2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Course Rates in your area...

What have they done in the 12 months...
I belong to Oakland University golf course in Michigan, and I just learned yesterday that they plan on raising the rates for guests yet again another year in 2011, which IMO, is absolute insanity. I don't know WHAT they are thinking. Michigan is decimated by the economy, round numbers are clearly down. Used to require a tee time to play Saturday mornings, now I can go there at 9am and walk right on. They need to take an Econ 101 class. Here's a hint boys: 12 rounds at $60 > 0 rounds at $90.

None of my buddies want to play the course anymore because guest fees are $85 with cart (and I don't blame them!), and next year they will be $90. In fact, this time of year I rarely play since I pay less at a public course with a cart than walking.

So I'm just wondering, what have your rates in general done, for both private and public clubs that you play?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropped dramatically here in Vegas. The average round for me is $40 with cart whereas 2-3 years ago it was $70. I haven't paid more than $85 in a long time even for the top public courses here in the Vegas area. Just about every course has had to come up with ways to book more rounds and I've taken advantage of a lot of them.

Last year was one of the best years for me in terms of what I paid to play. I played some very good golf courses for great rates during the peak season. Even when I played Troon North for $125 that was about 50-75 bucks less than what it had been in the past for residents.

A lot of the private clubs here are having tough times so you are seeing some good deals for new members, unfortunatley all the ones in my area of Scottsdale are doing just fine and still super expensive.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I got on with what they call a player development program at a descent course call Windrose GC here in Houston. Its a $40 monthly "membership" if you will. I get unlimited range which in itself is worth it since I would spend that a month at the range anyway. Rounds any day after 2:00 for $20 and $12 after 4:00. During daylight savings I can get there just after 4:00 and play until it gets dark around 8:30. I think its like $30 before 2:00 but I have never played before then. They also have a pro that gives daily clinics that you get for free with this deal (never attended but I have listened in from afar). So I call this my home course but basically I use it as a practice spot. I can practice and play there all I want for basically nothing monthly. Saturday and sunday is when I will go play other courses around Houston. Im finding the green fees run anywhere from $40-$80 at the places we play. I cant really tell how prices are fluctuating though. We normally bring at least 30 guys in our group so we always get discounted fees.

[quote name='swbyps' timestamp='1287703383' post='2753345']
I got on with what they call a player development program at a descent course call Windrose GC here in Houston. Its a $40 monthly "membership" if you will. I get unlimited range which in itself is worth it since I would spend that a month at the range anyway. Rounds any day after 2:00 for $20 and $12 after 4:00. During daylight savings I can get there just after 4:00 and play until it gets dark around 8:30. I think its like $30 before 2:00 but I have never played before then. They also have a pro that gives daily clinics that you get for free with this deal (never attended but I have listened in from afar). So I call this my home course but basically I use it as a practice spot. I can practice and play there all I want for basically nothing monthly. Saturday and sunday is when I will go play other courses around Houston. Im finding the green fees run anywhere from $40-$80 at the places we play. I cant really tell how prices are fluctuating though. We normally bring at least 30 guys in our group so we always get discounted fees.
[/quote]

Walk on rates in Raleigh are 50-62 at normal type of semi private courses. These same courses run coupons all year round, rates are 35-50 depending on the time of day. Two years ago reduce rates were strictly after 3 or 4. Now, you can get the twilight rate at 11 or noon!

On average, I probably play close to 30 courses each year just in the Greater Houston area. In our area, the walk-in rates have remained pretty much the same. However, if you have signed up online with some of the courses or know where to look for coupons or deals (mostly online), you can get some pretty good discounted rates. The higher end daily fee courses have been able to hold the line on their rates and they continue to get a decent amount of play and their courses seem to always remain in good condition. Unfortunately, a lot of courses here are suffereing the economy woes. If you are willing to drive a little farther (not sure you save money overall), you can play some courses that have good layouts but conditioning has slipped quite a bit for under $20 (including cart) again by using coupons that can be found with very little effort.

Here in Utah rates have stayed pretty much steady over the past 12 months, at least as far as public courses go. My home course is actually raising green fees starting in 2011 though...from $25 to $26!! Ha!

Most guys on here would flip to see how affordable golf is in Utah compared to almost anywhere else in the country...in northern Utah almost without exception you're not going to pay more than $30 to walk or $45 to ride, and even that is definitely on the high end of rates. I walk, and it's rare for me to pay more than $25. In fact, my home course sells punch cards to residents...$90 for five rounds. $18 per round.

There was a time when I figured if I ever had to pay to play I'd go nuts...but thankfully living here it's not too awful. If I was paying $75+ per round it'd get tough for me to justify it.

[/quote]
The 2 courses I play at the most in the Houston area (actually in Baytown, but many consider anything within 50 miles the "Houston Area") have actually gone up a touch. It's only been a few dollars, but still, an increase. I play most of my golf at Evergreen Point in Baytown, because I have a membership there. It is $900/year, and I play any time for $15, range balls are 1/2 off, and a 15% discount on all pro-shop merchandise. It also includes a USGA index. Based on their weekend rate of $49, by the time I pay my monthly dues and play 2 rounds, it cost me around $100, which is the same as 2 weekend rounds at their rate. Any additional rounds only cost me $15. I know the membership prices have been the same for several years, because I looked into one a few years ago and didn't take the plunge until earlier this year. For someone who plays there as much as I do (when I'm not working 7 days a week), it is a good deal, so I don' spend a lot of money playing other courses anymore, and haven't in the last year.

I got on with what they call a player development program at a descent course call Windrose GC here in Houston. [b]Its a $40 monthly "membership" if you will. I get unlimited range which in itself is worth it since I would spend that a month at the range anyway.[/b] Rounds any day after 2:00 for $20 and $12 after 4:00. During daylight savings I can get there just after 4:00 and play until it gets dark around 8:30. I think its like $30 before 2:00 but I have never played before then. They also have a pro that gives daily clinics that you get for free with this deal (never attended but I have listened in from afar). So I call this my home course but basically I use it as a practice spot. I can practice and play there all I want for basically nothing monthly. Saturday and sunday is when I will go play other courses around Houston. Im finding the green fees run anywhere from $40-$80 at the places we play. I cant really tell how prices are fluctuating though. We normally bring at least 30 guys in our group so we always get discounted fees.
[/quote]

That's unreal, $40 is 5 buckets at my range and I go through that in a week, plus you get all the other benefits.

As it pertains to the topic, my local course rate went up a little. I think it was in the mid to high $20's for 18, $17 for 9. Now its $30 for 18 and $19 for 9. I believe the twilight rates have remained the same.

Nashville ranges from $75-$30 mostly in the 30's. It has gone up maybe a dollar or two.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='turbo4door' timestamp='1287763665' post='2754249']
Prices here are about the same as they have been over the past 2 years or so. Local muni is 30 (and its in great shape actually). Higher-end public courses are around 40, private I can't really guess.
These are all peak times, less if you play later (10 to walk the muni after 5)
[/quote]

What city?

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g 
3wd: Srixon F65 10.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70g 
3h & 4h Srixon Z-U85 20° & 23° Recoil 95 F4
Irons: Titleist 620CB 5-pwTT AMT Tour White S300 
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50° 56° 60° KBS TT AMT Tour White S400, bent to 51° 55° 59°
Putter: Ping Redwood Anser 34" w/Element 29 from Putter Lounge & Carbon Ringo w/Misted Stainless Steel 
Grip: Lamkin UTx
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
Bag: Srixon Z Stand
Shoes: 6 adidas 2 Puma (diva golfer)

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1287701291' post='2753308']
I belong to c in Michigan, and I just learned yesterday that they plan on raising the rates for guests yet again another year in 2011, which IMO, is absolute insanity. I don't know WHAT they are thinking. Michigan is decimated by the economy, round numbers are clearly down. Used to require a tee time to play Saturday mornings, now I can go there at 9am and walk right on. They need to take an Econ 101 class. Here's a hint boys: 12 rounds at $60 > 0 rounds at $90.

None of my buddies want to play the course anymore because guest fees are $85 with cart (and I don't blame them!), and next year they will be $90. In fact, this time of year I rarely play since I pay less at a public course with a cart than walking.

So I'm just wondering, what have your rates in general done, for both private and public clubs that you play?
[/quote]

I sympathize with what your talking about. Its happening some what in AZ and CA too; two other places I frequent. However, I still see more good courses, including private clubs lowering their guest rates vs. raising them. You can always tell when a simple minded poorly skilled person(s) oversees pricing or rates for a business - knee "jerk" reaction is raise rates, ignoring the big picture. Sad part when it comes to a course like you're referencing, the universities influence is playing a roll. Good luck.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Here in my part of PA the local courses have gone up on average a few dollars. Some courses have stayed the same but many have increased $3-5 over the past season. Absolutely none have gone down in price.

The private clubs are taking a beating though. Membership dues have dropped as well as initiation fees being as much as 90% less than they used to be! My father's club at one point in the mid-late 90s was charging $30K+ as an initiation fee with a wait list of a few years, 10 years later, I can join for $3500 paid over 10 years with membership dues at 50% for 3 years and gaining 10% every 3 years after meaning you'd get 15 years of discounted dues. Early this year I joined a different club on a very similar deal which they have since done away with as the program generated over 50 new members under the age of 35, and most of us game 5+ rounds a week.

For the most part I think many of the better public courses are finding a niche even in this economy. One of my favorite public tracks here did not raise their rates but at $59 for a weekend with GPS cart if you do not get a tee time by Wed for the coming weekend you are in trouble. The place has 27 holes and tee times every 7 minutes, yet they are booked solid. They manicure the course as well as most private clubs, and better than some in my area. And because the course and people treat everyone so well business is booming. I think they realized that many people have dropped their memberships at private clubs and this place is the next best thing without having to fork over $500/month plus food/bev/proshop minimums. With money being tight for many why pay for golf you are not going to use? Smart public courses that offer great golf at a fair price can really do well if they know what they are doing.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

What they forget as well is that other dollars are spent just by people walking through the door. Make the rates $60-$65/round and you'll have the guys that buy clubs, balls, gloves, beer, lunch, etc.

One other thing that kinda got my goat. Last year they started a "Platinum membership" for $5000 which included all you could play. I was talking with another member who not only paid that, but another $2000 for his spouse, and $1200 for his kids. So he's into it for $8200 just to play golf (this is not a country club, no other amenities, no monthly dues). Apparently there are 5 members who bought this level of membership. The director of golf complained that he and others "played too much golf" and that they were jacking up the $5000 to $5500 for 2011.

I think I'd rip the guy a new one if he said that to me. It's like saying you "ate too much" at the all you could eat salad bar. If you don't want people to be able to play unlimited golf, don't make the membership for unlimited golf. What's even more, it's not like him being out there costs the course anything (except for a bit of wear and tear on the cart, and that's probably only pennies). So the director has pissed off $25,000+ of upfront revenue, and these guys are looking for somewhere else to play for 2011.

For me, it actually works out well. I pay $750 for the year, access to their great short game area, and I pay $32/18 holes to walk after work. It's convenient, and as far as I'm concerned, less members and less round played is good for me. I don't have to wait, the course gets less wear, etc. I would have to believe they're subsidized by the University, so it's not like they're going to go out of business. And it's a great, challenging golf course.

About the only downside is that the championship flight keeps getting smaller each year and won't be worth playing pretty soon... Oops, there 4 less rounds of golf (with cart) that they won't get from me!

I'm in the metro Detroit area, as well (west side), and I play most of my golf in the Ann Arbor/Brighton area -- my parents live in Lansing, and we usually meet up in the middle on the weekends. Most courses we play kept their rates flat, and a couple have lowered them, and are offering more specials. However, the city course where I live (Pheasant Run in Canton) jacked up their rates -- both for annual memberships and normal green fees. It's a decent course -- 27 holes, Arthur Hills design -- but it's not worth 60 or 65 bucks, that's for sure. I just checked, and the fall rates are $45 on weekends! For shaggy greens (probably aerated, as well) and playing in less than ideal weather a lot of the time, that's way overpriced.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Prices are flat around here. Public course traffic is unchanged as well. I think a group of golfers dropped from private clubs to the upper end public courses. Another group dropped down to regular public courses and they're replacing those that had to drop the game for financial reasons. No information on 2011 season passes yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Prices have been flat in S. California at the public courses. The private courses I play as a guest were cheaper last year than this year - primarily because they were giving a deal last year below the normal rate. If you look around, though, you can find deals at public courses on the Internet - e.g., [url="http://www.golfnow.com"]http://www.golfnow.com[/url]. These rates are generally about 25-35% off, but can be as much as 50% or as little as 10%.

Where I live (central Michigan), there's a municipal course that is in the red by a couple hundred thousand dollars. The city was forced to partially fund the loss, which was pretty unpopular. That said, if the course closed, there would be a lot of folks who would be pissed. Their answer was also to raise rates, which is what other courses have done in the area. This place has a history of mismanagement though....they just got a liquor license about 2 years ago (long story).

I really think that in Michigan, where we have the most courses per capita in the country, and with so many that are just trying to break even, they are all playing a game of chicken against each other. Who is going to blink first, and who is going to shut down. I think the other thing that is hurting is that the cost of maintenance is going up...water, fertilizer, and even labor costs are certainly not going down.

Personally, I don't mind the courses raising rates where it makes sense, but some of the stories I've heard are kind of ridiculous (including the ones the OP told about Katke Cousins).

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

My local muni began a "VIP" program that gives small discounts and coupons then applies 10 percent of all money spent to a rewards program. It also has a walking card for 12 rounds for the price of 10, and 12 range buckets for the price of 10.

A local club offered specials of $30 for 18, cart included, on July 4 weekend and all last month as a "get acquainted" deal. That's about half off the regular fee.

So mainly, I haven't seen rates go down, and one course I play at the beach has raised them 15-20 percent, but I'm seeing more specials and coupons. And I've heard others say they've negotiated fees down by as much as 50 percent by just walking in and asking. One guy said he hit range balls at a course for a couple of days and finally the pro shop offered him $40 off to play 18.