out and were my iconic set. I thought they were the sexiest clubs i'd ever seen. So when i had the chance to nab a set in great condition for under 100$ after a couple of trade ins....you couldn't have stopped me from buying them even with a gun to my head. Especially since i had AWT X shafts lying around waiting to be used

just a coincidence that it happens to be a perfect way to put my SGI thread to the test

either way i'm happy to finally own S59's. I feel like Kevin Spacey in american beauty after buying the firebird. "i rule"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

well im jumping back on board of the game improvement irons,dont play enough and when i do i want to enjoy it,so g10s or g15s here i come

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1297189807' post='2960574']
Well I went ahead and oredered the following to try out:

G15 driver w/ Prolaunch Axis Platinum
G15 4 and 7 woods w/ Prolaunch Axis Platinum
G15 4-LW w/KBS
[/quote]

you keeping the 68s?

Ping 10k 

PIng 435 3 Wood

Ping 435 17 and 22 Hybrids

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1297203648' post='2961161']
[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1297189807' post='2960574']
Well I went ahead and oredered the following to try out:

G15 driver w/ Prolaunch Axis Platinum
G15 4 and 7 woods w/ Prolaunch Axis Platinum
G15 4-LW w/KBS
[/quote]

you keeping the 68s?
[/quote]

As of right now yes. If I do not sell prior to the weather changing I plan on keeping them.

[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1297202844' post='2961133']
Way to go Jeff. Once again making sales for Ping. You getting a cut of all G15 sales?????
[/quote]

no....bah, stupid Ping! I should at least get like some headcovers or towels out of this. Cmon i know you OEM guys read our forum, throw me a frickin bone here

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1297225589' post='2962099']
[quote name='TCMP' timestamp='1297202844' post='2961133']
Way to go Jeff. Once again making sales for Ping. You getting a cut of all G15 sales?????
[/quote]

no....bah, stupid Ping! I should at least get like some headcovers or towels out of this. Cmon i know you OEM guys read our forum, throw me a frickin bone here
[/quote]

Honestly you should get something. You are directly responsible for me getting them

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote]Honestly you should get something. You are directly responsible for me getting them
[/quote] +1 Me too. COME ON PING!!!!!

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='Huskypride28' timestamp='1297102327' post='2957971']
Great thread and thanks for posting this. I too have thought about going to the SGI/GI route. With my new job I play and practice far less than I used too. My mp62's are getting harder to hit consistantly and my scores have suffered from it. Although I'm not a single digit handicap I played to a 10 in my good days. Now I'm more of a 15 and need the forgiveness. I played with a guy a couple weeks ago who is an 8 and plays X-20's. He said he loved the forgiveness and suggested I do the same to make the game more enjoyable again since I don't play or practice as much anymore. I'm looking to pick up a set up AP1's this spring. May try the G15's too because of this post.
[/quote]

Simliar for me as well. Ap1s and 15s are good, might want to also try the burners, jp 800s, and the new callys razr x.

• 2 weeks later...

experiment 2011 over, basically before it begins. 5 range sessions and 1 virtual round in with the S59's and the G15's are going back in the bag faster than i can say "if it ain't broke"

Not.....even....close

Yeah it would take a while to get used to less offset and etc...but bottom line i didn't hit one shot in any of the range sessions that i couldn't have done with my G15's. Plus i was losing 20yds on some shots i didn't even feel i missed that badly

Blade players, you are all better ball strikers than me!

thread closed, i am outty 5000 (on this subject)

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

For me, SGIs just reduce playability in less than perfect situations. I gave SGIs a shot for a year. Rapture Js, to my specs. However, shots out of the rough, tough lies, etc, they were useless. On the range, they're a no brainer. Perfect lies every time, why wouldn't I want a club that goes high and straight regardless of where I hit it? The real world results were not as great. Went back to a forged cavity, and will never look at SGIs again. (for reference I am a decent ball striking scratch player)

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

[quote]experiment 2011 over, basically before it begins. 5 range sessions and 1 virtual round in with the S59's and the G15's are going back in the bag faster than i can say "if it ain't broke"

Not.....even....close

Yeah it would take a while to get used to less offset and etc...but bottom line i didn't hit one shot in any of the range sessions that i couldn't have done with my G15's. Plus i was losing 20yds on some shots i didn't even feel i missed that badly

[/quote] Sorry to hear it, but........ and glad to hear it too :clapping: I just got my G15's (because of this thread) and love 'em. Didn't want to hear you were leaving your cult following...

TM Stealth2+ 10.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1298007050' post='2989005']
experiment 2011 over, basically before it begins. 5 range sessions and 1 virtual round in with the S59's and the G15's are going back in the bag faster than i can say "if it ain't broke"

Not.....even....close

[/quote]

YES! Another one for the home team!

Not.....even....close

[/quote]

This makes me feel better. I too loved the look of the s59's so much that I bought a set in 2007. I played them for a couple of years, but finally decided to trade them in for 09' burners and golf became fun again. Granted I typically shoot in the mid to upper 80's and probably had no business using s59's in the first place, but I'm glad to here it wasn't just me experiencing a pretty dramatic yardage loss.

GI irons may not be sexy, but the golf I play with them sure is!

It's ironic that this thread is here. I was at the dome yesterday and hit the ugliest looking iron thing that I have ever seen. It was an Adams A303 I believe. It was stupid easy to hit. I once played a 9 hole round with a set of Callaway Big Bertha (2002) and shot a -4 31.... felt like I was cheating. So I'm now thinking of getting away from my beloved Pi5 irons from Wilson Staff and go into a SGI iron set.

The game can be tough... why make it tougher? As I once read or heard... "it's not the how... it's the how many". As a low handicap I would have no problem playing a SGI especially after yesterday.

Alex

A buddy of mine met me at the range yesterday. He's been demoing some of Titleist's new driver offerings and currently plays a 905T. After hitting a few balls with his gamer (905T) he asked if he could hit my G15 driver. "Sure", I said with a grin on my face. He hit ball after ball of towering straight shots. He couldn't believe it. I just about couldn't get my driver peeled out of his hands.

He said "This driver is so much more forgiving than my 905T that I almost can't believe it".

Again, why make the game harder????????

[quote name='PreppySlapCut' timestamp='1298009018' post='2989050']
For me, SGIs just reduce playability in less than perfect situations. I gave SGIs a shot for a year. Rapture Js, to my specs. However, shots out of the rough, tough lies, etc, they were useless. On the range, they're a no brainer. Perfect lies every time, why wouldn't I want a club that goes high and straight regardless of where I hit it? The real world results were not as great. Went back to a forged cavity, and will never look at SGIs again. (for reference I am a decent ball striking scratch player)
[/quote]

Great thread. Enjoyed everyone's comments.

I'm a scratch golfer. Shoot 70-80....depending on my short game..

I'm 42. Been playing for 35 years. Blades most my life.

I've had MB Titleist in the bag since 2003. Before that.....Mizuno Pro-II & Ping Eye 2.

I've had many days where I have been frustrated with my Muscle Back irons. No question. And I have tried the SGI irons to see "what happens" . I picked up a set of G5 irons a few years back ((for cheap)) and gave it a go.

I found the range sessions were a snap. Easy. Too good to be true.

When I got out on the course, and had situations where I really had to use my imagination for a shot, the SGI irons were of no use. To me....the SGI irons are for guys that stand up to a ball and go through what I would call "stock swings".

They probably are the kind of players that go through a check list and keep their minds occupied with "body positions & many swing thoughts."

I try to focus on targets and where I want the ball to go. Focus on trajectory....etc. I play my best golf when my mind is no where near my body, but rather out toward my target.

The muscle back irons give me the best opportunity to shape shots and focus on target. The SGI did me no favors if I had to come out of the rough or if I had to fade a shot around a tree.

I'm considering going to a SGI iron to save my back. After all these years, I am not able to play as much because I'm wearing out. ((There were seasons I hit balls virtually evey day of the year. Not good.))

Great thread.

I see PROS on tour playing SGI irons & question whether they are right for me. I'm skeptical. But haven't ruled anything out.

[quote name='HappyGas' timestamp='1298042405' post='2989559']
[/quote]

I've had MB Titleist in the bag since 2003. Before that.....Mizuno Pro-II & Ping Eye 2.

I've had many days where I have been frustrated with my Muscle Back irons. No question. And I have tried the SGI irons to see "what happens" . I picked up a set of G5 irons a few years back ((for cheap)) and gave it a go.

When I got out on the course, and had situations where I really had to use my imagination for a shot, the SGI irons were of no use. To me....the SGI irons are for guys that stand up to a ball and go through what I would call "stock swings".

They probably are the kind of players that go through a check list and keep their minds occupied with "body positions & many swing thoughts."

I try to focus on targets and where I want the ball to go. Focus on trajectory....etc. I play my best golf when my mind is no where near my body, but rather out toward my target.

The muscle back irons give me the best opportunity to shape shots and focus on target. [b]The SGI did me no favors if I had to come out of the rough or if I had to fade a shot around a tree.

[/b]I'm considering going to a SGI iron to save my back. After all these years, I am not able to play as much because I'm wearing out. ((There were seasons I hit balls virtually evey day of the year. Not good.))

Great thread.

I see PROS on tour playing SGI irons & question whether they are right for me. I'm skeptical. But haven't ruled anything out.
[/quote]

Ever think that playing a more forgiving club might eliminate the rough and behind the tree shots to begin with?

[quote name='pingguy69' timestamp='1298042921' post='2989581']
[quote name='HappyGas' timestamp='1298042405' post='2989559']
[/quote]

The muscle back irons give me the best opportunity to shape shots and focus on target. [b]The SGI did me no favors if I had to come out of the rough or if I had to fade a shot around a tree.

[/b]I'm considering going to a SGI iron to save my back. After all these years, I am not able to play as much because I'm wearing out. ((There were seasons I hit balls virtually evey day of the year. Not good.))

Great thread.

[/quote]

Ever think that playing a more forgiving club might eliminate the rough and behind the tree shots to begin with?
[/quote]

I'm going to assume you are being funny here.

Best players in the world find themselves in trouble. Nature of the game.

But I get your point.... ;o )

I have two glaring problems with SGI irons and my swing:

1. They simply go way too high for me. Especially in the short irons.
3 & 4 iron - I love the height I get with these. Talk about beautiful, long straight shots. I could easily trade my 3 hyrbid for a SGI 3 iron.
5,6,7 - definitely higher than I like.
8,9,PW - I'm hitting moon balls.

2. The soles are just too wide for my liking. This isn't a problem about 60% of the time when I'm hitting from a nice fairway lie. But hitting out of a divot, hardpan (which is all over courses in Phoenix), thick rough, or anything else that's iffy, the SGI just aren't as well suited as the nice thin sole of my blades.

Other than those two things, I could totally play SGI irons, and I'm a happy blade player. The height is the biggie. 5-PW just go way too high for my swing. I find it takes something with the weight distribution of a Players CB to keep my short irons at a height i like.

MTJeff, Keep working on the range with your S59s. It will really help your swing, even if you only use them for practice.

Not.....even....close

[/quote]

Gee, now it makes me contemplate even attempting the same experiment this year. Maybe I should keep my virgin MP68s and play the G15s for the year. Was originally leaning the other way :russian_roulette:

[quote name='scottland' timestamp='1298043699' post='2989605']

3 & 4 iron - I love the height I get with these. Talk about beautiful, long straight shots. I could easily trade my 3 hyrbid for a SGI 3 iron.

2. The soles are just too wide for my liking. This isn't a problem about 60% of the time when I'm hitting from a nice fairway lie. But hitting out of a divot, hardpan (which is all over courses in Phoenix), thick rough, or anything else that's iffy, the SGI just aren't as well suited as the nice thin sole of my blades.

Other than those two things, I could totally play SGI irons, and I'm a happy blade player. The height is the biggie. 5-PW just go way too high for my swing. I find it takes something with the weight distribution of a Players CB to keep my short irons at a height i like.

MTJeff, Keep working on the range with your S59s. It will really help your swing, even if you only use them for practice.
[/quote]

the thing is, all BS and all biases aside. I honestly didn't feel SGI's hurt my swing at all. After a year with the G15's my swing has never been better. I won a tournament at my club at the end of last year, i played in a scramble and hit 18-18 greens a week later (obviously we weren't always hitting my drives). I flattened my swing this year and it's in better shape than it was prior to me buying the SGI's. I put X100's in them to help with trajectory control and it really helped, and i really feel i can hit any shot, i mean i've hit punch draws and fades, getting it up over trees has never been easier etc...

i wanted to play at least some of this season with S59's but there is just no point. It took me 2 weeks to remember why i changed in the first place.

The point of the thread was never to say that SGI's were right for everyone. But i did want a true low handicap's perspective on discounting some of the myths revolving around them. Such as workability, shots from the rough, and the "it will hurt your swing" thinking

my 100% honest feedback after a year in which i played 75 rounds, and had probably 100 range sessions on top of that, is that these clubs take nothing off the table while bringing a lot more to it. But that is one man's opinion...

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1298073028' post='2990896']

[/quote]

the thing is, all BS and all biases aside. I honestly didn't feel SGI's hurt my swing at all. After a year with the G15's my swing has never been better. I won a tournament at my club at the end of last year, i played in a scramble and hit 18-18 greens a week later (obviously we weren't always hitting my drives). I flattened my swing this year and it's in better shape than it was prior to me buying the SGI's. I put X100's in them to help with trajectory control and it really helped, and i really feel i can hit any shot, i mean i've hit punch draws and fades, getting it up over trees has never been easier etc...

i wanted to play at least some of this season with S59's but there is just no point. It took me 2 weeks to remember why i changed in the first place.

The point of the thread was never to say that SGI's were right for everyone. But i did want a true low handicap's perspective on discounting some of the myths revolving around them. Such as workability, shots from the rough, and the "it will hurt your swing" thinking

my 100% honest feedback after a year in which i played 75 rounds, and had probably 100 range sessions on top of that, is that these clubs take nothing off the table while bringing a lot more to it. But that is one man's opinion...
[/quote]

....tell me about your game.

Age.

Height....

Weight ???

Handicap ??

Do you shoot mostly 75--80 ??

How about State Tourney's.....
Would you try a US Open Local ????

Just curious.

[quote name='HappyGas' timestamp='1298082516' post='2991342']

Age.

Height....

Weight ???

Handicap ??

Just curious.
[/quote]

Who was this aimed at? You quoted 2 different posts.

Jeff usually shoots low 70's and some below par.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Age.

Height....

Weight ???

Handicap ??

Just curious.
[/quote]

fluctuate between 0-2 depending on what point in the season it is (midsummer i'm at my best obviously, living in the northeast). I'm 6 foot 190lbs and am a pretty decent iron player. I can hit it straight or fade it at will with any club. Hitting draws is tough for me with any iron, SGI or not. Mostly i'll just play in interclubs or club championships. Not quite good enough to play in local amateurs quite yet but hopefully soon. Weakest part of my game is 10-15 foot putts (don't make enough).

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1298146858' post='2992846']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Age.

Height....

Weight ???

Handicap ??

Just curious.
[/quote]

fluctuate between 0-2 depending on what point in the season it is (midsummer i'm at my best obviously, living in the northeast). I'm 6 foot 190lbs and am a pretty decent iron player. I can hit it straight or fade it at will with any club. Hitting draws is tough for me with any iron, SGI or not. Mostly i'll just play in interclubs or club championships. Not quite good enough to play in local amateurs quite yet but hopefully soon. Weakest part of my game is 10-15 foot putts (don't make enough).
[/quote]

Very nice.

Thanks for opening up about your game.

I have your NEXT "experiment"......

Go a season doing the following....

1. Only practice your short game.
2. Really work on a Pre shot routine.
3. DO NOT BEAT BALLS AT THE RANGE.
4. To loosen up.....hit about 15 bunker shots.
5. Really focus on using your EYES.
6. Really try to ONLY focus on ball flight.....trajectory.
7. NO RANGE SESSIONS.....only practice short game.
8. Not a single mechanical "swing thought".

For an entire season. You'll love it !!!