Year round golfing -- why not move?

Personally I do. We moved from Georgia to SoCal about two years ago and while I always loved Georgia (originally from Coastal Georgia) California is our home and we never plan to leave. This place is great and we have made many good friends. We can play all year and it's hard to beat being minutes from the Pacific, temp in the 70s and seeing snow-capped mountains in the distance. ...& Chicago was an option for our move but I vetoed that city.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1295796161' post='2917569']
SoCal,
don't you think most people know nothing about the difference between a humid hot summer and a west coast dry hot summer? I know so many friends who hibernate all summer in the humid mid-west and east coast because it so gross outside....I just think it's a waste of the best season of the year.
[/quote]
I do think there is quite a difference as those humid summer days can be brutal but I played them. You just have to manage things.. time of day, hydration, that sticky balm :), and a cart vs walking. No way I would have passed on playing in the summer back east. Out here it's crazy as you can walk almost year-round depending on the elevation changes of some courses. I recently got reminded of what humidity was for a few days after those recent rains. To your point, no way I would miss that season/playing time.

[quote name='Jigga' timestamp='1295762428' post='2916919']
[quote name='Redbird' timestamp='1295760253' post='2916834']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1295757046' post='2916671']
Simple - I like being married, and the woman I fell in love with and had little kiddies with loves Chicago. True story: the night before I was going to accept a position in my company that would have had me move to southern CA to be the director of a division for our business interests in California and Hawaii (a week in Maui every month!), my then fiance told me (over the phone - HQ was in another state) she was pregnant and didn't want to move away from her family right when we were going to be having a child. Marched in my boss' office @ 8 am the next day and told him he needed to find me something in Chicago because I wasn't moving. Haven't looked back - well, left that company eventually, but I don't figure I'll ever be leaving Chicago...besides, there's not a better summer city in the world.
[/quote]

We have the highest sales tax in the country, the highest gas prices in the country, a 66% increase in personal income tax (just passed), and the most crooked politicians in the world. This state xxxxxx sucks.
[/quote]

Even with that being said, damn Chicago is great during the summer.
[/quote]

It is and I'd gladly come back to visit. Im trying to convince my wife to get the hell out of here. Ill take Florida, North/South Carolina, Arizona, or Nevada. Hell even Texas depending on which city.

I would like to ask the OP a few questions....
1. How old are you?
2. What do you do for a living?
3. Do you own a house?
4. Do you have a family?
5. Where did you grow up?,is it in the area you currently live?
6. Do you have family and friends where you live?

My guess is that you are 16 years old, go to school, maybe have a girlfiiend but no children, you live with your parents, have no bills, they pay for your golf and really have no idea what it is like to live anywhere but where you live now. Am I close? If I am wrong I am wrong, but from the tone of your post that would be my best guess.

To answer your question, I have lived in this part of the country (Kansas)my whole life, my family and friends are here and I have a decent job. I like the 4 seasons but would be much happier in terms of golf if I could always play 11 or 12 months of the year, some years are better than others but this year and last the weather has been pretty cold through the winter, I have not played since before Christmas. There have been years when I have played at least once per every month of the year, others when it only works out to 9 or 10 months. So far this year it looks like January is out, but who knows what February will bring? Plus there is always the option of taking a vacation to Scotsdale or FLA.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Simple - I like being married, and the woman I fell in love with and had little kiddies with loves Chicago. True story: the night before I was going to accept a position in my company that would have had me move to southern CA to be the director of a division for our business interests in California and Hawaii (a week in Maui every month!), my then fiance told me (over the phone - HQ was in another state) she was pregnant and didn't want to move away from her family right when we were going to be having a child. Marched in my boss' office @ 8 am the next day and told him he needed to find me something in Chicago because I wasn't moving. Haven't looked back - well, left that company eventually, but I don't figure I'll ever be leaving Chicago...besides, there's not a better summer city in the world.
[/quote]

We have the highest sales tax in the country, the highest gas prices in the country, a 66% increase in personal income tax (just passed), and the most crooked politicians in the world. This state xxxxxx sucks.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I should clarify - the metro area - we are actually looking into crossing either the IN or WI border for tax reasons. My company will be leaving IL as soon as our lease is up, and if my company isn't going to be located in IL, I won't be paying taxes unnecessarily, for sure - lemme think about it, better value for your dollar for homes, lower income taxes, lower sales taxes, lower property taxes, better educational for my kiddies, but I'll still be in the metro area and able to enjoy Chicago. Hmmmmm....

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1295900836' post='2921242']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I should clarify - the metro area - we are actually looking into crossing either the IN or WI border for tax reasons. My company will be leaving IL as soon as our lease is up, and if my company isn't going to be located in IL, I won't be paying taxes unnecessarily, for sure - lemme think about it, better value for your dollar for homes, lower income taxes, lower sales taxes, lower property taxes, better educational for my kiddies, but I'll still be in the metro area and able to enjoy Chicago. Hmmmmm....
[/quote]

I'm a college student living in NY right now, and I see my parents struggle with all the taxes NY has to offer. The state government is completely out of wack, the budget is hemorrhaging millions every day, and everyone is giving away half their income just in taxes (income, sales, gas, property, school, etc). I met someone from Florida, and whether or not I have to move because of her I'm going to be in Florida in a year and a half. There's no advantage to me staying. Every state has its issues, but CA, NY, MA, and IL have to be the worst.

[sign here]

[quote name='Fore_Man' timestamp='1294685833' post='2886901']
other than the obvious, family, job, etc..... I just flat out could not afford golfing all year!
[/quote]

That's a good and honest answer. Same for me. I'm a senior and it becomes even more difficult on a fixed income. :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[/quote]

I'm a college student living in NY right now, and I see my parents struggle with all the taxes NY has to offer. The state government is completely out of wack, the budget is hemorrhaging millions every day, and everyone is giving away half their income just in taxes (income, sales, gas, property, school, etc). I met someone from Florida, and whether or not I have to move because of her I'm going to be in Florida in a year and a half. There's no advantage to me staying. Every state has its issues, but CA, NY, MA, and IL have to be the worst.
[/quote]
You're a smart kid. Millions feel the same way if you use the latest census figures as a measure.

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1295908775' post='2921596']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1295900836' post='2921242']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Every state has their issues and I've visited a lot of states but CA blows them all away IMO. I think a lot of Californians get a kick out of folks bashing it so that means they won't come cause if you come & can swing it it doesn't get any better. We are 10 minutes from the beach yet I can walk out my door and see snow-capped mountains in the distance. ..can walk 18 virtually all year long. SoCal is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in the U.S. Before we moved here Chicago & NYC were options. NYC would have meant very good $ but still not worth it IMO & I will never live in Chicago.

Family!!

I really love the change in seasons and winter eliminates the possibility of me messing up Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Marting Luther King and Valetines Day because I'm not golfing and late for the event. Wife expects me to spend time with her brothers and father at the golf course on all the summer holidays, it just fits.

Besides Year round golf isn't all its cracked up to be either as it isn't exactly perfect weather golf. Not a real big fan of some of the extreme ho-t humid weather some of the southern states have in the summer. I was in Tempe in August and I basically had the whole course to myself, it was sooooo HOT. It was super cheap compared to other times of the year there was a reason. Does Augusta close in the summer because its too damn hot in the summer? Thats just messed up, thats when the season starts not ends. Don't understand why people want to live in the sauna.

First time I went to Texas for my college roommates wedding I got out of the car and step on a black thing on the ground which crumbled. I asked him what it was - answer "thats a walnut" response "why would you want to live here" TOO DAMN HOT.

Pacific Ocean, Redwood forests, Yosimite National forest, Sierra Mts, Lake Tahoe, Carmel, LA, San Diego, SF, arts, culture, diversity, Universities, technology, weather, sports... Everything, anything, all year, all the time -- all California.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Tennessee is a pretty good choice-- Nashville has some nice munis, and an affordable package deal. We play if it's in the 30s, so we pretty much play all year long as long as there's no snow on the course or the greens are frozen. Frost delays suck, as we like our crack of dawn tee-times, but generally our winter "break" consists of just about 6-8 weeks of off-and-on golf.

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1295939724' post='2922715']
Pacific Ocean, Redwood forests, Yosimite National forest, Sierra Mts, Lake Tahoe, Carmel, LA, San Diego, SF, arts, culture, diversity, Universities, technology, weather, sports... Everything, anything, all year, all the time -- all California.
[/quote]
I don't think you'd find many people to argue with you that California has incredible natural beauty, great weather, and a ton of things to do. It's just a shame that the state also battles high unemployment, high crime, traffic, high taxes, high cost-of-living, and stifling business regulations that are forcing companies to relocate and causing investors to look elsewhere for a better ROI.

Of course, if those problems didn't exist, we'd all want to live there and you'd end up with more people per square mile than Bangladesh.

I'll be out there in a few weeks (Palm Springs and San Diego) and I can't wait.

[quote name='Bubb' timestamp='1295979593' post='2923537']
[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1295939724' post='2922715']
[/quote]
I don't think you'd find many people to argue with you that California has incredible natural beauty, great weather, and a ton of things to do. It's just a shame that the state also battles high unemployment, high crime, traffic, high taxes, high cost-of-living, and stifling business regulations that are forcing companies to relocate and causing investors to look elsewhere for a better ROI.

Of course, if those problems didn't exist, we'd all want to live there and you'd end up with more people per square mile than Bangladesh.

I'll be out there in a few weeks (Palm Springs and San Diego) and I can't wait.
[/quote]

Just depends on what town, city, neighborhood you live in ... as with any state. I'd hate to deal with LA traffic, so I don't.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Born and raised in Socal lived there 37 years of my life. Is it nice weather? sure can you play golf year round I guess. But needing my wife and I to both make close to 100k just to be able to afford a house and send our kids to private school(sent my daughter to public school for one year in OC worst experience of my life 9 of the 24 kids spoke english as a first language) Income taxes $3.40 for gas,10% sales tax traffic etc I'm over it. We go back to visit family and I can hang for about 5 days. Moved to Denver play 85-100 rounds a year, better schools lower taxes and many great courses. Does it snow? some but most years I can play in all 12 months. Will play friday when it's 60 out and feels like 70 with the altitude.

[quote name='Stevens24' timestamp='1295981233' post='2923605']
Born and raised in Socal lived there 37 years of my life. Is it nice weather? sure can you play golf year round I guess. But needing my wife and I to both make close to 100k just to be able to afford a house and send our kids to private school(sent my daughter to public school for one year in OC worst experience of my life 9 of the 24 kids spoke english as a first language) Income taxes $3.40 for gas,10% sales tax traffic etc I'm over it. We go back to visit family and I can hang for about 5 days. Moved to Denver play 85-100 rounds a year, better schools lower taxes and many great courses. Does it snow? some but most years I can play in all 12 months. Will play friday when it's 60 out and feels like 70 with the altitude.
[/quote]

Denver (and really all of colorado) friggin' rocks. I've been there a few times before and my sister just moved out there about 9 months ago. I have yet to go visit (eesh) but I can't wait to do so. Beautiful area, and yeah...the golf is pretty nice as well. I don't have much of a need or want to play every single day. It sucks when you don't even have the local choice for a few months like here in Chicago, but I'm with you on Denver...you can pretty much play at some point in time during every month of the year.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='hayzooos' timestamp='1295988107' post='2923890']
[quote name='Stevens24' timestamp='1295981233' post='2923605']
[/quote]

Denver (and really all of colorado) friggin' rocks. I've been there a few times before and my sister just moved out there about 9 months ago. I have yet to go visit (eesh) but I can't wait to do so. Beautiful area, and yeah...the golf is pretty nice as well. I don't have much of a need or want to play every single day. It sucks when you don't even have the local choice for a few months like here in Chicago, but I'm with you on Denver...you can pretty much play at some point in time during every month of the year.
[/quote]

I grew up in Colorado and would move back in a heartbeat, great golf courses and in the winter when you can't play golf there are a lot of other things you can do. Unlike GA when it's cold it's just cold with nothing to do lol.

Having lived in NJ for the past 13 years and dealing with the winters is going to make our move to Fort Worth in a couple months that much more enjoyable. Can't wait! Oh yeah, no state income tax, no tolls to work everyday, no tolls for parking everyday and no 1.5 hour commute each way everyday for the wife. I'll be playing as much as possible.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

[quote name='Simp' timestamp='1296005096' post='2924692']
Having lived in NJ for the past 13 years and dealing with the winters is going to make our move to Fort Worth in a couple months that much more enjoyable. Can't wait! Oh yeah, no state income tax, no tolls to work everyday, no tolls for parking everyday and no 1.5 hour commute each way everyday for the wife. I'll be playing as much as possible.
[/quote]

My son lives in Colleyville, TX (Ft Worth). He wants me to move there in the worst way. He just sent me an E-Mail. It's 73* there right now! :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 3 months later...