Paint fill 101

HuckleBogey_Finn

Scotty!!![attachment=2646007:20150223_062224.jpg][attachment=2646009:20150223_062217.jpg]

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

I still love going back through this thread. It made me dabble in the custom color idea. Here are a couple, simple examples.
[attachment=2646479:image.jpg]

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

Anyone on here from the UK who has done their own paintfill, do you know where I can get the needlepoint paint applicators from? No luck on eBay, can't find anything like those shown in this thread. Done a couple of Studio Selects now, started with Tamiya Acrylic mini paints on a Newport and recently done a Newport 2.5 with nail varnish. i found the nail varnish much easier to work with, it dries quicker, cleans up quicker and looks fantastic. Got a Notchback on the way so thinking od bright colours against the black finish

[quote name='deepred' timestamp='1425533283' post='11081001']
I'm wondering if anyone has tried automotive paints that come in those fine pin applicators at parts stores?
[/quote]

I have. They work ok. The pen part is not very good, however. Paint takes longer to dry too. Nail enamel seems to work as good as anything, but it is a lot less expensive.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

[quote name='Jaygolf37' timestamp='1425569454' post='11082591']
I'm wondering if anyone has tried automotive paints that come in those fine pin applicators at parts stores?
[/quote]

I have. They work ok. The pen part is not very good, however. Paint takes longer to dry too. Nail enamel seems to work as good as anything, but it is a lot less expensive.
[/quote]

Not the stuff the woman buys., lol

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

[quote name='deepred' timestamp='1425675428' post='11092173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote] I had been buying model paint for years, and it would dry out in the bottle ( got to be expensive) Then I raided my wife's nail polish supply...300 colors, ten different textures. Been sleepin on the sofa ever since.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='dave_79' timestamp='1425503464' post='11077935']
Anyone on here from the UK who has done their own paintfill, do you know where I can get the needlepoint paint applicators from? No luck on eBay, can't find anything like those shown in this thread. Done a couple of Studio Selects now, started with Tamiya Acrylic mini paints on a Newport and recently done a Newport 2.5 with nail varnish. i found the nail varnish much easier to work with, it dries quicker, cleans up quicker and looks fantastic. Got a Notchback on the way so thinking od bright colours against the black finish
[/quote]

use a tooth pick, money.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

The squareback lines are part of the aluminum insert, which is anodized aluminum, meaning it can be removed and redone in any color, so long as you do it at the shop with the proper equipment.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5* Fujikura Speeder evolution II 661 TS X-stiff
Callaway BB15 14* (set to 16* weight forward) Fujikura Speeder Evolution 665 X-stiff
Callaway Xr 19* Hybrid Proforce V2
Titleist 712U 3+4 (3 with Nunchuk xi, 4 with Recoil Prototype 125)
Cobra King forged CB/MB 5-pw (KBS C-taper S+)
Cobra Tour Trusty 52* KBS hi Rev X
Cleveland RTx 3 56* Project x Lz 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 KBS 610 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio select Squareback no1. SNSR contour grip
35.5*

[attachment=2655287:IMG_2809.jpg]
[attachment=2655289:IMG_2806.jpg]
my usa themed bettinardi

This is my first try any criticism or comments are appreciated.

Titileist 913 d2 driver 10.5 regular
Titleist 913 15 3 wood rip phenom stiff
Taylormade rbz stage 2 tour 3, 4 hybrid
Titileist 714 ap2 irons 5-pw ctaper 120
Taylormade atv weges 52,56
mizuno beteinardi co3h

my usa themed bettinardi

Looks great. Love the theme.

I struggled initially with removing overfill without creating an "orange peel" on the paint fill.

My solution was to let it dry at a minimum 12 hours. I then removed overfill with non-acetone nail polish remover.

I took my time and used an old tee shirt with light pressure. The good news is, if I did not like it, I'd start over.

Still not perfect but it is getting there.

I regripped with a Scotty red Pistolero grip.

The putter was from 2000 and the grip was trash.

I also bought this mint original head cover.

She'll be sharing time in the bag with my ago GoLo 5

image.jpg2_zpsxnwhnok0.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsv1bk12yx.jpg

image.jpg4_zps6ib3lsqe.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsxip5ebld.jpg

[quote name='ChristopherMcDonald' timestamp='1425676619' post='11092309']
[quote name='dave_79' timestamp='1425503464' post='11077935']
[/quote]

use a tooth pick, money.
[/quote]

Yeah, this seems to be the best. The built in brush in the nail paint is a little big, I even went to a craft store and bought the smallest brush I could find, it was very fiddly. I was trying to stay within the lettering. I've since learned from trial and error and from what I've read on here, that any paint outside of where you want it is very easily cleaned up. Toothpick seems the best way and I get less bubbles for some reason. Done a nice orange & blue scheme on the Black Mist Notchback, just can't decide whether to fill in the sightline or leave it blacked out. Pics to follow when I work out how to upload them, it looks sweet!

Still surprised that this thread isn't pinned!

Been working on my irons and Red X2 putter with the instructions from the initial post.

Got Black and Clear Orange Tamiya acrylic paint (yeah, World Champion Giants colors...again, Suck it Dodger's fans!) and it's coming out great. Taking off paint with acetone based nail polish remover. Probably easier with the paint stripper, but with some time and elbow grease, it works just fine.

Such good info! Thanks everybody with your advice and pics. Hope to post pictures when it's done.

Some things I learned from trial and error...

1) When working with a dark and a light color, it's easier to go dark first and then light, since if you already paint something light and then a bit of dark paint gets into it, you have to paint over that part, whereas if you go dark first it doesn't show at all if a lighter color gets into it.

2) When filling the cherry bombs of Cameron putters, I filled the circles most of the way and then removed excess with a q-tip until I got the depth I wanted. It also helps round out the paint fill as well.

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

That is what I use on my irons...
1 - No store in town carried the model paint color I wanted.
2 - We have an auto parts store on every corner, so it was easy to find my color (maroon).

The "Pen" applicator works for a short while, but the little brush (like nail polish) is what you will end up using in the end.

TaylorMade M4 on Tour AD IZ
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3W on GD YS Reloaded
Titleist 816H 19*, 22*, 26* on Blue Board
Mizuno JPX 919 Pro (6i-pw) on Recoil
TM MG on Aldila VS Proto 100 (50*, 54*, 58*)
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28 Slotback
2020 Srixon Z Star

I started removing the paint fill on my MXM 2-Ball last night. I picked up some Citristrip to try and it took the paint out of the swirl on the face of the putter easily but the big swirl on the sole has yet to turn lose. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off of there? I also tried acetone and it did nothing to the paint also. I even left the Citristrip on over night and still no efffect to the paint.

DSC04180_zpskjpycr7y.jpg

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1426342514' post='11141623']
I started removing the paint fill on my MXM 2-Ball last night. I picked up some Citristrip to try and it took the paint out of the swirl on the face of the putter easily but the big swirl on the sole has yet to turn lose. Anyone have any ideas on how to get it off of there? I also tried acetone and it did nothing to the paint also. I even left the Citristrip on over night and still no efffect to the paint.

[/quote]

I used Rustoleum Auto Stripper spray on my wedges and irons last summer. Within seconds of spraying that stuff on my clubs, the old paintfill started lifting up. I also used it on a Rife putter, and it did not harm the putter's finish. Might be something to consider. I think I got mine at Autozone. If you look at posts earlier in this topic (probably back around May of last year), you'll see my post that contains a picture of the stuff.

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons with C-Tapers
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 51, 56, 60
TaylorMade Spider mallet CS

[quote name='ChezHed' timestamp='1426404203' post='11145903']
[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1426342514' post='11141623']

[/quote]

I used Rustoleum Auto Stripper spray on my wedges and irons last summer. Within seconds of spraying that stuff on my clubs, the old paintfill started lifting up. I also used it on a Rife putter, and it did not harm the putter's finish. Might be something to consider. I think I got mine at Autozone. If you look at posts earlier in this topic (probably back around May of last year), you'll see my post that contains a picture of the stuff.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I can tell you the Citristrip works well on everything else I've tried it on, just not this one part of the MXM. I can also tell you that it eats the paint right off the back section of the MXMX 2-Ball as I found out. :censored2: Ruined the putter finish on the back so now I gotta see if Continental can fix my screw up. I'm hoping they can remove the bottom swirl too. We'll see I guess.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Will the auto stripper work on putter grips? Like a regular Pingman grip - would it "erase" the white of the Ping on the putter grip without issue if you spray it on the grip?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='deepred' timestamp='1425675428' post='11092173']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

of the deep red variety ; )

I've got a whole collection of colours and I'm all man

I think

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

my usa themed bettinardi

I would use a little swab of rubbing alcohol before dropping in the paint, will give it more of a glass look to it. Very well done overall, I bet took a lot of patience alternating colors like that.

DSC04180_zpskjpycr7y.jpg

I had great luck with pure acetone (not that weak stuff) and a bunch of toothpicks, it almost like flaked out.

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

[quote name='Nismottgtr' timestamp='1427145930' post='11200073']
Has anyone tried a primer before painting? Just noticed on the tamiya site that they sell a primer. Just curious if anyone has tried it out
[/quote]

I'm a Tamiya paint fan who has yet to use their primary on my golf equipment (but have used it on a few fine scale models). I usually add a small amount of Tamiya thinner to the paint before applying. A little paint goes a long way and it dries fairly quickly. I have added a clear coat at times, but the paint wears well and doesn't require a top coat.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1426641759' post='11163607']
Will the auto stripper work on putter grips? Like a regular Pingman grip - would it "erase" the white of the Ping on the putter grip without issue if you spray it on the grip?
[/quote]

I had an old Winn putter grip that I had cut off a putter, and a Lamkin UTx grip I had cut off another club. I sprayed the auto stripper on the white parts (that appear "painted") of those grips, but it didn't seem to have any effect on either of them. When I spray it on clubs, the paint fill starts bubbling up immediately. I didn't see a similar reaction at all, when I sprayed it on the grips.

Cobra BioCell Pro driver
Cobra BioCell+ 5-7 fwy
Cobra BioCell Hybrid
Cobra Amp Cell Pro irons with C-Tapers
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 51, 56, 60
TaylorMade Spider mallet CS

[quote name='ChezHed' timestamp='1427218037' post='11205939']
[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1426641759' post='11163607']
[/quote]

I had an old Winn putter grip that I had cut off a putter, and a Lamkin UTx grip I had cut off another club. I sprayed the auto stripper on the white parts (that appear "painted") of those grips, but it didn't seem to have any effect on either of them. When I spray it on clubs, the paint fill starts bubbling up immediately. I didn't see a similar reaction at all, when I sprayed it on the grips.
[/quote]

Okay. Thanks.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Ok, finally got some pics of my Scotty Cameron [s]Red[/s] Orange X2

Again, thanks to all for the help and advice in this great thread.

[attachment=2678685:P1040163.JPG]

[attachment=2678687:P1040165.JPG]

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game