Bourbon

GooseHook

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've had four roses and eagle rare and liked both of them a lot. Actually, my bottle of four roses was a special edition single barrel. I've been doing more research, or as much as you can online, and have decided that I need to go to a whiskey tasting. There's just too many options! I've got my eyes on Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18 (I think that's the age... Been a long day), Thomas H. Handy, and maybe a buffalo trace experimental if i can find a place would let me do a tasting.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve that I've been working on and I like it quite a bit. Really nice flavors.

On a unrelated note, I had a buddy get me a bottle of Tullamore Dew "Phoenix" for my birthday. At 55% abv that stuff does the job quick. Considering the high abv it is still a pretty nice drinking whiskey. A little bit of a bite lets you know it means business though.

I've never heard of Barterhouse... sounds delightful though.

I've been off wheated bourbons (which is what Pappy is). I like the spice of rye bourbons (Four Roses Single Barrel is my go to).

Marksimus: Those bottles you listed (Eagle Rare 17 and Sazerac 18) are beasts to find... you might be able to find some in a GOOD whiskey bar, but good luck finding a bottle. They are part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection. I got 2 of the 5, and I'm a fanatic.

5 bottles are:
Sazerac 18 - Rye
Thomas H Handy - Rye
George T Stagg - Bourbon
Eagle Rare 17 - Bourbon
WL Weller - Bourbon

That said, the George T. Stagg bottle I picked up is one of the best pours of bourbon I've ever had... only better bottle this year was the Four Roses Small Batch 125 anniversary.... which was amazing.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1397246291' post='9069933']
I've never heard of Barterhouse... sounds delightful though.

I've been off wheated bourbons (which is what Pappy is). I like the spice of rye bourbons (Four Roses Single Barrel is my go to).

Marksimus: Those bottles you listed (Eagle Rare 17 and Sazerac 18) are beasts to find... you might be able to find some in a GOOD whiskey bar, but good luck finding a bottle. They are part of the Buffalo Trace Antique collection. I got 2 of the 5, and I'm a fanatic.

5 bottles are:
Sazerac 18 - Rye
Thomas H Handy - Rye
George T Stagg - Bourbon
Eagle Rare 17 - Bourbon
WL Weller - Bourbon

That said, the George T. Stagg bottle I picked up is one of the best pours of bourbon I've ever had... only better bottle this year was the Four Roses Small Batch 125 anniversary.... which was amazing.
[/quote] Baterhouse is new its coming out as part of an "orphan whisky" collection. The reviews I've read on it say its alright but not quite worth the price other than for the cool factor

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I have a barter house open - I picked mine up at 15% off. There are still plenty on the shelves by me - also old blowhard.

I'd say for me - it's not worth it. A bit woody, different taste than other bourbons which is nice, good balance for the proof. Smells average. I'd prefer other more affordable bourbons than this one. It'll be in the rotation when I want something different.

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

I'm going to run by one of my favorite liquor stores this afternoon and see what random pricey stuff they have,

I haven't bought an interesting bottle in awhile... really haven't seen anything new I wanted to try. Maybe today that streak will end!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='Mr. Grumpy' timestamp='1397606689' post='9100335']
Eagle Rare has been extinct here since Jan. No real word on when there will be more. I have been hitting Woodford in the absence.
[/quote]

Ha. Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare last night... I love Kentucky.

Apparently yesterday was a limited Pappy release. I was unaware and uninvolved... i'm not hunting down bottles until Fall.

I wish the release dates were flipped, as I'd like to get BTAC, but if I don't, i might just buy a case of Old Forester Birthday.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1397652444' post='9103041']
Eagle Rare has been extinct here since Jan. No real word on when there will be more. I have been hitting Woodford in the absence.
[/quote]

Apparently yesterday was a limited Pappy release. I was unaware and uninvolved... i'm not hunting down bottles until Fall.

I wish the release dates were flipped, as I'd like to get BTAC, but if I don't, [b]i might just buy a case of Old Forester Birthday[/b].
[/quote]

mmmmmmmm.... I looked around for bottles of that after I tasted it at a bar one night. I couldn't find any local to me.

[/quote]

Ha. Picked up a bottle of Eagle Rare last night...
[/quote]

Grrrr.....

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

If you get an opportunity try the Bookers 25th anniversary offering.

It's barrel proof but the flavor is outstanding, great balance, subtle sweetness and has a lot of depth.

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1397665566' post='9104599']
[/quote]

I wish the release dates were flipped, as I'd like to get BTAC, but if I don't, [b]i might just buy a case of Old Forester Birthday[/b].
[/quote]

mmmmmmmm.... I looked around for bottles of that after I tasted it at a bar one night. I couldn't find any local to me.
[/quote]

Old Forester Birthday is an interesting beast... when it's released in KY you can find plenty of bottles for the first week or so... and then it's gone forever.

I'd say its as good as any of the other limited releases. It comes out every September.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Great thread. I've always drank wild turkey 101 and never gave other burbons a try. After finding this thread I've became obsessed with trying different bourbons. Four roses small batch is great flavor wise, Eagle rare 10 year is incredibly easy to drink for some reason.

How do I get my hands on bottles that the liquor store doesn't stock? How do you find out about limited releases? When I asked at my local store here in Ohio, the man said that the state determines what they get. The Weller 12yo has me interested as does the eagle rare 17.

I just picked up a Booker's 25th. If I can't get a hold of Pappy's I'm gonna give it to my dad for his 90th bday.

While I am not a fan of rye bourbons I bought a bottle of Lock Stock and Barrel rye and I was blown away. It is not sweet like other ryes or rye based bourbons. Absolutely phenomenal. Putting it on the no share/bottom shelf next to the Pappy's it is that good.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='tuffy' timestamp='1397962556' post='9128467'] Great thread. I've always drank wild turkey 101 and never gave other burbons a try. After finding this thread I've became obsessed with trying different bourbons. Four roses small batch is great flavor wise, Eagle rare 10 year is incredibly easy to drink for some reason. How do I get my hands on bottles that the liquor store doesn't stock? How do you find out about limited releases? When I asked at my local store here in Ohio, the man said that the state determines what they get. The Weller 12yo has me interested as does the eagle rare 17. [/quote]

Weller 12 should be back on shelves soon...

Limited release (BTAC, Pappy and Old Forest Birthday) all come out in Fall, starting in September... you have to stay on top of it, though... it's kindof a pain.

Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my two bottles that is always in the house (Old Forester Signature is #2). There are plenty of great bourbons to try...

Elmer T Lee
Bowman Brother's
Old Forester (Signature)
Buffalo Trace

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1398277945' post='9153175']
[quote name='tuffy' timestamp='1397962556' post='9128467'] Great thread. I've always drank wild turkey 101 and never gave other burbons a try. After finding this thread I've became obsessed with trying different bourbons. Four roses small batch is great flavor wise, Eagle rare 10 year is incredibly easy to drink for some reason. How do I get my hands on bottles that the liquor store doesn't stock? How do you find out about limited releases? When I asked at my local store here in Ohio, the man said that the state determines what they get. The Weller 12yo has me interested as does the eagle rare 17. [/quote]

Weller 12 should be back on shelves soon...

Limited release (BTAC, Pappy and Old Forest Birthday) all come out in Fall, starting in September... you have to stay on top of it, though... it's kindof a pain.

Four Roses Single Barrel is one of my two bottles that is always in the house (Old Forester Signature is #2). There are plenty of great bourbons to try...

Elmer T Lee
Bowman Brother's
Old Forester (Signature)
Buffalo Trace
[/quote]
Bought a bottle of buffalo trace the other night and its not too bad. I'll keep my eye out for the others you listed, but I don't recall seeing them at the store.

Buffalo trace has a lot of body to it, but just ain't clean at all. Neither is the Eagle Rare 10 IMO- a touch cleaner, but nothing to write home about. Not a fan of either- pass them off to guests.

Slighter Auburn

[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1398400451' post='9166587']
Buffalo trace has a lot of body to it, but just ain't clean at all. Neither is the Eagle Rare 10 IMO- a touch cleaner, but nothing to write home about. Not a fan of either- pass them off to guests.
[/quote]
You're probably right about the buffalo trace, it has an after taste that i dont care for. The eagle rare has potential but just lacks something.
I tried a couple woodfords tonight and just didn't like them. So for now four roses and wild turkey will be the everyday drinks.

Picked up a 20 yo Old Barterhouse Orphan. Took a quickie when I got home last night- but I had just gotten done eating PF Changs and had a few Asian Pear Mojitos so my palate was worn out & judgement was "clouded."

An eye opener- hits you with a little heat and complex flavors is all that I remember. Reminds me of 23 yo Elijah Craig, only much more refined/cleaner- like pushing the Dolby button on a cassette player on the Craig.

Slighter Auburn

[quote name='tuffy' timestamp='1398478645' post='9173125']
[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1398400451' post='9166587']
[/quote]
You're probably right about the buffalo trace, it has an after taste that i dont care for. The eagle rare has potential but just lacks something.
I tried a couple woodfords tonight and just didn't like them. So for now four roses and wild turkey will be the everyday drinks.
[/quote]

Find Old Forester Signature if you can... it shouldn't be too hard. I think you will find it to be perfect for you. I'm not a huge fan of Eagle Rare or BT, but they are great starter bourbons to see where your appetite stands.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1397823692' post='9117809']
[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1397665566' post='9104599']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Old Forester Birthday is an interesting beast... when it's released in KY you can find plenty of bottles for the first week or so... and then it's gone forever.

I'd say its as good as any of the other limited releases. It comes out every September.
[/quote]

Thanks, I just set a calender reminder for next September to be on the look out for it.

I keep seeing Evan Williams Single Barrel at the store and I've been wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it?