my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

This thread really has me thinking about G15s or Raptures. I am about a 12 handicap and have been going through irons like it was my job the last few years. Shot my best rounds with G10s and i5s, but now the i5s are very very pricey due to their "classic" status. I only play once a week and never get a chance to practice. My only hesitation is that I am a sweeper and take very little of a divot. Maybe I should get a set of these shovels and KEEP them and learn to hit them well. Switching clubs has probably taken it's toll on my game. I am sure my GIR stats would go up and eventually lead to better scoring, but I am concerned about being a sweeper.

black%20eye.gif

I don't care what anyone thinks about them - I love my Rapture V2s. I don't care if you don't like how big they are, how green they are, how fat they are, how expensive they are ....I don't care one bit. Since buying them in June, I have shaved 5 strokes off my handicap - and will continue to improve. Now I know it's the archer, not the arrow...but damn - if they archer is this comfortable, he will control the arrow better.

I have R7 XDs before - but I am playing worlds better with my Pings.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

This thread really has me thinking about G15s or Raptures. I am about a 12 handicap and have been going through irons like it was my job the last few years. Shot my best rounds with G10s and i5s, but now the i5s are very very pricey due to their "classic" status. I only play once a week and never get a chance to practice. My only hesitation is that I am a sweeper and take very little of a divot. Maybe I should get a set of these shovels and KEEP them and learn to hit them well. Switching clubs has probably taken it's toll on my game. I am sure my GIR stats would go up and eventually lead to better scoring, but I am concerned about being a sweeper.

black%20eye.gif

I've got problems sweeping my fairwaywoods too much. Just focus on getting the hands "high" on the top of the backswing and then strike DOWN on the ball from there.

My bag are also going trough some changes, and hopefully I'll do a WITB later. Perhaps I went a little extreme with the game improvement...

What made me take the step? I realized I'll never be a pro, even if it was my childhood dream. I think few people (and a large % of the people on this site) ever lets go of that dream - nothing wrong with that, but...

It seems that many focus on getting the perfect ball flight on perfect hits. This focus, and the "pro dream", I think stands in the way for lower scores.

In the way of focusing all their energy on low scores.

That's what I'll do from now on, my goal will be a round below par this year, or at least 2011.

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1282580866' post='2656736']
... how green they are, ...
[/quote]

Mean Green Scoring Machines!

Going for game improvement clubs I reasoned like this:

okay!

Rory thinks he can play Titleist MB:s, and he's probably right
Striker thinks he can play Titleist CB:s, and he's probably right
Zach thinks he can play Titleist AP2:s, and he's probably right
I think I can play [b].............[/b], and I'm probably right

What, honestly, could I fill in on the dotted line[b] without fooling myself[/b]?

So now I can't wait! I'll have delivery Thursday, going the same afternoon to my clubmaker for new grips + lie corrections. So really, I'm waiting for gaming them on Friday!

I just read this thread and decided to throw my 2 cents in...

I have played the Callaway "Tour" series for many years (X-16 Tours and X-20 Tours) with stiff shafts. I have never been one to be able to feel the shaft "kick" near impact. Last year I completely lost my game and decided to go on a friends recommendation to switch to GI irons and regular shafts. I purchased a set of G-10's with AWT regular shafts. WOW is all I can say. My index went from 4.2 to +2.4 in less than 12 months. My only complaint is that I struggle to hit fades with the offset of the G-10 but I can really feel the "kick" of the regular shaft at the bottom.

Recently I picked up an old set of black oxide Mizuno MP-33's with S300's because I have been hitting the ball so well. It didn't take long to realize what a HUGE difference the G-10's make on off-center hits. I will say, however, that when I hit a forged club hit dead solid compared to GI iron dead solid that the forged feels MUCH better to me.

So, I am planning on re-tooling at the end of this season. I have decided that a forged, cavity back iron is the way to go for me with PX 5.0's. Anyway, that has been my story over the past 18-24 months.

Okay, now I can claim to be a convert too. The G15's are here!

I'm shooting high 70's, hoping to get lower with my new irons!

I went for the full GI experience, so I bought a set with graphite shafts.

I bought Pings stock shafts because
a) I bought used, not too much to choose from
b) I'm happy with my woods that's got the stock shafts

I haven't gamed them yet, I went to my clubmaker today for checkup + new grips.

Notables:

1) 6 and 5 iron (and probably 3 and 4) are a little different from the others, they've got a polymer insert in the toe (too).

2) I had the lofts and lies checked with his Mitchel machine.
Lies were +- 0.5 from spec.
Lofts were for I5-I9 one degree too little (=stronger). Wedges were spot at spec.

I had him correct loft and lie - he said Pings were tough but absolutely not impossible to bend, at least not with a proper machine like his mitchel.

I've seen a film from pings factory, they use rubber clubs for lie, and a huge gripper for loft.

I called Ping, and the clubs weren't ordered strong from what they could see, and the previous owner wasn't the type who takes the to a clubmaker for any changes. And since the error were so consistent it can't have been due to use or mistake - I guess. The wedges were spot on loft-vice.

Can't wait to game them...

Now, if only the shipping company would deliver my feaking H4!

:partytime2:

Since I can't ship with GI wedges (NO I can't, really, I've tried, feel happy if you can!) I'll keep two Vokey wedges 50 8 & 58 8 in my bag, and use the G15 SW for "longer shorter shots" + fluffy bunkers, and use the Vokeys around green.

[quote name='chuckt59' timestamp='1282740517' post='2660708']
I just read this thread and decided to throw my 2 cents in...

I have played the Callaway "Tour" series for many years (X-16 Tours and X-20 Tours) with stiff shafts. I have never been one to be able to feel the shaft "kick" near impact. Last year I completely lost my game and decided to go on a friends recommendation to switch to GI irons and regular shafts. I purchased a set of G-10's with AWT regular shafts. WOW is all I can say. My index went from 4.2 to +2.4 in less than 12 months. My only complaint is that I struggle to hit fades with the offset of the G-10 but I can really feel the "kick" of the regular shaft at the bottom.

Recently I picked up an old set of black oxide Mizuno MP-33's with S300's because I have been hitting the ball so well. It didn't take long to realize what a HUGE difference the G-10's make on off-center hits. I will say, however, that when I hit a forged club hit dead solid compared to GI iron dead solid that the forged feels MUCH better to me.

So, I am planning on re-tooling at the end of this season. I have decided that a forged, cavity back iron is the way to go for me with PX 5.0's. Anyway, that has been my story over the past 18-24 months.
[/quote]

Dude, a +2.4 playing regular AWT shafts.....you have to be one of a kind! Not that it's a bad thing because you are playing what works for you. Props for that!

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a used set of G15's 4-pw (used for 3 rounds at that) with brand new red GP tour wraps and stock stiff shafts for $325!! Granted, I had a little help from the retail manager since I used to work there; however, $325 is $325 no matter how the deal happens. I currently game AP2 710's with new iomic grips and project x shafts. I spent a lot of money on the 710s, but for the price and all the love the G15s are getting...I HAD to do it!!!!! I hope Christmas brings a nice bonus this year!
:man_in_love:

I'm going to play late this evening and can't wait to see my results!

Thanks for such a great thread fellow wrxers!

Titleist TSR2 9.0 with Graphite Design Tour AD-UB6S
[size=3]Titleist TSI2 13.5 degree with Graphite Design Tour AD-HD7S
Callaway Paradym Heavenwood
2023 TaylorMade P790 4-AW Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM9 54 and 60 w/Nippon Pro Modus 120x
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TaylorMade Spider X Navy

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1266028672' post='2247805']
^^^ can't wait to play a real round, but it might be a while. For sure will post a bit more during the summer in regards to how it's going. Ive always been a big supporter or forgiveness so this summer i'm putting my money where my mouth is, and seeing if it helps my game.
[/quote]
"This summer"?!? I thought all y'all were headed down here. (cool)

[quote name='ajs72287' timestamp='1283890122' post='2683782']
I just picked up a used set of G15's 4-pw (used for 3 rounds at that) with brand new red GP tour wraps and stock stiff shafts for $325!! Granted, I had a little help from the retail manager since I used to work there; however, $325 is $325 no matter how the deal happens. I currently game AP2 710's with new iomic grips and project x shafts. I spent a lot of money on the 710s, but for the price and all the love the G15s are getting...I HAD to do it!!!!! I hope Christmas brings a nice bonus this year!

[/quote]

let us know how it goes!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1283897796' post='2684035']
[quote name='ajs72287' timestamp='1283890122' post='2683782']

[/quote]

let us know how it goes!
[/quote]

Ok, have just put my titleist 735 cm's on ebay. G15 it is. Have taken the demo out a couple of times and definitely appreciate the extra forgivness. SS with 6 iron is about 85 or so. Standard stiff or extra stiff do we think. (2 hcap uk)

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1283908545' post='2684388']
Jeff you have played these most of the year. Would you say your swing has improved / stayed the same or gotten worse?

[/quote]

best answer is probably stayed the same. I've retooled it a bit to make it better but that had nothing to do with the clubs, just something i've meant to do for a while (making my swing flatter)

The clubs haven't hurt my ballstriking, my misses are mostly directional as oppose to distance, in fact distance control has been far superior to my older sets. Directionally, well the clubs can't correct all mistakes, if i come through too early or late i will still miss side to side.

I'm very happy this thread has stayed active, because even i didn't know how i'd feel when it was all said and done, but after 50+ rounds i can say with certainty that i'll never play players clubs again in the near future. I feel as though i've lost nothing but gained a lot. My statistics back it up. I mentioned earlier in the thread i think, that i play at a course with a 190yd par 3 over water, i have not been in the water once this year. Even without looking at my stats that's enough for me to know it's made a difference

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My experience has been pretty similar as the G15's have been nothing but positive for me this year. I've hit more greens, hit it closer to the hole and scored better this year than I have in about a decade. If anything, my swing has improved as I'm more confident and making more positive/aggressive moves at the ball.

Distance control has been the greatest benefit I've seen with these irons. I don't know if it is the added forgiveness or what but I never catch any surprises off the club face.

Not sure why I ever strayed from the GI type irons I had always played as a junior.

So have you improved on previous best scores and has your handicap come down?

Taylormade M1 440 - Tensei CK Pro Orange TX
Adams VST Hybrid (19) - GD AD-DI X
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 (4 wood) - GD AD-DI X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour (5-PW) KBS S-Taper S
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (4) KBS S-Taper S
Taylormade Milled Grind (52 & 58, SB) - Nippon Modus 130 S
Taylormade Spider Tour (red) / Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport
Titleist Pro V1
Feeling sad and neglected: Taylormade P750 (4-PW) / Srixon 765 (4-PW) - Nippon Modus 3 130 S

As a former Ping Eye lover (the original small cavity-back blade from around 1980, not the bigger Eye2) I find this thread fascinating. I switched back then from beautiful Spalding muscle-backs to the Pings and INSTANTLY became a Better Golfer. (I'd probably still be playing those sticks if they hadn't been stolen from the trunk of my car.)

Question is: we're talking about almost nothing but Ping I15's here but aren't there a NUMBER of Super Game Improvement clubs worthy of consideration.... or are Pings just That Much Better?

(I couldn't help notice in the "2010 Barclay's pics" link just how good-gosh BEAUTIFUL Cabrerra's [b]Ping S56[/b] set looked. Any chance we can call these Game Improvement Irons as well..... hint, hint. :lol:

[quote name='3wggle' timestamp='1283911927' post='2684523']

Not sure why I ever strayed from the GI type irons I had always played as a junior.
[/quote]

[quote name='BenSeattle' timestamp='1283973627' post='2685632']

(I couldn't help notice in the "2010 Barclay's pics" link just how good-gosh BEAUTIFUL Cabrerra's [b]Ping S56[/b] set looked. Any chance we can call these Game Improvement Irons as well..... hint, hint. :lol:
[/quote]

Let us call the S56:s and those somewhat more difficult irons: "pre round around the clubhouse self esteem"-improvement-irons!

PRACSEI-irons
:clapping:

[quote name='spooky' timestamp='1283961478' post='2685311']
So have you improved on previous best scores and has your handicap come down?
[/quote]

that is also tough to answer, my handicap has been mostly down, but not by much. However i didn't have a great summer in regards to short game (doesn't help that my course is in awful condition which makes getting up and down hard) and i had a month where i couldn't hit a fairway to save my life

when i've played some resort courses, or other private clubs, i have had some of my best rounds ever, so i'd say yes they have helped and my scores have improved

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm looking forward to getting my G15 3 iron in the next week or so.

I will evaluate it over the winter and decide what to go with next spring. GI irons have always led to my lowest scores, even though i love the look of blades, particularly my old Hogan 99 Apex.

Probably erring towards the Mizzy jpx 800 (non pro) 4-pw from what i have seen so far, but i will be measuring the heel - toe blade length against my old i3+ oversize irons and dont want the figures to be too different if i am to pull the trigger on them.
I have found my best scoring comes from long blade lengths rather than chunky soles as i can forget about my bade shot (a shank) and concentrate on playing the game rather than the swing. I dont mind the g15 as a 3 iron as it is more or less a semi hybrid with the large sole.
Dont know what wedges you are using OP but i find i score much better with the longer blade length wedges as the shank is much more prevelent in the half shots with the wedges in my game. Some of the tiny wedges being released these days make me chuckle, more so when you see some of the 10+ h'cappers trying to use them consistently.

Looking forward to 2011 and getting back into plus (uk) figures with the game improvers.

Great thread !! Same thing with me although i went with a different brand. Actually redid my whole bag since buying the new irons. I started out with Taylormade R540 irons that were given to me along with a steel shafted Wilson driver "very small head". The lowest i got to was high 90s low 100s. I picked up a set of Burner plus iron with 3 and 4 hybrid as a open box set for $250. Best move i made. Very workable as far as SGI irons go and just flat out work for my swing. Added an R9 driver and just scored a 87 at a new course i haven't played before. Im sold !!

I also made the move to the more forgiving AP1's. Was a blade player for 25+ years...... wow what a difference.
My handicap has gone from 6 to 4. My putting this year has been bad - I think because with these irons I am always hitting the green. Instead of having to chip close for a tap in par I am now putting for birdie's all day. I'm not use to having all these extra 20 footers for birdie but I will get used to it.:D

There is an interesting article in the new Golf Digest about SGI/GI irons vs blades and in one section they have a little graphic showing impact locations for various handicaps on a SGI iron then again on a blade. As expected impact location was more consistent as handicap went down but what I found interesting is it appeared to me that with all handicaps the impact area was much more compact with blade irons. What this means I really have no clue but I know personally I hit the sweet spot much more often with a more compact iron.

Cram it with walnuts!

[quote name='OzzDOA' timestamp='1283995822' post='2686331']
There is an interesting article in the new Golf Digest about SGI/GI irons vs blades and in one section they have a little graphic showing impact locations for various handicaps on a SGI iron then again on a blade. As expected impact location was more consistent as handicap went down but what I found interesting is it appeared to me that with all handicaps the impact area was much more compact with blade irons. What this means I really have no clue but I know personally I hit the sweet spot much more often with a more compact iron.
[/quote]

I found that was the case for me too. With my G10's I tend to hit them all over the face but with I10's or I15's I tend to hit the center more. Not sure if it's just because there's less overall area to hit so you're likely to hit the center or what.

OK so I have had my G15's for a couple of weeks now and I must say I'm really impressed. Played this summer with new 58/68's combo Mizuno's and when I'm swinging well they were a beautiful thing, but when I wasn't it was pretty ugly. I don't have the time to practice and with the G15's forgiveness I still can shoot a decent round. These do exactly what I hoped they would, make up for mis-hits. I liked the iron's so much, I demoed the woods and I ordered a new driver and am thinking about changing out to the fairway woods too.

[quote name='nicekindtrue' timestamp='1282857850' post='2663896']
Okay, now I can claim to be a convert too. The G15's are here!

I'm shooting high 70's, hoping to get lower with my new irons!

I went for the full GI experience, so I bought a set with graphite shafts.

Since I can't ship with GI wedges (NO I can't, really, I've tried, feel happy if you can!) I'll keep two Vokey wedges 50 8 & 58 8 in my bag, and use the G15 SW for "longer shorter shots" + fluffy bunkers, and use the Vokeys around green.
[/quote]

Nice misspelling above, :-). Ship instead of chip - nothing my simple spell checker would catch!

Anyways, I'm very happy with my TFC graphite G15:s. I've noticed that I miss (like not hitting a standard green) with the 5 iron about 35-20 % of the shots on the course. Left, right, short or a to low trajectory that won't hold the green. Since this really is an old-school 4 iron, that's nothing strange. So to complement my 4H 23 degree I've ordered a 27 degree 5H G15 hybrid. This makes my bag look even more like I'm 70+ years old, but I'll let my scores talk (below 70 I hope!). If Zach Johnson has a "4 headcover-bag", I probably should have 5 or 6 headcovers in mine. And that what I'll have now. Replacing the 6 iron with a 31 degrees hybrid probably would make sense, but there I've reach my current "ego-limit".

I must say that this game improvement is really fun! Now it's clearer and less deniable than ever that it's my chipping and putting that's holding me back - and some occasional bad teeshot. But 2 out of bounds drives should mean that I score +4 on 18 holes... I don't, and it's all about bad chips and 2-3 putts!

Summary: GI-clubs help the long game, and give time for and focus on what needs improvement - the shortgame!

[quote name='jabrch' timestamp='1282580866' post='2656736']
I don't care what anyone thinks about them - I love my Rapture V2s. I don't care if you don't like how big they are, how green they are, how fat they are, how expensive they are ....I don't care one bit. Since buying them in June, I have shaved 5 strokes off my handicap - and will continue to improve. Now I know it's the archer, not the arrow...but damn - if they archer is this comfortable, he will control the arrow better.

I have R7 XDs before - but I am playing worlds better with my Pings.
[/quote]

:clapping:

Whatever you can score best with! I going that route when I can scare up some money and sell my i5's.

Cobra Fly Z, Fubuki
Cobra Fly Z 3 wood
18 Cobra DWS
PING Rapture Hy 21
PING G series 5-pw
PING Glide 56
Odyssey Milled #9

My best golf buddy is a 5 hcp who never gets to practice and will go long stretches without playing b/c of work, family, etc. He recently switched from Ping Eye2s to Taylormade Burner Plus irons and his iron play has improved markedly. He was a decent ball striker with the Pings, but with the Taylormades he just doesn't ever seem to miss the middle of the clubface. Obviously, there are a few possible explanations, such as the shafts or lies being a better fit, but he attributes it to greater confidence with the TMs. And it is not the stronger lofts. He doesn't care about hitting an 8 instead of a 7, but, he has gained not one but two club lengths. Again, I think it is because he is swinging with such confidence where as he used to look like he was playing three quarter shots a lot of the time when there was no need. It won't surprise me if his hcp drops to a 2 or less. Bottom line: if it works for you, play it. Like one of the other posters said, if an all hybrid set works for you, do it. Life's too short. BTW, I play G15s with graphite shafts. Unfortunately, I fit the generally accepted profile of a SGI player -- 10 hcp and a terrible ball striker. I can mishit it so badly that nothing, and I mean nothing, could improve the result. In fact, I sometimes think good players may sometimes benefit more from SGIs than hackers like me.