Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

Experimented a bit on my 60* Cleveland... I used enamel Testors paint And I filled over the white paint instead of removing it first... I bought Acetone but did not apply it to this wedge. Gonna take it out and see how the paint holds up after a few swings through the dirt first.

For the people who removed the paint from the R11 ASP plate... How did you do it? I soaked mine in Acetone for like 4 hours last night and it didnt do anything to it... I'm gonna head to a hardware store later for some Tal-strip if I can find some...

For the anodized ASPplate you need to use Easy Off Oven Cleaner heavy duty like the picture below:

st_easyoff_f.jpg

for super easy removal get a small bowl and put Comet cleaner (the flake kind) and spray a bunch of Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the bowl and let it mix. Then heat up the ASP plate with a hair dryer (not necessary but heat speeds it up) and place it in the bowl. I literally let the ASP plate sit in the mix for 15 mins and all the andoize was gone and just wiped away clean with a paper towel.....

[quote name='baggedlvintegra' timestamp='1334699921' post='4740230']
[quote name='Cobra Kai' timestamp='1334680987' post='4738226']
Experimented a bit on my 60* Cleveland... I used enamel Testors paint And I filled over the white paint instead of removing it first... I bought Acetone but did not apply it to this wedge. Gonna take it out and see how the paint holds up after a few swings through the dirt first.

For the people who removed the paint from the R11 ASP plate... How did you do it? I soaked mine in Acetone for like 4 hours last night and it didnt do anything to it... I'm gonna head to a hardware store later for some Tal-strip if I can find some...
[/quote]

For the anodized ASPplate you need to use Easy Off Oven Cleaner heavy duty like the picture below:

for super easy removal get a small bowl and put Comet cleaner (the flake kind) and spray a bunch of Easy Off Oven Cleaner in the bowl and let it mix. Then heat up the ASP plate with a hair dryer (not necessary but heat speeds it up) and place it in the bowl. I literally let the ASP plate sit in the mix for 15 mins and all the andoize was gone and just wiped away clean with a paper towel.....
[/quote]

THanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I finally bit the bullet and stripped my brand new Scotty to begin playing with paint fill. I've never attempted any sort of paint fill on anything. Supplies I used were Tamiya clear blue, Tamiya black. Acetone. Very fine brush. Old t-shirt for wiping off excess.

I put the head in a ziploc sandwich bag and poured in some acetone until the cherry bombs were covered. I ended up duct taping the top of the bag to the shaft and found a snug spot for it in the kitchen sink. About half an hour later, the paint just kind of popped off. No effort was required. Pulled the putter out and rinsed with water. I found that once I placed the paint in the letters, I took an old t-shirt and tightly wrapped a small portion around my finger, dipped in acetone and quickly brushed over. Repeating lightly until the excess was gone. All in all I had a blast doing this and went out and bought more colors to play with. The translucent Tamiya colors really pop! Unfortunately these pictures really dont do a justice.

5JpMR.jpg

pmRaC.jpg

X0qIB.jpg

I finally bit the bullet and stripped my brand new Scotty to begin playing with paint fill. I've never attempted any sort of paint fill on anything. Supplies I used were Tamiya clear blue, Tamiya black. Acetone. Very fine brush. Old t-shirt for wiping off excess.

I put the head in a ziploc sandwich bag and poured in some acetone until the cherry bombs were covered. I ended up duct taping the top of the bag to the shaft and found a snug spot for it in the kitchen sink. About half an hour later, the paint just kind of popped off. No effort was required. Pulled the putter out and rinsed with water. I found that once I placed the paint in the letters, I took an old t-shirt and tightly wrapped a small portion around my finger, dipped in acetone and quickly brushed over. Repeating lightly until the excess was gone. All in all I had a blast doing this and went out and bought more colors to play with. The translucent Tamiya colors really pop! Unfortunately these pictures really dont do a justice.

5JpMR.jpg

pmRaC.jpg

X0qIB.jpg

Don't do a justice? Those pics look great! The blue that was used in the weights/face/"california" is the same, right? It looks perfect! Which tamiya paint is that? I want that blue with a matching translucent red and white. I used <$1 nail polish from Target which did the job for now but I really want the end result to look as if it were done by the custom shop and not a DIY job.

What technique did you use, anything special or did you just apply the paint and let it do the work itself?

I'll take pics of mine in a few minutes

5JpMR.jpg

pmRaC.jpg

X0qIB.jpg

Don't do a justice? Those pics look great! The blue that was used in the weights/face/"california" is the same, right? It looks perfect! Which tamiya paint is that? I want that blue with a matching translucent red and white. I used <$1 nail polish from Target which did the job for now but I really want the end result to look as if it were done by the custom shop and not a DIY job.

What technique did you use, anything special or did you just apply the paint and let it do the work itself?

I'll take pics of mine in a few minutes

I was concerned that it would turn out DIYish but I'm proud to say that it looks legit. Absolutely gorgeous. The Tamiya paint I used was called X23 Blue Clear and their standard black. As for technique, I started by taking the very fine brush and just poking the letters with paint as to not get paint anywhere other than the letters but that got old really fast. I just started dipping the brush in paint and covering the desired areas with the paint and not worrying about paint outside of the letters. The trick I found was to use an old t-shirt and take a small portion and tightly wrap it around your finger leaving no creases. Then dip your finger in Acetone(now that Im typing this out, it does not sound too safe) and just quickly brush over the letters as if you were using a squeegee or something but very lightly. It would take about 4-5 passes until all of the excess paint was removed but it eventually looked good. Every now and then you will accidently pull some paint out of a letter but just go in a tap a little paint in there and wipe again.

Now as for the cherry bombs and weights, it is completely different. Much easier but it's trial and error. I just dip my brush in my paint and then place a drop of paint in the center of the cherry bomb or weight and kind of spread it around carefully. Too thick and your color wont have that translucent pop, too thin and it will look, well, thin. Ill post some pictures later today of the cherry bombs I filled with a clear smoke color and a pic of the bottom with the weights back in. It turned out really really nice. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Here's the pictures I said I'd show. Again, I used .99 cent target nail polish just to get me by, I have every intention to swap out for the Tamiya X paints. This was cheap and it actually looks really great, especially outside while on the golf course. Sorry for the quality of the images, I haven't cleaned up my clubs yet from yesterday's round. So yeah, the putter is a bit dirty and could use a bath. But as you can see from the last 5 rounds the paint on the sole is starting to show signs of wear, but the paintfill on the face and the back are both still fine, just dirty.

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1335971835' post='4831810']
Here's the pictures I said I'd show. Again, I used .99 cent target nail polish just to get me by, I have every intention to swap out for the Tamiya X paints. This was cheap and it actually looks really great, especially outside while on the golf course. Sorry for the quality of the images, I haven't cleaned up my clubs yet from yesterday's round. So yeah, the putter is a bit dirty and could use a bath. But as you can see from the last 5 rounds the paint on the sole is starting to show signs of wear, but the paintfill on the face and the back are both still fine, just dirty.
[/quote]

That looks really good! The Tamiya X clear paints will give you that translucent pop for sure though.
Here is the smoke grey I mentioned in the cherry bombs (lighting is awful) and another image of her with the weights back in.

[attachment=1146876:photo-1.JPG]

[attachment=1146878:photo.JPG]

[quote name='madjsp' timestamp='1336013646' post='4836978']
pingzing, how did you take out the weights?
[/quote]

Look around the bay or here for a scotty weight tool. It's a little "wrench" that you use to remove the weights to change them and what not.

@pingzing, again... that blue looks amazing. I love it. It kills me to see yours because it makes me want to change my paints so badly!

[quote name='John O. M.' timestamp='1336049373' post='4838592']
[quote name='madjsp' timestamp='1336013646' post='4836978']
pingzing, how did you take out the weights?
[/quote]

Look around the bay or here for a scotty weight tool. It's a little "wrench" that you use to remove the weights to change them and what not.

@pingzing, again... that blue looks amazing. I love it. It kills me to see yours because it makes me want to change my paints so badly!
[/quote]

Hey I appreciate it! I had a lot of fun doing the paint work and am going to play with some new colors this weekend.

Madjsp: John is right, I bought a tool off of Ebay for like $15 I think. Much cheaper than the ones Scotty sells. I actually had to increase the leverage with some socket wrench extenders to get one of them out. There was an immense amount of loctight in there. You might be able to use needle nose pliers. I was able to get one weight out with the needle nose but the other would not budge.

Good luck!

has anyone tried to remove the paint from a cleveland black platinum putter. I want to do a custom paint fill on my #7 but don't want to mess up the black finish. I am not sure if it is black oxide finish or not because they give you an oil rag with it. Any help with what I should use to strip the paint that won't harm the finish would be great. Like would acetone mess with the finish or is nail polish remover safer.
thanks

acetone shouldn't have any negative effects on either the driver clubface or the putter finish on the cleveland. I have yet to read any threads where someone used acetone to remove a paintfill and it somehow ruined their finishes.

Now if YOU painted the driver face black yourself, with paint... yes, the acetone will remove the paint depending on what you used. But that shouldn't be the case, it is already black.

[quote name='madjsp' timestamp='1336061676' post='4840104']
Is it possible to paint the weights without taking them out? Or will it ruin the seal glue?
[/quote]

Oh for sure! I painted one while waiting for the weight tool to arrive. Paint shouldn't get any where near the seal. If it does, your using too much paint. When painting the weights you shouldn't need to wipe any excess off. Just drop a tiny bit of paint in the center and carefully spread. Repeat until you have desired effect.

[quote name='pingzing' timestamp='1336070190' post='4841452']
[quote name='madjsp' timestamp='1336061676' post='4840104']
Is it possible to paint the weights without taking them out? Or will it ruin the seal glue?
[/quote]

Oh for sure! I painted one while waiting for the weight tool to arrive. Paint shouldn't get any where near the seal. If it does, your using too much paint. When painting the weights you shouldn't need to wipe any excess off. Just drop a tiny bit of paint in the center and carefully spread. Repeat until you have desired effect.
[/quote]

depending on the weights you are using and on which type of putter, of course.

Ohh I see. Well, I can't imagine acetone being good for the o rings but I did soak the head with weights still in and there has not been any issues. I do plan on buying some more o rings in case they do end up falling apart due to the acetone bath. There was loctite in the threads and I didn't replaced the loctite. Those weights are in there pretty good.

Does that answer your question? If not let me know!

[quote name='pingzing' timestamp='1336084040' post='4843094']
Ohh I see. Well, I can't imagine acetone being good for the o rings but I did soak the head with weights still in and there has not been any issues. I do plan on buying some more o rings in case they do end up falling apart due to the acetone bath. There was loctite in the threads and I didn't replaced the loctite. Those weights are in there pretty good.

Does that answer your question? If not let me know!
[/quote]

Unfortunately for my golf club, it did answer the question. Now it's gonna suffer to my amazing artistic ability! Thanks.

[quote name='joeykukz' timestamp='1336167277' post='4850374']
look to paint fill a ghost putter. if i go out of the lines and use the acetone to fix it will it take pff the white ghost paint?
[/quote]

I did a quick search on the forums and came up with these.

"[color=#1C2837][size=2]I can confirm citristrip is safe. I left it on for a few hours with no effects to the white. I then used acetone for touchup. I don't know about leaving it in the acetone for long periods. "[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]"[/color][/size][color=#1C2837][size=2]I removed two of the black lines from a Corza and it came out fine. I used nail polish remover, used a q-tip and put some in the line and waited for about 5 minutes and it came right out."[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]Here is the link I was referring to: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/435159-custom-paint-fill-on-ghost-putter/[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]
[color=#1C2837][size=2]
[/size][/color]

Here's a couple pic of my Cleveland classic BP #7 I did a couple days ago. Was afraid to soak it in acetone because I didn't want it to mess up the finish. Love how it came out, need to do a little touch up do think its pretty good for my first time. Also if anyone knows for sure if the acetone or anything won't mess with the finish let me know because I would like to end up doing it the correct way. Also thinking about getting a black shaft and all black grip too.

[quote name='bluesmp4' timestamp='1336311476' post='4858190']
Here's a couple pic of my Cleveland classic BP #7 I did a couple days ago. Was afraid to soak it in acetone because I didn't want it to mess up the finish. Love how it came out, need to do a little touch up do think its pretty good for my first time. Also if anyone knows for sure if the acetone or anything won't mess with the finish let me know because I would like to end up doing it the correct way. Also thinking about getting a black shaft and all black grip too.
[/quote]

I'm lovin' that fluorescent orange color. It really pops off against that black. Good job!

[quote name='GOLFISLIFE' timestamp='1336338107' post='4860302']
Anyone know if soaking the head of the new Cameron 2012 selects in acetone to remove the paintfill will damage the black finish of the head itself?
[/quote]

Didn't really damage the finish but I had a hell of the time getting all of the paint out. Then it kind of got really messy and became a disaster. I have paintfilled a lot of different putters and clubs and everything with great success. I ended up sending it back to Cameron to be refinished. Came back looking pretty good but I could see some of the finish wearing off in the back of the cavity. So based on that it could be based on the acetone. IMHO, you need to take your time and just use enough stripper or acetone or whatever to just remove the paint you are trying to and don't do the whole head at one time.

Paradym TD 8° @ 9° | Paradym TD 15° | UW 19° | Honma TW747V 4-9 | Zipcore 47°/51°/55°/59° | Evnroll EV2 Armlock

A little paint bling done tonight on heads bought in the BST from T Shaf, ferrules, shafts, & grips on the Bay:

9d734d66.jpg

ba3a8d4a.jpg

TaylorMade M5 10.5* Atmos Black 6x TS
TaylorMade M5 15* Pro 2.0 7x
915Hd 2H & 3H Speeder 904HB X
TaylorMade P790, 4-P DG 105 Stiff
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50SB, 54SB, 60 Hi Toe
TaylorMade DJ Spider 34" UST Frequency Filtered
TP5X