Bourbon

GooseHook

Guess what Bourbon I've been drinking for years, hard to find in the Midwest, but when I lived in the south it was more common? It's made by Blamtons, and it's a lot cheaper. I mean if your going to mix it. What the hey.

C7130443-32FE-4D53-B0B2-860708205DE4_zps8tdhe9c8.jpg

E04F7841-CF59-42DB-B353-E9D58B64B958_zpstax5moq6.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1422026862' post='10803329']
[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1421795547' post='10786187']
Finally picked up some Weller 12 (4 bottles) and Weller Antique (3 bottles). Paid 30 and 29, respectively for each bottle. [b]Some places by me are charging a ridiculous amount like 115 for a bottle of Weller 12.[/b]

Last weekend, I proceeded to make the "poor mans pappy" blend of 60/40 of antique/12 yr. going to let it mingle for 3 weeks. Will let you know how it turns out.

Fairly new to bourbon and been stocking up. Some of my favorites right now are blantons and four roses. The four roses single barrel is fantastic. Plan on picking up the yellow label and small batch as well.

Now anxiously looking forward to the June / September release of small batch limited and single barrel limited.
[/quote]

That's ridiculous. This is a 25 dollar product. This "scene" has really started to annoy me lately. Rare does not equal better.[b] More expensive does not equal better[/b] - this is part of the original appeal of bourbon IMO. All these classic companies selling great aged product for under $35 bucks.

I have little to no interest in the rare game. I will stick to Four Roses SM and SB, Eagle Rare, "regular" Buffalo Trace - at least they are on the shelf most of the time.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Like said, fairly new to bourbon but WT101 and OGD114 have quickly become a staple in my rotation.

As for the "limited editions" or rare bourbons, no way I am paying these ridiculous prices, e.g. $1,000 for PVW 15 yr.

In other news, Four Roses is discontinuing the Single Barrel limited editions. Never tried but some places will now charge a hand full for the remaining limited editions from prior years. No thanks. I'll just keep searching for the private barrel selections that stores pick.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1422035933' post='10804311']
In other news, Four Roses is discontinuing the Single Barrel limited editions. Never tried but some places will now charge a hand full for the remaining limited editions from prior years. No thanks. I'll just keep searching for the private barrel selections that stores pick.
[/quote]

The standard single barrel is one of my favorites. Wouldn't pay the price for the limited edition anyways.

One thing that bothers me, the bourbon-centric restaurants and bars that have all this limited stuff that you'd want to try but would never buy a bottle of - they charge nearly full bottle price for a 2 oz pour. Wanted to try Makers Mark Cask Strength a few weeks ago and the place I was at asked for over $40 for a 2 oz pour.....meanwhile a 375 ml bottle sells for under $40. I'd even pay as much as $15 for a glass of some of these, but $30 or more is insulting.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

I personally really like Woodford Reserve Double Oaked as well as Bookers. I just tried Jefferson's Reserve and it was pretty good, although I don't think I would buy it again. Has anyone had anything from Colonel EH Taylor? I here they are supposed to be excellent. I also really want to try Black Maple Hill, but I can't find it anywhere. Has anybody ever seen it in the store?

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1422202289' post='10814751'][quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1422035933' post='10804311']
[/quote]

The standard single barrel is one of my favorites. Wouldn't pay the price for the limited edition anyways.

One thing that bothers me, the bourbon-centric restaurants and bars that have all this limited stuff that you'd want to try but would never buy a bottle of - they charge nearly full bottle price for a 2 oz pour. Wanted to try Makers Mark Cask Strength a few weeks ago and the place I was at asked for over $40 for a 2 oz pour.....meanwhile a 375 ml bottle sells for under $40. I'd even pay as much as $15 for a glass of some of these, but $30 or more is insulting.[/quote]

Agreed. Wine whiskey bar near me charges 60/90/150 for a 2 oz. pour of pappy 15/20/23.

I would definitely be more annoyed in your situation given that makers cask strength is readily available.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1422244037' post='10818389']
[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1422202289' post='10814751'][quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1422035933' post='10804311']
[/quote]

One thing that bothers me, the bourbon-centric restaurants and bars that have all this limited stuff that you'd want to try but would never buy a bottle of - they charge nearly full bottle price for a 2 oz pour. Wanted to try Makers Mark Cask Strength a few weeks ago and the place I was at asked for over $40 for a 2 oz pour.....meanwhile a 375 ml bottle sells for under $40. I'd even pay as much as $15 for a glass of some of these, but $30 or more is insulting.[/quote]

Agreed. Wine whiskey bar near me charges 60/90/150 for a 2 oz. pour of pappy 15/20/23.

I would definitely be more annoyed in your situation given that makers cask strength is readily available.
[/quote]

Yeah, Pappy is the same here. I'm 100000x more likely to pay over $100 for a bottle than 70 for a splash of something.

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='Doc420' timestamp='1422150256' post='10812243']
For anybody that has direct tv tonight and for the next couple of days they are showing a movie Called Bourbontucky it's pretty good, maybe you can learn some of the history. 239 their audience channel
[/quote]

I thought it was great that they had on a bar in DC that is supposedly a fantastic place - but you are going to pay out the nose just for a sniff of Pappy or anything like that. Lots of people willing to pay whatever it takes - so I guess good for them. But for the same reason there's no chance of me getting hands on limited release stuff in this area. Loved that the bartender at one of the places they filmed said he would often do blind tastings between Pappy 23 and another really inexpensive choice that he picked - the way he worded his response definitely insinuated that a lot/many/most folks couldnt tell the difference.

I dont know, I really have no issues in paying retail for something, even if its up there in cost, but no chance I'm paying 20x retail markup like a store they showed in NYC that was selling Pappy for thousands a bottle. The VA liquor stores are all state owned but even then, lots of seemingly great options in the $25-50 range, I picked up a couple to try [s]this weekend[/s] tonight.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1422482874' post='10836937']
For anybody that has direct tv tonight and for the next couple of days they are showing a movie Called Bourbontucky it's pretty good, maybe you can learn some of the history. 239 their audience channel
[/quote]

I thought it was great that they had on a bar in DC that is supposedly a fantastic place - but you are going to pay out the nose just for a sniff of Pappy or anything like that. Lots of people willing to pay whatever it takes - so I guess good for them. But for the same reason there's no chance of me getting hands on limited release stuff in this area. Loved that the bartender at one of the places they filmed said he would often do blind tastings between Pappy 23 and another really inexpensive choice that he picked - the way he worded his response definitely insinuated that a lot/many/most folks couldnt tell the difference.

I dont know, I really have no issues in paying retail for something, even if its up there in cost, but no chance I'm paying [b]20x retail markup like a store they showed in NYC that was selling Pappy for thousands a bottle[/b]. The VA liquor stores are all state owned but even then, lots of seemingly great options in the $25-50 range, I picked up a couple to try [s]this weekend[/s] tonight.
[/quote]

Was it this store? Granted they have some older bottlings which is Stizel-Weller juice, as crazy eddie would say, those "prices are insane".

http://fidiwine.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=van+winkle

As luck would have it, I was able to score my first bottle yesterday. Granted, it's not "pappy" but Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year. Most places around here are asking anywhere from $300-500 for the 10 year so you can imagine my surprise when I called and asked the sales person if they have anything pappy and he said, yeah, one bottle of the 10 year left @ $89.99. I know, I know, this bottles retails for $39.99 so I did pay more than double but still no where near the prices other retailers are charging.

[quote name='1puttTUT' timestamp='1422740172' post='10858033']
Yeah I heard it was a re-bottled Canadian rye. I also heard they were doing their own from scratch but it won't be available for a few years
[/quote]

Ya...so many NDP (non-distilling producers) putting out products. Many of these products are great...but a bit misleading to the public of the origin. Chuck Cowdery on his blog doesn't believe Whistlepig will ever get that operation going. Why change the source when it's one of the greatest tasting straight ryes around?

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1422482874' post='10836937']
[/quote]

I dont know, I really have no issues in paying retail for something, even if its up there in cost, but no chance I'm paying 20x retail markup like a. store they showed in NYC that was selling Pappy for thousands a bottle. The VA liquor stores are all state owned but even then, lots of seemingly great options in the $25-50 range, I picked up a couple to try [s]this weekend[/s] tonight.
[/quote] I live maybe 2 miles from Buffalo Trace, and you are right about the Pappy, most people can't tell the difference. Many more products come out of that distillery that's just as good. After seeing that store sell their last bottle for 5000 makes me want to track down a few friends and find out witch one of them stole all those cases. I'm not sure the Pappy was ever stolen in the first place, great publicity. Knowing the guys who had access, they would drink it before they ever would think about stealing it.

Buffalo Trace has so many good brands. Eagle Rare, Blanton's, EH Taylor, Elmer T Lee, Weller, Stagg, Pappy. Like an all star team. I even like the regular Buffalo Trace, especially for $24 or so.

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1423106916' post='10887541']Buffalo Trace has so many good brands. Eagle Rare, Blanton's, EH Taylor, Elmer T Lee, Weller, Stagg, Pappy. Like an all star team. I even like the regular Buffalo Trace, especially for $24 or so.[/quote]

Recently was able to locate some Elmer T. Lee. Fantastic bourbon. My only regret is not buying the the last remaining bottle they had when I went the first time. Went back a few days later and gone.

[quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1423155200' post='10890473']
Recently was able to locate some Elmer T. Lee. Fantastic bourbon. My only regret is not buying the the last remaining bottle they had when I went the first time. Went back a few days later and gone.
[/quote]

I have around 1/3 of a bottle of Elmer T Lee remaining, hesitant to finish it off since I know it's going to be hard to find more...at least in PA.

Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1423507002' post='10918317'][quote name='johnnybogey' timestamp='1423155200' post='10890473']
[/quote]

I have around 1/3 of a bottle of Elmer T Lee remaining, hesitant to finish it off since I know it's going to be hard to find more...at least in PA.[/quote]

Place by me has a bottle of the ETL commemorative for sale. Price is $100. Ugh.

Tbh, other places are charging $150-400.

Decisions decisions.

Will I get laughed out of this thread if I said I like the Costco bourbon? I think it was $20 for a liter of 7 year 51.something%. I thought it was outstanding with a cube or two of ice, a surprising discovery since I typically like my bourbons and Scotches neat.

I've bee trying to figure out which distiller these batches come from, but there's a lot of speculation and no definitve answer.

[quote name='vaca22' timestamp='1423581481' post='10924033']
Will I get laughed out of this thread if I said I like the Costco bourbon? I think it was $20 for a liter of 7 year 51.something%. I thought it was outstanding with a cube or two of ice, a surprising discovery since I typically like my bourbons and Scotches neat.

I've bee trying to figure out which distiller these batches come from, but there's a lot of speculation and no definitve answer.
[/quote]

Kirkland brand? My buddy said the same thing and said it may be a Jim Beam, but again that was with speculation. He has tried to find out, but no certainty. He is going to let me try some, but I bet that comes with him "trying" several bottles of my bourbon.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

Anyone know why Blanton's is difficult to find right now? It has been a bottle on my list and over the last month I have not been able to find it anywhere locally.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1423596705' post='10926113']
Anyone know why Blanton's is difficult to find right now? It has been a bottle on my list and over the last month I have not been able to find it anywhere locally.
[/quote]

interesting, I checked two major online retailers and sure enough they were both sold out...if you are SW cheesehead land, you could pop over to a MN byerlys -- they pretty much always have it in stock on the shelves for about $56-$60

Enjoying a Russells Reserve Single Barrel right now, absolutely fantastic. Price right too, $49.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1423606050' post='10927175'][quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1423603630' post='10926909']
Enjoying a Russells Reserve Single Barrel right now, absolutely fantastic. Price right too, $49.
[/quote]

pretty much anything from Russells is top notch...nice choice![/quote]

Agreed. I have a bottle of the 10 year but hear the single barrel is excellent.

[/quote]

If anyone would know, it would be Chuck Cowdery. He usually answers pm on straightbourbon or his email [email protected]

[quote name='ocburg17' timestamp='1423592560' post='10925629']

[/quote]

Kirkland brand? My buddy said the same thing and said it may be a Jim Beam, but again that was with speculation. He has tried to find out, but no certainty. He is going to let me try some, but I bet that comes with him "trying" several bottles of my bourbon.
[/quote]

If I recall, Kirkland has deals with various wineries to basically bottle their wine with a Kirkland label. I hear great things about the kirkland wines. Didn't know they had bourbon.