my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1286983195' post='2741268']
Man, this thread (I've actually read through most of it) really has me thinking about some new sticks next year already and I just had a set built for me about a month ago!

Question for y'all though...how many of you lower handicap guys thought about getting the grind that shaves a bit off the back of the sole? If the chubbier sole would cause any problems (though it doesn't sound like it does) I would think this would rectify the problem.

I just saw some pics of someone on here with AP2 (I think they were 2's anyway) and they had a bit of the back edge of the sole taken off and they looked fantastic. Just some food for thought, so any responses would be appreciated.
[/quote]

It is all about what your preferences are.

I have seen many scratch or mini tour players playing game improvement irons over and over.
Even elite amature players need forgiving game from time to time.

I think sole grind is important but yet I have not run into a problem due to its sole.
I am digger and actually the sole help me to get the right distance most of time.

grinds on wedges are far more important to me.

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='nicekindtrue' timestamp='1286668250' post='2736183']
[quote name='Tero Partanen' timestamp='1284637814' post='2699708']

What finally made the difference was how consistent and EASY the G15 was to hit off grass. From the mat, on the previous test session I15 was a LOT easier (imo) to hit. It never dug into the mat (how could it lol), and produced consistent, straight and even highish ball flights when compared to my DI9 Wilson clubs.

I will report here how my iron and driver play goes after getting the clubs next week I hope. I am really excited about them :).

Tero
[/quote]

I'm suspecting that the problems I have with inconsistency with my G15 hybrids are due to how they interact with the mat at my driving range. The G15 irons slide through the plastic mats without problems.
[/quote]

After a range session I can conclude that I've got a serious problem with my G15:s. Can be that I can't handle the offset, these iron like hybrids, my swing or whatever. The 27 degree should replace a 5 iron but didn't go any further than my 6 iron - could be my low swing speed (I carry my driver 192 m / 210 y), but that made that club pretty useless. When I made contact the 23 degree flied in a unhybrid low trajectory, often hooks. To my eyes the G15 hybrids looks closed.

Anyway I also tested their replacement, a 24 degree G10 hybrid. I found this club perfect and it did everything I wanted, even from a range mat. I guess one could test the more woodlike I15 hybrids, but at least from what I hear marketingvice from Ping a G10 should be the easier club.

I would like to point out that I have no problem with the G15 irons, they don't seem closed, I hit them "perfect".

I just bought my FIRST set of SGI irons. I read this forum and have been listening to the G15 hype. I went with the original Ping Raptures partly because of the technology in the clubs (most technology in any Ping iron) and the current price. Looks wise, they rival the G15's at address and are priced extremely reasonably (right about $350-375 NEW) on ebay. Considering they were once $1199 retail that is a heck of a deal!

I hope I like them! Will hit them today!

Another scratch handicap convert here. I have played everything, and I mean everything, the last few years and always was looking for a little something extra with each new set. I have thought about going this route for awhile, but for one reason or another, I have always backed out.

Anyway, I picked up a used set if G15s (Black Dot, AWT Stiff) at the Superstore last Friday on a lark and took them out Saturday. These things are unreal. Two holes in and that was all she wrote. I hit a knockdown 8 on 1 to about 6 feet and a nice high cut 7 iron to a back pin on 2 to about 2 feet. The rest of the round went about the same. Aim at the flag and let it go. I did have one shot where I hit it on the bottom groove and was sure I would be short and right of the green, but the thing ended up 15 feet from the hole. High and straight, every time. Yes, they are ugly as can be, but the feel is really, really good and I don't have any playability issues at all. There really is no reason to play anything else.

My buddy (a national level amateur) was so mad for losing cash (and impressed by the g15), he immediately left the course and bought some Burner 2.0s. (He's a Taylor Made guy and doesn't like the looks of the Ping).

Being the ho I am, I'm sure I will try other irons, but I really like the g15. Has anybody compared these to the Scratch EZ-1? Those look pretty sweet.

4 handicap here. play my first round with the g15s with AWT X-stiff and shot +3 (75). i was sold after making birdie on #2. i can hit it anywhere on the face, it's great. i did what ever i wanted with the ball, high, low, draw, punch. it was fantastic.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

^^^ awesome

today i went 18-18 on greens for the first time in my life. Though it wasn't a "true" 18-18 as i was playing in a vegas, so wasn't always playing my drives. But still, that's something, especially since it was blowing at 30km/h

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• 1 month later...

I am a 6-7 handicap and have played all types of sets. I have recently (3 months) been playing Mizuno MX 300. I play at least twice a week so I have had quite a few rounds with these. I definately feel it has improved the consistency of my iron play. (hit 14 greens yesterday and shot 76). They are not SGI but are I believe are a great compromise for players who through preference or habit prefer a more traditional appearance at address.
The exception to that are the 3 and 4 irons where the milled cavity at at the back is clearly visable at address. The payoff is the long irons a stupid easy to hit. This is one of the most desirable aspects of playing this type of irons. i am loving hitting really good 3 irons again.
I get bored from time to time and love to put a sexy set of blades back in the bag; but there is no doubting that to produce better scores when the swing can be a bit up and down the mx 300's and others like it are the money.
Oh and did I metion the feel?
Very sweet and as soft and solid as Mizuno's better player irons.

Great thread!!!

I had been a struggling 5-6 handicap who played "players" clubs for the last several years. I was getting frustrated with my handicap not improving so at the start of 2010 I also decided to take the GI plunge. I put the TM 09 Burner 4-GW into play and shot my career round, 69, the 6th time I used them. I play with a lot of scratch and + players and I took some ribbing when they looked in the bag but I gotta say I'll never go back! I broke par 11 times this year and my handicap is now a 1. The difference was the GI irons, when I miss its not as bad and its usually always playable which is not something I could always say with my old irons. Fact is just hitting a green even if I have a 40 foot putt gives me a slight chance at birdie but a great chance at par. With my old irons I mssd so many greens everything depended on chipping.

In case anyone out there is wanting a G15, but is afraid of the sole, you can order them with a grind. I have my lob wedge ground down quite a bit, and it proves itself over and over.

Oh, and G15s are Game improvements, K15s are Supers. Just sayin'. :)

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Currently a 6.5 index, playing with i5's KBS Tour Stiff shafts. After about 6 months with these clubs, and losing distance due to the shaft, I took the plunge:

Just arrived today: G5's with AWT Stiff 4-PW! Got these from Discount Dan's for one heck of a deal. I know they aren't G15's, but couldn't justify paying for the latest model when the G5's were such a good price.

I'll update after a few rounds!

I am about to jump ship to the G15's and am scheduled for a Ping fitting in a few days. In the meantime I have been demoing and doing as much background as possible, as I am trying to get off the revolving club ho merry-go-round. I don't mind ( I actually enjoy) a little hoing and tinkering, but whole sets gets costly.....

Anyway, my research lead me to a friend who is scratch and works for a large retailer. He can play whatever he wants at a discount or for free. He has multiple sets of the finest clubs, but games G's. I asked him why and he said "No work, no concentration, and if I get lazy the G's don't overly penalize me. I can close my eyes and just go play"!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't have even thought about trying Ping G15s if it wasn't for this thread, as well as a regular playing partner. Just ordered Ping G10 after hitting the G15s at a local store. Currently play Cleveland TA3 Form Forged that have been in the bag since 2000, so a new set has been long overdue. I have tried other irons since, but non of them lasted very long, kept going back to the TA3s. After seeing the results of the G15s, I am pretty confident the G10s will stay in the bag, hopefully for at least another decade.

Side story: a regular playing partner of mine has the G5s. He plays to about a 2, I play to slightly better than 0. He consistently hits his tee shots on par 3s closer than I do despite hitting 1, sometimes 2 clubs more, so I thought: if he can do it I should be able to do it better :D . After following MTLJeff's epic love saga all year, I took the plunge and have become a convert to the SGI bag!

[quote name='Kdrager' timestamp='1292011318' post='2833981']
Wouldn't have even thought about trying Ping G15s if it wasn't for this thread, as well as a regular playing partner. Just ordered Ping G10 after hitting the G15s at a local store. Currently play Cleveland TA3 Form Forged that have been in the bag since 2000, so a new set has been long overdue. I have tried other irons since, but non of them lasted very long, kept going back to the TA3s. After seeing the results of the G15s, I am pretty confident the G10s will stay in the bag, hopefully for at least another decade.

Side story: a regular playing partner of mine has the G5s. He plays to about a 2, I play to slightly better than 0. He consistently hits his tee shots on par 3s closer than I do despite hitting 1, sometimes 2 clubs more, so I thought: if he can do it I should be able to do it better :D . After following MTLJeff's epic love saga all year, I took the plunge and have become a convert to the SGI bag!

[/quote]

Sweet! Hope they work out for you!

I still play mine. No thoughts of changing

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I am going to share what happened to me last yearwhen I tried this. I am a 3-4 handicap and always was a decent ball striker. Had some bad round here and there and of course blamed it on players clubs, you know. Well if I was using game improvement irons , they would help me on my bad days. I took the plunge, tried them out for a couple months. The honeymoon was awesome, shot some really low rounds. Clubs were stupid easy to hit and covered up my misses pretty well. Then reality struck. It really made my ball striking ability quite sloppy. I didn't care as much about sweet spotting it, couldn't feel the sweet spot anyways. Then scores starting going up, at the time I was a 6, and started shooting mid 80's. It was terrible. It started drifting into my driver, creating bad habits everywhere.

Went to get a lesson, proved what I thought was going on. Swing was sloppy mess. Teacher said practice with some more normal clubs, I did, and after 4 months, I got it back.

Lesson learned. I do believe we all need more help than a blade will give you, but gigantic cavities are only temporary bliss. Instead of g15's think something more like callaway diablos or r9's. In order to get to the level we are all trying to get, you must be able to feel the miss. Understand the bad swing and keep working on it. Bandaid's suck.

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

After reading all the posts regarding this iron, I decided to see for myself and test it out at my local golf warehouse. I currently play with forged blade cavity backs and hit my 6 iron around 175yds. My first impression of the G15 was that these irons look like a shovel at address. I was turned off right away but decided to give it a try on the launch monitor. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I used the stock 6 iron stiff and hit about ten balls dead center to slight draw with an average carry distance of 195-200yds with a smash factor of around 1.45!!! Are you kidding me??? I felt like Phil Mickelson. I asked the sales rep that was helping me if their computers were rigged so he ended up grabbing a Titleist AP2s for me to hit. Sure enough, I was back to carry distance of 170-175 with the AP2s. Wow!!! Maybe KJ Choi knows what's up by playing these irons. I'm conflicted at this moment because it does look like a shovel but the numbers are just too good to be true. Help!!!

i've had the G15 irons for a few months now, and i've got nothing bad to say about them. my swing is not any more or less sloppy after using them for a few months, and i still try to hit the center of the clubface, regardless of whether i'm gaming my G15s or X-Protos

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

[quote name='Cobragolf2010' timestamp='1292130716' post='2836398']
After reading all the posts regarding this iron, I decided to see for myself and test it out at my local golf warehouse. I currently play with forged blade cavity backs and hit my 6 iron around 175yds. My first impression of the G15 was that these irons look like a shovel at address. I was turned off right away but decided to give it a try on the launch monitor. Boy, was I in for a surprise. I used the stock 6 iron stiff and hit about ten balls dead center to slight draw with an average carry distance of 195-200yds with a smash factor of around 1.45!!! Are you kidding me??? I felt like Phil Mickelson. I asked the sales rep that was helping me if their computers were rigged so he ended up grabbing a Titleist AP2s for me to hit. Sure enough, I was back to carry distance of 170-175 with the AP2s. Wow!!! Maybe KJ Choi knows what's up by playing these irons. I'm conflicted at this moment because it does look like a shovel but the numbers are just too good to be true. Help!!!
[/quote]

Numbers are too good to be true, if you look at the lofts, you were hitting a 5 not a 6

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

Numbers are too good to be true, if you look at the lofts, you were hitting a 5 not a 6

I felt the same way when I first looked at the G15's -- HATED the topline and just couldn't get past that sole. But I was in the market for a GI iron, and I ended up getting fitted for I15's. I gotta tell you, the first thing different is that I went with green dot, slightly softer shaft (AWT soft-stepped stiff), then the guys convinced me that I didn't need graphite (at 56 y.o., my elbow were killing me on my TM tour stiffs), but put in some Cushin inserts instead. The past three months: my elbow pain has all but disappeared; my shots are more accurate and workable, without being too penalizing; my handicap is (finally) under 10. So I'm playing with a bud the other day,and he's got G5's in his bag. So we're standing on a Par three over marsh, small green, and I'm stressing about my 168-yd shot (the I15's will draw a little too much if I'm not careful).

So I asked him if I could play his 6-iron G5. Black dot.

Oh. My. Gawd. Easy. Straight as an arrow. 4 feet from the pin. Birdie. Over marsh. Smallish green. With a flippin' SGI, no less!

Oh, hell..... here we go again??? Can I swallow what little pride I have left (after going to a lower compression ball)?

Yeah, I think so.

sc

smilie_ping.gif

I bought a set of G5's based on this thread in the late summer. 5-SW, Z-Z65 stiff soft stepped, D2 SW (more for the wedges). A custom set for $400. Sweet.

The learning curve was steeper than I expected - I was easily a club or more shorter with these. It was the offset that was throwing me - I was constantly hitting the turf slightly before the ball. Once I adjusted appropriately things got better. I'm still a little shorter with these than my players cavity backs, but much straighter and consistent. My scoring has improved which is what it is all about.

The only thing that is still giving me fits are the wedges. I don't feel very precise with them - they just seem kind of bulky. I have been carrying the PW, UW, and SW (46, 50, 54) as well as a Vokey 58. This also feels like overkill- I used to carry PW, GW, SW (46 OEM, 52 and 58 Vokey's). I liked the traditional look of the Vokey's with little offset and the precision this offered.

So, I'm thinking of dumping the G5 50 and 54 and putting the Vokey 52 back in play. That still leaves the bulky PW, but maybe I should give it some more time.

I'm considering getting a Vokey 48* to replace the G5 PW. Maybe have it bent a * strong so the gaps aren't too far off. It will be as much mental as anything - when I have a Vokey in hand I know it is time for flag hunting...

How have you guys adjusted to the wedges when switching to GI irons?

[quote name='bifftaco' timestamp='1292168578' post='2836795']
I bought a set of G5's based on this thread in the late summer. 5-SW, Z-Z65 stiff soft stepped, D2 SW (more for the wedges). A custom set for $400. Sweet.

The learning curve was steeper than I expected - I was easily a club or more shorter with these. It was the offset that was throwing me - I was constantly hitting the turf slightly before the ball. Once I adjusted appropriately things got better. I'm still a little shorter with these than my players cavity backs, but much straighter and consistent. My scoring has improved which is what it is all about.

The only thing that is still giving me fits are the wedges. I don't feel very precise with them - they just seem kind of bulky. I have been carrying the PW, UW, and SW (46, 50, 54) as well as a Vokey 58. This also feels like overkill- I used to carry PW, GW, SW (46 OEM, 52 and 58 Vokey's). I liked the traditional look of the Vokey's with little offset and the precision this offered.

So, I'm thinking of dumping the G5 50 and 54 and putting the Vokey 52 back in play. That still leaves the bulky PW, but maybe I should give it some more time.

I'm considering getting a Vokey 48* to replace the G5 PW. Maybe have it bent a * strong so the gaps aren't too far off. It will be as much mental as anything - when I have a Vokey in hand I know it is time for flag hunting...

How have you guys adjusted to the wedges when switching to GI irons?
[/quote]

That's the one thing that keeps me in the I15's - the progressive offset. I Also play a Vokey 54 and 58 and keep my PW, Gap, and the two Vokeys in the bag. As a sacrifice, I do not carry a 4-iron (for some reason I rarely if ever need it). But lately, I have been using a CG14 54 with a little less bounce at 12*, and I LOVE it. Seems to have a very similar forgiveness factor to my I15's. Although my Vokey's remain pretty deadly, I also like the GI factor/feel on the CG14's and may switch if I come across a giveaway deal (like the one I missed on here last weekend....ugh). BTW, my Vokey's are lengthened to match the length of my gap. No big deal on the additional swing weight.

s

Multiple range sessions and a few rounds under my belt with the G15's. I am a believer and I will finally get off the Iron Ho Train.... I can cut them, draw them, punch them when needed, but mostly they just go straight. High ball flight, but not ballooned. Yardages are slightly longer then my other sets and I think the offset is helping my toe miss.

The first round I played with them was cut short due to darkness, but I went even on the front nine and did not miss a green. Then went 1 over for 4 holes on the back before it was pitch black.

Second round was a 75 with a mixed bag of birdies and bogeys and only 3 missed greens.

Third round was the round I had been waiting for. The dreaded bad ball striking day. I would say my misses are at least 50% better with these. A little fat does not kill your yardage near as much as you would think and my dispersion is way better. A few bad swings on approaches that I thought would be dead left ended up just a little left and made for easy pitches.

The only thing that did not work for me was the matching sand wedge. It is money for full swings, but I could not get used to it around the greens. I have played traditional wedges for years and am comfortable with them, the sole on the S wedge does not work for me and what I want to do. I added a 54 Ping Tour wedge and it brought my set up right where I want it. It was also a perfect match the 58 I was already using.

Good swings are good no matter what type of club you are swinging, but misses or bad swings are either magnified, punished, or forgiven due to what type of club you chose. I am now appreciating my good swings and being forgiven for bad ones.....

I am currently a 5 index that has been trending to a 7 and poor middle iron play has been a big part of the up trend. These seem to be the right track for me as of now.

PS: The 4 iron is just stupid fun to hit, it is like having a compact hybrid in the bag!!!!!!

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1266022354' post='2247536'] I felt like a pro on the range today...
[/quote]

Playing devils advocate but...

Considering you are already almost scratch player how would it have been THAT much different than the clubs that got you there? I could see if you were an 80's player using blades and the new SGI's had you feeling like a pro as that is a large enough spread.  But almost scratch already and (besides maybe some new found confidence)  head shape or form factor doesn't much matter. It could just be the swing weight, length, lies or combination of three fit you better.

Taylormade R11 9° Diamana™ S 62
Sub 70 639-CB 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Wilson FG PMP wedges 52° & 56°, DG S400

Star Sidewinder Black grips - standard + 2 wraps
Tommy Armour Impact #3 Putter 34"
Callaway Chrome Soft golf balls

[quote name='longbal30' timestamp='1292023970' post='2834416']
I am going to share what happened to me last yearwhen I tried this. I am a 3-4 handicap and always was a decent ball striker. Had some bad round here and there and of course blamed it on players clubs, you know. Well if I was using game improvement irons , they would help me on my bad days. I took the plunge, tried them out for a couple months. The honeymoon was awesome, shot some really low rounds. Clubs were stupid easy to hit and covered up my misses pretty well. Then reality struck. It really made my ball striking ability quite sloppy. I didn't care as much about sweet spotting it, couldn't feel the sweet spot anyways. Then scores starting going up, at the time I was a 6, and started shooting mid 80's. It was terrible. It started drifting into my driver, creating bad habits everywhere.

Went to get a lesson, proved what I thought was going on. Swing was sloppy mess. Teacher said practice with some more normal clubs, I did, and after 4 months, I got it back.

Lesson learned. I do believe we all need more help than a blade will give you, but gigantic cavities are only temporary bliss. Instead of g15's think something more like callaway diablos or r9's. In order to get to the level we are all trying to get, you must be able to feel the miss. Understand the bad swing and keep working on it. Bandaid's suck.
[/quote]
+1

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...

So...i started this thread around this time of the year in 2010. And i'll see if i can add something to it in 2011

I had the best ballstriking season i've ever had last year. Of course this could also be because i've only been playing 6 years and i'm just naturally improving. Currently i feel like my swing is better than it's ever been too (i finally flattened it a bit and improved my tempo, which was a bit inconsistent for a while)

Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

Anyway, all this to say i just bought a set of S59's today for a really great deal. Getting X shafts in them as we speak, and will alternate rounds and range sessions with my G15's to really get a true comparison....will report back in a little while!

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1297019701' post='2956054']
So...i started this thread around this time of the year in 2010. And i'll see if i can add something to it in 2011

I had the best ballstriking season i've ever had last year. Of course this could also be because i've only been playing 6 years and i'm just naturally improving. Currently i feel like my swing is better than it's ever been too (i finally flattened it a bit and improved my tempo, which was a bit inconsistent for a while)

Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

Anyway, all this to say i just bought a set of S59's today for a really great deal. Getting X shafts in them as we speak, and will alternate rounds and range sessions with my G15's to really get a true comparison....will report back in a little while!
[/quote]

Looking forward to hearing your results and comparisons with the s59's.

I know that GI irons obviously help when your swing is not "on", but I wonder how much GI a person needs. Maybe if someone is a 90's shooter, they would need a G series or something comparable, like a hybrid set. But if someone is a low 80's player, they might only need the forgiveness of somethink like the i5, r7, or x20 as a GI set...because even though this player will have misses, they wouldn't be as drastic as a higher handicap player. Charles Howell III is playing JPX800 pro's...to someone like him, those are probably pleanty of GI...for someone else, probably not.

I will be comparing GI's to blades in the next weeks. In one corner I have my trusty MP68's now fitted with some Matrix Ozik Program 130 HD shafts, in the other corner are a set of CG7 black pearls (non tour) with a set of S300's. Winner takes all.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I say if it's good enough for the pros its more than good enough for me. Funny story though, I had the best round all last year with blades, but still went back to my Maltby MTF cavities. I don't see any reason to make the game harder on myself. I'd like to find a GI club that's designed with a higher CG to keep the ball down, but I guess that's not even close to a majority issue so I'm screwed on that one.

[quote]Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

[/quote] I bought a set of G15's a month ago after doing a fitting ( and lots of reading in this thread) and I am loving it! 8 hcp and long time user of R7TP's. This "honeymoon" has been awesome so far. Thanks for starting this thread, helped me get over the fact I'm using "shovels" - who cares when you hit this many greens! Look forward to your comparison.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

[quote name='OspreyCI' timestamp='1297084271' post='2957452']
[quote]Some people have commented in this thread that SGI's would only be a temporary high. Well, i feel that as well as i'm hitting it, if there ever was a time to throw in some "players" clubs for a true comparison of REAL golf now would be the time.

[/quote] I bought a set of G15's a month ago after doing a fitting ( and lots of reading in this thread) and I am loving it! 8 hcp and long time user of R7TP's. This "honeymoon" has been awesome so far. Thanks for starting this thread, helped me get over the fact I'm using "shovels" - who cares when you hit this many greens! Look forward to your comparison.
[/quote]

How have your scores changed since going to the g15's? Have your handicap come down to an 8, or did you start at an 8 and go lower? I am about the same level, (currently a 6), and wondering if it would be a good move.

I have been lazy about my hcp in the last six months, but started at an 8. But....my scores have dropped by several strokes. Last two rounds were 72, 74. I know think I have my greatest chance to shoot a 60 something number. I am hitting several more greens BECAUSE of thse irons.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick