2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

I have tried this route 3 or 4 times in the past few years. With G15s, Burner 1 and 2, and most lately, with Adams CB2. Unlike many who have posted here, it just does not seem to work for me, for the following reasons:
[list][*]distance - yes there is the wonderful feeling of hitting your irons really long, but they can be real long or just average, on successive swings[*]tight lies/hard fairways - these blunt edge irons are harder to hit for sweepers[*]offset - makes me tend to pull the ball right (as a lefty)[*]not a fix for what ails me - my misses are largely due to inconsistent swings. A terrible swing produces a terrible result with any club.[/list]
Perhaps I have just not remained with any of these long enough. however, last sunday I had my best ball striking round of the year (Caledonia in Myrtle Beach) hitting 14 greens in reg - in a row! These using Nike Pro Combos. Go figure...

So I set up a demo sessions at my club this week and it was very obvious to me and the club fitter what the winner was. The g15 no doubt.

I tried the i15, ap2 , tm (the new ones not the full blade the ones in between) and the burner 2.0.

Ball flight was very similar with all the irons. G15 was a little higher but they didn't stock the x100 shafts in left handed which should bring the flight down a little.

Best feeling iron was prob the ap2.
Best distance by a lot was the burner 2.0
Best accuracy by far g15
Best turf interaction g15
Most forgiving g15

So it was a very easy decision on which iron to pick considering I need consistency and more GIR. I got the g15's. I went with the 4-pw. I have a gap wedge which I really like that I will use to fill the gap between my pw and my 54* wedge. I play an mp fli hi 3 iron bent to 19* but well see how much I like the g15 as I might want the 3 iron and or the gw.

The g15 irons were great. I loved the feel. I usually fight a hard draw on my misses and just didn't have that problem at all. I was hitting balls to the same spot over and over again. No ballooning at all. Pretty good distance. 7 iron was about 175 yards.

Turns out my specs are almost exactly what pings nflight online fitting suggested.
Maroon dot
Yellow grip
+0.5 length
X100 shafts

Pretty excited to get theses in the next 2 weeks.

By the way just wanted to mention this but the burner 2.0 irons are ridiculous. They are so long its stupid. I was hitting a 7 iron near 200 yards without murdering it. I don't know what they did but jeez. I just didn't like the turf interaction or the consistency and forgiveness. And really I would need 5 wedges with the irons.

Thanks for sharing goliath23.

I stopped by Golfsmith after work today and took some swings with the G15's. Awesome.

Ping is actually having a fitting event at Golfsmith next week. Plan to stop by and get fit.

I only hope that they have something better than the Ping cart. I hope they bring a better selection of G15 irons with different shafts.

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1304611497' post='3210145']
Still liking my G15s, but my rounds are getting a little worse as time goes on. I may pick up another set of MP68s to play with every 5 rounds or so. Seems my best rounds with the G15s came when I first got them coming off my MP68s. So there might be something to that "blades hone your swing" argument......
[/quote]

Scratch that lol. 39/38 yesterday! Now on BAD days I am shooting my handicap in the mid 80's instead of averaging. I think my average has come down a few points although I don't keep an official handicap. These sticks just WORK. May still do the blade thing on the side though...

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1304945895' post='3218491']
Still liking my G15s, but my rounds are getting a little worse as time goes on. I may pick up another set of MP68s to play with every 5 rounds or so. Seems my best rounds with the G15s came when I first got them coming off my MP68s. So there might be something to that "blades hone your swing" argument......
[/quote]

Scratch that lol. 39/38 yesterday! Now on BAD days I am shooting my handicap in the mid 80's instead of averaging. I think my average has come down a few points although I don't keep an official handicap. These sticks just WORK. May still do the blade thing on the side though...
[/quote]

LOL. nice round shortgame.

Hope to have my G15's soon.

Question, where did you order your irons from? Is Ping able to softstep the shafts or was this a 3rd party installer?

My swingspeed is about 94-98mph. 6 iron 80mph. I tend to have a quick aggressive transition so I think the low torque Z-Z65 will be a good match.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1304946698' post='3218511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Question, where did you order your irons from? Is Ping able to softstep the shafts or was this a 3rd party installer?

My swingspeed is about 94-98mph. 6 iron 80mph. I tend to have a quick aggressive transition so I think the low torque Z-Z65 will be a good match.
[/quote]

I ordered though Discount Dan's and they were shipped directly from Ping. They softstep them from the factory no problem. I have a similar swingspeed and tried the G15s with KBS reg and AWT reg and both ballooned. The fitter suggested a light stiff shaft and I know the ZZ65s are fairly stiff so I softstepped them once. Great great sticks w/ this shaft!

[quote name='shortgamehero' timestamp='1304947043' post='3218519']
[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1304946698' post='3218511']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I ordered though Discount Dan's and they were shipped directly from Ping. They softstep them from the factory no problem. I have a similar swingspeed and tried the G15s with KBS reg and AWT reg and both ballooned. The fitter suggested a light stiff shaft and I know the ZZ65s are fairly stiff so I softstepped them once. Great great sticks w/ this shaft!
[/quote]

I also ordered my g15's through Discount Dan's. I went with 4-U in KBS stiff, blue dot...arrived in about a week directly from PING. I think the g15 irons with the right shaft can be a great set for just about anyone.

I'dl like to thank the person who suggested Discount Dan's to me, and I wish I could find the post.
I ordered a G15 4-iron last week ... replacing an i3 4-iron and I'm buying new irons next year. I figured the G15 would be easier to hit.
Anyway, worked out even BETTER than I hoped! I am seriously considering buying the set next Spring!

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1305422335' post='3234424']
Discount Dans is the best. I just placed an order for G15's 4-UW Z-Z65 softstepped, green dot, +1/2 inch.

cant't wait.
[/quote]

+1 on Discount Dans. I ordered G10XGs from them last Monday, with ZZ65 shafts, soft stepped, yellow/blue dot and Gold 703 grips. Order placed Monday afternoon, clubs in my hands on Friday. That's what I call great service.

On another note, I'd like some input on G series wedges for the short game. I switched to the G10XGs because I want something easy to hit. Back in the day I played Eye2+ irons 3 through LW and loved the wedges. I felt more confident to go after flags with full swings, and they really hid smaller mistakes with shorter shots.

For those playing G series wedges, how do you like them? Do you feel like you give up any feel/touch? Did you get a Custom grind to help with bounce, etc.?

Any feedback will be well appreciated.

Cobra F6 10.5* Stock Red Tie S
Cobra F6 16* Stock Red Tie S
PING Eye 2+ 4-LW JZ S Green Dot
PING Anser 50th Anniversary

[quote name='Beckman4' timestamp='1305635281' post='3240672']
[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1305422335' post='3234424']
Discount Dans is the best. I just placed an order for G15's 4-UW Z-Z65 softstepped, green dot, +1/2 inch.

cant't wait.
[/quote]

+1 on Discount Dans. I ordered G10XGs from them last Monday, with ZZ65 shafts, soft stepped, yellow/blue dot and Gold 703 grips. Order placed Monday afternoon, clubs in my hands on Friday. That's what I call great service.

On another note, I'd like some input on G series wedges for the short game. I switched to the G10XGs because I want something easy to hit. Back in the day I played Eye2+ irons 3 through LW and loved the wedges. I felt more confident to go after flags with full swings, and they really hid smaller mistakes with shorter shots.

For those playing G series wedges, how do you like them? Do you feel like you give up any feel/touch? Did you get a Custom grind to help with bounce, etc.?

Any feedback will be well appreciated.
[/quote]

I have played G10s (4-LW) and currently have G15s (4-LW). I have no issues whatesoever with the wedges. I do think it depends of the course conditions though. Not alot of hardpan around here.

At the players this weekend, CHOI won using his new MIURA's.
That's a big change from G15's....
Why do you think he changed from the g15's?

Thoughts??

I am a low HCP playing Miura Blades and can not see myself playing these shovels... I must say after reading this thread I am very intrigued and would love the forgiveness.
Someone here said it best, "having a not so good day with blades, and everyone is double pressing me"....

Thanks

[quote name='voip_man' timestamp='1305641941' post='3240949']

Thoughts??

I am a low HCP playing Miura Blades and can not see myself playing these shovels... I must say after reading this thread I am very intrigued and would love the forgiveness.
Someone here said it best, "having a not so good day with blades, and everyone is double pressing me"....

Thanks
[/quote]

He wanted a bit more workability is what I read somewhere.

It's the same story as always. If you want workability, you go blades, if not you go GI.

Thoughts??

Thanks
[/quote]

Keep in mind, KJ Choi has gone through 10 sets of irons and 25 drivers.

Link to Golf WRX article: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/475979-kj-choi-10-sets-of-iron-25-drivers-later/

Could always go with a mixed set, G15 / I15.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1305645432' post='3241114']

Thoughts??

Thanks
[/quote]

Keep in mind, KJ Choi has gone through 10 sets of irons and 25 drivers.

Link to Golf WRX article: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/475979-kj-choi-10-sets-of-iron-25-drivers-later/

Could always go with a mixed set, G15 / I15.
[/quote]
Also what KJ nor other Touring Pro plays has absolutely nothing to do with us. I had read for awhile how guys pointed to KJ and other using G15s ( which I might try myself ,owned G10s when they came out and probably owned 10 different sets of players CBs since) which I guess is nice and validates the irons to some but they play a different game. I guess a case can be made that if THEY play them maybe WE might consider them which does have validaty.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1266022354' post='2247536']
Hi All

There are a lot of threads about higher handicaps playing blades (and that's fine, not trying to start anything), lower handicaps playing blades, and higher handicaps playing SGI's. But there really aren't that many threads about low cappers [i]really [/i]trying out SGI's. In 2010 i have decided to take the SGI challenge.

I picked up my G15's recently and have been to the range a couple of times since then. I am a low single digit/scratch player and have played MP32's, I5's and I10's as my last 3 sets, so forgiveness is not new to me, but i was thinking it was time to get nuts and go overboard on that front with full blown SGI's. Let me tell you that i haven't been this excited about golf in a long time, my first 2 range sessions with these clubs have been arguably my best sessions ever. I hit laser after laser with my 4-8 iron (my 9 and PW are I15's which are also great) and probably didn't hit a single shot that would've put me in any trouble. Hitting in my 150yd dome, i'm pretty sure at one point i hit the same exact ball mark on the wall with 3 consecutive 7 irons. I was downright giddy

A couple of immediate observations

1) the mats at my dome are horrible for steep swinging divot takers (which i am) and still the wide soles had no problem going through them...very encouraging
2) I hit knowckdowns with the same accuracy and height as my I10's ...also very encouraging
3) I had no problem hitting a draw...checkmate SGI's, checkmate...as far as fades go i can't really do that anyway so whatever

I'll try and update people as i get more time with them, if you're interested. But my god, where has this idea been my whole life! I felt like a pro on the range today...
[/quote]
Are you still playing the G15s?

So I got my g15 irons today but it didnt go as planned.
I don't know who messed up but I got the wrong shafts and the wrong lie angle.

I got the awt in x flex but I was suppose to get the x100
I got silver dot but I was suppose to get maroon dot.

I hope it doesn't take long to get replacements.

I am wondering what the difference would be with the awt shaft as opposed to the x100. I didn't get to test the x100 as it wasn't on the fitting cart for left handers. The awt felt nice but I am wondering if the x100 would launch much lower?

If it takes long to get replacements I might just take the clubs as is. I am pretty impatient.

[quote name='hardten' timestamp='1305647341' post='3241202']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1266022354' post='2247536']
Hi All

There are a lot of threads about higher handicaps playing blades (and that's fine, not trying to start anything), lower handicaps playing blades, and higher handicaps playing SGI's. But there really aren't that many threads about low cappers [i]really [/i]trying out SGI's. In 2010 i have decided to take the SGI challenge.

I picked up my G15's recently and have been to the range a couple of times since then. I am a low single digit/scratch player and have played MP32's, I5's and I10's as my last 3 sets, so forgiveness is not new to me, but i was thinking it was time to get nuts and go overboard on that front with full blown SGI's. Let me tell you that i haven't been this excited about golf in a long time, my first 2 range sessions with these clubs have been arguably my best sessions ever. I hit laser after laser with my 4-8 iron (my 9 and PW are I15's which are also great) and probably didn't hit a single shot that would've put me in any trouble. Hitting in my 150yd dome, i'm pretty sure at one point i hit the same exact ball mark on the wall with 3 consecutive 7 irons. I was downright giddy

A couple of immediate observations

1) the mats at my dome are horrible for steep swinging divot takers (which i am) and still the wide soles had no problem going through them...very encouraging
2) I hit knowckdowns with the same accuracy and height as my I10's ...also very encouraging
3) I had no problem hitting a draw...checkmate SGI's, checkmate...as far as fades go i can't really do that anyway so whatever

I'll try and update people as i get more time with them, if you're interested. But my god, where has this idea been my whole life! I felt like a pro on the range today...
[/quote]
Are you still playing the G15s?
[/quote]

hey man, yes i am. Very happy to be still playing them

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1305763310' post='3245546']
AWT in an X flex is a X100 shaft.

The lie is a differnt story, maybe 1 degree off?
[/quote]
I looked in to this quickly and haven't found anything anywhere that says they are the same.

Anybody know if this is true? If they are different what can I expect in terms of ball flight?

If they are similar I will prob just suck it up even if the lie angle is slightly off. I was hitting silver dot great in the fitting so not really worried about that.

I dont think they are x100's either but I still might keep them. I didn't hit the x100's but I did hit the x flex awt and they were good. Not to high ball flight even for me and I hit a fairly high ball. My shot dispersion was great.

I think I will keep them. I just don't wanna wait for ping to send me new one and to top it off I have a little incentive. I got a discount on the price for my iron set.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1305763310' post='3245546']
AWT in an X flex is a X100 shaft.

The lie is a differnt story, maybe 1 degree off?
[/quote]

eh?

AWT X flex is not the same as dynamic gold X100

i have the AWT X in my G15s and it's a nice shaft. i find the launch to be good and i can still flight the ball high or low without any problems

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

Well I don't have to worry about the awt shaft anymore. I tried to call my pro shop this morning to tell them I wanted to keep the irons then I went to my golf club to golf thinking it would be my first day with the new irons but had a bad surprise.
My irons were already sent back to ping so now I have to wait till next week to get my new clubs. Yesterdays set had 4 to uw but I decided on 4 to pw. I have a 52* club that I love and its not as clunky and I hit it great so I will stick with this. Only problem is that I was charged for awt shafts which are obviously cheaper so I lose 1 club and still pay the same thing. Oh well. Now the waiting game begins again. I can see why so many people buy off the shelf. Hate waiting.

[quote name='scotte' timestamp='1305777450' post='3246196']
seriously, don't you find yourself hitting behind the ball with the croooked sticks? all that offset is just nuts. I would play sgi's if they didn't have so much offset.
[/quote]

i actually like offset, the way i grip the club for some reason offset clubs seem to line up better for me. I don't find ballflight to be all that different though when comparing the SGI's to my previous I10's. Ballflight a bit higher. But not too crazy

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I think many people would be surprised of the ball flight if they tested these clubs outside. I have a 115 to 120 mph driver swing speed and my irons are pretty long. 7 iron is 175 ish. I am not a small guy at 6 ft 3 , 285. When I tested these I was expecting them to be super high but I tested almost every new iron made. Ap2, new tm blade, i15, s56 and god know what else. The ball flight was very similar with all of them. It made the dicision so easy.

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1305850198' post='3248236']
[quote name='scotte' timestamp='1305777450' post='3246196']
seriously, don't you find yourself hitting behind the ball with the croooked sticks? all that offset is just nuts. I would play sgi's if they didn't have so much offset.
[/quote]

i actually like offset, the way i grip the club for some reason offset clubs seem to line up better for me. I don't find ballflight to be all that different though when comparing the SGI's to my previous I10's. Ballflight a bit higher. But not too crazy
[/quote]

To be quite honest, I hit the ball lower with the G15's with DGS300 shafts than I do with the JPX-800 pros with DGS300's I play now. My only rationale for this is I hit the JPX Pros higher on the face (on average) due to the sole design.