Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

I posted in another section that I used acetone and put it in a zip lock bag (so my wife doesn't complain I used all of her remover) and in 5 minutes, the paint just fell off. It didn't ruin the finish at all and smells better than the other chemicals out there.

Trying to decide if I should also take off the paint fill from my Cali Monterey and redo it....decisions decisions...my Laguna will be all black paint fill (translucent)...

I just found this thread and thought your acetone in the bag idea was brilliant. I tried it and it was a huge success on my Pro Platinum Del Mar Three

I plan to read the rest of this thread for all the info available and then select a color scheme. I will be using the paints at the end of my post. Thanks for sharing.

imagejpg1_zps568daf31.jpg

imagejpg2_zps4ef7f589.jpg

imagejpg3_zpse617e650.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsb5039e2d.jpg

imagejpg1_zps0c08294b.jpg

imagejpg6_zps4965233f.jpg

imagejpg5_zps09de6ab6.jpg

imagejpg7_zps9ba286c3.jpg

Ok,

Here is what I came up with, in efforts to breathe new life into a putter, via my first try at paint fill.

Thank you to all that posted technic and samples of their work.

OP great thread and special thanks to you.

I ended up NOT using the Acrylics posted in my prior post.

I wanted to try and keep it in the Del Mar spirit and used some neural and bright colors.

With regard to the bombs, I tried completely filling them and they were dark but shiny on the surface. Definitely not translucent.

I was not entirely sold on the looks so, I redid them differently.

I compared the bombs with my GoLo 5 and the wells are not as shiny, so I did not expect to get as much translucent effect on this 1999 putter.

I'm considering polishing the wells with a drill felt tip cone attachment or something of that nature and playing with the amount of paint used to get a more desired look. IDK. I'll see how I like the bombs in the sunlight.

What do you think?

imagejpg1_zps492904dd.jpg

imagejpg1_zps5e238375.jpg

imagejpg5_zps51ded6c8.jpg

imagejpg3_zps46bbe8c6.jpg

imagejpg4_zps5c69b220.jpg

I finally got the color etc. I was looking for.

I was unable to get this from the straight clear green translucent paint.

What i did was:

I got a spoon and poured approximately a nickel size pool of finger nail top coat in it.

Then I dabbed a very small amount of paint in the top coat and used a fine paint brush to blend it without air bubbles.

I must of redone the bombs 5 times in an effort to get proper fill, color, no bubbles etc.

There is a little cleanup left but you get the idea.....

s*** looks like I got emeralds in my Scotty! :)

imagejpg1_zpsd6b7193f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdeda605f.jpg

imagejpg3_zps59ec5773.jpg

imagejpg4_zps8bb4bb48.jpg

I finally got the color etc. I was looking for.

I was unable to get this from the straight clear green translucent paint.

What i did was:

I got a spoon and poured approximately a nickel size pool of finger nail top coat in it.

Then I dabbed a very small amount of paint in the top coat and used a fine paint brush to blend it without air bubbles.

I must of redone the bombs 5 times in an effort to get proper fill, color, no bubbles etc.

There is a little cleanup left but you get the idea.....

s*** looks like I got emeralds in my Scotty! :)

imagejpg1_zpsd6b7193f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdeda605f.jpg

imagejpg3_zps59ec5773.jpg

imagejpg4_zps8bb4bb48.jpg

Man that style of Pro Platinum looks like it would fit bloody perfect in my hands. I'm sure I picked one up before or so in the past in a shop but can't recall it.

I gotta stop it , now i'm on eBay looking to buy another putter in addition to the XG 7CS I just bought.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I know it's basic but if all you want are black or white for number on the bottom of irons or a club that deals with a lot of turf, you've gotta try Krylon Appliance touch up paint. That sh** is the best! It lasts for a long time and sets pretty quick! No need for a clear top coat either!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

[quote name='VNutz' timestamp='1423753778' post='10938107']
That looks good, really good. If you want to find Tamiya paints you might want to look around for train and hobby shops. There used to be a place in Elmhurst that had about 20 feet of wall space dedicated to paints, I was in heaven. Closed up last year though. :(
[/quote]

I go to Dick Blick in Wheaton and they have some good stuff. It's expensive but it works!

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Just finished up stamping / painting filling my wedges. Considering it was my first time doing either, I think they turned out pretty well - definitely learned a few things along the way:

I had great success with the Tamiya paints and using a little alcohol in the cavity. This thinned the paint and allowed it to flow. My first try, I used WAY too much acetone on a rag to wipe up the excess - the orange bled into the white. Ended up using a small q-tip to remove around more intricate details and then a quick light swipe at the end for final clean up.

[quote name='steviethev' timestamp='1423848351' post='10946205']
Just finished up stamping / painting filling my wedges. Considering it was my first time doing either, I think they turned out pretty well - definitely learned a few things along the way:

I had great success with the Tamiya paints and using a little alcohol in the cavity. This thinned the paint and allowed it to flow. My first try, I used WAY too much acetone on a rag to wipe up the excess - the orange bled into the white. Ended up using a small q-tip to remove around more intricate details and then a quick light swipe at the end for final clean up.
[/quote]

Man I tried my hand at stamping a ruined a 60 wedge via a double stamp.
I had to go get another wedge, as every time I pulled my 60 it reminded my at what a dumb a** I was.
Nice job and my stamp set is for sale btw. ;)

[/quote]

Do you have to remove the club heads in order to get a secure stability to do the stamping?

BTW great job.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1423849620' post='10946377']

[/quote]

Do you have to remove the club heads in order to get a secure stability to do the stamping?

BTW great job.
[/quote]

Thanks! My technique got better by the third (58°) wedge (note the lettering)

I did not remove the club heads, this is what worked for me:

I started with the anvil side of my 4" vice mounted on a ~36" high workbench. I put grip tape (double sided) on the anvil portion and then I put the face of the club down onto the tape; the tape gave the face of the club something to stick to to hold it in position as well as keep it protected from any metal on metal contact. I supported the grip end of the club with a stack of wood which kept the face from wanting to pull away from the anvil. For the lettering, I stuck another piece of tape over the general region I wanted the stamping and using a pencil, outlined the approximate lettering.

With the first stamp, I put it on the tape in the location I wanted it and LIGHTLY tapped it to create an impression in just the tape. Once the impression was how I wanted it, I smacked it several (12-15) times with my 5lb engineers hammer, ensuring that the hand holding the stamp maintained constant downward pressure on the stamp to hold it in place. (The tape does a good job of keeping it in line as well.) After giving it the 12-15 hits, I checked depth - if I wanted it deeper, I would carefully realign the stamp and hit it more - the "E" took many more hits than the other letters. The "snow" was super easy - just used a nail-set and there wasn't a need for tape as one hit put a pretty good impression in the steel. (I think I did between 5-7 total hits for each one)

I pretty much followed this guide: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/237444-instructions-how-to-stamp-your-irons/
Except I found a heavy hammer worked better, and that grip tape is wide enough to cover the entire face of the wedge to protect it.

Things I learned about stamping / paint fill :
Patience is key.
Practice helps - buy a cheap wedge from the thrift store to bang around on and practice painting techniques
Don't rush.
Plan out your design in advance.
Buy good metal stamps (I think I will be trashing my harbor freight ones and buying something better if I plan on doing more)
Buy good paint (tamiya was my choice)
Forged wedges stamp a heckuvalot easier than cast, though cast are doable
A heavy hammer is key (My initial attempts on my practice wedge were with a 16oz framing hammer. No good. The 5lb worked WAY better)
A needle applicator paint fill bottle is worth it for small intricate work.
You don't need an acetone soaked rag to remove the over fill - just a little tiny bit damp.
Thinning the paint helps prevent air-bubbles
Paper towels tend to leave lint in the paint when removing overfill - a soft lint free cloth is best
Acetone doesn't remove all fills (and Citrus Strip is garbage.) - Find a good automotive stripper from an auto parts store.

Reading through this thread has really got me wanting to change the paint fill on my Odyssey Metal X Milled 2-Ball and 2-Ball Fang (acid yellow and blue, really Odyssey??) to red. I've practiced on an old putter I had in the garage and it seemed easy enough but still haven't gotten up the nerve to try it on the 2 new putters.

And why in the world has this thread not been pinned yet?

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Here's my first real attempt at changing out the paint fill of a club:

DSC04167_zpsm5hixmuk.jpg

I probably should have started out with an easier putter. The factory paint took some effort to get out. I used acetone fingernail polish remover and a needle. I put the acetone on the paint and let is soak a few minutes and then used the needle to loosen it up and dig it out. I started out with Testors red paint and put it on with a toothpick. But the paintfill areas were narrow and it was hard to control the amout of paint going on so it made for a mess. After the paint dried, I used q-tips and acetone to try and clean off all the excess paint on the sole. I taped off the black areas to keep paint out of them and gently swiped over the paint but it smeared more than anything. It took a lot of practice for me to get it cleaned up. Then on the face, I taped off all of the holes in the mesh but in cleaning up the paint, it took it all off. So I gave up doing the face with toothpicks. It just put too much paint into the milled swirl. And I really wasn't happy with the sole paintfill so I cleaned it all out and started over. This time I picked up a Sharpie oil based paint pen with an extra fine point and got some non acetone polish remover. I could control the paint much better with the pen. And the non acetone polish remover cleaned up what little extra paint there was. I like the way it turned out. Next up is changing over this bad boy:

DSC04057_zpsrx2atdnk.jpg

I hope the acetone won't harm the black finish. That large swirl on the sole worries me. I assume the black finish is under that paint. I hope so anyway. I have a red weight cover ready to put on it.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

[quote name='HuckleBogey_Finn' timestamp='1425132200' post='11046567']
Holy hell,
5 years ago I started this thread. Since then a lot has changed but there are a lot of cool paint fills in this thread. Pretty cool stuff.
[/quote]

Yep great thread you started! I can't believe it's still not pinned. What the heck?

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag