2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1398645321' post='9183507']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1398645016' post='9183475']
[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1398641754' post='9183139']
The woods look fabulous Pigems. Given all of the intricate lines, how do you avoid the paint running into the other crevices when wiping off the excess?
[/quote]

Thank you very much sir, and I'm sorry to hear about your shed, I know all to well how much trouble they can be, being in the line of work that I am. Hopefully they don't come back :)

I use those little round pads women use to remove makeup. I fold them up, soak them with NPR and just whipe small bits at a time trying to only whipe one color at a time until its done, and I use lots of pads. They do run/mix run bit sometimes but it's easy enough to just whipe out the colors that ran and redo them, I love doing paint fills its really fun :)
[/quote]

Never thought of using the pads. I typically use Q-tips soaked in acetone and try to apply one colour at a time. I then attempt to mask off what I've completed, but I think it would be really difficult with the about of lines you have on the bottom of the club head. I know you like to use nail polish. Do you think the polish to let it run or use it straight out of the bottle?

Pigems,

Just put everything back in the shed. What a nightmare. Made my paint-fill trials and tribulations look like a piece of cake. Any suggestions on keeping the critters at bay? Don't really want to put poison down.
[/quote]

Aside from poison(which I find works the best) you can get traps that catch them alive or the old fashioned snap traps and bait them with cheese whiz or peanut butter. their pesky critters but pretty dumb too lol.

As for the paint fill, one color at a time and those pads would work great, I dab(kinda let it drip into place and smudge it around till the area is nice and full with the brush) it on as thick as I can with the polish brush for bigger areas and for lettering I just paint right over the letters with the brush straight from the bottle, make sure to shake well. I do one or to areas then let them dry a bit then do a few more until they are all painted then I just try to whipe each color or section separately as best I can, spots can always be touched up after if it runs a bit :)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

After reading posts in this thread for months, I finally bit the bullet and stripped my Callaway X-Forged wedges. I looked for paint stripper at a couple of automotive stores, and found "Rustoleum Auto Stripper". I sprayed my wedges with this stuff, and within 10 minutes or so, the stock paint had lifted from the wedge surface with no brushing or scrubbing. Now to decide what I'm going to do for paint fill. Has anyone done any paint fill on the X-Forged wedges that turned out well? I was leaning towards green and white or maybe blue and white. I actually kind of like the look of these without any paint fill, but am thinking I'll at least add some paint to the loft numbers, since I carry three of these wedges, and want to be able to see easily see which is which...really don't want to accidentally grab my 54 when I think I have my 62.

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons with C-Tapers
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 51, 56, 60
TaylorMade Spider mallet CS

[quote name='ChezHed' timestamp='1398898154' post='9207057']
After reading posts in this thread for months, I finally bit the bullet and stripped my Callaway X-Forged wedges. I looked for paint stripper at a couple of automotive stores, and found "Rustoleum Auto Stripper". I sprayed my wedges with this stuff, and within 10 minutes or so, the stock paint had lifted from the wedge surface with no brushing or scrubbing. Now to decide what I'm going to do for paint fill. Has anyone done any paint fill on the X-Forged wedges that turned out well? I was leaning towards green and white or maybe blue and white. I actually kind of like the look of these without any paint fill, but am thinking I'll at least add some paint to the loft numbers, since I carry three of these wedges, and want to be able to see easily see which is which...really don't want to accidentally grab my 54 when I think I have my 62.
[/quote]

Superb. I'm going to try that stuff on my old Staffs that I love so much but want a "naked" raw look to. My brief research into a substance that would yield a stripped/raw finish suggested that I couldn't get industrial stuff to strip with. I never tried acetone or thinner because I didn't think it would work.

I'm gonna try that stuff.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1398915190' post='9208949']
[/quote]

Superb. I'm going to try that stuff on my old Staffs that I love so much but want a "naked" raw look to. My brief research into a substance that would yield a stripped/raw finish suggested that I couldn't get industrial stuff to strip with. I never tried acetone or thinner because I didn't think it would work.

I'm gonna try that stuff.
[/quote]

Unless that old Staff paint fill is much different than the paint fill on my Callaways, I'm betting the Rustoleum stripper I mentioned will do the job quite nicely for you. That spray can of stripper was about $8 at Autozone and should do quite a few clubs. Good luck! Post a pic or two of those Staffs, once they're "naked".

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid

Sounds good. Ironically Autozone was what I Googled after Lowe's and Home Depot because it's generally where I get most of my auto stuff (and I know NAPA and O'Reilly have better parts, but Autozone is in my neighborhood).

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[/quote]

Anyone have any idea what this stuff might do to an insert or 2-Ball top areas material?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[/quote]

I had mine w no paint fill last year and they looked great. This year I went w all black on the x forged wedges. It's not flashy, but they look very clean.

Over the weekend, I stripped the paint fill from the bottom of my Rife Trinidad putter with the Rustoleum stripper. When I used that stripper on my Callaway wedges, the paint literally lifted out of the engraving in pieces. On the putter, the paint turned into a thick goo that required a little more work to get out, but after one more shot of stripper, it all came out. It didn't seem to affect the "phantom" (charcoal) finish on the bottom of the putter either.

Here's my first attempt at new paint fill on the putter. I need to re-do a few letters, due to air bubbles in the paint, but it beats the old white paint fill.

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much to all the posters in this topic, i was just able to repainted my Scotty. I used Tamiya Acrylic X paint, needle tip paint applicators, and I scrubbed the area to be painted down very lightly with rubbing alcohol prior to applying the paint. I used Zip Strip paint remover to remove all the paint, and it had no effect on the black oxidized look.

IMG_7061_zps31fde202.jpg

What did you cover the face insert with whjle you painted? I have a protype ix 9ht I am looking to paint fill. I did my white ice without issue but am a bit more concerned with the protype ix (cost and the finer details on the sole graphics). That putter looks sweet ( Miami Dolphins colors?). I'm replacing the red on mine with Master's Green (actually the closest I can get to it).

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1400096707' post='9295723']
If i wanted to strip off the hideous orange from the sole of the X2Hot Pro fairway woods, would i simply rub it with acetone??? I'm cool with a completely blank sole.
[/quote]I had some of this left over from a paint stripping job I did, and tried it on a putter of mine. It worked perfectly:
[url="http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685"]http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685[/url]

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1400097105' post='9295769']
If i wanted to strip off the hideous orange from the sole of the X2Hot Pro fairway woods, would i simply rub it with acetone??? I'm cool with a completely blank sole.
[/quote]I had some of this left over from a paint stripping job I did, and tried it on a putter of mine. It worked perfectly:
[url="http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685"]http://www.homedepot...-GKS3/100144685[/url]
[/quote]

Would you say this product would remove the paintfill on my Bettinardi Studio Stock without effecting the oil can finish? That is all I am worried about keeping me from doing the paintfill in some different colors

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

IMG_7061_zps31fde202.jpg

What did you cover the face insert with whjle you painted? I have a protype ix 9ht I am looking to paint fill. I did my white ice without issue but am a bit more concerned with the protype ix (cost and the finer details on the sole graphics). That putter looks sweet ( Miami Dolphins colors?). I'm replacing the red on mine with Master's Green (actually the closest I can get to it).

Nothing. I was just very careful ;)

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1400097570' post='9295805']
[url="http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685"]http://www.homedepot...-GKS3/100144685[/url]
[/quote]

Would you say this product would remove the paintfill on my Bettinardi Studio Stock without effecting the oil can finish? That is all I am worried about keeping me from doing the paintfill in some different colors
[/quote]That I couldn't tell you. I used it on my Odyssey PT Milled #9, and it worked for that. If I were you, I would be cautious with whatever you used.

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1400098176' post='9295883']
[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1400097570' post='9295805']
[/quote]

[/quote]That I couldn't tell you. I used it on my Odyssey PT Milled #9, and it worked for that. If I were you, I would be cautious with whatever you used.
[/quote]

Yeah that is why I haven't done it yet! I don't hate the paintfill in it now with the green/yellow and white so I am just waiting to find someone who has used a stripper on that finish before to make sure it won't hurt it. Until then I will continue with business as usual. Thanks buddy!

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Just bought these bad boys back yesterday from the guy I traded them to last summer lol. I Got bored tonight and decided to clean them up a bit and Re do the paint fill, they didn't turn out to bad but there wasn't much fill to do on them.

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1400379663' post='9316413']
Just bought these bad boys back yesterday from the guy I traded them to last summer lol. I Got bored tonight and decided to clean them up a bit and Re do the paint fill, they didn't turn out to bad but there wasn't much fill to do on them.
[/quote]

Beautiful set Pigems. Crisp lines on those muscle-backs. The clubs are ready for the conference championships. : ) Go Habs!

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='PeanutsDaddy' timestamp='1400381282' post='9316587']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1400379663' post='9316413']
[/quote]

Beautiful set Pigems. Crisp lines on those muscle-backs. The clubs are ready for the conference championships. : ) Go Habs!
[/quote]

TY sir, and I got them for only $40, for a second time haha. But while the clubs may be ready for the ECF, the Habs looked like they were ready to use the clubs with tht game today lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Just cleaned up these old wedges to go with my TP-9's in what I'm gonna call my "Classic" Bag, I've got an old Cleveland blade putter to go with them too, I just need to find some fairways and a driver now :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Just finished doing my full set. Did my Ben Sayers Top Scot irons and all of my Nike SQ line of woods, also did my vokeys. I went down to my local hardware store and found Natura Strip to strip my clubs. It worked alright, but those old Scots had some pretty tough paint and took a while to break through. The Vokeys peeled quite easy, and the driver and hybrid paint came off simply, but there must have been something different with the 3w, because it was exceptionally stubborn.

The 56 Vokey is based on the Baltimore Orioles Colours (my old ball team was the Orioles) and the 60 Vokey is Based on Yankee pinstripes. The 1 iron is Bubba inspired.

10247420_10152511242876349_7480415972822433792_n.jpg10385400_10152511244911349_1793962658054821759_n.jpg10314735_10152511243006349_8558032676039488723_n.jpg10290646_10152511246541349_3775188261192783201_n.jpg10268503_10152511246601349_8820276994464435100_n.jpg10334242_10152511247976349_2225196683178943963_n.jpg10372332_10152511248191349_6375298036835091764_n.jpg10334264_10152511248421349_8443448170885970596_n.jpg

Titleist 915 D3 9.5* Fujikura Speeder evolution II 661 TS X-stiff
Callaway BB15 14* (set to 16* weight forward) Fujikura Speeder Evolution 665 X-stiff
Callaway Xr 19* Hybrid Proforce V2
Titleist 712U 3+4 (3 with Nunchuk xi, 4 with Recoil Prototype 125)
Cobra King forged CB/MB 5-pw (KBS C-taper S+)
Cobra Tour Trusty 52* KBS hi Rev X
Cleveland RTx 3 56* Project x Lz 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 KBS 610 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio select Squareback no1. SNSR contour grip
35.5*

• 2 weeks later...

Paint filled my Catalina last night. Being a UVa grad, I had to go with Orange and Blue. Ran into trouble on the bottom of the putter. When I went to clean up the excess, the paint smeared and is about down right impossible to get off. I've used the acetone and rubbed my arm out to no end with no luck. Anyone else ever have that problem?

Finger nail polish remover seemed to work a lot better than acetone or thinner. That stuff is just down right toxic.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Use a cotton ball or two and the nail polish remover and it might come off like nothing. I don't know what you used for paint though.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1401400007' post='9391949']
Finger nail polish remover seemed to work a lot better than acetone or thinner. That stuff is just down right toxic.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I actually used nail polish remover (I just said acetone because it's the first ingredient) on a cotton ball and it didn't seem to do the trick. I think it might be the paint I used. Hobby Lobby didn't have Tamiya so I got a diff brand acrylic. Did just about the same thing last night on the Vokeys I worked on

I did a video walk through on how I do my paint fill for anyone who is interested. Here is a link to the thread. :)

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1031395-pigems-paint-fill-method-video-walkthough-inside/

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Hucklebogey Finn for the tutorial and everyone providing pics and feedback here, helped me a lot. This is my first go at paint filling a club and its not too bad but could be better. I used Testors enamel paint and it takes forever to dry, might try nail polish next time....

[attachment=2291273:20140624_150909.jpg][attachment=2291275:20140624_150933.jpg][attachment=2291277:20140624_151349.jpg]