2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Did Jack ever use this VIP model?

I will share two stories about MacGregor irons. First the JNP forged irons were in my estimation the clubs that caused Curtis Strange to leave MacGregor after winning back to back US Opens with the VIP head. My understanding was that David and the Albany staff were working with Curtis on a new head and that Jack saw it on a plant visit and decided he wanted it and so instead of this club becoming the Curtis model it became the JNP.
The other was i worked on Davids clubs from time to time when i was on tour every week seeing the Maxfli guys had the clubs they needed. David liked leather grips but when he was trying to experiment with Royal grips he asked me to cut off the cap from the Royal and after putting on the shaft to use one of the old plastic caps on the end. David was convinced that the feel at impact was improved with the plastic caps. If you ever took one of Jacks leather gripped clubs and a similar club with a rubber grip and bounced them they had a different sound. If you take one of your old sets with leather grips with plastic caps listen to the sound of the clubs as you bounce the bag. Very interesting. Tad

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tad-

My 1955 set of LH MacGregor MT EOM M80 woods and MT "TP" irons with leather grips do sound different than my newer irons.

Also-
Both the VIP and JNP Personal forged iron models you speak of were RH Only- To my knowledge, MacGregor had Don White ground a custom set of irons for Bob Charles which he used at the 1990 Senior TPC and 1991 US Senior Open.

At the time,[b] $10,000 [/b]was the cost the MacGregor rep quoted for a set.....

• 9 months later...

[quote name='ChristianMc' timestamp='1312715585' post='3458659']
Hello all,
Could you help me with this quick question?
Did Jack ever use the VIP model (see pic below) that he apparently developed with David Graham in 1976? The details of the model can be found in the 1977 Kaplan entry and 1978 (with the 'Response' shaft). I read occasionally that Jack used the classic '67 VIP from that year to around 1975. Then in 1980 he used the prototype of the Murifield and then the Muirfields proper after that. Does this mean he was using the VIPs I refer to in 1977, 78 and 79 (not his most productive years one could argue)?
Thanks for helping out a geek once again!
Christian
[attachment=835279:'77 VIP model.jpg]
[/quote]

I have seen several of these sets at the Nicklaus Museum in Columbus, OH. What also is interesting is the fact that the MacGregor staff bags were not always the green/white color combination that I associate with the MacGregor name. If you go to youtube and watch films of Nicklaus' Open win at Muirfield, you will see the bag was red -- sort of a brick red or Italian red.

[quote name='PKMillerJr' timestamp='1374331935' post='7498130']
Hello all,
Did Jack ever use the VIP model (see pic below) that he apparently developed with David Graham in 1976? The details of the model can be found in the 1977 Kaplan entry and 1978 (with the 'Response' shaft). I read occasionally that Jack used the classic '67 VIP from that year to around 1975. Then in 1980 he used the prototype of the Murifield and then the Muirfields proper after that. Does this mean he was using the VIPs I refer to in 1977, 78 and 79 (not his most productive years one could argue)?
Christian
[/quote]

I have seen several of these sets at the Nicklaus Museum in Columbus, OH. What also is interesting is the fact that the MacGregor staff bags were not always the green/white color combination that I associate with the MacGregor name. If you go to youtube and watch films of Nicklaus' Open win at Muirfield, you will see the bag was red -- sort of a brick red or Italian red.
[/quote]

Perhaps that was a Slazenger bag. Jack was under contract to Slazenger to play their clubs at the British Open.

Which IMO makes his success there that much more remarkable. Can you see anyone doing that today?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1348398738' post='5680655']
[quote name='kaboboom' timestamp='1335099966' post='4767162']
It would seem that pairing the 67 vs. 76 VIPs would be a good comparison of forged vs. cast given that they might both have entered the vintage era indistinguishable to most, and that might include their respective woods as well.
[/quote]

Probably the best comparison ever, was the Hogan Edge irons, from the early 80's. They were made in Cast & Forged and virtually identical. If I remember correctly, the cast specs had a touch more offset. I had a set of both and of the 50 or so people I had try them, not a single person could correctly identify the cast vs forged by hitting a golf ball.
[/quote]

Edge's were a 1989 model and the originals were forged...Edge GCD's came in either cast or forged but they were released in '95...

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1374541199' post='7518038']
Hello all,
Christian
[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps that was a Slazenger bag. Jack was under contract to Slazenger to play their clubs at the British Open.

Which IMO makes his success there that much more remarkable. Can you see anyone doing that today?
[/quote]

My friend, Gene Troy signed Jack for Mac Gregor. He had no interest in the market outside the USA at the time.Remember, that was in 1960, before Arnie and tv recreated interest in the British Open. He signed Jack for northern hemisphere only. Gene told me he thought he had made a mistake because he could have signed Arnie and Jack did not do well in his first pro year. Jack played poorly when he used the Slazenger clubs (with their red staff bag)

CHARLEY PENNA

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1374586630' post='7520912']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1374541199' post='7518038']
Hello all,
Christian
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My friend, Gene Troy signed Jack for Mac Gregor. He had no interest in the market outside the USA at the time.Remember, that was in 1960, before Arnie and tv recreated interest in the British Open. He signed Jack for northern hemisphere only. Gene told me he thought he had made a mistake because he could have signed Arnie and Jack did not do well in his first pro year. Jack played poorly when he used the Slazenger clubs (with their red staff bag)

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Charley, what did Jack use in his three British Open wins (1966, 1970 and 1978)? MacGregor clubs in a Slazenger bag, or did he actually use the Slazenger clubs in any of those wins? He did mention in Golf My Way (written in 1973) that he had contracts to play other than MacGregor equipment outside the US.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1374599773' post='7522680']
It's quite possible Jack used three different iron sets for the British Open Championship wins.

Supposedly the MacGregor 3 wood remained in Jack's bag for over 30 years.
[/quote]

I doubt thatJack ever won a major with any irons except MacGregor. They may have been cast,or forged, but I would bet they were MacGregor

CHARLEY PENNA

[quote name='xgolfx' timestamp='1374605890' post='7523532']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1374599773' post='7522680']
It's quite possible Jack used three different iron sets for the British Open Championship wins.

Supposedly the MacGregor 3 wood remained in Jack's bag for over 30 years.
[/quote]

I doubt thatJack ever won a major with any irons except MacGregor. They may have been cast,or forged, but I would bet they were MacGregor

CHARLEY PENNA
[/quote]

Charley-

I'm pretty sure all of Nicklaus' major victories were with MacGregor irons, though might have been some Wilson SWs used.
The VIP iron set Jack used in the US Senior Open at Oakland Hills, defeating Juan "Chi Chi" Rodriguez in the playoff, remains a favorite of mine.
Some WRXer probably has a good photo of them.

• 3 years later...

For me, this topic is related to the one a few down about cast vs. forged irons, and persimmon vs. laminate woods. I stumbled on a full set of 76 VIPs is a green Muirfield bag. I thought I was getting forged/persimmon, but learned here I really had cast/laminate. I found the irons hit the ball very high with a lot of spin, and read they have "aggressive grooves", but I don't think they are "square" enough to be illegal. But the marvel for me are the woods...they don't look laminated at all, yet I believe they are.

I really think this model was MacGregor's attempt to transition, probably for cost purposes. I think they did a great job, but for the collector, well, I'd rather the other stuff.

They're called "edge grain" laminates. Something to do with how the block is turned in the manufacturing process, as I recall. You cant see the lines on the face as clearly as you can with most laminated woods, but they are still there.

Maybe Charley Penna will see this and provide some insight.

Never heard the term edge grain laminate, but I am not saying it does not EXSIST.

CHARLEY PENNA

It's a term Ralph Maltby uses to describe woods of this type in his Golf Club Identification Guides (and it's the term he uses in the listing for these particular VIPs). His component laminated woods in the early 1980s had the same look as the VIPs in the picture. I believe it's a woodworking term as opposed to being a golf specific term.

Do you remember the MacGregor 300 woods from the late 1970s that were called "Uniblock?" They were said to be made from only 4 pieces of laminated maple.

They weren't around long. I wonder if it was something that proved not to be durable.

I recently acquired a set of these VIP irons in one of the thrifts, so it sent me to this 1980 catalog looking for information. Looking through the catalog also reminded me of this post regarding the terms "edge grain" and "Uniblock"

--Rory McIlroy 

Here is a club Mr Nicklaus actually used.

A personal 1-iron acquired from Jack's club man, Jack Wulkotte, who verified the specs, grip, etc.

This baby has only 15* loft - a real Bear to play - so to speak!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

For me, this topic is related to the one a few down about cast vs. forged irons, and persimmon vs. laminate woods. I stumbled on a full set of 76 VIPs is a green Muirfield bag. I thought I was getting forged/persimmon, but learned here I really had cast/laminate. I found the irons hit the ball very high with a lot of spin, and read they have "aggressive grooves", but I don't think they are "square" enough to be illegal. But the marvel for me are the woods...they don't look laminated at all, yet I believe they are.

I really think this model was MacGregor's attempt to transition, probably for cost purposes. I think they did a great job, but for the collector, well, I'd rather the other stuff.

They're called "edge grain" laminates. Something to do with how the block is turned in the manufacturing process, as I recall. You cant see the lines on the face as clearly as you can with most laminated woods, but they are still there.

Maybe Charley Penna will see this and provide some insight.

Never heard the term edge grain laminate, but I am not saying it does not EXSIST.

CHARLEY PENNA

It's a term Ralph Maltby uses to describe woods of this type in his Golf Club Identification Guides (and it's the term he uses in the listing for these particular VIPs). His component laminated woods in the early 1980s had the same look as the VIPs in the picture. I believe it's a woodworking term as opposed to being a golf specific term.

Do you remember the MacGregor 300 woods from the late 1970s that were called "Uniblock?" They were said to be made from only 4 pieces of laminated maple.

They weren't around long. I wonder if it was something that proved not to be durable.

I recently acquired a set of these VIP irons in one of the thrifts, so it sent me to this 1980 catalog looking for information. Looking through the catalog also reminded me of this post regarding the terms "edge grain" and "Uniblock"

Shallow,

I know who did use these irons...his name was Elihu Smails.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Here is a club Mr Niclaus actually used.

A personal 1-iron acquired from Jack's club man, Jack Wulkotte, who verified the specs, grip, etc.

Texsport

Texsport, what an awesome looking stick! At 15* and my ever slowing swing speed would make that a really "stinger" club ? I would love to have a set of those babies though!

Texsport

Tex-

Alright, you have just piqued my interest ....

What year/s did Jack Nicklaus use this MacGregor Tourney Custom "985 style" 1 iron?...

The style suggests mid-1970s, but there are all of these other photos of Jack using the cast signature grind, and the VIP grind

(which is what I saw at the Senior TPC and US Senior Open)

Played with a gentleman who had an entire iron set of this MacGregor "Jack Nicklaus" signature 985 grind, so I do not doubt it existed.

He was from Florida, and had just been transferred up north to open up a new FL based store.

True Story....

Won the LH version of this MacGregor TC 985 1 iron last year in an auction on EBay, and never received the club.....seller is from GA.....and mistakenly sent me a DEWALT Drill set instead of the LH 1 iron.

Never got the club....Seller told the guy to keep it... "the drill was on it's way"..money was returned two months later, as seller claimed to EBay the club was now "out of the country"...never explained the mix-up.

UPDATE- Seller is no longer registered with Ebay....

Not sure of the year - Mr Wukotte said he helped design the set. He sent me a long letter about 3 clubs I asked him about.

Jack played the 1-iron for a while, but switched to something else.

He sent the set back for a re-grip, but never picked them up again.

I also got a Nicklaus brand metal driver from Mr Wukotte. He said Jack was involved in designing it, and played it in tournaments for a few months. Only marking is Nicklaus on the sole and it has the Wukotte signature tightly wrapped leather grip.

Additionally have a MacGregor persimmon with a Velocitized insert and swept back sole plate with JACK NICKLAUS in script, but not a signature on the sole. Mr Wukotte told me that the hosel wrap and grip weren't his, so he didn't believe JN actually used it. Dave Wood, who was VP of Design for MacGregor for a few years verified it as an Albany club, possibly made for Jack to present at a course opening.

Texsport

Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Jack played this club in the Canadian Open at Essex C.C. in Windsor, Ontario in 75 or 76. I followed both Jack and Tom Weiskof in a practice round and looked in both of their bags. Tom played the split back Tourney Custom irons if I recall correctly.

Jim - Semper Fi

Jmcf-

'76 Canadian Open, won by Jerry Pate.... The JP McCarthy PAL Tournament was at Wabeek earlier that week. Nearly everyone in golf was there... Arnie, Jack, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, Lee Elder, Jim Dent, John Mahaffey, Hubert Green...and those were just the folks I remember seeing either on the course or on the range.

Wabeek was another Pete Dye/Jack Nicklaus collaboration, like Harbour Town.

Not sure of the year - Mr Wukotte said he helped design the set. He sent me a long letter about 3 clubs I asked him about.

I also got a Nicklaus brand metal driver from Mr Wukotte. He said Jack was involved in designing it, and played it in tournaments for a few months. Only marking is Nicklaus on the sole and it has the Wukotte signature tightly wrapped leather grip.

Additionally have a MacGregor persimmon 945 Eye-O-Matic with JACK NICKLAUS in block letters on the sole. Mr Wukotte told me that the hosel wrap and grip weren't his, so he didn't believe JN actually used it. Dave Wood, who was VP of Design for MacGregor for a few years verified it as an Albany club, possibly made for Jack to present at a course opening.

Texsport

Tex-

Thanks.. Am glad you got to talk to Jack Wullkotte, and have a letter from him on your clubs.

Did a lot of Nicklaus bag watching when I could....Never saw that 1 iron, but it doesn't mean Jack didn't use it.

The only clubs MacGregor ever made for LH custom tour performance were for Bob Charles, but we know that story...

Saw Weiskopf use that 985 grind at the '80 US Open at Baltusrol, where Jack won again but with Geo Low putter, not the "White Fang" Bullseye.

Didn't Weiskopf also shot 63 opening round along with Jack?

Additionally have a MacGregor persimmon 945 Eye-O-Matic with JACK NICKLAUS in block letters on the sole. Mr Wukotte told me that the hosel wrap and grip weren't his, so he didn't believe JN actually used it. Dave Wood, who was VP of Design for MacGregor for a few years verified it as an Albany club, possibly made for Jack to present at a course opening.

Texsport

Tex-

Thanks.. Am glad you got to talk to Jack Wullkotte, and have a letter from him on your clubs.

Did a lot of Nicklaus bag watching when I could....Never saw that 1 iron, but it doesn't mean Jack didn't use it.

The only clubs MacGregor ever made for LH custom tour performance were for Bob Charles, but we know that story...

Saw Weiskopf use that 985 grind at the '80 US Open at Baltusrol, where Jack won again but with Geo Low putter, not the "White Fang" Bullseye.

rex235

Ya mean like this one?

Texsport

P S I edited/corrected the descriptive info on the presentation Jack Nicklaus driver mentioned earlier - my memory isn't what it used to be, requiring occasional re verification.

Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
The Cure CX2 putter

Texsport

Tex-

rex235

Ya mean like this one?

Texsport

P S I edited/corrected the descriptive info on the presentation Jack Nicklaus driver mentioned earlier - my memory isn't what it used to be, requiring occasional re verification.

Tex-

Yes! Just like that...

Watched Weiskopf on the practice range at Baltusrol at the '80 US Open...before the 63....

Texsport

That looks like a 985 Custom to me especially the face

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

he surely did..

i got a set of those and used them for about 10 years as i was--and still am--a big fan of jack..

i also got the macgregor tour bag he used at the time..

PS..i also named my son JACK..

....up to now my really close golf buddies still call me "jack"....and that's not my name!!

My youngest is named Nicklaus.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Texsport

Tex-

rex235

Ya mean like this one?

Texsport

Tex-

Yes! Just like that...

Watched Weiskopf on the practice range at Baltusrol at the '80 US Open...before the 63....

Great club, since it's stamped Tommy Armour, that one iron dates back to the 60's, prior to the tourney custom line which succeeded the Armour line, after MacG lost the rights to the TA name in the late 1960's I would guess.

Great club, since it's stamped Tommy Armour, that one iron dates back to the 60's, prior to the tourney custom line which succeeded the Armour line, after MacG lost the rights to the TA name in the late 1960's I would guess.

In Gil Capps' book The Magnificent Masters there is a passage that describes how Weiskopf was sent two sets of TA irons by MacGregor when he turned pro, and how he hit every club from each set, decided which ones felt best and that's how he assembled his playing set.

Yes! Just like that...

I had the privilege of watching Tom work through a large bucket prior to a round at a Senior Tour event in the mid 90s. One of the other fellows standing there asked him what kind of irons he had and Tom answered "MacGregor." They were a 985 model very much like those pictured above. When something works, why change?

Can't remember what was on his bag at the time. I believe he did briefly return to carrying a MacGregor bag on the Senior Tour in the mid 90s after having a Northwestern bag for a number of years. I believe Charley Penna has mentioned here in the past that Tom used three sets of irons his entire career.

I'll never forget seeing Tom do a clinic indoors at the opening of a sporting goods store in 1974. He was hitting one of the MacGregor store line sets they carried, the Tom Weiskopf Crown. He mentioned that those clubs were not all that different than what he used at the time and he could play them provided the shafts were changed.

I wonder what he is using today? He played in one of those Champions Tour legends events back in the summer, but the coverage wasn't very good and we didn't get to see him all that much. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he's using the same model irons to this day. His swing has gotten a little shorter, but it still looks great. He was always a big favorite of mine going back to that 1974 clinic.

--Rory McIlroy 

my understanding is weiskopf used H&B either short irons or wedges. Many good players thought Macgregor short irons/wedges were clunky looking, though their long/mid irons were the BEST. I have a 985 Tourney custom SW and it looks awful, especially compared to the longer stix. Though I like the 985 TC short irons myself (excl the SW).

my understanding is weiskopf used H&B either short irons or wedges. Many good players thought Macgregor short irons/wedges were clunky looking, though their long/mid irons were the BEST. I have a 985 Tourney custom SW and it looks awful, especially compared to the longer stix. Though I like the 985 TC short irons myself (excl the SW).

I'd not heard that before, but I do remember reading a comment from Weiskopf once that he thought MacGregor's short irons were terrible and that Nicklaus' record would have been even greater than it was had he used something else.

It's quite possible by the time I saw Weiskopf in the mid 90s he may have had a full set of Macgregor irons (lead tape sometimes makes positive IDs difficult). The look of the short irons was much improved after David Graham took over much of the design in the late 70s. Other than the one set of 67 VIPs that I bought and quickly resold, I pass on every old MacGregor iron and wedge I see in the thrifts as I have never liked the look and sole design of the short irons and wedges. However, in recent weeks I have acquired a set of the cast "67" blades that were sold at Pro Golf Discount in the early 80s, a set of the cast VIPs pictured above and just this week a very nice set of Muirfields. The short irons and wedges in these sets look great!

--Rory McIlroy